PDA

View Full Version : At what length did your hair start to split?

Hypnotica
March 21st, 2008, 04:16 PM
Recently (past BSL and 2-3 inches from waist) I'm finally noticing splits in my hair. Not so much in the very ends, but in the shorter hairs.

When did your hair starting to show splits?

AJoifulNoise
March 21st, 2008, 04:19 PM
I had a couple once I passed BSL. Now, past waist, I have a few more. So, about the same length as you.

eadwine
March 21st, 2008, 04:27 PM
I used to have them a LOT back when. Now, not so many. It needs a trim after about 18 weeks though.

Carina
March 21st, 2008, 04:30 PM
I had splits like crazy when I was between shoulder and apl.But now they don't show up that often.I'm so happy that splits don't bother me so much anymore.My ends tend to be on the dry side.

jojo
March 21st, 2008, 05:13 PM
I have noticed more since reaching APL

Bloodflower
March 21st, 2008, 05:22 PM
One year ago I got bangs cut at chin length. Every now and then I see a split end in them. For the rest of my hair, splits usually appear from around waist length. This is also were the massive tapering starts.

MadPirateBippy
March 21st, 2008, 06:08 PM
I started getting splits at BSL, and after that it's harder to keep the hair split free.

Blueglass
March 21st, 2008, 06:11 PM
I think they can form anywere. In practice the longer your hair the more likely.

HairColoredHair
March 21st, 2008, 06:58 PM
Any lengths, any time. *sigh*

Mahars
March 21st, 2008, 11:13 PM
Oh I didn't know splits were more likely on longer hair. That explains why I don't have any yet at APL. And here I was thinking I was so lucky. :(

akurah
March 21st, 2008, 11:32 PM
Oh I didn't know splits were more likely on longer hair. That explains why I don't have any yet at APL. And here I was thinking I was so lucky. :(

I'm not sure they're more likely on longer hair, I suspect it's more likely on *damaged* hair. If someone manages to grow their hair out to tailbone and actually succeeds in protecting it from damage (doesn't dye, blowdry, straighten, protects from mechanical damage such as from backpacks or being shut into doors, etc., etc., etc.), it's entirely feasable for them to have maybe a dozen or two of splits at the very most (and keep in mind, there's a LOT of hair on one's head).

Or you might have a girl with a chin length bob who's bleached her hair into oblivion, and every single hair on her head has a split.

It's really all relative.

littlemiss
March 22nd, 2008, 12:47 AM
from my exprieances split ends go hand in hand with long hair some people have a few others dont!! its the luck of the draw!!

AquaViolet1973
March 22nd, 2008, 02:14 AM
I've noticed splits on both my longest hairs, and also on some shorter hairs. Some of the splits are a couple inches from the end of my hair. It is very frustrating.

ilovelonghair
March 22nd, 2008, 02:17 AM
I have splits everywhere from the hairs that are longer then 10 centimeters. But lately there are less splits (I s&d them every week)

AmandaPanda
March 22nd, 2008, 03:58 AM
I started noticing them after BSL. That's not to say I didn't have any before then, I just never found any

Lisa-Maria
March 22nd, 2008, 04:09 AM
I get them all over though not in greater numbers, anyone else starting too feel the S&D urge risning?

Faepirate
March 22nd, 2008, 04:09 AM
I've had splits ever since APL. But I don't remember a time when I had hair shorter than APL. :p
My hair was always quite badly handled, though. I let it loose in all weather, brushed too hard, used too much shampoo, straightened, curled etc. etc. etc.

It's almost waist-length now and the ends are usually a bit dry but I'm noticing fewer splits these days. I don't know if it's just that I'm not being so obsessive about finding them.... but I swear I used to see them all the time. It's just been a while since I've had to go on a split mission with the scissors.:cheese:

I think oiling the ends may be the answer here. :]

Edit:

Some of the splits are a couple inches from the end of my hair. It is very frustrating.

Oh me too! In fact, I get more splits an inch into the hair than I do at the very ends. I've no idea why this is, but it's very annoying.

sapphire-o
March 22nd, 2008, 05:32 AM
I haven't found any yet at tailbone length. My hair is virgin and has never been handled roughly, even before I found LHC. My DH's hair is mid-back now and has very few splits. His hair is soft, fine and nearly invisible, but virgin and well cared for. I think it's quite possible to grow long hair without much splits. Maybe you won't have many either. :)

flapjack
May 28th, 2008, 02:46 AM
I have yet to find these guys on my head.

Gulbahar
May 28th, 2008, 02:54 AM
As a finehair I always have had splits although my hair is not dry or damaged. It's not even the longest hairs which are split or broken but all the shorter hairs that stick out of braids. I have to to S&D very regularly to keep them at bay. :rolleyes:

n3m3sis42
May 28th, 2008, 03:02 AM
I have fine, thinnish hair and I don't remember ever not having splits (except maybe when my hair was above shoulder length). I have a lot fewer splits now than I used to due to better haircare and less damage.

peachy.pudding
May 28th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Waist length

Ashley
May 28th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Around BSL already, I guess it's inevidable with long hair... and I do wear it up 99% of the time. :)

Riot Crrl
May 28th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Length does not seem to matter at all. What does seem to matter is how recently I have trimmed. (And some other things like how much peroxide I put on it.)

I'm actually amazed I don't have any since my last trim of three months ago, but that was also about the same time I got rid of peroxide and replaced it with henna, so maybe that's it.

frizzinator
May 28th, 2008, 05:36 AM
I have always had splits, although never in large quantities. I noticed them as soon as my hair was long enough to hold in front of my eyes so that I could see them.

Daoine Sidhe
May 28th, 2008, 05:51 AM
For me, the length doesn't matter, it's how long it's been since the last trim.
Three months after the last trim new split ends appear. It starts with two or tree hairs that are splitted.
The rest follow quick if I wait longer to trim (up to 4 months).

Iylivarae
May 28th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Mostly in my front layers, they are about APL. The longer hair is almost not damaged, so I hope that also stops... so I really can't answer your question, sorry!

mira-chan
May 28th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I didn't notice splits until about tailbone length. When I had my hair at hip length the first time I remember wondering what those were because they were the reason a friend of mine cut her hair short. Having coarse hair is likely a factor in this.

DiyaC
May 28th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I seem to get splits from shoulder length onwards. I've never straightened, dyed, bleached, colored, curled or otherwise chemically damaged my hair. I keep it tied back most of the time too. And yet, I get splits. Almost every hair is split. I just can't figure out the reason for this happening.

Millielie
May 28th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I found a few ones.. And my hair is at shoulder length :mad:

spidermom
May 28th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I didn't have enough length to pull hair forward and check until about APL. I had them then and I have them now.

jivete
May 28th, 2008, 12:41 PM
My hair is fine and pretty fragile and I've always gotten split ends, no matter what length. I'm hoping to have less now that I don't use shampoo, heat, box dye, etc.

Saranne772
May 28th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I get them at any length really. I also find that for every one I cut off I find two more ARGHHHH Never ending problem for me

RavennaNight
May 28th, 2008, 01:00 PM
One year ago I got bangs cut at chin length. Every now and then I see a split end in them. For the rest of my hair, splits usually appear from around waist length. This is also were the massive tapering starts.

I seem. To get splits exclusively in my old bangs. They are about APL, the rest is BSL. I don't know why I get them there and not so much in the rest. I'm not complaining. At least its isolated and I actually s&d'd them this morning.

chelly
May 28th, 2008, 01:38 PM
i've always had split ends, i find that i get them at the nape of my neck since i wear hoodies ALL the time and thats the spot that rubs the most. Usually every few months they get so bad that i just chop an inch off of that area to get rid of the damage. I also find them throughout the rest of my hair but not nearly as bad. I get regular trims but because i have damaged hair from chemical dyes i think it'll always be a battle until i can cut that hair out in a few years time.

cutastrophe
May 28th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I remember, waaaay back in the day before I started dying my hair, I had lots of split ends. It must have been mechanical damage since I wasn't chemically treating it. So the bleach/dye hasn't caused me to get split ends, but my virgin hair would get splits all the time, which is weird. :confused: I guess since it's constantly frizzing out all over the place, it just doesn't have the time or energy to split itself in two anymore.

Chromis
May 28th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Any! The only dying I've done is with henna and indigo and it has never been touched by heat appliances.

I've even found split hairs on my arms!

Isilme
May 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I had them at bsl when my hair was virgin but had mechanical damage. I now have less with waist/hip length and half the hair dyed with box dyes two times in a row two years ago. I handle my hair a lot better now. But it seems like I get more splits in my former face framing layers, which seems weird to me :s

chrissy-b
May 28th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Like Gulbahar and a few others, I get splits on random hairs, not necessarily on the longest ones. They're pretty much always there no matter the length.

squiggyflop
May 28th, 2008, 07:01 PM
for me it wasnt so much a length but a condition of the hair.. as soon as i started dyeing my hair it started to split.. i would bleach it white all the time so that i could get manic panic colors to come out as vivid as possible..

forgetmenotak
May 28th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Before I found LHC and was treating my hair badly blow drying it all the time; my hair was between apl and bsl and I had massive splits. After some s & d's and treating my hair much better I really don't have any. My hair is now just past bsl. :) yayayay me!

rubyredslippers
May 29th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I can't remember a time without at least a few splits, except after a few drastic haircuts, and when my hair was too short to pull forward to examine. Even then I noticed splits 2-3 months afterwards. My nape hair is always really bad for splits.