PDA

View Full Version : I need som serious advice (dryness and more, wavy hair)

Lady SleepsAlot
October 9th, 2016, 10:27 AM
I have gotten so much help from you guys in the past, discovering that my hair was not a frizzy mess, but wavy hair treated like straight hair.
I have since stopped brushing my hair, using an old tee to gently press my hair with after showering, and generally learning new things about the care of my hair.

My problem right now is that my hair is insanely dry, and has been for a long time. I have tried absolutely everything, and my hair is thinning more and more. (to top everything off, I recently tried going back on the mini-pill which resulted in a lot of my hair falling out.. this was months ago and I'm still losing a ton of hair every day, which is why I need even more help to get my hair to a healthy state again)

I have tried every conditioner there is, I have tried all the different moroccan oils and treatments, coconut oil and olive oil.. In short, oils leave my hair even more dry than before. I've also tried cures, butters, and almost any product the local hairdressers would recommend, but nothing seems to get my hair to hold on to any moisture.

My hair is wavy, if I work at it while wet I can get some light curls, especially my bangs since they are lighter and shorter, but I would still describe my hair as lightly wavy. The hair around my face is the first to dry, and is generally dryer than the rest of my hair.

What am I doing wrong? Is there something I'm missing? I had to cut so much of my hair off because of damage, and I'd like to avoid cutting even more..

Kat-Rinnč Naido
October 9th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Hi and welcome to the LHC

I cannot answer for the thinning. I can suggest you visit your doctor and have that checked
But I would like to know is your strands getting thinner or are you shedding a lot.

Also which shampoo and conditioner does your hair like from all that you have used.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
October 9th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Do you use any leave-in conditioner and have you tried the LOC styling method

animetor7
October 9th, 2016, 11:36 AM
I know this is the standard answer for everything. But have you tried clarifying? Build up can sometimes show up as dryness, and if it's just a matter of needing clarifying, that's easy to fix!! What I would do is use a sulfatey shampoo to clarify (my favorite is suave) and then follow that up with an SMT and see how your hair feels afterwards. Good luck!!! :) :flower:

littlestarface
October 9th, 2016, 11:40 AM
You got my kind of wavy hair exactly lol, we need moisture every time we wash, it takes time but soft hair will happen. You need to tell us how your washing your hair? Are you doing CO, CWC, or a regular washing? Are you pre oiling? Our wavy hair needs lots of moisture so honey and conditioner is the key ingredient. I can't use cones maybe you can't either.

Let us know everything.

lapushka
October 9th, 2016, 11:51 AM
I have gotten so much help from you guys in the past, discovering that my hair was not a frizzy mess, but wavy hair treated like straight hair.
I have since stopped brushing my hair, using an old tee to gently press my hair with after showering, and generally learning new things about the care of my hair.

My problem right now is that my hair is insanely dry, and has been for a long time. I have tried absolutely everything, and my hair is thinning more and more. (to top everything off, I recently tried going back on the mini-pill which resulted in a lot of my hair falling out.. this was months ago and I'm still losing a ton of hair every day, which is why I need even more help to get my hair to a healthy state again)

I have tried every conditioner there is, I have tried all the different moroccan oils and treatments, coconut oil and olive oil.. In short, oils leave my hair even more dry than before. I've also tried cures, butters, and almost any product the local hairdressers would recommend, but nothing seems to get my hair to hold on to any moisture.

My hair is wavy, if I work at it while wet I can get some light curls, especially my bangs since they are lighter and shorter, but I would still describe my hair as lightly wavy. The hair around my face is the first to dry, and is generally dryer than the rest of my hair.

What am I doing wrong? Is there something I'm missing? I had to cut so much of my hair off because of damage, and I'd like to avoid cutting even more..

Do you CO-wash? Some people can't have conditioner touch their scalp without losing *bucketloads* of hair. If that's the case, please go back to shampoo. You could try a sulfate-free shampoo (although some experience more fall-out even then). You'll have to experiment a bit.

Your hair might need a clarify-wash, to remove product buildup and such. Clarify washing (sulfate shampoo without silicones) is sometimes recommended.

Lady SleepsAlot
October 9th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Thanks so much for all the replies!

My strands are naturally very thin, but I have a lot of them. So I'm shedding a lot more than I ever did before, but I really think that is because of the hormones. It is a common side effect of the birth control I tried, but it just isn't stopping even if it is months since I stopped taking the pill.

I usually wash my hair only once a week, and I use neccin shampoo because it is the only shampoo that keeps my scalp somewhat decent, I tend to have a lot of dandruff and itchy scalp.
Since my scalp is sensitive, I dont use conditioner on it. I've tried it in the past, it didn't do anything good.

I have tried oiling my hair before washing it several times, with coconut oil, with olive oil and even tried an eggmask once, but when those things leave my hair feeling a bit like it's going to break off because of it getting so dry and coarse, I'm thinking it isn't a good idea to keep doing it.
I've tried several leave-in conditioners including using a watered down conditioner in my hair, and it really doesn't make any difference what so ever. My hair used to have a wonderful shine to it, but now it is very matt looking and extremely dry to the touch.

I dont use any other sort of products in my hair so I cant see that I have a need for clarifying my hair, but I have done that too in the past, and my hair comes out looking exactly like it did before :/

I cant really answer as to what my hair likes and dont like, as everything it liked before suddenly isn't cutting it. But to be honest, no product ever made my hair look amazing, but at least it used to be soft to the touch and look shiny and healthy.

Tatilove
October 9th, 2016, 01:45 PM
It seems that you're already doing the things I would suggest. I havd heard of some fellow curly haired ladies try a steamer. I have never tried it myself, but have heard great things about it. Some women steam their hair then do the LCO/LOC to combat extreme dryness. Good luck!

Arete
October 9th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Firstly, clarify if you haven't lately. All the oils and such probably have built up and aren't helping the situation. Use one that chelates too if you have hard water. Evaluate the state of your hair then, and it will give you a good idea of what you need to do. If your hair is still dry, try an SMT.
Personally, I find coconut oil makes my hair feel WORSE. Safflower oil works for me.
Because this is a sudden change and you haven't had problems in the past, I would definitely see your doctor. There are lots of problems that can cause hair loss (thyroid problems and lupus come to mind, along with many other autoimmune issues). That's not normal for hair to take a 180 like that without an underlying cause that isn't necessarily the hair itself

Kat-Rinnč Naido
October 9th, 2016, 02:14 PM
It's my understanding that your hair needs clarifying and a moisture treatment as well as a drop of a lighter oil or cream to seal. I don't do moisture treatments ... please could someone advise here.

I do not dilute my conditioner which I use as a leave-in, as it works for me fine at normal strength. You could try the same - not water down your conditioner just apply a little on your hair from below your ears all the way down to ends

Also your hair could be sensitive to coconut oil rather not use it for now. And do not put any oils on your scalp. Seems like your scalp has an issue there

Lady SleepsAlot
October 10th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Ok guys thanks SO much! Now I have some things to try :)
I will clarify my hair firstly and see how it looks after that :) I worry that my doctor will not take me seriously if I tell him that my hair has suddenly changed, but I will take it up with him if your tips dont help at all.

You have all been amazing as usual, thanks so much!

Anje
October 10th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Agreed -- start with clarifying your hair. By "clarifying", I mean wash your hair all the way from root to tip with a strong sulfate shampoo. (Honestly, I'd suggest you do it twice.) Those oils and butters and conditioners can build up just like styling products, and so sometimes you need to get them all off before you can get your hair to behave again.

People who complain of dry hair that doesn't respond to anything are typically flagged for the "you should start by clarifying" speech around here. :D