PDA

View Full Version : Are "Pancake" Braids Bad for Hair?

Kae612
October 8th, 2016, 08:01 PM
I've been looking into more braided styles lately, and I often see "pancaked" braids, braids where the edges are pulled out wider so each little wrap of hair "fans" outwards, becoming flatter and wider like a pancake. From the way it's done, braiding and then pulling the hair back up through the braid, I was wondering if it was a damaging style, somewhat like teasing or backcombing? The hair gets pulled and tugged against itself, and kinda goes for the same look - puffier hair. I just tried it for the first time and it felt like my hair was squeaking against itself, I thought it might be doing some damage. I searched google & combed through the LHC forums to check first, but couldn't find anything on it. So, is it damaging, do you know?

Sarahlabyrinth
October 8th, 2016, 08:10 PM
I don't think it would be too bad. I sometimes do it, but to be on the cautious side I wouldn't do it every day.

animetor7
October 8th, 2016, 08:22 PM
I don't think it's too bad. Especially if your starting with fairly loose braids to begin with. Then it shouldn't be tight enough for the hair to squeak when pulled.

Entangled
October 8th, 2016, 08:28 PM
I think it does cause unnecessary friction, but I wouldn't go so far as to put it in the same league as backcombing. I don't do it because it feels too rough, though.

Llama
October 8th, 2016, 08:32 PM
I do it all the time...doesn't "feel" damaging to me. Not at all like teasing in my opinion.

wispe
October 8th, 2016, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't really compare this to backcoming, no. When I pull each stitch to loosen it, the hair isn't being pulled "against the grain". I don't like to do to much pancaking because I like sleeker braids and my layers like to shred if I go overboard, but I don't feel like I'm damaging my hair when I do.

reilly0167
October 8th, 2016, 10:51 PM
I sometimes do a pull through braid style, it's so pretty, but do not find it to be damaging, I think; (if you tie it too tight , then it can be)I usually braid my hair on oil days and I tie it loose so when I pull or fan as some calls it just slides especially taking them down.I don't do it all the time this style, just on days when I want a more stylish look.

Kae612
October 9th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Okay thanks! I started with a fairly tight braid, so I'm thinking that may be why it felt damaging. It probably was! But maybe a looser or oiled braid wouldn't have that problem. Thank you! It's probably not something I'd do super often, just something I wanted to get the hang of - I think it looks exceptionally pretty on certain braids I've seen.

PixieP
October 9th, 2016, 08:21 AM
If you have someone else in the house with you and you feel comfortable with this, ask them to hold your braid while pancaking. Don't put in the hairtie; braid down as far as you want, ask someone else to hold just where the hairtie would be, and then pancake. Makes both for a nicer braid and I feel like it pulls less on the hair.

Anje
October 9th, 2016, 09:05 AM
The effect on the hair by the tie would be my main concern. If you could pancake effectively before tying the braid off, I imagine it would be a lot more friendly to what is already the hair on your head that's the oldest.

lapushka
October 9th, 2016, 09:37 AM
I'd rather braid loosely in the first place, solves it all, really. :shrug:

Cg
October 9th, 2016, 10:03 AM

This is what I do, but mainly for reasons of sloth.

mermaid lullaby
October 9th, 2016, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I braid loosely too

PixieP
October 10th, 2016, 06:25 AM

Not if you have thin-ish hair or hair that compacts very easily. My braids become tiny without pancaking because my hair gets very small when pushed together.

Horrorpops
October 10th, 2016, 08:04 AM
I agree with everyone who has suggested that while it may cause a little friction it probably isn't too damaging. I've done it quite frequently however I do also braid loosely all the time as well. :)

As far as doing this and minimising friction I second having someone else hold the braid, or try pancaking as you go, seems to minimise pulling with the hair band. I usually hold my partial braid with one hand and pancake with the other as I braid downwards. However I would not recommend doing this on oiled hair, mainly because it doesn't work very well for my fine hair (the oil means it keeps clumping instead of fanning out nicely although YMMV).

Hope this helps! :o

ETA: don't know if anyone else finds this... but a weird benefit of these pancake braids for me is that it makes any split ends poke out and easy to trim! :p Very convenient!!

triumphator!
October 10th, 2016, 08:10 AM
It probably roughs up the hair scales a bit and isn't as protective as a tighter braid. All in all it's probably not the worst thing you could do.

HairPlease
October 10th, 2016, 08:59 AM
It probably roughs up the hair scales a bit and isn't as protective as a tighter braid. All in all it's probably not the worst thing you could do.

I agree. I don't see pancaking being all that damaging. Just make sure to do it carefully as with all styles, and a normal braid is probably more protective like umphie said. A rushed, carelessly, roughly done "normal" braid is probably more damaging than a very carefully done pancaked braid.

Silverbleed
October 10th, 2016, 10:10 AM
I think it depends, I don't think it's damaging. However I've seen some people pulling so hard they try to pull it up from their hair tie. I think that could be damaging, my hair would probably break if I would do that.

eadwine
October 10th, 2016, 10:20 AM
I braid loosely, then still pancake. However, like with my two Dutch braids, I braid a section, then pancake, braid another section and pancake that. I never do the entire braid as a whole, I never braid tightly and I don't pancake when the elastics are in. I am still holding the braid in my fingers.

If I don't pancake things look a bit sad :lol:

Cg
October 10th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Not if you have thin-ish hair or hair that compacts very easily. My braids become tiny without pancaking because my hair gets very small when pushed together.

Mine's really thin but I leave it as is. My hair is always bunned though, so width isn't perhaps as important as when the braid is down free. Pancaking can disguise only so far, and in my case that's almost no help, puny little strings.

wispe
October 10th, 2016, 10:40 AM
I pancake as I go as well, it hurts my heart to watch people use elastics (especially super grabby ones!) and then start yanking at their braid. Surefire way to make me cringe.