PDA

View Full Version : How to stop finger combing and killing my wave/curl definition?

melesine
October 8th, 2016, 10:35 AM
I was doing pretty good at not finger combing or running my fingers through my hair when I was trying out some gel earlier this week. But when I don't have product in, like today, I couldn't stop myself. Admittedly it's been a life long habit to the detriment of my wave definition but it's soo hard to catch myself before I do it. I had some killer curl and waves this morning when I took my sleep bun down and now all I have is a huge poof of hair.

I'm mad at myself for doing it but I kept on even when I knew I should stop. I've always been a little obsessed with keeping my hair tangle free. I need to let it go. I'm used to brushing and detangling before bed and putting my hair up and before getting in the shower. I'm trying to do CG so I can stop breaking up my natural texture.

Anyone have any advice. A little commiseration is welcome too :)

Groovy Granny
October 8th, 2016, 12:18 PM
If you dampen and re-bun it, you should be able to recover your wurls.

I hear you....I do the same thing unconsciously; or to help it air dry when I grow impatient :o

A banana clip or a bun helps me on the days I am too 'touchy-feely' with my hair; once put up or styled, I don't want to touch it.
But yeah, when it is worn down I fiddle with it more than I'd like....though less than I used to now that I am aware.

Like any habit...it takes time to break, and time to engrain.
You'll do it....the CG method will be a big help if you are determined to enhance your natural wurls :cheer:

Upside Down
October 8th, 2016, 12:19 PM
Would you consider trying to wear hair up in buns for a month or so? I am pretty sure this would help. Nothing to touch! And after a while a new habit forms. :shrug:

lapushka
October 8th, 2016, 01:22 PM
You *can* finger detangle, then mist it and scrunch it back up. No problem.

melesine
October 8th, 2016, 02:18 PM
If you dampen and re-bun it, you should be able to recover your wurls.

I hear you....I do the same thing unconsciously; or to help it air dry when I grow impatient :o

A banana clip or a bun helps me on the days I am too 'touchy-feely' with my hair; once put up or styled, I don't want to touch it.
But yeah, when it is worn down I fiddle with it more than I'd like....though less than I used to now that I am aware.

Like any habit...it takes time to break, and time to engrain.
You'll do it....the CG method will be a big help if you are determined to enhance your natural wurls :cheer:

Oh that's a good idea about redampening and bunning. At least it's a remedy for when I don't catch myself in time.

melesine
October 8th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Would you consider trying to wear hair up in buns for a month or so? I am pretty sure this would help. Nothing to touch! And after a while a new habit forms. :shrug:

I've actually worn my hair up the majority of the time for years now. You're right, I can't do it then. But I do want to wear it down more often so I need to learn to stop myself.

melesine
October 8th, 2016, 02:21 PM
You *can* finger detangle, then mist it and scrunch it back up. No problem.

Thanks, I need to search around for the water bottle.

lapushka
October 8th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Thanks, I need to search around for the water bottle.

Yes, you can make a nice concoction, if you want. With a splash of conditioner (preferably a thinner one), some EOs, glycerine (if you want and can take it in your hair), etc.. Shake it up, done. I would make a tiny bit though, like half of a small 100ml bottle, so it gets used before it goes bad. I learned my lesson with that a long time ago.

melesine
October 8th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Thanks lapushka.

I'm thinking about making some flax gel too, I have a big bag of flax seeds in my freezer anyway.

Simsy
October 10th, 2016, 06:19 AM
Commiseration...I spent 25 years fighting natural ringlets with a hairbrush and wondering why my hair always resembled the lower half of a fairly sizeable Afro ball. Now, having ditched the hairbrush completely, I'm suddenly finding the curls are so much easier to deal with. (An idea that I figured would result in easier curls or a shaved head, depending on how cranky I got.)

Something I found useful, I only really leave my hair for special occasions and wash days. I find the novelty of having loose, long hair is such that I tend to enjoy gently playing with it. It's like a treat, saved for when I think I have really earned it.

Have you tried gently twisting the curl back in after you have detangled? It still lets you fiddle but may help you build a new habit to replace or build on the current one,

melesine
October 10th, 2016, 06:47 AM
I love that idea. I'll have to try that.

Horrorpops
October 10th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Awww melesine - commiserations! Habits are tricky to break and I think detangling is often instilled in us when we're quite young, making it even harder!

I used to fiddle with my hair a ton when I wore it down (to the detriment of my wurls) however what I've tried to do is just comb it less. I now fingercomb before bed or as necessary, but this is often not daily - more like every few days (because I braid at night and also bun or braid most days). As a result my waves hold up much better and is easier to keep my hands off it now that I've broken the habit. If your hair is super tangle-prone this mightn't be a good option however sometimes the simple solution is also an effective one! :o