PDA

View Full Version : Protein vs Silicones

Flipgirl24
October 8th, 2016, 07:52 AM
Hello just a silly question for all you hair pros! I'm looking for a protein free conditioner because I think the one I'm using now is making my ends crunchy. I'm thinking it is because of the protein (my deduction from reading several threads on here). So if a conditioner or shampoo is protein-free does that mean it has silicones in it and vice versa? If not then does that mean it won't moisturize my hair? Do silicones just make the hair more slippery but not moisturized? And do they interfere with hair colour?

Do you have any suggestions in terms of products without protein?

Sorry for the questions but I would greatly appreciate your sage advice.

ephemeri
October 8th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Hello! Welcome.

A conditioner could have protein and no silicones, or silicones and no protein... or both... or neither. :o

You can find very moisturizing conditioners with proteins, without proteins, with silicones, or without silicones. The variability is endless, really.

Yes, silicones make the hair more slippery. As far as I know, they are not great at moisturizing but for some people will help keep moisture in. For me personally, the heavier silicones make my hair feel crunchy and dry. But it's truly a unique thing. You may need to experiment a little to find out what your hair likes. (Sounds like you're already doing that!).

I don't think silicones or proteins interfere with hair color but perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in on that one. :blossom:

ETA: one of my favorite conditioners that doesn't have protein (or silicones) is Tresemme Botanique Nourish + Replenish. But it does have coconut in it, which for some people can make their hair crunchy. GVP Conditioning Balm (from Sally's if you're in the States or Canada) is another favorite conditioner of mine that is protein-free and silicone-free.

Alissalocks
October 8th, 2016, 08:36 AM
I am in love with Hask's products, and they have deep conditioning packets of different types. One is keratin formula (not what you would want) but another is Argan oil and it's lovely, my hair drinks it up. My hair is very thin so I can get several applications from a single packet.

I'll let one of the smart, scientific types who visit here answer about silicones and proteins, and look forward to learning more too!

Apolli
October 8th, 2016, 08:46 AM
Hello! Just chiming in to say make sure you don't have product buildup if you're experiencing crunchy ends. My hair doesn't that once it gets buildup. Coconut oil can also give crunchy ends for some people. Protein overload can result in rigid hair that snaps off easily (no elasticity).

Also as to your questions, proteins and silicones aren't inherently tied to each other, so a conditioner having one of them doesn't have to not have the other etc... they work on the hair in different ways :)
Silicones add shine to the hair, in addition to slip and like ephemeris mentioned they can also help lock in moisture for some people. I don't know anything about their effect on hair color though:(

pailin
October 8th, 2016, 09:33 AM
I'll just add that while some people like protein all the time, and others never, and the same thing with silicones, you may also find that you do well with silicones or protein occasionally. So some people avoid protein most of the time, but use protein conditioner periodically. Some people avoid silicones in shampoo or conditioner, but occasionally use some. These things aren't necessarily all-or-nothing

lapushka
October 8th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Protein and silicones aren't interlinked or interlocked, whatever the word is. :lol:

I use a shampoo with sulfates but without silicones, because it upsets my SD (seborrheic dermatitis). But that's me. YMMV. I do use silicones (and even protein) in my conditioners, even though I am protein sensitive. In tiny amounts, I can be fine with it.

I would clarify-wash, and start over. Washing with a sulfate shampoo without silicones is fine enough to re-set the hair.

Neither of them will affect color. Sulfates will (stripping).

MsPharaohMoan
October 8th, 2016, 11:17 AM
I think it depends on how you're coloring. If you're using depost only dyes I'd imagine the buildup would be faster using protein/silicone, leading you to need to clarify, leading to a loss of color on the surface of the hair. I don't know much about other kinds of dyes.

Arete
October 8th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Protein makes my hair feel AWFUL, but one of my conditioners has lighter silcones and it helps with slip. (I CWC, first cone free, second with cones). Most likely the crunchy is from the protein if your hair doesn't like. Clarify and change conditioners. SIlcones are fine for most hair types, but may or may not weigh your hair down. Experiment with a few different products.

animetor7
October 8th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Hello! Welcome.

A conditioner could have protein and no silicones, or silicones and no protein... or both... or neither. :o

You can find very moisturizing conditioners with proteins, without proteins, with silicones, or without silicones. The variability is endless, really.

Yes, silicones make the hair more slippery. As far as I know, they are not great at moisturizing but for some people will help keep moisture in. For me personally, the heavier silicones make my hair feel crunchy and dry. But it's truly a unique thing. You may need to experiment a little to find out what your hair likes. (Sounds like you're already doing that!).

I don't think silicones or proteins interfere with hair color but perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in on that one. :blossom:

This, they are not related at all in terms of product formulation. Having one doesn't relate in any way to the presence or not of the other. As for hair color. Hair that is damaged or lacking protein will have difficulty holding anything inside the hair shaft including color and moisture. This is part of why very damaged hair often feels dry. Silicones coating the hair could potentially block color uptake which is why clarifying before coloring is recommended. Once the color is in the hair though, silicone might help keep it there by acting as a barrier over the hair shaft. This can also work for moisture, that's why I use silicones. I hope that helps!!! :) :flower:

gthlvrmx
October 8th, 2016, 11:28 PM
I think some of your questions were answered already. I want to say that most of the Suave Naturals conditioners don't have protein except for the coconut one.

Flipgirl24
October 9th, 2016, 06:20 AM
I am in love with Hask's products, and they have deep conditioning packets of different types. One is keratin formula (not what you would want) but another is Argan oil and it's lovely, my hair drinks it up. My hair is very thin so I can get several applications from a single packet.

I'll let one of the smart, scientific types who visit here answer about silicones and proteins, and look forward to learning more too!

I have the Hask clarifying shampoo with charcoal and the Macadamia Nut oil pack . I've used the shampoo but not the oil pack as I haven't had time. Hopefully I will this weekend. I did like the clarifying shampoo. Thanks for your input!

Flipgirl24
October 9th, 2016, 06:27 AM
I think it depends on how you're coloring. If you're using depost only dyes I'd imagine the buildup would be faster using protein/silicone, leading you to need to clarify, leading to a loss of color on the surface of the hair. I don't know much about other kinds of dyes.

What are deposit only dyes? I use box colour. I'd rather go to the salon but I can't afford it. The Hask clarifying shampoo says it's safe for coloured hair. I used it last Sunday and it wasn't like other clarifying shampoos I've used in the past. After washing, my hair had that squeaky clean feeling which I can't stand. And my hair would be so dry afterwards even though I used a deep conditioner after clarifying.

Flipgirl24
October 9th, 2016, 06:30 AM
Hello! Just chiming in to say make sure you don't have product buildup if you're experiencing crunchy ends. My hair doesn't that once it gets buildup. Coconut oil can also give crunchy ends for some people. Protein overload can result in rigid hair that snaps off easily (no elasticity).

Also as to your questions, proteins and silicones aren't inherently tied to each other, so a conditioner having one of them doesn't have to not have the other etc... they work on the hair in different ways :)
Silicones add shine to the hair, in addition to slip and like ephemeris mentioned they can also help lock in moisture for some people. I don't know anything about their effect on hair color though:(

Thank you! Will clarifying remove the proteins that are making my hair crunchy? I haven't noticed any difference in terms of breakage. I have noticed, however, my ends aren't as bad as they were since clarifying. So thank you!

Flipgirl24
October 9th, 2016, 06:33 AM
Thank you everyone for your help! I think I have some experimenting to do!

Entangled
October 9th, 2016, 09:24 AM
What are deposit only dyes? I use box colour. I'd rather go to the salon but I can't afford it. The Hask clarifying shampoo says it's safe for coloured hair. I used it last Sunday and it wasn't like other clarifying shampoos I've used in the past. After washing, my hair had that squeaky clean feeling which I can't stand. And my hair would be so dry afterwards even though I used a deep conditioner after clarifying.
I believe deposit only dyes are semi permanent ones. They frequently associated with crazy colors, but you can find them in normal ranges as well. I believe some brands are manic panic, adore, directions, and several others.

Thank you! Will clarifying remove the proteins that are making my hair crunchy? I haven't noticed any difference in terms of breakage. I have noticed, however, my ends aren't as bad as they were since clarifying. So thank you!

If You clarify, you should remove whatever build up is on your hair. However, while you mention proteins, I would look at your silicones. They're not evil but they do build up. Protein may or may not be what's causing your hair to be unhappy.