PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who do, do you like going to the hairdressers?

The Ubiquitous
October 7th, 2016, 06:18 AM
Im maintaing short and cant cut it myself so ive no choive but i hate it. Today's trip involved telling the hairdresser I have enough volume (which should be obvious!), don't like lots of products, like movement and dislike straighteners.
She used volumising shampoo, a leave in conditioner, sprayed some other nonsense on (which apparently was "like, pure coconut oil":rolleyes: and was for volume) and put some styling stuff on. The cut seems OK but then she blow dried using a round brush despite me saying numerous times I want it flat and not poofy. At the end I looked like a mushroom so asked her to tone it down. out came the heat protectant. She told me she was just straightening my fringe and then decided to "just flatten everything out". She did this by rolling the straighteners horizontally. Yep. Even more volume. Then she hair sprayed and put some wax stuff on. I didn't have the energy to argue by this point.
Now I have some sort of upside down triangle thing going on, it feels awful and smells even worse. On the plus side it isn't going to move despite the awful wind and admittedly it is very shiny.
I paid £40 for my shiny triangle!

Obsidian
October 7th, 2016, 06:48 AM
I love my hairdresser, she cuts and nothing else. I suppose she would style it if I asked but she Durant offer. I guess she is more like a barber that way.
It's nice going into a shop that doesn't smell like perms and hair spray.
Maybe look around for a barber instead of a stylists.

Kajzh
October 7th, 2016, 06:57 AM
I love it. I love the sensation of hands on my head, and I like the visible positive results after I go. Having others do your hair is also an important part of my culture, so I value it for other reasons as well.

Shiranshoku
October 7th, 2016, 06:58 AM
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience :(
But I'm sure it's not as bad as you feel, big hair is beautiful!

I actually love going to the hairdresser :D
It gives me crazy ASMR tingles. But now that my hair is long, it's way too expensive by default which irks me to no end so I no longer go.

I'm quite assertive, though. The one I used to go to used a tangle teezer, and whenever he did something I didn't want or like I would make sure he knew and stopped.
In the past, I had one experience where I really wasn't satisfied so I complained, scheduled a follow-up appointment and only paid for the second one.

I have a much harder time being assertive like that to people I know, one of my cousins is still learning the trade and likes trying out updo's on me. She did something involving a lot of teasing recently and I greatly regret it. :'(

Frankenstein
October 7th, 2016, 07:29 AM
I sometimes enjoy it. I only ever get my hair cut dry though, no shampooing or styling. The last time I went, my hairdresser for some reason gave me a U shape instead of blunt (which I've always asked for and gotten) so I had to go back and have it evened out. She was cool with it though and fixed it nicely. Still, I'm a little worried about going again after that. Maybe she was just having an off day :shrug: I already had to switch hairdressers earlier this year because my last one did a lousy job, so I'd like to stick with her.

Irialii
October 7th, 2016, 07:59 AM
I'm lucky, I have a good thing going. I've been friends with my hairdresser for years and its always a blast to go to the salon, there's local gossip to catch up on, movie/tv show/book/music recommendations to give, food to eat, tea to drink and alcohol to consume. She gives me and my mum free products, gives us discounts and cuts my dad's hair for free. None of us ever walk out feeling disappointed - she and the others that work there are realistic and take our input and use it to give us what we want in a way that won't destroy our hair. Anytime I get frustrated with my hair and say I want to cut it off, I get reminded to just have a tidy up and that it will make a massive difference and if I really want to cut it I can come back the next week. She's always right, damn her :p

Bezumi
October 7th, 2016, 09:46 AM
I usually hate going to the hairdresser's. I haven't been for years, when I had my tearful Waist + to APL + chop, because of damage.
But when I was 18, before I messed up my health, I had lovely almost hip lenght hair. There was a very expensive salon in Brussels that was hiring, and the hairdressers "candidates" needed to show proof of their talent with a few assignements. One was to cut layers on long hair, so they recruited me in the street (back then, I never ever wore my hair up), and I was all up for it because I have thick hair so I loved myself some layers, especially when it's free ;)
Holly molly that was the best day of my life. Well, not litterally :p, but still.
She gave me some coffee (yay), and I had a pre-cut treatment done that made my hair feel like pure silk, plus she massaged my scalp for like 15 minutes. Pure heaven.
Then she went on to cut the layers and re-do my bangs, and it was just so beautiful : soft, flowy layers, and voluminous but not too heavy bangs just the right lenght. I wonder if it still have pictures because I just thought it was so pretty.
Then I asked her to cut one inch, and she cut exactly one inch. That's already a miracle of its own :p
I really hope she got hired, she was so nice ! I would go back there, but it's like 200e for a haircut. Yikes. Oh well, I was glad to get the experience for free :p

lapushka
October 7th, 2016, 10:11 AM
I usually hate going to the hairdresser's. I haven't been for years, when I had my tearful Waist + to APL + chop, because of damage.
But when I was 18, before I messed up my health, I had lovely almost hip lenght hair. There was a very expensive salon in Brussels that was hiring, and the hairdressers "candidates" needed to show proof of their talent with a few assignements. One was to cut layers on long hair, so they recruited me in the street (back then, I never ever wore my hair up), and I was all up for it because I have thick hair so I loved myself some layers, especially when it's free ;)
Holly molly that was the best day of my life. Well, not litterally :p, but still.
She gave me some coffee (yay), and I had a pre-cut treatment done that made my hair feel like pure silk, plus she massaged my scalp for like 15 minutes. Pure heaven.
Then she went on to cut the layers and re-do my bangs, and it was just so beautiful : soft, flowy layers, and voluminous but not too heavy bangs just the right lenght. I wonder if it still have pictures because I just thought it was so pretty.
Then I asked her to cut one inch, and she cut exactly one inch. That's already a miracle of its own :p
I really hope she got hired, she was so nice ! I would go back there, but it's like 200e for a haircut. Yikes. Oh well, I was glad to get the experience for free :p

That's like *massively* overcharged. Where I live in Belgium it's like €40-50 last time I went (which is like 10 years ago, or just about).

Shiranshoku
October 7th, 2016, 11:56 AM
As a longhaired gal I get charged €60 or more. Simply because it's long! Also in Belgium, last time was 2 years ago.

lapushka
October 7th, 2016, 11:59 AM
As a longhaired gal I get charged €60 or more. Simply because it's long! Also in Belgium, last time was 2 years ago.

There was a salon in my town that charged for long hair (aka past shoulder). Yeah, I know, like €5 to €10 more depending on your hair.

littlestarface
October 7th, 2016, 12:08 PM
That's like *massively* overcharged. Where I live in Belgium it's like €40-50 last time I went (which is like 10 years ago, or just about).

How can you say that she was massively overcharged? Your not a hairdresser and you don't even know why they charge that much. Every place has different prices and one can't say to another "oo you were overcharged"

humble_knight
October 7th, 2016, 12:45 PM
I like salons/barbershops if the person cutting my hair does a good job. There's a black barbershop near me, run by a Jamaican, who is very meticulous in cutting hair and beards. Most of his customers are men, but he charges the same for women if they come in for a haircut.

Upside Down
October 7th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Never. The music, the noise, the conversation topics. Not my cup of tea. Never was!

Oh and I can not stand thise things they make you sit in to wash your hair. How does anyone think that could be comfortable?

Bezumi
October 7th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Oh it is massively overcharged ! Which is why I don't go there. It's a very upscale part of town, so it's already like 60 euros for a haircut in that area. It's just a place where very rich people go to get their hair very richely cut.
I'm a student so no way ever I'd pay for that. But it was a very luxurious experience.

Edit : I checked, it actually seems to be around 100euros. The 200 figure I had were for the whole highlights and stuff, it's just that the crazy number had been stuck in my head. Still crazy expensive though.

animetor7
October 7th, 2016, 02:10 PM
I like the scalp massage and someone else playing with my hair, but I don't like how it always seems like all the hairdressers are eyeing my long hair and wanting to chop it short. I also don't like the heat damage from blow drying and the sulfates in all the salon shampoos. It's also rare that I find a hairdresser who doesn't chop more than I ask. All in all I just prefer trimming my own hair. I did have a hairdresser back home who was phenomenal!!! She always listened to what I wanted, but would tell me if I really needed more cut due to damage or to get the look I was going for at any given time. She also managed to give me long subtle layers that just made my hair look lovely and soft. But then she retired and I never found anyone who listened as well, so I've started self-trimming. I haven't found a way to get the layers she gave me again though, compact cutting doesn't give me the effect I'm going for. That's okay though, Feye's self trim U hemline is good enough. :)

I will say if you can find a hairdresser that works well with you, you can get haircuts that you aren't able to replicate at home, and can be very lovely. :)

Kirby-oh
October 7th, 2016, 05:02 PM
I go to a barbershop for mine, my stylist trims just enough to remove splits and even up the parts that grow faster than others, nips a bit off the beard, then shaves the back of my neck, puts in some beard oil, I can get some leave in if I want, it's very nice. Haven't gone in quite a few months because I have been waiting for her to come back from maternity. :P I see her on the schedule again, thinking about heading back...

Music stuff is on every wall, most of the men have beards, several of the ladies have long hair themselves, you can tell from the atmosphere this is where things are done right. :)

sommer
October 7th, 2016, 05:37 PM
I love it. I love the sensation of hands on my head, and I like the visible positive results after I go. Having others do your hair is also an important part of my culture, so I value it for other reasons as well.

I deeply agree with you! :) I adore going to the hairdressers, that's so pleasant, especially if you're going to make smth complicated on your head, I mean the hairstyle for a special occasion or to dye your hair in a crazy colours like here (http://machohairstyles.com/best-punk-hairstyles/) :o Always such a ritual for me, I adore to feel the other hands on my head too and to see after all the amazing results! :o Such a relaxing procedure for me too :o
But sometimes it takes such a long time... :D

yogagirl
October 7th, 2016, 07:20 PM
I had a love/hate relationship with going to the hair dresser. I haven't had to go in about 1.5 years luckily.

Pros:
- hair would feel so nice after. This is probably because they used clarifying shampoo. I have my own now, so I can get the smooth, shiny feeling myself.
- sometimes I would like the cut.

Cons:
- I would be anxious leading up to it, fearing the awkwardness and he possibility getting a horrible cut I might not like.
- cost
- trying to let them know my preferences without sounding like a crazy person. What can I say, I can be particular...

When I went I usually told them:
- no leave-in products, DEFINITELY nothing stick like mousse, gel or spray
- no razor
- no flat or curling iron
- sometimes would even tell them not to blow dry and I would just walk out with damp hair. I just prefer the air dried look :)

embee
October 8th, 2016, 05:51 AM
One of the joys of growing my hair long was being able to give up salon visits altogether. I like the people, they're very nice and it's a hoot listening to the gossip, but I hate the actual hair experience, the massaging of my head, the smells, the whole procedure. But when my hair was short I had to go often for trims. I hated that.

Flipgirl24
October 8th, 2016, 07:43 AM
I love having someone wash my hair and massage scalp. My current hairdresser doesn't really do a good scalp massage but he cuts my hair the way I want it and doesn't use a lot of product. The thing I don't like is the cost. He is the head stylist so I pay what I think is a mint. I think he deserves it for sure just hard to shell out the money plus tip. For the little I do with my hair, I feel like I'm being one of those high maintenance celebrities. Without the actual riches of course! I had one hairdresser years ago whom I loved but she retired. I traveled to another city to go to her. She would make sure every strand was perfectly cut. I also don't like when they retire or leave! It's hard to find someone I can trust!

OhSuzi
October 8th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Ditto yogagirl, love/hate.

Because until now I've never tried to grow it long,

Pros were picking something completely different and getting excited about the new style and the colour. The sensation of someone else washing and massaging your head, feeding you tea and wine and how ridiculously shiny and smooth it is after.

Cons - cost, any where from £30 to £150 (U.K.). Small chat, I am a social retard and prefer to sit in scilence and let them get on with it, than ask me what I do for work when they don't really care and I hate my job. The styling, the cut is usually great and grows out great, but they often style it with like a poofy bouffant or they can't deal with the cow lick in my fringe despite the fact I've warned them and told them to leave it they will over straighten it, which just damages it and makes it stick out so then they try and hair sprayglue it into place.

I am also of those people who takes pictures of every angle, and drawings and Give specific instructions, but it's still hit and miss. Sometimes they listen to me, sometimes we get half way though and I'm thinking this us exactly what I wanted they've listened and chopped it only to my chin level, but then they are sneaky and lift sections of your hair upwards and chop into them and then drop it back down and suddenly my hair is ear length.

The last lady who cut my hair, I was so mad because she didn't listen I asked for an undercut that was pointed like /\ at the nape of my neck, instead I got / a weird slantedone that was too high at one side. I asked for a bob and that I was trying to go grow my hair long and I'd managed to put up with a mullet for 6 months so far. Instead she gave me the only trendy haircut I think she'd been trained to do and I ended up with an asymmetric pixie and she said it's not like you've been growing your hair for 3 years. I asked for patterns to be shaved into my under cut, they refused to do this on the basis that they'd grow back very quickly. I said that's all right I only want it for the wedding this weekend, but I didn't get them. £40 it cost and as usual regardless of whether it was good or awful I paid up plus a tip and said thank you.

Not gone to hairdressers since.

H o n є y ❤
October 8th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Yesx because I love my stylist. She's awesome, very nice, and she listens to me! I just don't go very often because I don't need to.

Tatilove
October 8th, 2016, 11:46 AM
I used to go to the hairdresser more often, but had bad experiences with two different hairdressers. One of them overprocessed my hair which caused damage. Another one gave me a botched haircut.

Other than those 2 negatives, going to the hairdresser is usually a positive experience and the stylist knows what he/she is doing. It's mostly a love experience for me. But I haven't gone in the past couple of years. I'm waiting until I reach BSL (Currently apl).

Acid
October 8th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Im afraid of hairdressers, i only go once a year for a trim when i absolutely feel like my search and destroy sessions have accumulated enough to make my hemline too wonky to walk around sporting anymore.

the last time i went to one 'properly', id asked for natural beige blonde for a change from my usual platinum/white and while she got the length colour perfect she bleached my roots to an orange and left them unblended in and she was the most ungentle person ive ever had touch my hair. she was raking a rounded brush through my hair wet when i asked her not to (i asked her to dry first then comb with a different brush that my hair can handle) and pulling my hair so hard when trimming each section she could probably see me jerk my head back when she let go all whilst complaining about how much hair i had