PDA

View Full Version : protein for hair

wectmall
October 6th, 2016, 06:40 AM
I know that i can get protein in Sally Beauty Supply, but I am not going there today. Does anyone have suggestions of a good protein to put on my damaged hair that I can buy at Walmart? I am in the United States. Thanks!

meteor
October 6th, 2016, 07:08 AM
I like these:
- Gelatin DIY hair masks: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html or adding gelatin to SMT or just gelatin+water followed by a moisturizing treatment
- Aphogee 2 Step (very strong treatment, for pretty damaged hair, must be followed by good moisturizing treatment)
- Joico K Pak Reconstruct
- Redken Extreme Builder Plus and Anti-Snap
- professional 'protein fillers' often used as pre-treatments on very processed hair before coloring (they are used to reduce hair's porosity to help it take color more uniformly and not absorb too much, not go too dark)

These are some of the stronger protein treatments. Don't forget to follow up with moisture! ;)

For other products, check out this post: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/p/product-list-by-category.html (scroll down to the list of conditioners with proteins, it mentions the types of proteins each product has).

Good luck! :D

samanthaa
October 6th, 2016, 07:17 AM
I've always heard that soy sauce (or Bragg Liquid Aminos) are a good protein treatment. Since amino acids are the building blocks of protein, they are small enough to absorb into and fortify hair (unlike, say, the protein in eggs).

Pacific
October 6th, 2016, 07:50 AM
I like the Mane n Tail Original Conditioner for protein.

Nique1202
October 6th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Herbal Essences Long-Term Relationship shampoo and conditioner both have protein in them if you want something you can use regularly instead of a heavy one-time treatment. Several of the Herbal Essences lines have protein in them (usually as "corn silk extract" in the ingredients list) but I use the LTR shampoo since I just need a little bit of protein for upkeep basically.