PDA

View Full Version : How do you wear your hair when you have a headache or are sick?

Greenfire
October 5th, 2016, 10:53 AM
I know long hair can cause headaches for some people, and some styles can too, but this is a run of the mill headache. (cold front rolling in here, pressure changes hurt)

Is there a hairstyle you go to when you get a headache, that is easy, keeps it out of the way, you don't have to worry about it, dont have to fuss with it, and it doesn't make the headache worse? I tend to just do a cinnabon on the side of my head, and tuck the end instead of using a stick. It falls out with a lot of movement, but Im not moving much anyway, and I find the side of my head doesn't feel as heavy for some reason as if I wear it on the back.

Anyone have a go to for when just not feeling good?

lithostoic
October 5th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Twin french/dutch braids work for me. Wish I could put them in right now but I already have a horrible headache :/ I'm the only one in the house who knows how to braid.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 5th, 2016, 10:59 AM
If I am feeling really bad and need to go to bed I will put it in its sleeping cap. If I am not going to bed I just leave it in whatever daytime style it is in.

Greenfire
October 5th, 2016, 11:05 AM
If I am feeling really bad and need to go to bed I will put it in its sleeping cap. If I am not going to bed I just leave it in whatever daytime style it is in.

What if it's morning and you can't go to bed, and need to go out? What's your go to then?

MlleMC
October 5th, 2016, 11:06 AM
When I have a headache that makes my hair feel too heavy, I either French braid it (distributes the weight) or leave it down. I've also set my braid on something (like the back of my couch), or even on my shoulder, just so that it doesn't hang down, when it really felt too heavy.

lapushka
October 5th, 2016, 11:21 AM
I know long hair can cause headaches for some people, and some styles can too, but this is a run of the mill headache. (cold front rolling in here, pressure changes hurt)

Is there a hairstyle you go to when you get a headache, that is easy, keeps it out of the way, you don't have to worry about it, dont have to fuss with it, and it doesn't make the headache worse? I tend to just do a cinnabon on the side of my head, and tuck the end instead of using a stick. It falls out with a lot of movement, but Im not moving much anyway, and I find the side of my head doesn't feel as heavy for some reason as if I wear it on the back.

Anyone have a go to for when just not feeling good?

I keep my hair the same but take medicine for my headache, so it won't linger.

I get headaches & full-on migraines. I never change my hair or adapt my style accordingly. It's in a LWB when I'm up, and that style goes. I never take it down either, don't want all that hair hanging around when and if I do get sick (throw up).

pailin
October 5th, 2016, 11:27 AM
I braid if a bun pulls too much. Also now that I have a 3-prong fork, I find it's more comfortable - distributes weight better than a stick or something - when I have a headache.

Anje
October 5th, 2016, 11:29 AM
One braid, kinda loose at the top. When I wake with a headache (like early this morning), the sleep cap has to come off, because I can't take the elastic on my head. Buns come down, etc. etc. Hair gets braided and cats get snuggled. I tend to medicate them in a hurry too, because ibuprofen works and waiting it out doesn't. Thankfully, my migraines are pretty minor by migraine standards.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 5th, 2016, 11:38 AM
What if it's morning and you can't go to bed, and need to go out? What's your go to then?

Well, probably something pretty simple like a Nautilus. Because you don't want to be fussing with hair when you aren't well.

Wavelength
October 5th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Braids all the way. Preferably loose, and supported by my shoulder or tossed over the back of a chair when I'm sitting.

Buns are usually right out -- no matter what I do, they seem make the headache worse.

I've occasionally had luck with a topknot balanced right on top of my head, but that's been really hit-and-miss.

Frankenstein
October 5th, 2016, 11:41 AM
If I'm at home, I just remove my hair stick and put on my sleep cap. Otherwise, I'd do a cinnabun with claw clips because they don't pull on my hair as much and contribute to the headache.

Groovy Granny
October 5th, 2016, 11:45 AM
I do a loose nape ponytail with a soft tie or a LWB with a very light stick

Agnes Hannah
October 5th, 2016, 11:55 AM
English plait on the side, same as my sleep plait really. If I feel really grotty, I keep my sleep cap on and stay in bed, otherwise I pin my plait over my head from ear to ear so it stays out of the way. Actually it is like this right now, I had a chill out day today!

Cg
October 5th, 2016, 11:57 AM
If I'm too sick to work, I stay in bed with night braid and sleeping cap. If I can manage to get up, I bun as usual.

Entangled
October 5th, 2016, 12:04 PM
One braid.

lapushka
October 5th, 2016, 12:08 PM
One braid, kinda loose at the top. When I wake with a headache (like early this morning), the sleep cap has to come off, because I can't take the elastic on my head. Buns come down, etc. etc. Hair gets braided and cats get snuggled. I tend to medicate them in a hurry too, because ibuprofen works and waiting it out doesn't. Thankfully, my migraines are pretty minor by migraine standards.

Same here! Thank goodness I found medication that works on my headaches & migraines. When my headache is pretty mild, I usually don't take anything, unless it persists and becomes more fierce. Migraines, I'm pretty fast with. As soon as the aura strikes, that's my cue for meds.

hobbitlocks
October 5th, 2016, 12:14 PM
I either braid it or cinnibun with claw clips, mostly depending on how I feel about hair touching my neck at that moments. If I really have to look presentable, i'll either put a pretty barrette (I like the really light tige boule clips for this because they never bother me) in the front of my hair or do a lace braid at the front to make it look like I tried :)

Silverbleed
October 5th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Anything I can sleep with, really. Lately I'm braiding it but some days I just keep it loose because I prefer to sleep the most comfortable until it's gone.
Sometimes I put it up with some claw clips in some weird way while laying down lmao. It can get too hot in my neck if I wear it loose.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
October 5th, 2016, 12:42 PM
I just do a braid and massage. I am finding that bun tends to cause some tension sometimes and the braid relieves the stress

Arete
October 5th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Another in the single braid camp. I am jealous of all you who speak of the magical elixer ibuprofen. I can't have NSAIDs, so I'm resigned to Tylenol when I have a headache which does diddly squat in that area for me :p

animetor7
October 5th, 2016, 05:48 PM
I like crown braids of varying types because my hair slips out of single braids so easily if they're not pinned into some sort of updo and I can sleep with it in a crown braid.

alittleprincess
October 5th, 2016, 08:39 PM
If I have a cold or am just feeling blah, I tend to revert to a high, loose looped ponytail. I'm usually not in the mood for anything with a stick so I can lay down. And braids get stuck in the hood of a sweatshirt (a must when I'm sick).

If I have a headache, down all the way. People at work can tell when I have a migraine because it's the only time they see my hair down!

vampyyri
October 5th, 2016, 08:54 PM
I haven't gotten sick since I joined here *knocks on wood*, but I know when I get a headache, my bun will either be redone loosely or I'll so a simple braid.

lithostoic
October 5th, 2016, 09:02 PM
I should really get prescribed ibuprofin. I can take 3 of the 100mg and nothing happens, I don't even feel any different. It only helps if I take it before sleep. Today I took 3 and then an hour later took a 4ish hour nap (waking up a few times in between) and felt better, but that's not practical. Especially since I work. Today was my day off.

vampyyri
October 5th, 2016, 09:29 PM
I should really get prescribed ibuprofin. I can take 3 of the 100mg and nothing happens, I don't even feel any different. It only helps if I take it before sleep. Today I took 3 and then an hour later took a 4ish hour nap (waking up a few times in between) and felt better, but that's not practical. Especially since I work. Today was my day off.

I know when I start getting a migraine, popping 800mg is enough to take the edge off. Of course, be careful with dosage as it's very ymmv. I don't do it all the time, but on the rare occasion that I have a headache from down under

Tassledown
October 6th, 2016, 11:12 PM
I have a bunch of headscarves that I can use that will help. Either a really wide underscarf (which doesn't create pressure points if they fit well) a snood or bandanna allow me to leave my hair loose but not have it falling in my face. A loose low braid is slightly necessary in addition now that my hair is longer, but the first parts probably would stay for me since that's what makes my hair look tidy when I can't do much else. (Note: I don't get migraines, just hormonal headaches or stress ones.)

Llama
October 6th, 2016, 11:41 PM
A bun on top of my head

lapushka
October 7th, 2016, 04:58 AM
Another in the single braid camp. I am jealous of all you who speak of the magical elixer ibuprofen. I can't have NSAIDs, so I'm resigned to Tylenol when I have a headache which does diddly squat in that area for me :p

It's only magical if it *does* anything. For me, that's the quickest way to get relief from a migraine (if I take 800mg, less is no good). It's different for everyone. It sometimes gets the migraine all gone (rare), but most times the sharpest bits are gone, and I am pretty much guaranteed not to get sick (throw up).

Groovy Granny
October 7th, 2016, 01:28 PM
The caffeine in a Mountain Dew soda does the trick for me.
A nurse gave me a can of hers to try when I had a killer migraine after gallbladder removal; now I always have some in the house.

Otherwise I buy caffeine tabs, cut them into quarters and take it with tylenol.

I can't do coffee; the acid = instant reflux

Nettyx
October 7th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Depends on what I am ill with and if I have to go out.
If I have a migraine I will need to lie in bed in the dark -a French braid seems too bumpy so I just use one English braid and I pop the ends inside my top for when I vomit (sorry if this is tmi. )
If I am poorly with a cold or headache and I need to go out I will do a loose French braid. I can't stand my hair being in a bun then but a lazy wrap is my go to at all other times.

animetor7
October 7th, 2016, 02:40 PM
The caffeine in a Mountain Dew soda does the trick for me.
A nurse gave me a can of hers to try when I had a killer migraine after gallbladder removal; now I always have some in the house.

Otherwise I buy caffeine tabs, cut them into quarters and take it with tylenol.

I can't do coffee; the acid = instant reflux

Seconding caffeine for migraines. The only thing that touches mine when I get one (thankfully rarely) is some excedrin migraine and a bottle of coca cola.

Cg
October 7th, 2016, 02:42 PM
I make a cocktail of aspirin, tylenol, and caffeine. If it stays down, I drink coffee as well. Not always possible, and it doesn't always work either.

Shepherdess
October 7th, 2016, 02:49 PM
I usually make a loose braid and do a very low nautilus bun so that it isn't pulling on my scalp at all. I also gently massage peppermint essential oil (sometimes spearmint if I am out of peppermint) into my temples and the back of my head/neck, or wherever I am feeling tension and that usually helps immensely, sometimes my headache disappears completely, though you have to be very careful not to get the peppermint in the eyes. I know everyone is different, so this might not work for everyone, but it usually helps me. :)

Groovy Granny
October 7th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Seconding caffeine for migraines. The only thing that touches mine when I get one (thankfully rarely) is some excedrin migraine and a bottle of coca cola.

I make a cocktail of aspirin, tylenol, and caffeine. If it stays down, I drink coffee as well. Not always possible, and it doesn't always work either.

I am allergic to aspirin and had to stop the excedrin.... so that was when I began buying the caffeine tabs
1tab = a cup of coffee, but I find I don't need that much at a time so I cut them up and add more (1/4 tab) as needed

Nettyx
October 7th, 2016, 02:58 PM
I am allergic to aspirin and had to stop the excedrin.... so that was when I began buying the caffeine tabs

Paracetamol, codeine and an anti sickness tablet- then I try some neck exercises to release the tension there too and deep breathing. Never heard of caffeine for migraine so may try that next time (Ibruprofen doesn't touch it for me)

Larki
October 7th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Loose french braid. I get nauseous frequently, and I do a tucked in french braid then so that my hair doesn't get in the way.

Groovy Granny
October 7th, 2016, 05:13 PM
Paracetamol, codeine and an anti sickness tablet- then I try some neck exercises to release the tension there too and deep breathing. Never heard of caffeine for migraine so may try that next time (Ibruprofen doesn't touch it for me)
It has it's pros and cons depending on your headache triggers etc
http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/guide/triggers-caffeine :)

animetor7
October 7th, 2016, 05:33 PM
It has it's pros and cons depending on your headache triggers etc
http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/guide/triggers-caffeine :)
This is true, knowing your triggers is very important!! Caffeine is effective for me, but my main trigger for migraines is cigarette smoke, so caffeine is unrelated and won't make things worse. If caffeine could be one of your triggers definitely don't try to use it to treat your headaches!!!

irishsapphire
October 7th, 2016, 05:42 PM
Love that so many of you have a routine that works! For me, nothing makes migraines go away except sleep. Ibuprofen, Apsrin, NSAIDS, Vicodin, Motrin (hospital style), none of them take the edge off let alone go away. (Currently dose of Ibuprofen is 1,000+mg in a sitting....) Massage, Essential Oils, anything like that typically doesn't help and usually worsens the migraine.... Sleep is our friend. Sleep in a pitch black, silent room.

For hair, if I'm out and I get a headache it goes in a braid. If I'm home, it depends on whether the migraine is being particularly fun and affects my sense of touch (and the things that touch my skin). If it does, a braid is too much. But the hair loose is too much sensory stuff. So over the edge of the pillow it goes. If the migraine is playing nicely my hair can stay in a braid.

If I'm sick (like a cold or something) my hair can typically stay in a braid. Usually the same one for the whole time I'm staying in bed....

AspenSong
October 7th, 2016, 05:43 PM
For either, I just toss it up in my satin sleep cap. Not fashionable, but if I'm at home with a headache, or sick, it makes it so my hair is loose and contained and I can just focus on resting.

mizukitty
October 8th, 2016, 01:21 AM
I'm not prone to headaches, but if I'm cranky or don't feel well, I pretty much want nothing to do with my hair. Keep it wrapped in a high bun, secured with a claw clip. This way I can lay my head on a pillow without smashing it and the ends are reasonably protected. I usually spray with rosewater+glycerin and oil my ends and length lightly to keep moisture in before doing this (also why I don't use spin pins - the paint will come off or they'll rust or whatever)

Jadestorm
October 8th, 2016, 03:58 AM
Just a simple low braid does the trick for me. Or having my hair completely loose, but then it gets in the way when I'm laying down.

Groovy Granny
October 8th, 2016, 09:18 AM
I'm not prone to headaches, but if I'm cranky or don't feel well, I pretty much want nothing to do with my hair. Keep it wrapped in a high bun, secured with a claw clip. This way I can lay my head on a pillow without smashing it and the ends are reasonably protected. I usually spray with rosewater+glycerin and oil my ends and length lightly to keep moisture in before doing this (also why I don't use spin pins - the paint will come off or they'll rust or whatever)

Yay....another 'rosewater & glycerin' spritzer; I :crush: it and have used it for hair and body for years!!

Cg
October 8th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Love that so many of you have a routine that works! For me, nothing makes migraines go away except sleep. Ibuprofen, Apsrin, NSAIDS, Vicodin, Motrin (hospital style), none of them take the edge off let alone go away. (Currently dose of Ibuprofen is 1,000+mg in a sitting....) Massage, Essential Oils, anything like that typically doesn't help and usually worsens the migraine.... Sleep is our friend. Sleep in a pitch black, silent room.

Yeah, my cocktail doesn't always work. When that happens, it's a trip to the ER for ondansetron and morphine.

gustavonut
October 8th, 2016, 11:12 AM
I like to do a loose peacock twist type thing with a nice big clip or down if I don't feel like messing around with my hair too much.

Vallena
October 8th, 2016, 11:53 AM
A sloppy bun if I'm staying in, a braid of some sort (probably twin french braids) if I'm going out.

Granger Mane
October 8th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Two braids, loose closer to my head for comforst, tighter for two-thirds bottom length to minimze tangles. That;s my favorite "lying around style" be it for illness, headaches, or a regular rest.

mizukitty
October 8th, 2016, 07:24 PM
Yay....another 'rosewater & glycerin' spritzer; I :crush: it and have used it for hair and body for years!!

High five woohoo!! It really is so simple, yet so wonderul. I love it so much! Orange blossom water is nice too when you get a little bored of the rose scent :P

AZDesertRose
October 8th, 2016, 07:42 PM
It depends on what exactly is going on. Most headaches (including migraines), I want a low-fuss style that keeps my hair contained, so it's usually a single English braid, not too tight near my head. Sometimes that's too much trouble, and at those times, it goes in a low ponytail held with a scrunchie.

If I'm some other sort of sick that means I need to be in bed, the hair will be braided in some fashion or in a cinnablob.

Groovy Granny
October 8th, 2016, 09:08 PM
High five woohoo!! It really is so simple, yet so wonderul. I love it so much! Orange blossom water is nice too when you get a little bored of the rose scent :P

I never heard of that...will check into it. Thanks :)

lulikrueger
October 9th, 2016, 03:17 AM
Just 2 days ago I had a seizure and had to stay in the hospital, I wore it in a braid drentched with coconut oil.
Tore out a chunk of hair during said seizure, RIP little lock.

Tosca
October 9th, 2016, 04:04 AM
If I am going to spend the day sick in bed and I have the energy, I will do a single plait down my back to prevent tangles. Otherwise it's just flipped over my pillow plus extra detangling time the next day. For a headache I will either have it out, in a halfup held with mini claw clips or in a loose plait.

Temme
October 9th, 2016, 05:38 AM
Sorry to hear that, lulikrueger

truepeacenik
October 9th, 2016, 10:43 AM
If I can stand the pressure of a braid, a side braid.
If not, pony scrub cap.

At work, it's in the scrub cap.

Magalo
October 9th, 2016, 02:35 PM
A very loose english braid is the only style I can tolerate with a headache!

calmyogi
October 9th, 2016, 08:48 PM
If I'm just sick or don't feel well a top knot would be my preference. If I have a migraine two English braids on either side would probably be my go to.

astrid92
November 15th, 2016, 07:04 PM
I usually wear my hair in a loose English braid or two loose pigtail braids when I am sick or have a head ache. Sometimes I do wear my hair loose, but not often and only if I have a headache

missmelaniem
November 15th, 2016, 08:12 PM
single braid