PDA

View Full Version : Tips for hair routine for best growth and health

Pernillepus
October 4th, 2016, 05:21 AM
Hey!

I just trimmed my hair at the hairdresser and she said I didn't have any split ends (It's been months since last time), but as I'm growing out I thought maybe it would be better if I trimmed maybe every 4-6 months to make sure my ends doesn't split.
I have a little below shoulder length and I want my hair to go all the way down to my waist!

All I do is I take a hair supplement called Haircare (which has ingredients that the hair need for healthy growth), try to wash my hair every third day (I only use shampoo and conditioner) and sometimes use Define Moroccan oil on my ends.
My hair is thinner at the bottom, might be because I struggle with much stress all the time or that my hair doesn't last as long as before (I hope it's stress in that case!)

I should probably take better care of my hair, but I've always just didn't do much with it. Any tips for good routines?

1. How often do you wash you hair and how do you do it? (First conditioner, then shampoo or what do you do? oil your hair before and so on...?)
2. What products do you recommend?
3. How often should I trim or when can I tell I really need a trim?
4. How should I have my hair at night? I usually just sleep with it loose, and usually always have it loose. I'm scared of losing hair if I use too much ponytail or different hairstyles.
5. What do you do with your hair after a sweaty workout if you're not supposed to wash it? Do you sometimes just let it get wet in the shower anyway, just without shampoo?

I want tips if anyone has any, and if you have time it would be nice if you answered my questions :)

Arete
October 4th, 2016, 05:39 AM
Ultimately it depends on your hair type, plus characteristics like porosity. Some hair loves protein. Other hair (like mine) hates it! It'll take some experimenting, but some easy things to do our

1) Be very careful detangling your hair. Start at the bottom and work your way to the top. For bad tangles, use some oil or detangler. Don't pull through snarls, but rather pick them apart slowly. I use my fingers mainly and detangle in the shower with loads of conditioner usually, and sometimes use a wide tooth comb. I don't use brushes, personally, but they work well for some people

2) CWC (condition wash condition) This helps protect your length from drying out from shampoo.

3) Wear up and/or in braids to protect your hair. This doesn't mean don't wear it down, but the more yoou wear protective styles, the more appreciable growth you'll get as this will minimize breakage due to mechanical damage.

4) micro trim (take half your monthly growth or less off monthly, bimonthly, etc. just depends on your hair and how prone to splits it is). Or S&D (search and destroy where you use hair scissors to trim out individual splits and white dots and fairy knots. Weekly or biweekly is good). You'll get more appreciable growth this way. Alternatively, you can trim biannually if that works well for your hair. If you maintain S&D, you shouldn't have to take more than 1/2" off.

ETA: 5) Avoid heat (blow dryers on hot setting, flat irons, curling irons, etc.) frequent use of heat can cause a lot of damage for most people

For your questions:
1) I wash my hair once a week. I have a dry scalp and too frequent washing excerbates the dryness and can cause eczema. I condition my length with a cone free conditioner, wash my scalp, rinse, then condition length again with a silicone conditioner and detangle. If my hair is feeling dry, I may oil the length with safflower oil or olive oil the night before. Too often bogs my hair down. I clarify as needed (usually once a month).
2) This largely depends on your hair type. I'm a 2C with thick, porous, hair. What works for me may be disastrous for a 1a with thin, fine hair. If you need help typing, post a pic!
3) If you manage your hair well, you can trim infrequently, or just stick to S&D. Alternatively, some people do best with micro trims or even regular larger trims. If your ends look "frayed" a big trim may be in order, or highly damaged, but a lot of people don't need major trims.
4) I wear mine loose as I'm an active sleeper and wearing my hair in a braid causes extra crown breakage for me. Trade off is more tangles, but I find it managable.
5) Wash your hair if it gets gross after sweating. My hair does okay with some sweat. I wash it twice a week in the summer sometimes, and if I get really gross an extra wash may be in order. If you need to wash due to grossness, go head!

TatsuOni
October 4th, 2016, 06:01 AM
1. I CO-wash my hair every other week or less. I have a dry scalp and have been stretching my washes over years. That's why it's possible for me and it works great for my scalp and hair.

2. I can't recommend any regular products. Sorry. But I use coconut oil, sometimes a day before wash, sometimes a bit in the lenghts between washes. I also like fermented rice water, honey and aloe vera for my hair.

3. I trim about one cm twice a year. You need to trim when your hair is starting to get damage or when you want to even out you hemline. It isn't necessery to trim on a regular schedule. Some people can go years with just S&D. You will know when your hair needs a trim.

4. Do you move around a lot during the night? If not, you can continue to sleep with your hair loose. If you move around you can either have it in a bun, braid, hair net or sleep cap. I prefer a braid with a paranda on top of my head, but if I'm lazy I just wear a regular braid or two. Before my hair was long enough for a regular braid I used to french braid it almost every night.

5. I don't do anything. It doesn't smell, feel different or itch when it dries.

lapushka
October 4th, 2016, 06:37 AM
Try and get accustomed to this place a bit more first. Read some threads, get to know different methods and routines, and start experimenting a little. You say your hair is shoulder now? How much does the hairdresser snip off. It's always best to self-trim as hairdressers often take inches from your hair when it is totally unnecessary. So there's self-haircutting methods also to get accustomed to.

Welcome!

missmelaniem
October 4th, 2016, 06:44 AM
1. How often do you wash you hair and how do you do it? (First conditioner, then shampoo or what do you do? oil your hair before and so on...?)
Usually 5 times a week. For the most part I just shampoo and I'll condition maybe alternate times. Lately I have been washing, then putting the hair up with a turbie twist, taking it down after a few minutes and then putting my Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum on it. I'll work that through finger combing then will comb through. I loathe curls and waves in my hair, so this is the preferred method right now.

I switch it up a LOT. I have Coconut shampoo and conditioner right now from a health food store, have a backup of Loreal oil shampoo and assorted other conditioners/deep conditioners. Because of the wavy hair thing I plan to transition to the PM skinny shampoo & conditioner. I think I and my hair will be happiest that way :)

If youre growing there are lots of options, but I would just not trim for at least a year and then reassess

4. How should I have my hair at night? I usually just sleep with it loose, and usually always have it loose. I'm scared of losing hair if I use too much ponytail or different hairstyles.
I use a tie that is like a mini "old fashioned" phone cord. I love them.. and there are other hair tie options but I just pull mine through in a ponytail and then loop the last part. Lots of people braid tho. Another think to experiment with.

5. What do you do with your hair after a sweaty workout if you're not supposed to wash it? Do you sometimes just let it get wet in the shower anyway, just without shampoo?
CO wash ... VO5 Kiwi Lime is a good cleansing-type conditioner. I always try to have one bottle on hand

Shiranshoku
October 4th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Like Lapushka said, look around and you'll learn a lot!

3 times a week. Usually cwc, but sometimes I'll oil and then shampoo + conditioner.

A silk scarf or sleeping cap, to cover your head with when sleeping. This has made a huge difference for me.

That depends on your hair, and the look you like. I could get by just S&D'ing, but I like a blunt hemline so I trim twice a year. Just check your hair, your ends will tell you if you need a trim.

4. How should I have my hair at night?

At your length, I used to sleep with a french braid.

I don't work out :P But if I feel it needs it, I wash it. Wetting it without washing tends to put my scalp into sebum-overdrive, so it makes me look like an oil slick.

meteor
October 4th, 2016, 01:51 PM
Hey!

I just trimmed my hair at the hairdresser and she said I didn't have any split ends (It's been months since last time), but as I'm growing out I thought maybe it would be better if I trimmed maybe every 4-6 months to make sure my ends doesn't split.
I have a little below shoulder length and I want my hair to go all the way down to my waist!

Hi! Welcome to the LHC! :cheer:

I'd say, if your plan is to get longer hair and the hairdresser confirmed that you don't have any split ends, then I don't really see any reason to trim very frequently. :flower: It can even out the hemline of course, but other than that, if you don't have splits, white dots, breakage... I'd just keep growing. :cheer:

My hair is a few inches past fingertip length, so it's more convenient for me to do mostly scalp-only washes (2x a week) and I do full washes every 2 weeks or so.

When I have time, I like the routine of pre-poo oil (overnight, usually coconut or olive) + CWCC. I lather shampoo at least twice, but usually three times with diluted shampoo. In terms of amounts, I use about ten times as much conditioner as shampoo: shampoo focused on scalp, conditioner - from shoulders down only. I often add oil and/or honey to conditioner for added moisture or just do a quick oil rinse between shampoo and conditioner, if my hair is feeling dry.

When I don't have time, I just stick to S & C and that's good enough for me. I often shampoo my scalp, start conditioning my length, wrapped in a plastic bag for 20-30 min or so, while I let my scalp area dry in a towel/t-shirt. Then I rinse only the length, but my roots are already getting pretty dry by then. This saves me a lot of drying time.

I might follow up with some leave-in and oil/serum (LOC), but I often skip that step if I want more voluminous, lighter hair. Sometimes I'll add more oil/serum/leave-in mid-week, like a mini-LOC if my hair is feeling dry or tangly.

And I do gelatin treatments (as a conditioning step) once in a blue moon, for added protein.

Sorry that this is all over the place, but I really do different things almost every wash, just to give my hair what I think it needs that day.

I always air-dry next to a heater/fan, after towel/t-shirt-drying for 10-20 min.

Whatever works for you. ;)

Seriously though, it's all very YMMV. I switch up products a lot. Generally speaking, I think I'd invest in a clarifying and/or chelating shampoo (they are always nice to have on hand, especially if some hair experiment goes wrong) and maybe an oil your hair likes (oils that are already in the pantry would be the first things I'd try) and some conditioner that gives great slip. And I'd caution against trying too many things too soon, just to see more clearly what works and what doesn't and when.

I'd trim on ad hoc basis.
For example, if your ends are feeling completely off (say, grabby, tangly, bent), I'd clarify first, sometimes it takes a few clarifying washes to remove all build-up. Then I'd try some good deep conditioner (maybe oils + SMT), if that doesn't work, I'd try protein treatments + moisture (e.g. gelatin + SMT). If the water is hard, I'd try a chelating (a.k.a. "swimmers" shampoo). If, after quite a lot of pampering, the ends are still acting "damaged", maybe a small trim will help.

But if your ends are fine and your goal is greater length, I'd just keep on growing trim-free. ;)

Maybe a silky smooth pillowcase/bonnet/scarf will help? Silk/satin that feels slippy to touch should help reduce tangling, breakage and frizz that could happen overnight. As hair gets longer, many people prefer to contain it for the night (braids/buns), but you could also just wrap it loosely with a silk scarf or put a silky scarf in the groove between your pillow and the headboard and place your hair there, above your head, so it doesn't have much opportunity to tangle.

I use scalp-only washes. I either use diluted shampoo for this or just water.
I've definitely let my hair just air-dry after a workout and it's absolutely fine this way. A quick combing to set it all in place is all I need. But I know some people like dry shampoos for this or to blow-dry their roots, etc.

Good luck! :D And happy growing, Pernillepus! :cheer:

Anje
October 4th, 2016, 02:13 PM
My major advice is to try a few things (not all at once, because it's hard to tell what changes did what then), and pay attention to what is ACTUALLY working for you. So many people, myself included, try to make a certain product or technique work for them when it just does not, and their hair suffers for it. Haircare is not one-size-fits-all, and not everything works for everyone. One person might do best with shampoo bars, another with CO washing, another with a sulfate-free shampoo, and a fourth might do best with sulfates. You might need protein treatments while my hair hates them. Your hair might hate coconut oil this year, but love it a few years from now when your routine has changed and maybe your body too. Be flexible and be observant.

There are a few hard and fast rules, though.
1. Direct heat styling is damaging. Indirect high-heat is also damaging, but perhaps less so. Easy rule of thumb is don't apply anything hotter to your hair than you would to your skin.
2. Peroxide-based dyes and bleaching are damaging.
3. Perms and relaxers are damaging.
4. In almost all cases, gentle protective styles allow hair to grow longer with less damage than if the hair is worn loose all the time.
Different peoples' hair has differing abilities to tolerate and absorb these damages before the hair feels and looks damaged, though. Also, it's perfectly acceptable to make some trade-offs that are a bit damaging if it helps you enjoy your hair more, but realize that if having super-long hair is what you'd enjoy most, damaging it might be counteracting that goal.

In answer to your more specific questions:
I wash mine every 3 days or so, based mostly on when it seems to be getting piecey at the roots. That tends to vary a bit with the seasons for me, so I let my scalp define the schedule. Lately, I've been washing mostly with diluted sulfate shampoo, followed by conditioner. I let the conditioner sit for a few minutes with my hair wrapped up in a shower cap (so it doesn't get rinsed off the ends), then rinse it.

The ones that work well for you. Seriously, I'm using cheap stuff and my hair is doing great with it.

Look for splits and notice the general condition of your ends. If your ends are getting really tangly and it's not getting fixed with clarifying, protein, and moisture, it might be time for a trim. If there are split ends everywhere at the ends, trimming would be easier than search & destroy. But there's no reason to trim off healthy ends unless you just want them trimmed.

Try a few things. A lot of people here like silk or satin pillowcases. I personally like a satin sleep bonnet with my hair loose inside, which keeps it from strangling me while still giving my scalp a break from my hair being up.

If you need to wash it, you can wash it. It's not the end of the world. Some people find they do just fine if they simply let the sweat dry on their scalp though. Others like to give their hair a rinse. I know my face doesn't like it when I leave salty sweat on it long-term, so I at least rinse it when I get an opportunity after being in a sweaty situation. But this is definitely one of those things where you can do what works best for you.

mizukitty
October 4th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Hi, welcome! I'm echoing lapushka here, there is a ton of useful information on this site. The search feature is really good too. Every single question I've ever had about haircare, I've been able to search and find a response to. It's brilliant. I love this place. Anyway! Here's mine..

1. How often do you wash you hair and how do you do it?
Every other day for my scalp health. Stretching it gives me flare ups of dermatitis due to too much oil build up. This is extremely YMMV for everyone. Some people can wash monthly due to a drier scalp (I wish I could!)

One of the best and most inexpensive products I can recommend is any Suave conditioner for CO washing if you choose to do so. It's also great for CWC as it's inexpensive and smells great. I also recommend pretty much anything from SheaMoisture, as they are all sulfate/cone free which is what I'm currently trying, they're pricier, but worth it IMO. Also depends on your hair type.

If your ends are very very dry and no amount of moisture treatment brings them back, a trim may be what you need. A dusting (trimming off like 1/16 of an inch to remove split ends) is something that varies depending on how easily your hair splits. So, maybe dust monthly or every other month? It really depends, you have to get to know your hair.

Silk pillowcase really makes your life easier here. Not only does it prevent matted hair on the off chance I leave it down, but it has improved my skin health wonderfully. No more waking up with bone dry cheeks. (Face sleeper here!) A protective hairstyle such as a braid secured with a fluffy scrunchie or a loose bun is great. Make sure to vary where the bun is placed as not to put too much pressure in one area.

My scalp is very finicky so yes, this is exactly what I do. I secure it in a low, loose bun and get the scalp wet and scrub gently with my fingertips. I need to remove excess oil and sweat, otherwise I will be dealing with extreme itchiness all day. Some people also scalp only wash, so the same idea but using a shampoo, and find it works wonderfully.

sarahthegemini
October 4th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Hey!

All I do is I take a hair supplement called Haircare (which has ingredients that the hair need for healthy growth), try to wash my hair every third day (I only use shampoo and conditioner) and sometimes use Define Moroccan oil on my ends.
My hair is thinner at the bottom, might be because I struggle with much stress all the time or that my hair doesn't last as long as before (I hope it's stress in that case!)

I should probably take better care of my hair, but I've always just didn't do much with it. Any tips for good routines?

I want tips if anyone has any, and if you have time it would be nice if you answered my questions :)

1) I wash with shampoo and follow up with conditioner. Every other day. I used to use argan oil or sweet almond oil. I'm going to re-start the argan! It made my (at the time) damaged hair nice and shiney.

2) Argan oil or sweet almond oil. Just a drop or two on wet hair.

3) Trim when your ends don't look how you want them to look :shrug:

4) I wear it loose. A top knot secured loosely might be a good option. My hair is too slippery for that though.

5) If I feel gross and sweaty, I wash myself and that includes my hair. With shampoo. I'm not interested in water only washes because my hair ends up limp.

Greenfire
October 4th, 2016, 08:40 PM
Welcome to the forums! There's some sticky threads at the top in the sections that have a lot of great info, be absolutely certain to figure out what your hair type is, and pay attention to opinions of people with similar hair types on styling, what works for them in some things, might work for you too! Try out some of the popular threads that match your hair type, or hair goals, this place is called a community for a reason. There's goals of all sorts here, from what you wash with, how often you cut it, what length it is, thickness and type! Plus a hairstyle of the month, and lots of other fun things that will keep you busy in between waiting for your hair to grow!

This really depends, and I've also tried no washing for months, and washing with water only, and "no poo" So I'd try what appeals to you based on what you know about your hair, and when something works, stick to it. For me, because I'm a hiker, I can go weeks with nothing more than just dipping it and rinsing it, but when I'm home and need to be nice for work, I wash it when it needs it. That means it just starts looking clumpy and oily on top, it doesn't seem to smooth out without looking like I've oiled it. Since training my hair not to need washes so often, I normally get away with one or two washes a week. As for conditioner, I'm normally pretty bad about using it. I do rinse my hair with catnip tea once a month or so, but I often only remember to condition every few months. I need to try out using it regularly.

I like my tangle teezer. Okay, I love it. It's pink, it's cute (I want to stick googly eyes on it!) it's comfortable. It's super easy to wash, and if you end up with hair in it, it cleans out easily without leaving a mess in it. AND it actually does a kick ass job of detangling my hair! If your hair tangles really easily, find something really gentle to get through it. I also have a super beautiful wooden comb that detangles like its fingers. I find that I prefer the way my hair looks brushed out sleek if I'm putting it up, but use the wide comb when I'm wearing it down. As for something to put in/on your hair, I like to have my hair smell nice, so I always buy based on the scent. I'm a sucker for coconut/pina colada anything. I also like argan oil. But yeah, scent grabs me, you might prefer unscented, who knows?

There are people here who trim based on the phases of the moon. There are people who trim monthly. There are people who trim by the season, and there are people who don't trim at all, but let their hair grow to fairytale ends. (there's a thread on that one) You can self trim using different methods, into different hemlines (you'll find a glossary and links to these types of threads in one of the stickys!) There are people who microtrim, there are people who only cut the damaged ends (this is called s&d or search and destroy) I'm currently doing no trims for this year and s&d (only once every 3 months), and plan to do it next year too. I'm doing this because I am aggressive in overtrimming, when cutting my own, when microtrimming, when s&ding, for me, I just can't put the scissors down, because there might be one more hair that needs trimming, or it might not be even, or it doesn't grow even so needs another trim. So I want my hair to grow, and want to break this bad habit. If you want your hair to stay even, or to thicken that bottom hemline, you may want to trim more often, but if your hair is healthy now, then the only reason you'll need to trim at all is to even up that end, thicken up the hemline or look for any damage that's coming, keep it in good shape and you'll have little need to trim often.

I find loose the most comfortable, but my hair tangles a lot. So lately I've been remembering to put it into english braids (a single braid is comfortable for me) and I really need to get a silk or satin pillowcase... But I've found, you can even sleep with pincurls in your hair and clips in them if you have a good enough pillow and supporting mattress. If you're comfortable, you move less than in a bed that isn't. When I had a hammock I never tossed and turned at all! But ditch the ponytails for sure, those elastics rip your hair, I'm not even a fan of the scrunchys, though they are better.

Not sure on the not supposed to wash it bit here. It's your hair, you get to decide if it needs a wash. So if you think it needs one after working out, then wash it! One method you may like so that you're not using a lot of product, is to only wash the scalp, and believe me, you can do that with the tiniest bit of shampoo, if you even need shampoo at all! But there's other things you can do too, depending on your hair type, and how oily you get. I've used those little blotting papers in a pinch before to mop up a little extra oil on my hairline. I've used a damp washcloth to "wipe" through and around the hairline when I get sweaty to mop it up and it's almost as good as a shower. Also, crown braids and french braids take gross hair a little further if you have a bit of wave or curl in your hair (not sure it works on super straight) and don't forget hats! Work out, get gross and don't need to be anywhere? Put a hat or a scarf on! Stick your hair in braids. Get a boar bristle brush and learn to properly brush it out and never wash again! (check out the sebum only thread, cause that's dead serious, I think they call it preening, where you clean your hair by brushing it, though there is a transition period for it too!)

But definitely hang around, you'll figure out what works for you.

animetor7
October 4th, 2016, 10:07 PM

I do a full wash once a week on Sundays using a shampoo bar. I do three latherings on the scalp and one that runs down the length. On the first lathering I protect my ends (from the ears down) with a few drops of mineral oil in a modified ROO (rinse out oil) method then rinse everything out. On the second lathering I protect my ends with a cheap conditioner, currently Suave, but it changes, then rinse everything out. Then on the third lathering I massage a bit of the lather down from the scalp over the ends. I follow this up with a very dilute vinegar rinse mixed with some conditioner and essential oils and a heavier conditioner, currently Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, but this also varies and always contains cones. I probably only have to lather three times because I wash infrequently, if you wash more than this or use a harsher cleansing method this would be unnecessary, but as I have eczema my scalp can't handle detergent surfactants very well. Then on Tuesday evenings I do a scalp only wash keeping the rest of my hair dry with some very dilute Shea Moisture shampoo. About once a month to every three months I clarify with a sulfate containing shampoo, currently Suave, but it varies.

I should add that as your hair is just at shoulder length it probably isn't long enough to do a scalp only wash, but if you want to stretch your washes you could alternate your shampoo washes with a gentler method of cleansing like CO washing.

I really love coconut oil, but some find it makes their ends crunchy, if this is the case for you experiment with other oils. Jojoba tends to be popular with those who have straighter hair, but some also love olive oil. I highly recommend finding an oil that works well for your hair because this can help protect and moisturize your hair in between washing. I use a bit of coconut oil on my ends every evening and do a heavier oiling on the night before a wash. I find that this helps protect my ends and moisturize them throughout the week.

I also really love cones for providing slip and helping to protect my hair from damage as well as lock in moisture. Some people on this forum hate cones, but I think that in most cases bad experiences with cones results from not clarifying often enough. You do need to remove them from your hair occasionally, but this doesn't have to be with every wash and moisture will still enter the hair just fine. My favorite coney serum is Biosilk Silk Therapy Serum. It's a bit thick, but I only use about a dime sized amount for my hip length hair.

You don't actually have to trim. You can instead do something called and S&D where you go through your hair carefully and only trim out splits of white dots you find which are markers of damage. I'm currently trying to go a year without trimming and many members find that they don't have to trim at all unless they want to maintain a specific hemline. You can tell you need a microtrim or an S&D session when the ends of your hair feel rough or grabby and you see lots of spit ends and white dots. Before attempting this challenge I'd trim about 1/4" off every 6 months or so using Feye's self trim method to maintain a u hemline.

Using a ponytail too much can cause damage, but alternating hairstyles throughout the week is actually a really good practice for healthy hair as it prevents cumulative damage from always wearing your hair in the same way with the same clips/pins/hairtoys which can lead to breakage from stress in the same spots every day. Wearing hair contained is much healthier for it especially up in a bun as the most fragile part of the hair, the ends, are protected. It prevents damage happening during detangling sessions and from being loose in the world to get caught on things or stuck in things.

At night I like to sleep with my hair in braids of varying types and tassle lengths or in a very loose top knot. This aids in detangling come morning which helps prevent damage.

After a sweaty workout I may do a CO wash, but I've found that just dampening my roots with some extremely dilute conditioner and essential oils (think a few drops of the conditioner and oils in a medium spray bottle then filled with water) using a spray bottle is enough to clean my roots from the sweat. But I also don't tend to sweat much unless I'm very ill, so perhaps someone else would be better equipped to answer this question. :)

I will also echo what others have said in not using heat or seeing the hairdresser frequently if you want long healthy hair. I will add a suggestion to check everything you use on your hair to see if it has any sharp edges or seams. These can damage your hair even if you're very careful in how you use them. If you find sharp edges or seams I would suggest switching over to a wooden or horn wide tooth comb and/or a tangle teezer, which will be much gentler on your hair!! Good luck in your hair care journey and check out the boards! They're an amazing resource for all of your hair-care questions. :) :flower:

Alissalocks
October 4th, 2016, 10:37 PM
Hey!

I am a lot like you it seems, but I landed on this lovely site very recently and have already notice a difference some small changes can bring. I'm also growing to waist next (hopefully there by March 2017), but ultimate goal of tailbone length and maintain, someday! :meditate:

Hair type and environment are important factors, hair care is not one size fits all. Taking care of yourself is mentioned often, eating well, staying hydrated, getting exercise, getting sleep. Good advice all around. I have thin hair, straight as can be, and live in a high altitude, dry environment. This means I may use oil and moisture more than another, so YMMV.

I used to shampoo/condition every 2-3 days. Now I condition/wash/condition every wash. So far no heaviness or buildup and ends are in great shape overall. I also started using coconut oil overnight, 1 night every weekend, in braids while I sleep. About midweek, I now do a deep conditioning for hours in braids (although I've learned that's overdoing it, 30-40 minutes is sufficient, but I get busy and procrastinate my shower).

I became a freak about Hask Argan Oil Shine Treatment. It makes my hair like glass, no tangled, super slip, and no oily buildup so I can use a few drops every day when I have my hair loose.

I'm following a lot of advice her and cutting back on my 3-4 months trims, going to 6 months ish? I may just switch to micro trimming it myself when that time comes (I'm on a no-trim pledge until 2017, another fun I thread here). Need to buy some professional scissors so I don't cause any damage while trimming. Until I do, I haven't even been doing "S&D" (search and destroy) on split ends, but I don't have many anyhow.

I always slept loose too but now I'm wearing it braided down one side about 50-75% of the time. Protecting it really cuts down frictions, which would ultimately cause damage. I don't wear ponytails often because I want to avoid the damage or breakage potential, but sometimes I like double ponytails (dog ears) and do occasionally wear it that when when working out, or it's super hot summer day.

Days I still wear it loose about 70% of the time, but I started also wearing it in an L-finity bun, which was the September style of the month, and really easy to learn. It's a nice option if I'm not dancing and don't need my hair secure.

I started wearing it either in double side ponytails or "milkmaid" side braids, and then I leave it in that style for a few hours and let it air dry from residual sweat. Also sometimes twist and clip, but not as much now because, again, Worried about damage. Also, it isn't as secure unless I braid and clip, etc., and I dance, and sometimes prefer it not flying around (save that for performance).

There are lots of threads on all these topics, hope you have fun poking around and learning too! I'm really glad for the help and kindness I've found here.

CarrotTop
October 4th, 2016, 11:01 PM
Hello! :flower:

1. How often do you wash your hair and how do you do it?
I like to wash my hair every 2 or 3 days. Right now, I CWC, but in the past I've done CWCC, WCCC, CO, and plain old S&C. I oil my hair before washing occasionally, usually with coconut or avocado oil. When I do, I usually leave it in for a few hours ahead of time and then wash it out with two shampoos, an old sulfate-free one first and my regular one after that. I clarify whenever my hair is feeling a bit waxy. I also love gelatin protein treatments, but I only do them once in a very long while.

I honestly don't think most conventional products differ that much. Unless you're really unhappy with them, I'd recommend that you stick with what you currently use. I love Garnier Fructis products– I first bought them for the smell, but it turns out my hair really likes them! :lol: I use a mixture of their Triple Nutrition and Sleek and Shine lines.

3. How often should I trim or when can I tell when I really need a trim?
I don't trim very often. I S&D all the time, though. My rule of thumb for when I need a trim is "when S&D just isn't getting the job done anymore."

4. How should I have my hair at night?
I'm still figuring this out myself (I toss and turn a *lot* in my sleep), but I'd recommend one or two loose braids, to avoid tangling. Also, I've noticed my hair has had a lot less breakage since I got a satin pillowcase.

5. What do you do with your hair after a sweaty workout if you're not supposed to wash it?
What workout? :lol: I don't exercise all that often, and when I do, I'm not a very sweaty person, and I also live in a cold climate. In the summer, when I bike a lot, my hair gets a bit sweaty under my helmet, but I just wash it a little more often–*every 2 days instead of every 3.

Like so many others have already said, there's a crazy amount of information on the forum! My only generalized advice would be to try out anything that interests you! I've had so many failed hair experiments (CO with cones! Oiling hair after showers! Shampoo only! Any product with shea butter!), but I've learned from all of them. :o Good luck as you grow your hair! :flower:

Kat-Rinnè Naido
October 5th, 2016, 01:08 AM
Hello and welcome

Mostly once every 4 to 5 days. Water only. (Oil pree wash)Once a month shampoo. Acv rinse always and leave - in conditioner

I can't recommend as I use whatever I have even a lot of stuff from my kitchen.

Only S & D last cut was 4th June 2016

Satin pillow case and scarves

I don't work out for a sweat, lol as I just need to sleep and then sweat

HTH good luck

Groovy Granny
October 5th, 2016, 01:57 AM

I wash my hair 1-3x/week; less in Winter and more in Summer.
First I shampoo the scalp; let the lather run down the ends; rinse
Then I condition the ends, use a wet brush to detangle and work it through evenly....then it sits while I bathe.
Final cool water rinse.

I love JOICO....the moisture and clarifying S&Cs

Micro-trims will help thicken your ends up and keep them healthy; it also helps in growing (just a wee bit is snipped each month/less than the .5" growth)
Check for splits...you can always S&D and that will save your length; just watch for thinning (don't do it too often).
My hair never splits, and I can go almost a year with no trims (my hemline just gets uneven)...so others can better assist you with that.

If you rotate styles and placements....and watch the tension...., hair loss shouldn't be an issue.
Keep attentive to protecting your hair (up or down), but you can also wear it down and enjoy it too!
I wear it up (ponytails/twists/buns)for chores, on windy days, under Winter hats, and in Summer for comfort ....and love to wear it down, in a topsy tail, or a half up in cooler seasons.

My hair is just too long to sleep with it loose now.
At bed time I use a soft hair tie on a low ponytail and flip my hair over my pillow.
If it is really hot I do a top bun with a scrunchie , spin pin, or small claw.

You can....sometimes I use a warm/cool diffused blow dry to freshen my scalp too if I can't wet it.
I am not an oily type so even just air dried after a rosewater and glycerin spritz/scrunch is nice to refresh it for me.

That said....Welcome to LHC :)

Take time to browse the forum; there is a ton of info....and join the threads that apply to your interests and goals.

If it ain't broke...don't fix it...... aka....no need to try everything suggested (very temting as a newbie):wink:
Focus on one issue at a time, while paying attention to having a healthy care routine in general.....then see what works for YOU...or not.
Eventually you'll find your own routine and hair loves.

Happy growing :cheer:

Pernillepus
October 5th, 2016, 04:11 PM
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p493/pernille1995/haringr_zpsbpt95k28.jpg (http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/pernille1995/media/haringr_zpsbpt95k28.jpg.html)

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p493/pernille1995/10479701_10201424121441282_1838649933398947152_n_z pshvkxt3tb.jpg (http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/pernille1995/media/10479701_10201424121441282_1838649933398947152_n_z pshvkxt3tb.jpg.html)

This is how my hair looks :) saw someone asked! :)
Thanks for all the long answers, I look forward to read them all! :D so nice

Kat-Rinnè Naido
October 6th, 2016, 01:46 AM
You and your hair are gorgeous. Thank you for sharing some photos

MidnightMoon
October 6th, 2016, 04:05 AM
Try and get accustomed to this place a bit more first. Read some threads, get to know different methods and routines, and start experimenting a little. You say your hair is shoulder now? How much does the hairdresser snip off. It's always best to self-trim as hairdressers often take inches from your hair when it is totally unnecessary. So there's self-haircutting methods also to get accustomed to.

Welcome!

Came in to say that. I mean, there are threads for every single of those questions, and tons of additional information. Just click and click until you stumble upon it or try directly typing related words in the search engine either here or on google and followed by "longhaircommunity". I think Im beginning to understand why Igor left :/.
Good luck growing!

Flipgirl24
October 6th, 2016, 06:10 AM
Just a note on your question about what to do with your hair after working out. You could try dry shampoo. Batiste is a good reasonably priced one. Or you could use some cornstarch. If you have dark hair you could use half cornstarch and half cocoa powder. You could also make a spray of distilled water and some essential oils like lavender or peppermint. Spray on roots. Then you could blow dry on cool to dry the sweat if you don't have time. Dry shampoo can clog your scalp so be sure to do a scalp wash after a fee days (I can go 3 days with dry shampoo). The night before I wash I put in Weleda Rosemary conditioning oil on the ends and on my scalp. I have used coconut oil but it makes my hair tough like a well done steak. I have tried the Wen deep conditioning treatment and loved it. Not sure now though with the lawsuit going on.

Pernillepus
October 9th, 2016, 10:58 AM
You and your hair are gorgeous. Thank you for sharing some photos

Thank you very much :D