PDA

View Full Version : Article: Hairstyles for "Super-Long" Hair

kittengirl
October 3rd, 2016, 08:01 PM
I thought you would appreciate this....I came across this article on what to do with your "super-long" hair. Take particular note of the "Rapunzel-length" braid. Don't get me wrong, I know some of this is long hair, it's just funny how much LHC changes our perception of what constitutes long hair. On the plus side, I just discovered that I have super-long hair! Didn't realize that...not quite to bsl yet :p

http://www.refinery29.com/hairstyles-for-long-hair#slide

Decoy24601
October 3rd, 2016, 08:08 PM
Since when did slide-shows become "articles"? :p

In all serious though, would anyone consider any of those picture examples of "super-long" or "rapunzel-length" hair? Most were maybe at BSL. Did the person who wrote that "article" actually know how long Rapunzel's hair was? I don't think anything less than floor length would even qualify :p.

spidermom
October 3rd, 2016, 08:49 PM
Good ideas for styles, but super long they aren't. Some can be adapted, though.

kittengirl
October 3rd, 2016, 08:57 PM
Since when did slide-shows become "articles"? :p

In all serious though, would anyone consider any of those picture examples of "super-long" or "rapunzel-length" hair? Most were maybe at BSL. Did the person who wrote that "article" actually know how long Rapunzel's hair was? I don't think anything less than floor length would even qualify :p.

Gah I couldn't think what to call it! Slide show would have been perfect lol. :o Yes I was pleasantly surprised to discover how "long" my hair is.

missmelaniem
October 3rd, 2016, 08:57 PM
I liked the bun on top of the head with the bottom half of the hair down. It looks like a doable compromise when I dont want all of my hair down (like when its hot... next summer)

Thanks for sharing :)

kittengirl
October 3rd, 2016, 08:58 PM
Good ideas for styles, but super long they aren't. Some can be adapted, though.

Some of the braids are pretty.

Decoy24601
October 3rd, 2016, 09:03 PM
Gah I couldn't think what to call it! Slide show would have been perfect lol. :o Yes I was pleasantly surprised to discover how "long" my hair is.

I'm teasing :o. Yeah, it's a surprise to think that people consider BSL-MBL hair super long! Everywhere I've lived, waist-length hair is fairly common. I've started to realize that my length is actually fairly long, even though it never feels that way to me :p.

Arete
October 3rd, 2016, 09:08 PM
I actually do the flipped up braid all the time. It's a good one when I can't put my hair up, but don't want my braid getting in the way

pailin
October 3rd, 2016, 09:24 PM
No, not super-long at all. And I was reminded how ugly I think those hairtie buns are.

ETA people are entitled to like them if they want, I just don't.

kittengirl
October 3rd, 2016, 09:46 PM
I'm teasing :o. Yeah, it's a surprise to think that people consider BSL-MBL hair super long! Everywhere I've lived, waist-length hair is fairly common. I've started to realize that my length is actually fairly long, even though it never feels that way to me :p.

I would consider your hair quite long, and it's beautiful. I love your color.

kittengirl
October 3rd, 2016, 09:47 PM
No, not super-long at all. And I was reminded how ugly I think those hairtie buns are.

ETA people are entitled to like them if they want, I just don't.

I could never get those buns to work for me when I was younger. And they tore my hair.

pailin
October 3rd, 2016, 09:50 PM
I can't get them to work either, they fall down as soon as I take my hand away.

OhSuzi
October 4th, 2016, 12:39 AM
The irony is when you're stuck at a pixie and you look for articles on 50 of the best short hair styles, over half are chin to collar bone length bobs! Clearly according to the media there is only about 6 inches between short and 'super long', there's no medium in between and any one outside that bracket is clearly a freak of nature!!!!

Silverbleed
October 4th, 2016, 03:44 AM
The irony is when you're stuck at a pixie and you look for articles on 50 of the best short hair styles, over half are chin to collar bone length bobs! Clearly according to the media there is only about 6 inches between short and 'super long', there's no medium in between and any one outside that bracket is clearly a freak of nature!!!!

Lmao this exactly! I remember searching for inspiration back when I had chin length hair. Most results were shoulder or APL. I was like 'dude, there's no way I can do any of these (http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/010/997/35s7cv.jpg)'.

DaveDecker
October 4th, 2016, 04:23 AM
I thought you would appreciate this....I came across this article on what to do with your "super-long" hair. Take particular note of the "Rapunzel-length" braid. Don't get me wrong, I know some of this is long hair, it's just funny how much LHC changes our perception of what constitutes long hair. On the plus side, I just discovered that I have super-long hair! Didn't realize that...not quite to bsl yet :p

http://www.refinery29.com/hairstyles-for-long-hair#slide

[bolding mine]

In truth, what's funny is the extent to which big media/society guides most people's perception of what constitutes super-long hair. LHC merely provides a more honest perspective of length descriptors.

lithostoic
October 4th, 2016, 07:07 AM
I remember years ago when I was growing out my hair, I searched for hairstyles for long hair. And my hair at not even waist was longer than all of them -.- Apparently my BSL hair is "super long" lol.

Hurven
October 4th, 2016, 08:04 AM
This reminds me that a few years ago one of my cousins said that her hair was Rapunzel-length when it was somewhere between APL and BSL... :)

hanne jensen
October 4th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Holy Moly! I'm a super long hair! In my dreams maybe, my hair has only just reached the bottom of my waist.

vampyyri
October 4th, 2016, 09:01 AM
I wonder what the people who put this together would think if they ever stumbled across this site... :lol: if that's super-long, we must have super-duper long xD

melesine
October 4th, 2016, 09:01 AM
LOL Since when is bra strap and shorter "super long".

LadyCelestina
October 4th, 2016, 10:32 AM
I think the bow bun is seriously cute. My past roommate used to wear one as a 'casual' bun instead of the messy bun most non-LHC people do. I can't get it to hold and look nice on my heavy curly hair though because of the pony base :(

kittengirl
October 4th, 2016, 11:10 AM

Yeah I've been super short pixie to bsl and there seems to be no middle ground between short and very long lol. They don't have a very long "hair journey" ;)

[bolding mine]

In truth, what's funny is the extent to which big media/society guides most people's perception of what constitutes super-long hair. LHC merely provides a more honest perspective of length descriptors.

That's an interesting point; historically, extremely long hair was very common and now we are conditioned to think that "normal" hair is shorter. It's such a strange thing that so much of the way we view beauty and physical worth is based on what the media shows us...even when it's not real.

I wonder what the people who put this together would think if they ever stumbled across this site... :lol: if that's super-long, we must have super-duper long xD
That would be hilarious...I think they would get quite a surprise.

LOL Since when is bra strap and shorter "super long".

I wish it was, then I could call mine super long whereas I still consider mine short to medium at a couple inches shy of bsl.

meteor
October 4th, 2016, 11:27 AM
I loved that braid made of many micro-braids on Beyoncé :crush:

HairPlease
October 4th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Fun article and great pics. I presume the person who wrote the article never had hair longer than APL in their life. If BSL is rapunzel long, maybe rapunzel's tower was super short and semi-underground. :rollin: I liked that highly tapered side braid though. It was very sleek.

CarrotTop
October 4th, 2016, 04:00 PM
If BSL is rapunzel long, maybe rapunzel's tower was super short and semi-underground. :rollin:

:spitting: I couldn't have put it any better!

kittengirl
October 4th, 2016, 04:31 PM
Fun article and great pics. I presume the person who wrote the article never had hair longer than APL in their life. If BSL is rapunzel long, maybe rapunzel's tower was super short and semi-underground. :rollin: I liked that highly tapered side braid though. It was very sleek.

That's a great mental image!!!