PDA

View Full Version : Help! Has anyone rocked a short bob with naturally wavy/frizzy hair and no heat?

hopefulred
October 3rd, 2016, 12:59 PM
So I'm going to have to have my collar bone length hair cut into a short bob (thinking just below bottom of ear) as I had a trim last week and the split ends are still so bad so I need a good amount of the severely over processed bleach damaged hair off. I can't heat style it as I only have 2cm of healthy virgin ginger hair so the rest can't take heat so I'm going to have to work with my naturally wavy/frizzy hair. Have any of you done this and got it looking good? Once Iv grown enough virgin hair to chop all the damaged off I can straighten it then but that's another year away yet so got to get to that stage looking half decent! Anyone done this successfully?

vampyyri
October 3rd, 2016, 01:09 PM
I have, I just let it do it's thing once I gave up on trying to keep up with it. I trimmed the damage off a little at a time. If your damage is severe, I would consider chopping all the way back, as that damage can travel up to your virgin hair.

spidermom
October 3rd, 2016, 02:19 PM
You can definitely rock a new style, but you have to give up your notions of what decent hair ought to look like. I am thinking of other posts I've seen from you about how you "have" to straighten it, etc. Sometimes you can bring out your best by letting your hair do its natural thing. I understand this; I used to fight against my hair's natural texture, too.

Use your search engine to find curly bob hairstyles. There are tons of pictures. You can even specify curly and red bob hairstyles.

yogagirl
October 3rd, 2016, 02:39 PM
I find the most valuable trick to keeping the frizz away is the "no touching when wet/damp" rule. It has truly changed how I feel about my hair.

You can also play around with curl cremes to define your waves. I've come to like Shea moisture Curl enhancing smoothie and DevaCurl Light defining gel. If you tend to get frizzy, make sure you apply to sopping wet hair and then don't touch your hair again until it is dry.

Have you read up on the curly girl method? The above are aspects of it.

Deborah
October 3rd, 2016, 03:07 PM
It is so good to learn to accept the hair we naturally have. For years I set my hair on rollers and slept (quite uncomfortably) on them because I felt my hair should have a little curl or wave. Finally I decided that straight is good too, and got rid of the rollers and let my hair be what it naturally is. What a relief!

You are on the other side of this, wishing your hair was straight, but honestly there is beauty and advantage to each type of hair. I did not heat set my hair, as that would have been damaging, but heat straightening is probably even more damaging to the hair. I hope you can come to peace with the hair you have. It's better for your peace of mind, better for the health of your hair, and way the heck easier as well.

Best of luck with whatever cutting you decide to do, and with your future hair care! :flower:

ephemeri
October 3rd, 2016, 03:17 PM
I find the most valuable trick to keeping the frizz away is the "no touching when wet/damp" rule. It has truly changed how I feel about my hair.

You can also play around with curl cremes to define your waves. I've come to like Shea moisture Curl enhancing smoothie and DevaCurl Light defining gel. If you tend to get frizzy, make sure you apply to sopping wet hair and then don't touch your hair again until it is dry.

Have you read up on the curly girl method? The above are aspects of it.

I second this!

I have wavy/curly hair that I wore in an inverted neck-length bob for a long time. I did the curly girl method to care for it and I styled using squish to condish (https://youtu.be/tMW0ZsYXAjE) and layering of products (https://youtu.be/EwYsto4Iv-U). It can take awhile to find the styling products that work for your hair but once you do, it can be really great!

Wavy and curly hair likes to be moisturized and to keep the waves/curls looking nice all day (and to keep away the frizzies) it's pretty important to use a product with hold in it, like a gel. Some people can get away with just a curl cream but not everyone can (I couldn't with my hair that short and had to use gel). HTH! :o

lapushka
October 3rd, 2016, 03:23 PM
Yes, I don't know for sure whether I mentioned it to *you* already, but check out the curly girl method, a book by Lorraine Massey. You can find a lot of information on this online as well. Actually, I did mention that, didn't I? :confused:

jfg1987
October 3rd, 2016, 06:19 PM
So I tried doing this for a few months when my hair was between ear and chin length; this headband (in black) from scunci was a lifesaver (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001T8W6PY/ref=twister_B01KCP927Y?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1). I'm usually not one for headbands but there's something about that particular split headband, can't explain it! Keeping my frizzy fluffball behind my head made it kind of cute but eventually I went back to the hairdryer and the flat iron. My hairdryer has a cool setting but after trying to dry my hair like that for over half an hour my arms got tired and it wasn't even dry 1/4th of the way.

I thought I couldn't live without crazy heat to tame my hair, I've tried everything. I recently invested in a bonnet hair dryer so my hair doesn't have heat directly on it (at least for the blow drying stage) and the other day I tried to dry my hair on the mostly-cool setting with it wrapped flat around my head with a leave in conditioner. It took 1 hour and 30 minutes but my hair was dry and cool to the touch, I was amazed. Since my hair was wrapped flat it stayed mostly straight. It came out very tame, and soft, like I didn't know my hair could do that, it's a very stark contrast to the frizzy crunchy lion mane that I would have after normally blow drying it on high heat.

I dried my hair like that last night again (see avatar picture, literally from last night), that's how it came out, haven't touched the flat iron. I have seen the light, so to speak.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, definitely try a headband!

Obsidian
October 4th, 2016, 05:58 AM
I spent about 40 years trying to take my frizzy hair. I didn't know how to care for it properly, just thought it was frizzy. Eventually discovered is not frizzy, just curly.
Learning to embrace my natural texture was a huge relief. I still don't love my hair but I don't hate it anymore and it's the healthiest is ever been.
I didn't have a bob when growing out but I did have a wild mess. Headbands were my saving grace.

Curly276mom
October 4th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Why not got right for the pixie and get all the damage off at once? I personally found it pretty easy to style a pixie with wavy hair because the hair was too short to really wave until it was longer. The grow out is a pain. But you are looking at a difficult grow out either way.
Or even better. Cut the Bob and if you don't love it, jump in and cut off the rest to pixie, total reset.

meteor
October 4th, 2016, 12:59 PM
My hair is very wild and highly textured when it's in a bob. Basically, it was always in my face and would drive me crazy, and I never heat-styled my hair and wasn't a fan of heavy products, so I simply used a bunch of accent braids, half-ups, twists to keep it manageable. Small-ish claw-clips and side clips are great for keeping annoying sections/strands under control. Headbands are probably the easiest solution, but my scalp gets really sore/sensitive really quickly from that added pressure, no matter what. It may take a bit of effort, but bobs can be really cool.
Ultimately though, I always ended up growing out my hair long, and it made it more weighed down and thus more manageable, as it would elongate and tame the texture.

LadyCelestina
October 4th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Depending on how often you wash your hair, you could try this https://www.google.sk/search?q=heatless+doobie+straightening&biw=1163&bih=536&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0jc616sHPAhVFaxQKHYAwBNAQ_AUIBygA&dpr=1.65 or setting you hair on big rollers.

wispe
October 4th, 2016, 01:39 PM
You could go for overnight rollers or pin curls. I find adding curl or texture helps disguise and work with frizzies, and if you're working with wavy hair it may take to heatless curling methods. As a bonus I've found that curls help visually break up the look of regrowth. A youtube search should bring up tons of styling videos. If you look through any vintage-y pin curl styles, I'd make sure not to do a style that requires teasing!

triumphator!
October 4th, 2016, 03:49 PM
I did! I'll come back with a pic when I'm not on mobile

lapushka
October 4th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Why not got right for the pixie and get all the damage off at once? I personally found it pretty easy to style a pixie with wavy hair because the hair was too short to really wave until it was longer. The grow out is a pain. But you are looking at a difficult grow out either way.
Or even better. Cut the Bob and if you don't love it, jump in and cut off the rest to pixie, total reset.

Because it is easy to grow out from a bob; from a pixie... not so much.

lora410
October 4th, 2016, 04:54 PM
Had to get a bob with stacked in the back after hair dresser fried my hip length hair. It didnt look good on me unless i had heat styled it.

Curly276mom
October 4th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Because it is easy to grow out from a bob; from a pixie... not so much.
Of course, but I was thinking of the damage and the two distinct tones being managed. Pixie would get to all Virgin way sooner. I hope the op finds a style that she likes :)

renia22
October 4th, 2016, 08:49 PM
I personally would go with trimming 1/2 to 1 inch at a time. When my wavy hair was that short I really hated it, I ended up straightening it and doing things to it that I probably shouldn't. Shoulder length or longer looks better with the waves, especially when they tend to frizz (at least on me). Not a fan of big chops, I recommend doing a little at a time (unless you've done it before and were happy, and already know about yourself how you react to big chops).

CarrotTop
October 4th, 2016, 10:18 PM
I haven't had a short bob since I was 5 or so, but for many years I kept it in between chin length and APL length. (Letting it grow for a year and then trimming it back.) I have 2c hair that doesn't seem to want to clump at all, even if I go full CG and even when it was shorter. :shrug: What I did when my hair was shorter, and back when I kept it down all the time, was to use heatless curling methods all the time. Some won't work with your length, usually there are ways to modify them for shorter lengths. Your hair would still be wavy or curly, but it'd be more in a more uniform pattern, almost like you used hot tools to curl it. :flower:
(Just now, my mom, who has 2a/f/i hair and has rocked a short bob for years, walked in and asked me what I was writing. So I, of course, had to ask her for her advice. :eyebrows: She says to experiment foam rollers and try scrunching it with mousse. :lol: )

Upside Down
October 4th, 2016, 11:23 PM
How short is short bob? I can dig up some old pictures if you want. They must be out there sonewhere.

triumphator!
October 5th, 2016, 08:11 AM
I did! I'll come back with a pic when I'm not on mobile

Here ya go. This is my chin to shoulder length wild and crazy no heat, no products hair style of yore. The pieces in front of my ears are a lot longer than the rest of my hair.

As you can see, it just kinda did whatever it wanted. It was very different from day to day. The frizz especially.
http://i68.tinypic.com/9h15pi.jpg

MlleMC
October 5th, 2016, 08:47 AM
I have had that a short bob when I was a teen, and I think it looked good without much effort. Actually, when I look at the pictures now, I find that I looked much better when I left it wavy than when I straightened it (unlike what I thought at the time). This is what it looked like at the shortest:

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/mclairel/0court.jpg

Most days, I just put the front part away from my face with bobby pins or a headband, like in the picture, but when I wanted a fancier look, I would use some kind of mousse to define the waves. And when it grew back, I loved doing short pigtails and ponytails.

Obsidian
October 5th, 2016, 11:49 AM
My hair is a bit more then just wavy and this isn't a bob but here is my hair when it was quite short. I would just wash, scrunch and let it air dry. My curls don't form nicely so I have quite a bit of frizz, I've learned to live with it most days. Sometimes I absolutely hate it but on those days I pin it up somehow and try to forget it.
I actually have a bob right now, first time in my life and I HATE it. I have never liked bobs, not sure what possessed me to get one, I'm going to go back to my hairdresser and have layers cut back in.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2mgwj2b.jpg

butter52
October 5th, 2016, 01:06 PM
I did, for 4 years,and loved it. Just make sure its layered if your hair is curly/wavy.

alittleprincess
October 5th, 2016, 08:45 PM
Yup! That's where I started growing from this time around. I loved it. It made me feel like a rockstar :)

hopefulred
October 7th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Here ya go. This is my chin to shoulder length wild and crazy no heat, no products hair style of yore. The pieces in front of my ears are a lot longer than the rest of my hair.

As you can see, it just kinda did whatever it wanted. It was very different from day to day. The frizz especially.
http://i68.tinypic.com/9h15pi.jpg

Yours has lovely waves!! They look like you have done them with heat! Id love mine to be naturally like that!!

MlleMC- Yours are lovely soft waves too!

Thankyou for your tips everyone I'm going to the hairdressers for a consultation on Friday to see how short I would have to go to get rid of the worst of the damage, don't think I can pull off or bare to have a pixie (its just not me doesn't suit me at all) just below ears is a far as I can bare otherwise if that's going to still leave me with split ends il have to wait till its grown out abit and then have it cut to ear length.

Littleprincess- How long is your hair now? Has it grown quickly, I'm so impatient Iv not had it cut yet but I already want to speed growth up and know the secret to fast growing hair even though its just how fast your hair grows and time!! Doesn't stop me wishing for extra fast growing hair!! I keep thinking how long until the healthy hair is to certain lengths! Grow hair grow!! Its so ironic, Iv always hated my natural ginger (strawberry blonde) hair colour ad now when I want it its taking ages to come out!!! I just want my natural colour to about BSL, currently have 2-3cms of virgin hair so only oh how many years!?! Huge sigh!!

littlestarface
October 7th, 2016, 01:00 PM
I have had that a short bob when I was a teen, and I think it looked good without much effort. Actually, when I look at the pictures now, I find that I looked much better when I left it wavy than when I straightened it (unlike what I thought at the time). This is what it looked like at the shortest:

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/mclairel/0court.jpg

Most days, I just put the front part away from my face with bobby pins or a headband, like in the picture, but when I wanted a fancier look, I would use some kind of mousse to define the waves. And when it grew back, I loved doing short pigtails and ponytails.

Marie your hair looks so cute like that, your hair is beautiful so don't cut lool but it just looked so adorable here.

animetor7
October 7th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Hopefulred you've mentioned in a few of your posts that you want your hair to grow back as quickly and healthily as possible, but that you also want/need to heat style. These things are not compatible. Particularly with hair that is already chemically damaged. I suggest learning more about how to work with your natural texture and don't do anything damaging to your hair for a good long while to allow you to baby your damaged hair and prevent damage on the virgin hair. Personally I think that you're quite lucky to have wavy/curly hair if you have to have a short cut. I think that short curly hair is very cute and charming!! Much more so than short straight hair in my opinion which can look a bit like a stock business/CEO lady from tv shows for my taste. (But I'm not everyone!!! :) )Short curly hair makes me think of a mischievous pixie or fairy. Very pretty!! :)

As others have suggested check out CO washing and the curly girl method to really make your natural texture shine! :flower:

hopefulred
October 7th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Hopefulred you've mentioned in a few of your posts that you want your hair to grow back as quickly and healthily as possible, but that you also want/need to heat style. These things are not compatible. Particularly with hair that is already chemically damaged. I suggest learning more about how to work with your natural texture and don't do anything damaging to your hair for a good long while to allow you to baby your damaged hair and prevent damage on the virgin hair. Personally I think that you're quite lucky to have wavy/curly hair if you have to have a short cut. I think that short curly hair is very cute and charming!! Much more so than short straight hair in my opinion which can look a bit like a stock business/CEO lady from tv shows for my taste. (But I'm not everyone!!! :) )Short curly hair makes me think of a mischievous pixie or fairy. Very pretty!! :)

As others have suggested check out CO washing and the curly girl method to really make your natural texture shine! :flower:

Id only heat style my hair when its all virgin and short, when it grows long enough I would stay away from the heat and embrace my waves, definatly want healthy hair and for it to grow as quick as possible but when it is all virgin hair I want to feel nice with it whilst its growing out.

Funny how we have different views and likes, Id like my hair short and straight but not wavy and short but t s what it is and I'm in this situation so will have to put up with it until its grows longer.

Lapushka has sent me to the curly girls thread its difficult though as I found a lot of the people on there have long hair and my waves are so different when its long hence doing this post. Will defo look at trying CO thankyou.

MsKafka
September 8th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Definitely going to start trying the "don't touch when wet/damp" rule next time I wash my hair!