PDA

View Full Version : Scary/disgusting accident

Lucy Elizabeth
October 1st, 2016, 01:55 PM
Hello friends!

First off, I am very happy to say that I am about an inch away from hitting TBL :happydance:

However, the other night I had probably the WORST hair accident in my long-haired life. Ever since it got to my hips, it's been getting caught in everything. I've had a few close calls with the vacuum, car door, etc but most of the time I've been really good with keeping it up/braided, especially if I'm going out somewhere. But lately, it's gotten to the point where I can rarely wear it down in the safety of my own home. I usually keep it in a low ponytail/braid/ponytail-bun at home due to my clumsiness but the other night I made a HUGE mistake in leaving it down...

:violin::violin::violin:

The last month we've had a really bad problem with fruit flies so we bought fly tape to hang around the house, and for the most part I've been really good at avoiding getting caught in it. By the end of the month, with the cooler weather coming in, we started taking down most of the traps. All but one I did not know about. The other night after finishing washing my hair I turned a corner to go close the solarium window something grabbed me and jerked me back. Thinking it was leftover tape from a halloween decoration we had hanging up I laughed it off and started on unraveling myself from it. I was shocked to find the bottom of the fly tape hanging from my head. It was mostly the front part of my hair/bangs it attacked but my hair was so badly tangled it looked like a giant knot ball. Painstakingly I removed my hair as gently as I could from the tape while my brother laughed at me (jerk) and after about 10 minutes got it all out but the hair was all stuck together from the adhesive and felt disgusting I was so scared of what the chemicals would do (keep in mind I'm still a hair virgin and have a fear of chemicals of any sort).
I get DBF on the phone and am freaking out and he's trying to calm me down until he gets the brilliant idea of putting coconut oil in my hair to get the glue out (he knows my love of coconut oil) so I did that, left it in for an hour then washed it out and my hair was back to normal. Definitely terrifying at the time but atleast I can laugh about it now. Have a little bit of breakage but I was planning on getting 2 inches off at the end of October so it all worked out.

Moral of the story: Brothers suck, always beware of fly tape regardless of the time of the year, your hair is never safe in your own home (LOL) and coconut oil solves everything :D

Feel free to share funny/terrifying hair stories down below, I need to know I'm not the only klutz here

Andthetalltrees
October 1st, 2016, 02:04 PM
I can say luckily I've never gotten stuck in fly tape. But we've had a rabbit and a dog get stuck in some before. Its scary and It's an absolute pain to get out! I'm glad it didn't turn out too bad after all and you were able to save most of your hair.

meteor
October 1st, 2016, 02:39 PM
Oh boy! That's absolutely terrifying! :scared:
So glad to hear your hair is safe now! :)

I get DBF on the phone and am freaking out and he's trying to calm me down until he gets the brilliant idea of putting coconut oil in my hair to get the glue out (he knows my love of coconut oil) so I did that, left it in for an hour then washed it out and my hair was back to normal.

Moral of the story: Brothers suck, always beware of fly tape regardless of the time of the year, your hair is never safe in your own home (LOL) and coconut oil solves everything :D

He-he :lol: , this reminds me of all those coconut oil "solution to everything" (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/de/c7/a4/dec7a4e793f4961f4aee5fa27a47d18b.jpg) memes...

CarrotTop
October 1st, 2016, 02:54 PM
Fly paper is the worst! We don't use it at home, but I specifically remember this one room where there was fly paper everywhere. I got my hair stuck in it multiple times within one day. shudder: Luckily, the type they were using wasn't very sticky at all, but the thought of that incident grosses me out to this day. :scared:

missrandie
October 1st, 2016, 02:56 PM
Hello friends!

First off, I am very happy to say that I am about an inch away from hitting TBL :happydance:

However, the other night I had probably the WORST hair accident in my long-haired life. Ever since it got to my hips, it's been getting caught in everything. I've had a few close calls with the vacuum, car door, etc but most of the time I've been really good with keeping it up/braided, especially if I'm going out somewhere. But lately, it's gotten to the point where I can rarely wear it down in the safety of my own home. I usually keep it in a low ponytail/braid/ponytail-bun at home due to my clumsiness but the other night I made a HUGE mistake in leaving it down...

:violin::violin::violin:

The last month we've had a really bad problem with fruit flies so we bought fly tape to hang around the house, and for the most part I've been really good at avoiding getting caught in it. By the end of the month, with the cooler weather coming in, we started taking down most of the traps. All but one I did not know about. The other night after finishing washing my hair I turned a corner to go close the solarium window something grabbed me and jerked me back. Thinking it was leftover tape from a halloween decoration we had hanging up I laughed it off and started on unraveling myself from it. I was shocked to find the bottom of the fly tape hanging from my head. It was mostly the front part of my hair/bangs it attacked but my hair was so badly tangled it looked like a giant knot ball. Painstakingly I removed my hair as gently as I could from the tape while my brother laughed at me (jerk) and after about 10 minutes got it all out but the hair was all stuck together from the adhesive and felt disgusting I was so scared of what the chemicals would do (keep in mind I'm still a hair virgin and have a fear of chemicals of any sort).
I get DBF on the phone and am freaking out and he's trying to calm me down until he gets the brilliant idea of putting coconut oil in my hair to get the glue out (he knows my love of coconut oil) so I did that, left it in for an hour then washed it out and my hair was back to normal. Definitely terrifying at the time but atleast I can laugh about it now. Have a little bit of breakage but I was planning on getting 2 inches off at the end of October so it all worked out.

Feel free to share funny/terrifying hair stories down below, I need to know I'm not the only klutz here

Coconut oil is how I got fly paper adhesive out of my hair as well. It works pretty slick!

lapushka
October 1st, 2016, 04:28 PM
Oh well, it's all OK now. Thank goodness. Is there any chance you could wear your hair up more? I mean, imagine what else you could get yourself tangled up in. ;)

littlestarface
October 1st, 2016, 04:37 PM
I see a title say "scary/disgusting" i'm thinking your hair dropped in the toilet before you flushed LOL

vampyyri
October 1st, 2016, 05:26 PM
He-he :lol: , this reminds me of all those coconut oil "solution to everything" (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/de/c7/a4/dec7a4e793f4961f4aee5fa27a47d18b.jpg) memes...

:spitting::rollin:

I'm glad you bounced back from it!! That's scary!!

Stormynights
October 1st, 2016, 06:02 PM
Years ago my brother hung fly tape in my house when I told him not to and I got it all tangled in my hair. I did get it out but I was so angry at him. All he needed to do was keep the door closed and use the fly swatter.

Alissalocks
October 2nd, 2016, 08:04 AM
(I can't wait to have these kinds of problems....)

melesine
October 2nd, 2016, 10:23 AM
I learned the hard way when I caught my hair on fire a few years ago on the stove. Luckily it was just a small area as I had leaned over to check the flame when I turned the stove on and my hair fell over my shoulder and into the flame. After that, I always wore my hair up when cooking, no matter what. Now that it's getting longer after my chop last year, I need to start being vigilant again about wearing it up. Thanks for the reminder. I'm glad the fly tape incident wasn't worse.

lora410
October 2nd, 2016, 02:10 PM
Just last week had my hair in a ponytail and my chihuahua jumped up onto my lap and then to my shoulders(he hangs out up there) . He somehow got the hook that holds his name tag stuck onto my scalp hair. so I was scrambling to get my ponytail out before he moved and ripped a nice chunk of my hair out of my scalp. I couldnt get my hair band undone without him trying to get free, so I quickly unclipped his collar. could have been veryyy bad.

TheaLee
October 3rd, 2016, 01:36 PM
(I can't wait to have these kinds of problems....)

Haha same here. I bet when we get there we'll be missing short hair problems! :doh: :laugh:

maco
October 3rd, 2016, 03:35 PM
I see a title say "scary/disgusting" i'm thinking your hair dropped in the toilet before you flushed LOL

That's not quite the feces-related incident I was imagining, but...yeah...

DoomKitty
October 5th, 2016, 01:01 AM
Ick! Glad everything turned out okay :)

truepeacenik
October 6th, 2016, 09:05 AM
I've singed bangs a few times, and got one ponytail end in a candle. All long since grown out.

The worst external tangle was the wheels of a stool while receiving massage.
Hair down, short height massage table, moving stool.
Ouch.

Now I check exactly where anyone's ends are as the turn face up.

CrazyWaves
October 6th, 2016, 06:07 PM
I once had a clump of hair singed off the top of my head by a floating ember at a bonfire maybe 8 or 10 years ago. It was pretty chilly and I had ear warmers on, but didn't put up the hood of my jacket. My husband put it out before I got burned, but I didn't realize how much hair got burned off until the next morning when I took out my bun

lithostoic
October 6th, 2016, 07:57 PM
I've caught my hair on fire a few times lighting stuff close to my face. Nothing crazy, just a singe. And of course my stupid glasses at least twice a week pull out some hair -.- I typically wear it back now to avoid these types of things, but I have such pretty hair and want to let it loose more :/

akuamoonmaui
October 12th, 2016, 03:48 PM
My greatest fear is I will get my hair caught in the laminator at school. I don't think any amount of coconut oil would help that.... The other is it catching on fire while cooking. :pray: that never happens.

When I was married, my wasband (now ex=husband) had long hair and was drilling a hole in the floor for a TV cable or something, the drill bit got caught in his hair and in less than a second he had the whole drill stuck to his head. I don't remember how he/we got it untangled...

Lucy Elizabeth
October 13th, 2016, 04:10 AM
Haha thanks for the support guys :grouphug: I enjoyed hearing all your stories, too!