PDA

View Full Version : What can I do to fix my texture?

emmadilemma
September 29th, 2016, 12:13 PM
I'm getting really frustrated. My hair is 2c/3a. If I let it air dry, it becomes really poofy. The curls arent defined but rather like a fluffy curl with other hairs around it that cant conform to the shape of the curl and looks really frizzy and spread out. Like this, where like there are curls but poofy and not together - http://images.totalbeauty.com/content/photos/frizzy-hairstyles-01.jpg I've tried both brushing and not brushing when its wet. If I do a no heat hairstyle when its wet, like braiding it or doing a no heat curl technique, my hair comes out as if I had fried my hair with an iron and then brushed it out- really spread out, poofy, frizzy. If I do a no heat straight hair technique with all of the bobbi pins to put it down, it turns out like the left side of this photo: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/mJPuF1rfk1E/maxresdefault.jpg (I'm sorry, I don't know how to insert images?) I've tried deep conditioning, protein treatments, not washing my hair as much, cutting my hair shorter, everything I can think of. I also use a silk pillowcase. I've also tried that 'plop' technique for curly hair. I've tried different washing techniques. I've tried using bottled water so there wasnt any hard water touching my hair. I've tried wide tooth combs, and not brushing at all.
I've tried products for frizz, I've tried curl definers, I've tried going silicone free and silicone (my hair prefers silicones). I don't use sulfates. I'm just really confused and don't really know what to do. Does anybody have any advice at all...? I'll literally take anything at this point! :( :confused:

littlestarface
September 29th, 2016, 12:18 PM
You have a beautiful hair type, have you tried just going full curly girl method on it? I bet your hair would be so amazing after it. And dont dont brush it out especially when it's wet rip curls. Literally just use conditioner to wash your hair comb it when conditioner is on it( or before you take a shower) and then rinse it out and plop when your done. Let it to dry on its own no touching it, put some leave in and your done unless you go with the LOC method. Your hair will be so beautiful curls along with your beautiful face.

If your hair is poofy like those pics i'm guessing you need to clarify and moisture asap, those pictures hair looks so dry and thirsty.

PixieP
September 29th, 2016, 12:18 PM
You use silicones, but no sulfate? Do you clarify at all? You might have massive product buildup that causes this.

emmadilemma
September 29th, 2016, 12:31 PM
You have a beautiful hair type, have you tried just going full curly girl method on it? I bet your hair would be so amazing after it. And dont dont brush it out especially when it's wet rip curls. Literally just use conditioner to wash your hair comb it when conditioner is on it( or before you take a shower) and then rinse it out and plop when your done. Let it to dry on its own no touching it, put some leave in and your done unless you go with the LOC method. Your hair will be so beautiful curls along with your beautiful face.

If your hair is poofy like those pics i'm guessing you need to clarify and moisture asap, those pictures hair looks so dry and thirsty.

You're very sweet, your comment was so kind!
I've tried curly girl, I have tried not brushing at all after its wet but I'll try everything you suggested and see if it works!
I clarify with joico (joiko?) clarifying shampoo (smells like coconuts!) and do a moisture treatment once a week or once every other week depending on how lazy I am :D
I also use a citric acid rinse and a catnip tea rinse on a regular basis, and I also use a gelatin protein treatment when my hair needs it.
I'm really excited to try what you suggested!! Thank you for your kindness and advice!:cheese:

littlestarface
September 29th, 2016, 12:36 PM
You're very sweet, your comment was so kind!
I've tried curly girl, I have tried not brushing at all after its wet but I'll try everything you suggested and see if it works!
I clarify with joico (joiko?) clarifying shampoo (smells like coconuts!) and do a moisture treatment once a week or once every other week depending on how lazy I am :D
I also use a citric acid rinse and a catnip tea rinse on a regular basis, and I also use a gelatin protein treatment when my hair needs it.
I'm really excited to try what you suggested!! Thank you for your kindness and advice!:cheese:

Yea I use joico too, that stuff is magic. Don't forget to use honey along with your DTs or conditioner if you don't already. As I am makes a good cleansing conditioner and so is trader joes tea tree treat conditioner, I use those now and works fantastic along with tresemme conditioners.

Your welcome and remember you have to stick with it for a while to see results, it's slow but those pretty wurls will be worth it.

emmadilemma
September 29th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Yea I use joico too, that stuff is magic. Don't forget to use honey along with your DTs or conditioner if you don't already. As I am makes a good cleansing conditioner and so is trader joes tea tree treat conditioner, I use those now and works fantastic along with tresemme conditioners.

Your welcome and remember you have to stick with it for a while to see results, it's slow but those pretty wurls will be worth it.

I've never used honey! I'm a little nervous about it because of the way it smells and how sticky it is. I've actually been looking for a good cleansing conditioner thank you!
I hope you have a beautiful day!

littlestarface
September 29th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I've never used honey! I'm a little nervous about it because of the way it smells and how sticky it is. I've actually been looking for a good cleansing conditioner thank you!
I hope you have a beautiful day!

I use it all the time and when you put some with the conditioner it actually makes it quiet smooth so don't worry about that. It's a great moisture treatment my hair always feels like silk after I rinse it out and I literally have no tangles after the shower.

You too gorgeous ^_^.

littlestarface
September 29th, 2016, 01:06 PM
I forgot to put a link :doh: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/no-poo/the-curly-girl-method-for-coily-hair/ I like reading this website.

Kajzh
September 29th, 2016, 01:09 PM
You mentioned that air drying specifically makes it frizzy. Does it get frizzy when you blow dry it? If blow drying is what works for you, have you tried blow drying on low/medium using the chase method with your brush? That might help optimize your blow dry routine.

emmadilemma
September 29th, 2016, 01:34 PM
You mentioned that air drying specifically makes it frizzy. Does it get frizzy when you blow dry it? If blow drying is what works for you, have you tried blow drying on low/medium using the chase method with your brush? That might help optimize your blow dry routine.

(side note I did creep your profile and you have amazing skin just thought I'd let you know xD) I've tried blow drying and it does fix it a little but not much! It kind of looks how it did way back when I used sulfates and would blow dry, I get these frizzy lines in the hair that frames my neck and alot of flyaways everywhere, if that makes any sense. I've tried it with my BBB and without. It does make my hair really shiny when I use it on cool though! I'm not trying to be that person thats like 'thats not gonna work, thats not gonna work, thats not gonna work' to everything, I've just tried everything I can trying to fix it. :(

spidermom
September 29th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Aloe vera gel (the clear kind sold for skin care, like Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel) works great to define curls. Comb conditioner through in the shower. Be careful not to mess hair around too much after washing and rinsing; blot dry (don't rub) with something soft like a tshirt or flannel pillowcase. Spread aloe gel between wet palms and among fingers, then finger comb through your length. Last, run your palms lightly over your hair from top of head to length. This will help keep 100,001 little frizzies from popping up.

You could also use a curl cream or similar product instead or in addition. The key is to avoid combing or brushing your hair until you are ready to braid it or put it into some sort of up-style.

Oh, and do a search for frizzy styles. Texture is all the rage these days.

Anje
September 29th, 2016, 01:49 PM
One thought -- if you're in Minneapolis, you might have some pretty hard water. (I don't know what the municipal system is, but that area of the country has super-hard water generally.) You might want to try a chelating treatment or a hard water-specific shampoo every so often. Sally Beauty sells these little packets (http://www.sallybeauty.com/crystal-clarifying-treatment/SBS-302208,default,pd.html) which are good for that, if you don't want to buy a bottle of something. The sodium gluconate in there is a fantastic chelator for mineral buildup.

After that, my recommendations are also for trying some more Curly Girl types of methods. Leaving some conditioner in by not rinsing it fully is an easy one. So is adding honey to conditioner (but don't pair that with the first one! Honey rinses away easily enough that it doesn't stay sticky, but you do need to rinse it out!). A bit of gel worked through your dripping hair might also help, and you can scrunch it to get rid of the crunchy feeling once it's dry.

Lanalavallama
September 29th, 2016, 01:58 PM
I totally understand texture "issues" but I don't think it needs to be "fixed", just loved right :) Not saying you don't like your texture, just trying to put it in a different perspective.
Have you considered using aloe Vera juice or gel? Also, do you style your hair while it is sopping wet, or do you first plop/pat it dry and then put your styler on? Try detangling with conditioner or something, and then rinse without disturbing the clumped curls, and then while it is wet *soaking* add your styler. Plop gently with a tshirt. I saw a YouTuber do that, Naptural85.
I hope something in that response helps, because I have been in a similar situation. It drove me insane :)

:blossom:

vampyyri
September 29th, 2016, 02:03 PM
I would look into LOC, it made my unmanageable hair behave!

Lanalavallama
September 29th, 2016, 02:16 PM
Second Vampyyri's LOC suggestion. LOC can work wonders for some.

lapushka
September 29th, 2016, 02:36 PM
And if you're looking for the LOC thread, it is linked in my signature.

I would second the LOC/LCO method!

emmadilemma
September 29th, 2016, 06:10 PM
I totally understand texture "issues" but I don't think it needs to be "fixed", just loved right :) Not saying you don't like your texture, just trying to put it in a different perspective.
Have you considered using aloe Vera juice or gel? Also, do you style your hair while it is sopping wet, or do you first plop/pat it dry and then put your styler on? Try detangling with conditioner or something, and then rinse without disturbing the clumped curls, and then while it is wet *soaking* add your styler. Plop gently with a tshirt. I saw a YouTuber do that, Naptural85.
I hope something in that response helps, because I have been in a similar situation. It drove me insane :)

:blossom:

I've never used aloe vera at all! Is it something that moisturizes or is simply for like how your hair turns out when it dries? my hair can get too much product/moisture pretty easily and thats kind of why I'm a little afraid of like honey and aloe vera because I don't know exactly what they do! I should research it all but that didnt occur to me until just now xD I'm also afraid of that like, too-much-gel curl look- like you know when you see girls that have curls that look like they added a handful of gel and then sprayed alot of hair spray in it? Like the middle picture here- http://hairromance-3df0.kxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Hair-Romance-How-to-style-curly-hair-for-frizz-free-curls-7.jpg I don't know, maybe I've just not gotten to the point where I accept that I have messy curls and am never going to have ringlets or straight hair yano? Thank you for being so lovely. :)

emmadilemma
September 29th, 2016, 06:11 PM
Would you guys say that the LOC is just for people whos hair can handle alot of product though? I tried adding a small amount of oil to wet hair once and my hair looked like I hadnt washed in weeks! Is there a way to do like a mild LOC?

Obsidian
September 29th, 2016, 07:52 PM
I've tried the LOC method and my hair hates it. I can use either leave in or oil, not both. I like a coney leave in a bit better but it builds up faster then oil so I use oil more often. For my length, I only need about 3 drops of avocado oil. You really only need a small amount and focus it on your ends.

vampyyri
September 29th, 2016, 09:04 PM
Would you guys say that the LOC is just for people whos hair can handle alot of product though? I tried adding a small amount of oil to wet hair once and my hair looked like I hadnt washed in weeks! Is there a way to do like a mild LOC?

I use a very small amount of each product in my LOC, it doesn't take a lot! I have a blog post on what I use and how much, it's very minimal.
I don't use oil in my LOC, my hair responds very badly to oil as well.

littlestarface
September 29th, 2016, 09:31 PM

I can't use it too much, it leaves my hair too oily looking. I like a leave in and then maybe some custard if i'm gonna wear my hair down.

emmadilemma
September 29th, 2016, 10:34 PM
I can't use it too much, it leaves my hair too oily looking. I like a leave in and then maybe some custard if i'm gonna wear my hair down.

This is probably a stupid question, but whats custard? Also do you know what kind of leave ins are good for this? I sometimes use a silicone frizz serum.. is that a leave in? I'm sorry if this is dumb :)

emmadilemma
September 29th, 2016, 10:38 PM

Also I wanted you to know that your hair is incredible. Its like something a mermaid would have. Its so shiny and beautiful!

littlestarface
September 29th, 2016, 10:46 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but whats custard? Also do you know what kind of leave ins are good for this? I sometimes use a silicone frizz serum.. is that a leave in? I'm sorry if this is dumb :)
Custard is like a gel but it's natural so it soaks in the hair and leaves it soft not crunchy. I use Kinky Kurly Kurling Custard.
Yes that is a type of leave in, some use thin conditioner type ones some use serum type ones.

Also I wanted you to know that your hair is incredible. Its like something a mermaid would have. Its so shiny and beautiful!

Aww thanks Emma your way too kind!

Upside Down
September 29th, 2016, 10:57 PM
It may be that you are doing too much.

With wurly and curly hair it is so important not to touch it while it is drying.

I used to brush with conditioner on. Rinse.
Get out of the tub, apply product (cream usually) on soaking wet hair. Scrunch using the towel, and leave it be!

When in a hurry and to add volume I used a diffuser and tipped my hair upside down to dry a bit, at the point when my hair is already 80% dry.

emmadilemma
September 29th, 2016, 11:44 PM
I don't do much I don't think, I only use a couple products when I wash my hair. If I use too many products my hair looks like someone sprayed every inch with cheap hairspray haha! :)

I just finished trying some stuff recommended today; I combed my hair prior to washing it, once it was washed I didnt touch it AT ALL, when it was literally streaming down a waterfall- soaking wet- I applied some gel I found in my grammas closet (it didnt have any alcohol or anything in it, it looks like good quality IMO from the ingredients), then immediately after did the plopping method. I left it on for 30 minutes, took it down and it was like my hair usually is so I thought I'd leave the plopping method on for awhile longer. I left it for a total of maybe 4 hours until my hair was 93% dry and it still turned out the way my hair is usually. To be fair though it is really shiny after all that!
I dunno guys, I think I might just be SOL. I'm thinking about going back to heat. My hair is so much healthier than it used to be but I miss giving myself a blow out and having the frizz free, flowy, heat goodness. My hair was dry as heck but I felt alot more confident about it you know? Its not that my hair is dead from all that because I havent done that since I was really young so all that hair is gone now. But I feel like hair is to be enjoyed. As healthy and shiny and soft as it is now, my heart just kinda sinks when I see what it looks like. Sorry for the long rant but I wanted to say all that. I hope thats okay. :)

Obsidian
September 29th, 2016, 11:56 PM
Do you always plop? I have the same texture as you and plopping makes my hair frizzy. It's better when I comb it wet, scrunch the curls back in and let it air dry.

emmadilemma
September 30th, 2016, 12:45 AM
I've tried it once before but it didnt work then either, but I'm always up to try things again! I've tried almost everything. I think this is just my hair.

lapushka
September 30th, 2016, 03:03 AM

The key to LOC is not using a lot of product and piling it on top of each other. It is using a *tad* of each and combining them. I do about a coinsize of each for classic length hair, and that's a lot already! So if you have shorter hair, definitely use far less. Less is more! And only target your lengths (ear down, or even further down the lengths). But you should find all that info in the LOC thread. ;)

Lanalavallama
September 30th, 2016, 03:16 AM
I've never used aloe vera at all! Is it something that moisturizes or is simply for like how your hair turns out when it dries? my hair can get too much product/moisture pretty easily and thats kind of why I'm a little afraid of like honey and aloe vera because I don't know exactly what they do! I should research it all but that didnt occur to me until just now xD I'm also afraid of that like, too-much-gel curl look- like you know when you see girls that have curls that look like they added a handful of gel and then sprayed alot of hair spray in it? Like the middle picture here- http://hairromance-3df0.kxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Hair-Romance-How-to-style-curly-hair-for-frizz-free-curls-7.jpg I don't know, maybe I've just not gotten to the point where I accept that I have messy curls and am never going to have ringlets or straight hair yano? Thank you for being so lovely. :)

Aloe Vera is a humectant, so it will moisturize your hair, and can be used as a styler too. I like using either aloe Vera gel or honey in a moisturising deep treatment (aka SMT on LHC) because it leaves my hair so soft and is rinsed out. All the benefits none of the stickiness if your hair doesn't like it as a leave in.

I don't like hair that looks or feels weighed down either, or like it is smothered in product.

It really boils down to experimenting. Aloe Vera juice is a great sealant on my hair.

Have fun trying new things and methods, and then you might have the happy accident of finding the perfect method and products on your hair.

ETA: That middle pic looks like her hair would be slightly hard or sticky to the touch.

Kimberly
September 30th, 2016, 07:04 AM
I *like* poofy hair. There is frizz due to damage, and then there's hair that is just poofy hair. Poofy hair doesn't need fixing -- it isn't broken. It isn't a matter of hair health, but of fashion, which is transient. Heck, when I was a kid, this hair style was popular, and people with straight hair did all sorts of things to get the same effect. I mean, the pic you linked to, that looks like a studio example photo from a stylist, not a "before" shot with the black bar over a fashion victim's eyes.

That said, nothing ever depoofed my hair more effectively than a water-only routine.

But I like poof, and I look kinda bad with flat hair, and when I see gorgeous old daguerreotypes of Victorian women with floor-length hair, there's usually poof. :-)

sumidha
September 30th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Maybe CO washing/curly girl for an extended period of time? There's some pretty amazing before and after pictures on the CO washing thread, it seems like it sometimes takes several months of using tons of conditioner for the curl pattern to sort of find itself again after being disrupted.

Upside Down
September 30th, 2016, 12:54 PM
I don't do much I don't think, I only use a couple products when I wash my hair. If I use too many products my hair looks like someone sprayed every inch with cheap hairspray haha! :)

I just finished trying some stuff recommended today; I combed my hair prior to washing it, once it was washed I didnt touch it AT ALL, when it was literally streaming down a waterfall- soaking wet- I applied some gel I found in my grammas closet (it didnt have any alcohol or anything in it, it looks like good quality IMO from the ingredients), then immediately after did the plopping method. I left it on for 30 minutes, took it down and it was like my hair usually is so I thought I'd leave the plopping method on for awhile longer. I left it for a total of maybe 4 hours until my hair was 93% dry and it still turned out the way my hair is usually. To be fair though it is really shiny after all that!
I dunno guys, I think I might just be SOL. I'm thinking about going back to heat. My hair is so much healthier than it used to be but I miss giving myself a blow out and having the frizz free, flowy, heat goodness. My hair was dry as heck but I felt alot more confident about it you know? Its not that my hair is dead from all that because I havent done that since I was really young so all that hair is gone now. But I feel like hair is to be enjoyed. As healthy and shiny and soft as it is now, my heart just kinda sinks when I see what it looks like. Sorry for the long rant but I wanted to say all that. I hope thats okay. :)

I don't mean too many products, I mean manipulation. For what it is worth, my hair didn't do well with plopping either, it was frizzy as hell. I just let it dry loose without touching it

Hair should be enjoyed, I agree. If heat does it for you, then great.

I would also maybe look into keratine streightening. There is a pretty big thread here:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=130725&highlight=Kerasilk&page=23

And I myself have a great relationship with Kerasilk.

emmadilemma
October 2nd, 2016, 05:15 PM
So I guess I have alot of new things to try eh? :) I'm going to try some honey and aloe vera - a little nervous because from my understanding humectants are like a breeding ground for frizz arent they? either way, I'm giving it a go! I'm also going to try the various techniques and product suggestions everyone mentioned. I've got alot of experimenting to do! Also, Upside Down, arent keratine straightening treatments bad because they block the hair shaft from any type of moisture and cause more damage in the long run? Does that happen in your experience? Thank you guys, I really do appreciate everything. And at the end of it all, if this is just how my hair is at this stage in my life, then so be it! :)

littlestarface
October 2nd, 2016, 05:18 PM
So I guess I have alot of new things to try eh? :) I'm going to try some honey and aloe vera - a little nervous because from my understanding humectants are like a breeding ground for frizz arent they? either way, I'm giving it a go! I'm also going to try the various techniques and product suggestions everyone mentioned. I've got alot of experimenting to do! Also, Upside Down, arent keratine straightening treatments bad because they block the hair shaft from any type of moisture and cause more damage in the long run? Does that happen in your experience? Thank you guys, I really do appreciate everything. And at the end of it all, if this is just how my hair is at this stage in my life, then so be it! :)

When I do my honey stuff I always either do it in the shower with the water on super hot and just sit in the bathroom with steam for like 10mins or I use a heat cap, I never have any frizzy hair.

emmadilemma
October 5th, 2016, 07:27 PM
When I do my honey stuff I always either do it in the shower with the water on super hot and just sit in the bathroom with steam for like 10mins or I use a heat cap, I never have any frizzy hair.

How often do you do it? What would you say it does to benefit your hair??

littlestarface
October 5th, 2016, 08:07 PM
How often do you do it? What would you say it does to benefit your hair??

Once a week with every wash, it makes it really really soft and smooth.