PDA

View Full Version : Another thread made me think (scalp goop)

Periwinkle
October 20th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I've just read another thread and a couple of people mentioned this problem, so I thought that maybe someone has a solution. I don't like to threadjack, so I've made a new thread :)

The problem: the scalp at the top of my neck (from start of hair to about 1.5" into my hair) is problematic. When dry, there are large flakes there, that are sort of stuck to the scalp. I can only get them off by pulling them down the hair strand. I try not to do this because sometimes it makes my scalp bleed (!) but I have a bad habit of fiddling with the hair there because it flops down. It feels sort of scaly, but not really scaly enough to be scaly, if you know what I mean.

When wet, it's like a kind of white paste that comes off quite easily.

It is not sore. It is not itchy. I don't have any medical conditions or allergies that I know of. This does not happen anywhere else on my head.

Any ideas what it could be/what I could do?

A while ago, I had a serious dandruff problem (eventually resolved with a change in diet). I tried using an anti-dandruff shampoo, which cleared both my dandruff and Problem X almost overnight. I no longer use it (change in diet, as I said, and also it's a coney shampoo and I'm trying to go coneless.

I wash once/twice a week. I use lush's rehab shampoo on my scalp and then oil the rest. I kneel down over the shower and wash that way so I'm sure that the back of my neck gets lots of washing!

chrissy-b
October 20th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure what this problem is, but you said it was cleared up immediately with an anti-dandruff shampoo? Maybe trying the shampoo again would clear it up.

This could be a reoccurrence of the same problem, only not as severe since you've changed your diet. Or maybe you accidentally introduced one of the foods that was causing this problem to begin with and caused it to flare up again. Check your diet to see if this could be the case and eliminate it at the source.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, I'm sure someone else will have better advice.

JessTheMess
October 20th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Maybe you could use the dandruff shampoo on only that part of your scalp? Sounds like my DF's scalp. Only around his ears and back of his head does he get scaly dandruff.

MadHatter
October 20th, 2008, 01:23 PM
If the shampoo is what works on this area, I think you should start using it again. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to refrain from using something that helps just because it has cones in it. :twocents:

KarenLynn
October 20th, 2008, 01:38 PM
It's also possible that what you're experiencing is seborrheic dermatitis. I don't know what the active ingredient is in your dandruff shampoo, but -azoles like ketoconazole generally help with seborrheic dermatitis. There are other preparations besides shampoos that you can use locally, though I don't know what they might be called in your area.

Hope you find a solution that works for you!

nomadhome
October 20th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I have a weird patch of sebo-psoriasis in the same spot and I use a Jason's shampoo made for scalp problems just on that area as needed and my usual dairywhip everywhere else.

Dolly
October 20th, 2008, 02:55 PM
My son is almost 10, and has had SD on his scalp since he was about 2 years old (as soon as his hair thickened up). That is exactly what your problem sounds like. We tried everything, including prescription meds, but the only thing that cleared it is the CV Neem and Tea Tree Bar. After just about a month, his head is almost clear! You may want to give it a try.

nappywomyn
October 20th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I'd suspect that what ever you use to wash the back of your neck when you are washing your body is irritating your scalp skin - maybe use a different soap on the back of your neck, or make sure to rinse your neck hairs super well after showering?

Elphie
October 20th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Any change in laundry detergent? A turtleneck or a scarf would hit that area frequently, maybe it's unrelated to your hair care?

Deborah
October 20th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Hi. This might seem to be out in left field, but have you considered applying Monistat on the affected parts of your scalp? Some of our members use it to promote faster hair growth, and several have mentioned how it cleared up scalp problems they were having. Makes sense since Monistat is an anti-fungal, and many scalp problems are caused by fungi of some type.