PDA

View Full Version : your best tips to speed up hair growth??

hopefulred
September 29th, 2016, 06:26 AM
Please help!!! So I need my healthy hair to grow through as quick as possible so I can get the damaged stuff cut off but it feels like its taking forever to grow, only 2cm in 2months ;-( do you have any tips to speeding growth up? I eat a healthy diet already yeah I eat chocolate but everyday I have spinach, other salad veggies, avocado, eggs fish/chicken, cheese, yoghurt, almonds and fruits and I drink at least 2litres of water a day, what else can I do to speed up growth (I just cant put oils in my hair on a night as I have the school run to do)

lapushka
September 29th, 2016, 06:40 AM
Hair grows on average 1/2 inch or about 1 to 1.5 cm a month. There's fairly little you can do about that. It just takes a whole lot of patience.

You might try the inversion method; it's talked about on this site (can't find the thread ATM, but it's there).

If I were you I wouldn't go all desperate and kick into this mode where you'd almost be willing to try to swallow just about any magic (expensive) pill that will promise you a tad bit more growth. It's seriously not worth it!

Good diet, good nutrition, a good multivitamin (in my case). That's what gives me my 1/2 inch a month.

And remember 1/2 inch is a lot. Hair grows slow, sometimes even slower than this, so be glad of the growth you do get, because hair can stall for a while, grow even less, all kinds of things...

Hair is a *year*-long project, not just something of a few weeks or months. It takes *years*!

romania09
September 29th, 2016, 06:51 AM
Well, I always braid my hair at night and apply a bit of olive oil to the ends. I heard that way there is less breakage of hair and growth can occur faster.

Also, less hair manipulation is the key. If you dye, straighten, blow-dry your hair a lot, you might want to take a break for a while.

vampyyri
September 29th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Drink plenty of water, take a multivitamin, eat healthy, and have patience is basically the best you can do. As lapushka said, you could try the inversion method (basically scalp massages with your head flipped downward for 5 minutes or so every day for two weeks). I'm not sure if it works, but it would be worth a shot.

There's also a thread on here about using monistat of all things in your hair, but... that's kinda strange and I'm not sure if there are any legitimate results from it.

Miss P
September 29th, 2016, 09:07 AM
I used to grow even less than a cm a month but I've improved my growth to 1.5cm by drinking at least a litre of water a day, cutting out all heat, cutting out SLS shampoo and taking a multivitamin. I also heavy oil my hair at least once a week with a mixture of coconut and castor oil and letting it sit overnight (I do it either Fri or Sat night so I can do stuff during the week without oily hair). I tried inversion and it didn't work for me. I've also tried a weird mustard mask that sort of worked, but only for 2 months (total of 3.25cm growth). ACV rinses have helped improve overall hair quality too. In the end it takes patience and dedication and at not even APL I'm still trying out new things.

hopefulred
September 29th, 2016, 12:12 PM
will definitely try the castor oil overnight id forgotten that that's meant to help with hair growth thankyou for reminding me!! I know patience is key but if theres things I can do to speed it up abit then I'm willing to try!

littlestarface
September 29th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Not paying attention to it, literally makes it speed by. Also taking good care of it helps loads.

sarahthegemini
September 29th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Ignore it for a month or two. You'll be amazed how quick hair appears to grow when you're not paying attention. Eat healthy and drink water. Not much else you can do. Don't fall for marketing ploys, "hair growth serums" etc.

Kajzh
September 29th, 2016, 12:52 PM
We live in a capitalist world, so think of it this way: If there were any true way to guarantee fast-growing hair with visible results within weeks, it would be well-known and would cost a lot of money. As it stands, nothing like that exists! So the best you can do is optimize your health/nutrition, then practice patience! Good luck.

Dwemeri
September 29th, 2016, 01:53 PM
You might find this thread interesting! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=71576

I haven't read through the whole thread but it does look like several people had success using the rooibo/redbush tea to help their hair grow. ^^

Like was said above though, a half inch a month is generally how much hair will grow. Some people will grow even faster, some will grow slower just depending on their body. Minimizing breakage and keeping your hair moisturized and in good shape can go a long ways to making sure you get the most out of that growth.

Lanalavallama
September 29th, 2016, 02:23 PM
Lots of water, sufficient sleep, good nutrition, stress management or reduction, lots of sunshine, and focus on pampering your ends to retain length.
Rooibos and black tea rinses are also effective (for me, anyway).

Oh, and forget about it :) easier said than done.

browneyedsusan
September 29th, 2016, 03:34 PM
time

. . . . . . . .

HairPlease
September 29th, 2016, 04:07 PM
You can't get your hair to grow faster than your natural maximum growth rate, but you can do things to prevent it from being slowed down.
-Healthy diet
-Activity and exercise
-Find the right shampoo and conditioner for your scalp's health
-Scalp massage
-Reduce stress

Remember, hair growth rates will change with seasons and over time in general. Many people report slower growth in the colder months, some have reported the opposite.

lapushka
September 29th, 2016, 04:13 PM
How damaged is the damaged bit? Bleach, heat? Perm? What happened to it. It might be best to S&D the length regularly to prevent breakage to that damaged area. Or join the microtrimming thread.

Anje
September 30th, 2016, 06:21 AM
Protect your ends. If your hair is getting worn and frayed and needs to be trimmed off, you're losing what you've gained. Tuck them deep in a bun and don't secure it with an elastic (which tends to sit right on that most fragile part of your hair, not to mention it gets uncomfortable over time compared to other bunning methods - ever notice that girls with elastic-secured buns are always redoing them?).

Make sure you use plenty of conditioner on your ends. When they start to feel yucky, it's likely buildup, so use a clarifying shampoo directly on the length and ends at that point to wash it off. Repeat.

missmelaniem
September 30th, 2016, 07:12 AM
For me it has been not washing daily, keeping it up, no styling products unless I am out and about, deep condition regularly, alternate shampoo washing with co washing ... mostly am just keeping it protected and out of the way.

hopefulred
September 30th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Thankyou everyone for your tips, I definatly need to work on the stress one as because my hair is so damaged it is has given me depression and knocked all my confidence and iv been suffering with panick attacks because of it (I fear I have a form of BDD which doesn't help) so I don't want that to effect my hair growth as I need the hair growth to get healthy hair and feel better! The sleep one not so easy as I have a 2week old baby who I am breast feeding but once hes abit older that will be something I make sure I get enough of.

missmelaniem- what made you decide to do a pixie cut? How much has it grown in a year?

Lapushka- its bleach and dye damage, Iv had an olaplex treatment today and shes cut into it and got the ends off, will keep having that done every 4-6weeks until all the bleach damage is gone but my hair is only just above collarbone length (that enables me to tie it back so I dont have to use any heat on it at all) But when my virgin hair is just below the bottom of my ears I think I will have the rest of the damage cut off and then grow from there. how long do you think it will take to grow the virgin hair to afew cms below the bottom of my ear?

vampyyri
September 30th, 2016, 09:21 AM
Depends, how long are your roots right now?

hopefulred
September 30th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Only about 2cm as only started growing out 2months ago

lapushka
September 30th, 2016, 10:47 AM
That is quite a bit to go still, maybe join the grow-out thread... I'm not sure where it's at but someone should be able to dig it up for you. :flower:

2cm is a good start! Keep it up!!! :D It can only get better from here.

vampyyri
September 30th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Perhaps a year? All depends on your growth rate really.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 30th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Protecting your hair from breakage, eating healthily, reducing stress and being patient. For years, if necessary. Hair growth is slow. Even "fast" hair growth. There are no overnight results, except for hair extensions, and you don't want to go there..... They cause all manner of damage and breakage. Your hair seems to be growing at a perfectly good speed. Try to forget about it for a few months and get busy with other parts of your life and you'll see, it will grow. It already is growing!

It's already longer today than it was yesterday :) That's what I tell myself about my hair.....

Frankenstein
September 30th, 2016, 11:36 AM
The one thing I can say helps, from experience, is taking care of yourself. For two years I was very unhappy/unhealthy and my hair barely grew at all. Once I started eating better, sleeping better, being happier etc my hair seemed to grow like weeds. Self care = happy growing hair :)

Anje
September 30th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Hang in there. If you've got a new baby, you may be in for some hair shedding. Don't get discouraged if/when that happens. It's totally normal, you won't go bald, and your hair will thicken up again.

lapushka
September 30th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Hang in there. If you've got a new baby, you may be in for some hair shedding. Don't get discouraged if/when that happens. It's totally normal, you won't go bald, and your hair will thicken up again.

Yes, there is still some of that to come... I fear you might be discouraged by knowing there's something like post-partum shed (I hope you knew). It's when your hair falls out after pregnancy. It will grow back, for sure, so don't get discouraged, please! :flower:

Kat-Rinnč Naido
September 30th, 2016, 12:52 PM
hopefulred; congratulations on the birth of your baby. Hang in there and don't loose faith. Know that today your hair is in better condition then it was last week, or even last month. Enjoy getting to know your hair and keeping it happy. Remember to take care of your self too.

missmelaniem
September 30th, 2016, 01:59 PM
missmelaniem- what made you decide to do a pixie cut? How much has it grown in a year?

I wanted my color to grow out so I thought I would take all of the colored/bleached/colored ends off, but looking back I dont think it was needed. If I had trimmed a couple of inches it would have taken care of it. Oh well.. you know what they say about hindsight!

Honestly when I first cut I came back over here and was posting a lot, reading up on anything new and then I just disappeared for almost a year. For me personally it really helped for me to NOT focus on my hair after I got a growth routine in place. That "routine" turned out to be mostly just conditioning my hair, I was doing more oiling at that time and keeping may hair "up".

If you dont leave your house a lot right now with your new bb it would be a great time to oil during the day.

lora410
September 30th, 2016, 03:15 PM
Drink plenty of water, take a multivitamin, eat healthy, and have patience is basically the best you can do. As lapushka said, you could try the inversion method (basically scalp massages with your head flipped downward for 5 minutes or so every day for two weeks). I'm not sure if it works, but it would be worth a shot.

There's also a thread on here about using monistat of all things in your hair, but... that's kinda strange and I'm not sure if there are any legitimate results from it.

monistat works. This experiment came around when i first joined. I and many other women got good results. i typically watered mine down or put it on a carrier oil. I just dont have patience to do it weekly... lol

lora410
September 30th, 2016, 03:21 PM
I went through a terrible shed when I had a bad reaction to shampoo bars and then stalled on top of it all. I recently started taking Msm (im also a jogger and it helps my joints) fish oil, vitamin e, biotin and grapeseed extract. Its been a month and im FINALLY growing again. Not sure how much as I haven't measured. I'm just enjoying every length as it comes :)