PDA

View Full Version : Do you have or want long but edgy hairstyle?

OhSuzi
September 28th, 2016, 07:38 AM
I love the look of long natural elven princess hair and there's a lot of guys on here who have achieved that and and if you felt so inclined you could put it up in all kinds of interesting ways.
But for me one of the reasons for finally growing my hair really long, is that I would love a sharp angled lob and I also like the idea of a massive perm so I could have a real big lions mane of an Afro or I could dip bleach the ends dye it all crazy colours and then chop it off when it got too damaged without wrecking all my hair and losing all the length.
thing about pixie to shoulder length hair, you don't get a lot of time to become attached, I've always been happy to experiment, even if it all goes wrong I'll be annoyed about for like a day, but hair grows and if your correcting an over bleached pixie a few weeks and a trim - presto changeo great hair again.
if i commit to 3-5 years growing it long, will I be too terrified to ever do anything to it.

Are you overly precious about your long hair, take ages to deliberate on a possible change or are you like yep today lets go crazy and try something new and wild with it?
Anyone got any really cool edgy long haircut inspiration?

HairPlease
September 28th, 2016, 07:48 AM
There are tons of folks here who dye their hair very cool, stylish, bright colors. I haven't seen very many edgy cuts on here at longer lengths, but for a while when I grew out from what was essentially a crew cut, I had an edgy layered look which I bleached. I also had a stark, layered, deep-v hemline haircut at BSL which was bleached alien-white. I hated it on me--it would have looked much better on someone more punky. :rollin:
So, yeah, I did have a long, edgy hairstyle for a while. I got a lot of compliments--it just wasn't for me. I still have the temptation to dye a red streak once in a while, though.

OhSuzi
September 28th, 2016, 07:52 AM
Hopefully I'll have put this on correctly, this is the sort of thing I mean

3.bp.blogspot.com/-qshP1sd7gBI/ULzZwOphlwI/AAAAAAAAAJE/JtUIV1A4l1w/s1600/edgy-long-hair-styles-04.jpg

http://stylesweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/long-curly-hairstyle-permed-hairstyles.jpg

OhSuzi
September 28th, 2016, 07:55 AM
3.bp.blogspot.com/-qshP1sd7gBI/ULzZwOphlwI/AAAAAAAAAJE/JtUIV1A4l1w/s1600/edgy-long-hair-styles-04.jpg

It sounded cool!

spidermom
September 28th, 2016, 08:04 AM
I've definitely gotten way too precious about my hair. Some days I want a change so bad it hurts, but I know I'd regret it.

HairPlease
September 28th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Hopefully I'll have put this on correctly, this is the sort of thing I mean

http://stylesweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/long-curly-hairstyle-permed-hairstyles.jpg

That is awesome! My best best best friend in the world had his hair exactly like that for years when he was in a band. They called him "poodle boy." Those were the days.

Shiranshoku
September 28th, 2016, 10:09 AM
I have streaks, those are edgy to me :p

But I'm definitely less inclined to be impulsive with my hair now that it's long. I have a 5 year investment in it, my ends are probably 6 to 7 years old even. That's a looooong time to chop off :D

lora410
September 28th, 2016, 10:18 AM
I got over that when a perm fried my hip length hair so bad that clumps were breaking off. So now that im putting more yrs to growing it then back I won't be tempted to do anything again. It may be just hair but it's a time process to get it that far.

truepeacenik
September 28th, 2016, 11:03 AM
I got over that when a perm fried my hip length hair so bad that clumps were breaking off. So now that im putting more yrs to growing it then back I won't be tempted to do anything again. It may be just hair but it's a time process to get it that far.

Quoted for truth!

Once you get some length, you realize the investment, and make choices.

Entangled
September 28th, 2016, 12:06 PM
If you'r looking for an edgy style, there are always braiding options for an edgier look. TorrinPaige has a few videos like that.

lithostoic
September 28th, 2016, 12:16 PM
I would love to have a v hem but I'm not sure my hair is thick enough to give me the look I'm going for. I'll have to see how it looks when I grow to virgin waist with a blunt hem.

missrandie
September 28th, 2016, 12:17 PM
For me, there's always manic panic for that edgy feel :)

littlestarface
September 28th, 2016, 12:23 PM
No, my hair is too precious to me. There is times tho where i'm like I wanna do this and that but oooh then I see how the hair looks on people who do do this n that and the hair looks terrible, especially the ends looks withered, dry, so much damage. I just wanna take the hair and dip it in conditioner oil and honey. I wouldn't want that for my precious hair.

Kimberly
September 28th, 2016, 12:34 PM
I already did plenty of drastic hair experiments, including cutting from blunt nearly waist to an edgy asymmetrical cut with a waist-long spiral on one side, bleached white and dyed blue. Having bleached, dyed all sorts of colors, spiked, permed, frizzed (that big hair pic you posted looks like the 70s to me!), straightened, and more, I'm just not so eager to do anything drastic anymore. I get tired of the drastic looks, and of maintaining them, even though they are always a blast for a while. I like to change things up more often than hair can take chemical treatment, and find longer unprocessed hair gives me more options for doing interesting things without having to hang around waiting for my hair to grow back or paying a salon a pile. Also, I think switching out edgy hair toys is as cool and has fewer downsides than doing edgy things to my hair itself, and they don't cost as much as the salon trips did. I'm planning such a savage updo for Halloween -- going to try to make an armature and form my hair into a pair of big, scary horns!

Complexity
September 28th, 2016, 12:51 PM
I'm not sure that there's much 'crazy' I can do to my hair that I haven't already tried. Now that I actually give a crap about it and it's getting longer, I'm not sure that the severe damage that can happen is worth it.

Everyone's different though - If you manage to maintain the "it's just hair, it'll grow back" mentality you seem to have now (I used to have it too), you'll be set :)

NorraVarg
September 28th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I get my 'edgy' cravings with some awesome braids. I like making a sort of braid mohawk, or doing some narrow braids on one side (rather than shaving one side). I'm not sure if it's your thing, but there are tons of 'Vikings' inspired hairstyles on Youtube which are just so fantastic. You could also add in some fun accessories! I just ordered some hairbeads. Excited to try them out!

OhSuzi
September 28th, 2016, 01:05 PM
Food for thought you guys are right.
I look at a pic see an edgy hair cut / colour think I want that, but it would lose its impact after a month or so. I'd want to change it and even if the first time worked out, multiple changes, or even continual maintenance of say a perm or dye is gonna wreck it eventually.
I hadn't even thought about all the funky hair accessories you could add to help change it up. It's all theory at the moment as I'm growing out a pixie, either I'll keep the, 'it's just hair and it grows' mentality so I can have fun with funky hair stuff and chop it all off it gets wrecked or I'll fall in love with it long and it's good to know there's still options for changing it up with out damaging it.

OhSuzi
September 28th, 2016, 01:08 PM
I love faux Hawks and undercuts or even pretend braided undercuts, off to google some Viking styles!

EdG
September 28th, 2016, 01:45 PM
I have the opposite sentiment - some days I would prefer a hair style that is not as screaming loud as the Silver Swirl.

Silver Swirl: "I'm born to be wild!" :rockerdud
Ed

Robot Ninja
September 28th, 2016, 02:20 PM
There are days when I miss my mohawk. Then I remind myself of all the thickness I lost, and how much of a pain the upkeep was, and how long it took to grow out, and I don't miss it anymore. If I want to do something edgier than just having purple hair, I do it with makeup; you can play around all you like and it washes right off.

Groovy Granny
September 28th, 2016, 02:49 PM
I had the FRO in the 70's LOL.........and had an edgy cut in the 90's :o

Now I am 'edgy' having hip length silver hair at age 65 in an area where everyone cuts/curls/dyes their hair.....or they think I am senile lol :p

I am 'precious' about my hair and that will remain until my last breath....which I hope is a while yet because I worked my butt off the past
4 years growing this head of hair out from layered chin length....and I have these hair toys I love to play with :rollin:

lapushka
September 28th, 2016, 02:56 PM
I tried it all, had to cut back to chin twice because of all the experimenting with color (henna, bleach, regular dye). Those days are well *gone*. I like it long these past years. Hasn't changed so far. As long as I can wear my buns, I'm fine.

Hairkay
September 28th, 2016, 03:58 PM
I think Diva cuts look nice but there's one drawback, it might mess up how I plait/braid for a little while after such a cut. I mostly wear plaits/braids so that cut is not very useful to me. I do take a note of all the variety of plaits/braids that I may try out.

Kajzh
September 28th, 2016, 05:35 PM
If you'r looking for an edgy style, there are always braiding options for an edgier look. TorrinPaige has a few videos like that.

True! You can even braid in synthetic locks to make your hair look like mine! ;)

I am not super attached to my long hair, because in my culture most women wear fake hair anyway. So one of these days I'm going to shave my head, bleach my hair white, then get white box braids. I can keep my shorn real hair in a box and reattach it when I feel like it!

krissykins
September 28th, 2016, 05:41 PM
But I'm definitely less inclined to be impulsive with my hair now that it's long. I have a 5 year investment in it, my ends are probably 6 to 7 years old even. That's a looooong time to chop off :D

This is so me. I want to bleach my hair and color it purple, but I also don't want to deal with growing out all of that damage.

Kajzh
September 28th, 2016, 05:49 PM
This is so me. I want to bleach my hair and color it purple, but I also don't want to deal with growing out all of that damage.
Maybe clip-in extensions on the underside?

Väsen
September 28th, 2016, 05:52 PM
I feel like ultra -long hair in itself is pretty edgy, at least where I'm from.�� I spice up my look by playing with colors and contrast. I'm anemic and therefore extremely pale-skinned, so I combined that with a very vibrant orangeish red and often some flooding and teasing. I'm often told I look like some escaped forest creature.�� I get a lot of stares too, but I'm not sure if they are because I look cool or ridiculous.

missmelaniem
September 28th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Personally I'm done with edgy. I went through beauty school back in the day (80s) so I'm all edged out.

I will, though, keep long layers