PDA

View Full Version : Benefit of blunt ends vs layered?

matentur
September 27th, 2016, 03:13 PM
It seems like most of the people on here prefer blunt type ends to layered ones. I haven't really been able to figure out why. I have just been growing straight out from a buzz cut without trims so I have some serious layers going right now but am planning to get a trim in the nearish future and was trying to decide if I just want them to cut it all a bit to clean the ends or maybe start evening it out a bit. Just curious if it is a style thing or if there are practical benefits too? Any tips or deciding which route to go?

Stub
September 27th, 2016, 03:23 PM
I grew my hair out from a buzz for I think almost 4 years without cutting or trimming. A few months ago I trimmed about 3 inches off the bottom to get a more blunt hemline, but that was so my braid tassels would not be quite SO dramatic in their thinning at the end. Plus I like more sleek braids and fewer layers mean fewer bits sticking out the length of my braids. That's the only reason I finally cut mine. :)

DweamGoiL
September 27th, 2016, 03:27 PM
Having had both, I feel it's strictly preference. For some hair types, a thicker and more straight hemline is desirable. This allows for thicker and neater braids and bulkier buns. For other hair types, taking some bulk and weight away from the hair is better. In some cases, like those with curly hair, a blunt hemline causes the dreaded triangle head look.

For me, I like my layers because when I do grow blunt, my hair becomes like a cape. It's heavy and has no movement. On the upside, updos and braids are easier because you don't have many different lengths to deal with. No intrusive bits sticking out of weird places. Layers create movement and make the hair more floaty, but unless there is an abundance of hair, the hair may look thin and limp. I don't think either one is better for the actual condition of the hair. Bad haircuts or dull scissors are conducive to split ends not whether the hemline is straight or layered.

Nique1202
September 27th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Main reasons against layers:

-Poke out of braids and buns in ways that many of us don't like the look of
-Can make the hair look shorter because the ends are so thin, it's like an optical illusion where we tend to ignore the tapered part to some degree

Main reasons for layers:

-Reduce the weight of hair, making it feel lighter and move more easily when loose
-For folks on the thicker end, can make hair easier to style
-Can enhance wave and curl appearance for some hair types

All of this is other than those folks who just say "I like the look of this better so I want it" which is totally valid as an explanation for either side. It's entirely up to you whether you like layered or blunt ends more, and don't let anyone bully you into making a decision you don't like. :blossom:

Lavendersugar
September 27th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Layers typically call for styling attention. Especially with straight hair. Not sure of your hair texture.
I have straight and prefer blunt. Plus I air dry 3/4 of the year and for me layers will not work for air drying. I don't have super thick hair so layers make it look thin when it's past my bra band.
There's also the issue of braiding with layers.

I grew out then cut all my layers off except the face ones before I started officially growing. I didn't want to get so far and have have to chop off lots of length. I know my hair & laziness of styling. So I went with my best option for me. Not a day goes by that I don't love having it all mostly one length. Now I do have those bits in the front from the face layers but they pretty much blend in now and I didn't have it heavily done. I do have very long bangs (about collarbone) and I'll let them grow to about mid chest and keep them in that area.

truepeacenik
September 27th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Blunt is easier to cut myself.

HairPlease
September 27th, 2016, 03:34 PM
IMHO, layers are good for bringing out certain kinds of wave/curl textures, and a layered hemline can look very graceful and majestic, whereas a blunt hemline can look almost unnatural and harsh on the wrong hair type. I personally prefer a blunt hemline on my hair, though, because I'm semi-wavy-wurly and I don't want my hair to start fluffing up in layers and curling out at odd bits and angles. It doesn't look good on me.

It's almost entirely preference. I don't mind layers, and I don't mind blunt - blunt just looks better on ME in my opinion.

animetor7
September 27th, 2016, 03:38 PM
I have a blunt hemline because I prefer to microtrim my own hair rather than going to a hair dresser and have them take way too much off and then blow dry it. I do like the look of layers though, so when my hair gets longer I might let it fairytale and just s&d. We'll see. It was a decision of practicality for me more than anything else. :shrug:

matentur
September 27th, 2016, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies and I think I have a better I idea of it now. Not going to rush into any decisions. Part of me thinks I'd like to try a blunter look with more even hemline, but I think the biggest thing holding me back is the length I would lose.

lapushka
September 27th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Honestly, I'd just keep growing. I have layered my hair since waist length, the blunt ends were just too much for me. I have classic length hair now (use the compact cut method for layering) which is layered.

Deborah
September 27th, 2016, 04:14 PM
My hair is straight, and I think it looks better cut bluntly. Also it is something I can cut myself or have a friend cut for me quite easily. I also like the look of blunt ends better on anyone's hair. Some of it is just preference; some of it is hair type I suppose.

missrandie
September 27th, 2016, 05:25 PM
I prefer the softer look layers on myself, but that's mostly because they look closer to fairy-tale ends. Blunt ends look and feel harsh on me

Arete
September 27th, 2016, 05:36 PM
By layers do you mean cut layers, or just letting the hair grow naturally into fairtale ends? Because fairytaling is another equally valid option along with blunt or cut layers.

Robot Ninja
September 27th, 2016, 05:48 PM
Honestly, I'd just keep growing. I have layered my hair since waist length, the blunt ends were just too much for me. I have classic length hair now (use the compact cut method for layering) which is layered.

I use the compact cut method too, which is very easy to do myself so I can still self-trim. I prefer the look of layers, especially on my wavyish hair. I just personally do not like the look of blunt hemlines on most hair types....but that's my personal aesthetic preference and other people aren't here to decorate my world.

They both have their benefits and drawbacks, so go with what you prefer, not what you think others prefer. As you can see, we all like different things.

Crystawni
September 27th, 2016, 06:22 PM
For me, layers help me play with a natural ombre effect by revealing my mostly-white underside colour. It's a tricky balance, though, as too much layering makes my ends look thin and see-through as too much white dominates. Loads of layers also kill off my finey curls, so that's a balance thing, too. Buuuuut, if I leave my hem blunt, I get the blanket effect with my buttload of hair. Depending on the weather, it just hangs in awkward flippy waves or splits into thin ropes that look ratty.

So yeah, colour is my main reason for having layers on the last few inches of hair. It also works well for my braids as the layers only really come into play in the tassel, and updos have a good wrap-and-tuck-zone of thinner hair to lock things in. As long as the layered ends are maintained, I'm good to go.

ETA: Here's an example of the colour-play I get from layers. :)

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21428&d=1454839924

AZDesertRose
September 27th, 2016, 06:25 PM
I wear my hair up pretty much all the time, so I prefer a blunt hemline, because there are fewer bits sticking out of braids and up-dos. It's also easier for me to trim myself. (I cut a U-hemline with Feye's instructions.)

It really is down to personal preference. It's your hair, so do with it what pleases you. As Robot Ninja said, none of us are here to decorate anyone else's world!

Or, in a phrasing I saw somewhere else, some people are going to criticize you no matter what you do, so you may as well suit yourself. :D

matentur
September 27th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Thanks, I'll definitely just go with what I like, just got to figure that out. Though for now I'll probably just keep the layers since I don't want to lose the length. Maybe I'll give the other a try when it's longer or if I start wearing buns more frequently than I currently do.

Goatcraft
September 27th, 2016, 07:37 PM
No real benefits to either. I had a blunt cut several years ago, but it just kept growing out. I just let it do it's own thing now. I prefer the look of a blunt cut though. I think the hair looks thicker and healthier, but it's not for all of us. My hair will not do it. I've never had layers either. Just won't grow or stay that way for very long.

jlau1827
September 28th, 2016, 10:08 PM
I used to always sport a layered look because it gave my hair a more of a effortless messy look. However, every time I went to put my hair up, the layers would always fall out of place. I don't like using sprays to keep my hair in place, so I just had to deal with layers sticking out awkwardly.

After getting a big chop, I am going to try a blunt cut because it gives off the feel of having full, voluminous hair, which I love to see on others. Not sure how long I will stick with it, since my hair is really thick in general.

akuamoonmaui
October 10th, 2016, 06:20 PM
I've had layers most of my life, but then grew them out with a blunt cut for about 5 years. Just this year, I added very light layers again and like it a lot. The layers are subtle enough I can have nice braids, but also give my hair some more movement. I think I've found the right balance for my hair.

spidermom
October 10th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Both are nice. I've had layers for a few years now; my new cut is without layers except for face framing. I'm going to take it 4 inches shorter soon and really blunt it up. That will be a nice change.

Flipgirl24
October 10th, 2016, 09:31 PM
I prefer long layers. I have straight hair but the layers give my hair movement. And I can give it more body if I decide to style it. This isn't often but I prefer layers than blunt ends. Movement, shape and personal preference would be the benefits of layers over blunt ends in my opinion. But blunt ends do make buns and some updos easier and there is less hair poking out

kidari
October 10th, 2016, 10:12 PM
I like layers as well. It's personal preference. Layers give my hair more volume. It also feels lighter, is easier to wash, is faster to dry, and the taper the layers create help me to put it in a neat bun even when it's a bit shorter. Mostly I prefer layers because I like to wear my hair down half the time now and layers allow it to hold heat free curls much better. There is beautiful shape and movement with layers... although I think blunt ends are nice because it makes the hair look really thick and healthy and I feel like thicker hemlines help the hair resist breakage than tapered V hemlines. Also, if you are into braids I think layers is not the way to go.

Ophidian
October 15th, 2016, 12:41 PM
For me, layers help me play with a natural ombre effect by revealing my mostly-white underside colour. It's a tricky balance, though, as too much layering makes my ends look thin and see-through as too much white dominates. Loads of layers also kill off my finey curls, so that's a balance thing, too. Buuuuut, if I leave my hem blunt, I get the blanket effect with my buttload of hair. Depending on the weather, it just hangs in awkward flippy waves or splits into thin ropes that look ratty.

So yeah, colour is my main reason for having layers on the last few inches of hair. It also works well for my braids as the layers only really come into play in the tassel, and updos have a good wrap-and-tuck-zone of thinner hair to lock things in. As long as the layered ends are maintained, I'm good to go.

ETA: Here's an example of the colour-play I get from layers. :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21428&d=1454839924

That is SO COOL!!