PDA

View Full Version : i have a question...

backtolonghair
October 20th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I"m looking on here and have seen quite a few of you, go from a pixie hair cut or shorter hair to waist and longer...

My question is how long did it take for your hair to grow out to this length? And what kind of products did you use in the process?
Thanks so much! :)

lora410
October 20th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I went from shoulder to where I am now in 1.5 years. I use homemade scalp oil for scalp massage (recipe in blog), light oiling on damp hair,henna, and cwc condition wash condition.

peachy.pudding
October 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I grew out a bob to almost bsl in two years

chrissy-b
October 20th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I'm nowhere near long at the moment, but I grew from chin to just shy of APL in 10 months. I should reach APL by the end of this year.

Also, there is a similar thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11872&highlight=long), if you're interested.

Nic's
October 20th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I'm very keen to find this out myself, as I too have a long way to go to get to BSL

jel
October 20th, 2008, 11:24 AM
My hair grew from shoulder length to below waist in three years. It doesn't grow very quickly so I kept all of the growth (see the No-Trim Club link in my siggy).

As to products, I use henna (this is for both colour and strengthening; if I didn't want colour I would probably use cassia for strengthening only), and CWC with diluted shampoo. I sometimes add honey to my conditioner and I regularly oil the ends of my hair.

Islandgrrl
October 20th, 2008, 11:36 AM
It took me 3 1/2 years to go from pixie to BSL, included in this were regular trims for the first year so I didn't end up with the Mullet of Doom, and probably quarterly trims until last September. I had a small trim (1") this July and I'm probably good until May or so, at which time I'll go back to the annual trim plan I used to stick with when my hair was super long. My ultimate goal is to find my terminal length. But I'd be happy to get back to knee with a blunt hemline. I figure that will take another 5-ish years or so.

As far as products...I don't really use anything all that special, I don't think. What I don't use is probably more significant: no cones, no harsh SLS shampoos. I shampoo once a week or so with Sweet Sisters Monoi de Tahiti Coconut Oil Shampoo (made locally), condition with the companion conditioner and use a little as a leave it. Once in a while I use straight coconut oil on my hair, liberally, as an overnight treatment (sometimes 2 days if I'm busy). I SMT once a month or so. In between shampoos I WO or CO, depending on how I feel about things, but more often than not, it's just WO these days.

I think the most significant thing I do to keep my hair in good shape is to wear it up every day. EVERY DAY (of course I'm doing a Hair Up For a Year Challenge (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=102), so .... ).

Melisande
October 20th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I went from shoulder to trans-waist ;-) in two-and-half years. Three tiny trims included...

plainjanegirl
October 20th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I went from a bit above shoulders ( my ponytail I managed looked like a little stub) to where I am now in 4 years.

And I haven't really used any special products. I just use whatever shampoo or conditioner is on sale at a local walmart or new and catches my eye.

robinjoy68
October 20th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I think how fast your growth depends on a lot of factors. Like genes, diet, styling and such. At the moment my hair seems to be growing about an inch a mo. but it does grow faster than that when my diet is healthy. Such as plenty of water, fresh raw fruits and veggies along with protien, good fats and good carbs. A few mo. ago I cut it into a pixie style, bleached it twice and then covered that with a brown store bought color. My poor hair is wondering what it ever done to me to deserve such treatment! :) So I have a looooong way to go yet myself. I'm still very new to this site and do not yet have very many abilities but please feel free to holler at me anytime you like. :) Take care, J

jojo
October 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM
From pixie to just BSl in just short of 3 years, with regular trims. I use coconut oil or which ever oil is my oil of the moment!

robinjoy68
October 20th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Hi. I think you are the first person to send me a reply. :) Thanks. You have had a lot of growth in just 3 yrs. I certainly hope I am as fortunate. You have a great color and shine also.
Take care,
J

lizzyjo
October 20th, 2008, 03:10 PM
It took me around four years to go from two inches to thirty. As for products, I only sometimes use a hair cream on the ends when I wear it down.

goatgal
October 20th, 2008, 04:34 PM
It took me 4 1/2 years to go from VERY short pixie to waist length, no major trims. My hair grows moderately fast. I used Fructise Length and Strength for most of that time, with occasional Shimmer Lights shampoos because I have silver hair that tends to get yellow.

VanillaTresses
October 20th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I grew out from 0" (no hair) to what I have now (beginning BSL) in approximately 30 months. I have been using a mix of conventional shampoos and conditioners and shampoo bars. The best "ingredient" is patience... enjoy what you have when you have it lengthwise! :) (Even though sometimes it is hard!)

MandaMom2Three
October 20th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Well I lost ALL my hair in a freak colouring accident (reaction) about 7 years ago, I cut it couple times over the years and finally started to grow it out about 6 years ago when it was about chin length. It took about 4 years to get to my waist. Then came the infamous salon incident several months ago when I can cut back to shoulder length :( . I think that was in the spring, it's fall now and it's just past BSL now. I've used different things over the years, I'm just now trying to figure out what my hair would like.