PDA

View Full Version : My grey hair has a different texture to my dark hair!

Derv999
September 25th, 2016, 06:15 AM
Hi, this is a second post from me today. The other one is entirely concerned with colour but this is a different question. I am 52 years old and my natural hair colour, before any grey started to appear, was very dark brown and it was naturally very straight - not a kink in it at all. I still have a good bit of my natural colour, probably about 35% grey and this grey started to appear about 10 years ago or so. What I have noticed in recent years is that the texture of my hair overall seems to have changed and now there is a natural wave when wet that just becomes frizzy when blow dried, particularly near the ends where my hair is also over-coloured. I never use hot irons on my hair. I just hate them but do not mean any offence to those of you who use them. It is just that at my age I don't want to do any unnecessary damage. My grey hair is also a little stronger than the dark hair so it seems to dominate and I actually quite like the little bit of wavyness but hate the frizz. Is there anything I can do without spending a fortune to help balance the texture of my hair and reduce the frizz at the ends?

lapushka
September 25th, 2016, 06:49 AM
Maybe it's just a matter of coming to terms with the new texture. If you don't want to use heat, I'm afraid that's about the only way to go. Take a look at the curly girl method by Lorraine Massey (it's a book). Plenty of online info to be found as well. :)

turtlelover
September 25th, 2016, 08:17 AM
Henna made a night and day difference in the frizz level of my hair, but you have to like warm colors to pull it off! It is like the best thing by far that I've done for my hair texture wise.

Derv999
September 25th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Well, your hair looks fabulous so that is a recommendation in itself. I think when I finally get the colour thing sorted out it will be mostly a sort of purple colour - pretty much like it is on my avatar, but with coloured flashes going through it so I don't think I will be able to introduce henna unfortunately. Thanks so much though for responding and I am so envious of your hair :-)

Derv999
September 25th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Thank you lapushka. I will check out that book :-)

spidermom
September 25th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Aloe vera gel (NOT the green kind for sunburn relief) or styling gel helps to reduce frizz until the wind hits it.

Derv999
September 25th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Thank you...I'll give it a whirl! Your hair is lovely!

Kajzh
September 25th, 2016, 10:52 AM
It's normal for grays to be a different texture than the rest of hair. The problem with frizz is that it's caused by curl patterns on individual hair strands — when they don't lay side-by-side, your hair looks frizzy. When folks have multiple curl patterns on their head, it can be difficult to manage frizz, because one pattern always wants to disrupt the side-by-sidedness of the other pattern.

One option is to make your own artificial pattern with a braidout. After your wash routine, dilute aloe vera in distilled water and dump it down your hair. Detangle and braid all the way down, then keep the braid in until your hair is 100% dry. Then unbraid to reveal your waves.

The aloe is a humectant and will hydrate your hair a little bit, but not enough to usually cause frizz. More importantly, the aloe works as a mild setting gel. That way it'll help keep your waves sitting in a uniform fashion for a bit longer without feeling too crunchy.

akuamoonmaui
October 10th, 2016, 06:39 PM
I've had the same thing happen. My "sparkles" would stick up and be unruly! I thought, my gosh! If this keeps up, I'm going to scare small children when I'm completely gray! I'm going to be that old, long haired wild woman!

I keep it under control with henna and length. :)

Starchild494
June 3rd, 2018, 05:57 PM
Does henna not color the grey? I have the same problem but do not wish to color at all. I love my silver.... Hate the way they stand up to get noticed lol. What about frizz serums?

Lumienkeli
June 4th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Does henna not color the grey? I have the same problem but do not wish to color at all. I love my silver.... Hate the way they stand up to get noticed lol. What about frizz serums?

Henna does color grey hair! One application turns grey hair carrot orange. If you want to keep your silvers, never use henna on your hair, ever. Neither a gloss. I am growing out henna + indigo, you can check my albums how does henna looks on grey hair.

lapushka
June 4th, 2018, 02:42 PM

Yes it does, but it colors it lighter than a normal strand of hair, so it will be bright bright orange. I would not put indigo on silver hair, without henna (green).

Starchild494
June 7th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Ok that's what I thought! I just wanted to make sure. I do not want to color my silvers. Still am not sure which product to purchase to take my sometimes unruly silvers the float around my head even when I am doing updos?

lapushka
June 7th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Make an updo then take a toothbrush (one especially reserved for this), either spray some hairspray on it, or put a little gel on it, and go over the "unruly" bits; tames them down pretty fast!

Starchild494
June 7th, 2018, 08:02 PM
Could I use oils instead of hair spray and gel? I have none and probably won't buy them.... Its been 10 yrs of not using them. For me I don't like the feel of that kind of product in my hair. No clue as to why... Kind of gives me the willies and makes my head itch (which is probably all in my head)

enting
June 12th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Oil may work, it's certainly worth a try. If one doesn't work right, another type of oil may give you what you're looking for. It can weigh down and soften the hairs. I think the toothbrush method is still a good idea, even if applying oil. Sprays and gels can sometimes be drying, that could be what made you itch, or you could have been sensitive to one of the ingredients. Giving you the willies is probably more of a tactile or psychological thing :) but if those things aren't workable for you, then no need to force yourself.