PDA

View Full Version : 1 YEAR since my last haircut [Pictures!] and a kitty

Capybara
September 24th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Hey all,

It's been one year since scissors last touched my locks.

On or about September 24, 2015 (according to the timestamp on the pictures from my phone), I decided to cut my hair short. I wanted to make it easier to grow out my bangs, and had been really digging Taylor Swift's hair. So, I did it! It was all one length and only brushed my shoulders if I tilted my head. Here I am with my bangs pulled back:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23229&d=1464655774

I love the short hair. It complimented my face, was super easy to make big and voluminous, and fun for me. I haven't really had "short" hair since I can remember. However, I am a very low maintenance gal when it comes to my hair. I did not get the haircut with the intention of maintaining it, but mainly for trying it out and making it easier to grow out my bangs without having them awkwardly being much shorter than the rest of my hair. If I'd wanted to keep my hair at that length, I would have had to get it trimmed much more often than I'm willing to do!

Added to it that I adopted a special needs kitty early this year, and, well, if I have to choose between and trim and kitty snuggles, I'd choose the fur baby every time!

The months went by, and somehow I find myself back between APL and BSL. I love being able to make ponytails and buns now!

I've been wearing my hair a lot like this recently (Dutch braid). This picture, taken today, shows how the ends have tapered out:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24717&d=1474726210

I don't mind the taper. It's something pretty new to me, and I have always loved the look of fairy tale ends. They feel healthy and make buns so much easier than the blunt ends I usually maintain.

Here is my English braid! I used to wear my hair like this all the time, but I can't even remember the last time I wore it. I feel like it looks too stubby and needs a bit more length on me, but it's fun to see how my bumps are progressing:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24716&d=1474726208

And here's a French braid from this summer:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24714&d=1474726202

On to length photos. Here is May of this year, I believe:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23230&d=1464655776

The picture above made me really dislike the state of my hair. I hadn't been using conditioner or oils with my short hair, but as it gained more length, I could tell I needed it. This is a week or two later, after conditioning at each wash and oiling with olive oil:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24712&d=1474726065

I then discovered my favourite oil so far: castor oil. I do the following weekly:
- Part hair in several places, rubbing castor oil into the parts until the scalp is saturated to my liking
- Bun at the top of my head
- Wrap in an old t-shirt and take a much-needed 8 hours of glorious beauty rest
- In the morning, add conditioner to the scalp and lengths, and olive oil over the conditioner on the lengths.
- Re-wrap and wear for an hour
- Expect funny remarks from DH
- Expect the cat to also make a snide meow or two
- Shower, shampoo, and rinse rinse rinse
- Realize you've spent several hours doing nothing but pamper yourself and feel a tinge of guilt
- Realize this is all the cat ever does and feel better :)

I really like this method because it makes the conditioner fragrance last a long time in my hair, it makes my hair so divinely soft, and it is super relaxing. I only do it on weekends, when I know I won't be going out until later, because I do recognize that many people are sensitive to fragrance!

Here is my most recent length photo, taken today, 3 days since my last wash (I am washing this evening) and with bun/braid/ponytail waves:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24715&d=1474726205

And the star of the show, member of the Long Whisker Community, Princess Winifred Sassafras Capybara:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24713&d=1474726199

It's been interesting seeing my hair evolve from a blunt hemline to a much more "organic" look over the past year. I can't find a single split hair, but I plan to trim as soon as I do. Happy growing everyone, and thanks for reading :flowers:

lapushka
September 24th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Pretty kitty! :D :inlove:

Your hair grew an amazing amount! Congrats. :D

spidermom
September 24th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Wow - what a difference after the olive oil treatment. Your hair looks good.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
September 24th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Congratulations your hair looks lovely and thick. Thank you for sharing your hair and kitty photos

Capybara
September 24th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Pretty kitty! :D :inlove:

Your hair grew an amazing amount! Congrats. :D

She's the best!! <3 Thanks lapushka. The year went by so fast!

Wow - what a difference after the olive oil treatment. Your hair looks good.

Thanks, spidermom! It definitely needed it. LHC has taught me well!

Congratulations your hair looks lovely and thick. Thank you for sharing your hair and kitty photos

Thanks Kat-Rinnč Naido!

lora410
September 24th, 2016, 10:30 AM
you grew a lot in one year. my siggy pict is one year from shoulder. id loooove your hair growth :)

lithostoic
September 24th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Nice!

Capybara
September 24th, 2016, 10:34 AM
you grew a lot in one year. my siggy pict is one year from shoulder. id loooove your hair growth :)

Aw thanks :flower: Your hair looks so shiny and healthy. The growth is just from not trimming/cutting at all - If I was maintaining a blunt hemline I doubt I'd even be APL by now.

Capybara
September 24th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Nice!

Hehe thanks lithostoic! We've not interacted much here but I've thought your hair looks similar to mine in texture/colour/length, yours is ashier (lucky!) and longer (more lucky :D ) though!

hypersensitive
September 24th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Congrats! Keep it up! I think your hair will look even more fantastic when you reach your length goal!

Capybara
September 24th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Congrats! Keep it up! I think your hair will look even more fantastic when you reach your length goal!

Thanks hypersensitive, that's so encouraging. It can only go up from here :) Your hair looks aaa-mazing in your siggy/profile photo!

LongCurlyTress
September 24th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Your hair growing progress is outstanding! How lucky you are that your hair grows so quickly! It looks beautiful! And your kitty's eyes are gorgeous blue! :popcorn:

lora410
September 24th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Thank you. i give kudos to the henna and prob camera flash hahaha. i haven't trimmed either... lol.. you'll be waist in no time!!!!

littlestarface
September 24th, 2016, 12:36 PM
And the star of the show, member of the Long Whisker Community, Princess Winifred Sassafras Capybara:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24713&d=1474726199

It's been interesting seeing my hair evolve from a blunt hemline to a much more "organic" look over the past year. I can't find a single split hair, but I plan to trim as soon as I do. Happy growing everyone, and thanks for reading :flowers:

Awwww what a pretty kitty! I want to snuggle her

Lanalavallama
September 24th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Your hair looks beautiful and your growth is phenomenal. Buuuut.... Kitty. Wow. The cuteness is unreal. :o

Your post was also very entertaining; you have a great sense of humour.

Alissalocks
September 24th, 2016, 03:17 PM
I then discovered my favourite oil so far: castor oil. I do the following weekly:
- Part hair in several places, rubbing castor oil into the parts until the scalp is saturated to my liking
- Bun at the top of my head
- Wrap in an old t-shirt and take a much-needed 8 hours of glorious beauty rest
- In the morning, add conditioner to the scalp and lengths, and olive oil over the conditioner on the lengths.
- Re-wrap and wear for an hour
- Expect funny remarks from DH
- Expect the cat to also make a snide meow or two
- Shower, shampoo, and rinse rinse rinse
- Realize you've spent several hours doing nothing but pamper yourself and feel a tinge of guilt
- Realize this is all the cat ever does and feel better

:flowers:
I love your sense of humor! I cut my hair way back too, much like your journey, but only discovered LHC so I'm late to the game there. Your hair looks so great with the castor oil, I'm going to have to experiment with it myself. And your kitty girl is so very pretty, and a member of the Long Whisker Community! She must be in great company there :kitten:

animetor7
September 24th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Congratulations on 1 year here!! Your hair looks great!! I also love your cat's name!! That's so cute!! She's also a gorgeous kitty! :)

Sarahlabyrinth
September 24th, 2016, 03:25 PM
Such gorgeous hair and Princess is soooo cute! Happy hairiversary:D

ephemeri
September 24th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Wonderful progress! Your hair looks so healthy.
And I looooooooove the kitty! So cute!!

raemarthe
September 25th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Your hair is so thick and healthy! So much growth too, wow :) also your cat is adorable!

mizukitty
September 25th, 2016, 03:31 PM
OMG, your hair is so gorgeous and thick. And the color is beautiful. Also, that might be the prettiest kitty I've ever seen. <3

DarkChocolate
September 26th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Amazing progress:) The braid pictures show your thickness:) What is your ponytail circumference?