PDA

View Full Version : Shedding & Products

Forever_Sophie
October 20th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Since there seems to be a number of us shedding right now, I'm wondering (since someone mentioned shampoo bars in that thread), if anyone else finds the major fall out to happen with conditioner.

I lose a...maybe "normal" amount with shampoo but when rinsing out conditioner, it's 4x that amount. Not sure what I can do about that since my hair needs conditioner, but yeah, just an observation.

spidermom
October 20th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Do you use conditioner on the scalp? If so, try keeping it away from the scalp. Otherwise it could be that the normally shed hairs cling to your other hairs until you use conditioner and make everything slippy-slidey enough for them to glide free.

chrissy-b
October 20th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I have to agree with spidermom here. For me it seems like when my hair is all lubed up with conditioner all the shed hairs can then come out of the mess that is my hair right after I wash it. My hair tangles easily, and it's only after I put any conditioner in that I can finger comb and remove the shed hairs.

plainjanegirl
October 20th, 2008, 10:35 AM
How often do you wash?
I have noticed the past week and a half since I have stretched my washes out more that I have had more shedding.
Maybe that has something to do with it??? Just an idea.

Forever_Sophie
October 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM
it could be that the normally shed hairs cling to your other hairs until you use conditioner and make everything slippy-slidey enough for them to glide free.

This is probably it, thanks for the insight :)

PlainJaneGirl, I wash every other day, I totally agree w/ what you said. For me, if I wait 1 extra day, the shedding is drastically more!

crazy me
October 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I have quit using shampoo and conditioner on my hair for two and a half weeks now and I've noticed it getting more healthy looking and my shedding has decreased. I don't know if that helps, but maybe someone else out there might know why that is. Maybe I'm just weird. :)

Forever_Sophie
October 20th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I have quit using shampoo and conditioner on my hair for two and a half weeks now and I've noticed it getting more healthy looking and my shedding has decreased. I don't know if that helps, but maybe someone else out there might know why that is. Maybe I'm just weird. :)

Cool, are you doing water only? I can see how that would lessen the shedding...I, personally, can't go w/ that routine but hey, if it works for you, don't question it!

MandaMom2Three
October 20th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I can't go water only either, my hair would tangle to DEATH!! I have to use conditioner or same thing. I usually shed bad after having a baby, but my youngest is 2 and it hasn't stopped :( . I've only just now started to play around with trying different things and learning what my hair likes and doesn't like, I'll have to remember to see if not putting conditioner on the scalp helps!

Anje
October 20th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I keep wavering between CO and WO, because I get considerably less shedding with WO, but my hair dries out that way, even with oils. I'm attempting catnip rinses with WO to see if that can make the difference, but I'm not certain I get the moisture my length needs that way.

Elenna
October 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I noticed that my scalp feels painful.

I trying to figure out which products would be helpful:

Essential Oils
Oils
Monistrat
WO
CWC
Vitamins

Which would cause a problem:

Allergies
Reactions to chemicals
Hair products
Physical problems

ChloeDharma
October 20th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I notice that if i regularly CO wash my shedding increases, but if i only use herbs and oils then it goes down to very little. I used to think maybe conditioner adding slip made it so that you just noticed more of the loose hairs being able to come out, but oiling does the same thing (i'm talking load it up so that my hair looks wet with it type oiling) initially then it calms down again so i'm not so sure now.
Like spidermom suggested, if you want to use conditioner but it causes shedding then just try to keep it away from the scalp.