PDA

View Full Version : Hair color that will wash out?

animetor7
September 23rd, 2016, 06:07 PM
Hi everyone!! I'm thinking of dyeing my ends a really bright red color. I don't want to bleach, but have naturally auburn hair that takes reds very easily. I know that it might not be as bright without bleach, but I don't want to bleach it because of the damage and because of the permanent commitment to the red. I've read some threads on vegetable dye, specifically manic panic and punky colors, but I'm wondering what would work best for a color as bright as possible on unbleached hair. My avatar picture is what I'm going for, it's what I did last fall but I used bleach and permanent color. Any thoughts are appreciated, especially from colorful long hairs!! Thanks guys!! :)

spidermom
September 23rd, 2016, 06:17 PM
Punky by Jerome Russell lasted longer for me than Manic Panic does. There are a lot of colors to choose from.

pastina
September 23rd, 2016, 06:19 PM
Special FX have the best reds in my experience... but they also have some serious staying power.

MidnightMoon
September 24th, 2016, 05:31 AM
Vampired Red -Manic Panic is nice IMO. It did look very bright even on unbleached hair and in the sun it just glows. It also washes out but of course it depends on your hair. If its porous or not, quality of your ends, starting colour, how you wash, etc. I would recommend Pravana too but Ive only used their blue. It really is pigmented and the healthier the hair the faster it washed out.

animetor7
September 24th, 2016, 05:54 AM
It sounds like manic panic will have the least staying power, so that seems like a good place to start. Especially because I only wash my hair once a week. If I decide I want more staying power I'll come back to the other suggestions. :) Thank you for your suggestion of the Vampire red MidnightMoon, but I looked it up and think it's a bit dark for what I'm going for. So now, how should I apply it? I know a paintbrush went well for the look I'm going for the last time I did it, but how long do I leave it on, and is it best to apply it to freshly washed hair, or is end of the week, oiled hair alright? Thanks for all the help guys!!! :flower:

MidnightMoon
September 24th, 2016, 06:07 AM
Definitely freshly washed after using a "harsh" shampoo. I have both applied on wet/humid hair as well as dry. Apparently it makes no difference in my case but each had its advantages. Applying on wet hair made me use less dye and it was easier not to miss spots as it sort of dripped all over lol. Applying over dry hair was less messy. There wasnt any dye all over the place and it was easier to apply to more specific areas... in any case... it didnt really affect the putcome or staying power. It does take longer to apply to dry hair since you either have to use a hair dryer or wait hours until it does.

MidnightMoon
September 24th, 2016, 06:15 AM
And by harsh I mean something like head n shoulders or the like. Not your regular hair friendly shampoo. Make sure you wash all your hair (not only scalp) and dont use any conditioner or oil after. The idea is that your hair is ready to absorb the dye. Leave it on for at least one and a half hours. You may want to use a cap or just claw clips so it doesnt stain your neck and dryes up a bit. Some people apply some heat too for a couple of minutes. Once its done you should get in the shower and rinse for ages until you make sure its removed from any body parts it may have stained. If youre not doing scalp this should be quick and easy. After, I like to use a conditioner. Pantene for me is fine as I have fine hair prone to tangles which likes cones. People also say oil helps remove dyes so maaaybe you shouldnt use oil but I do anyway... my hair needs it and thats more important to me than any possible side effect that might mean colour fading a tiny bit faster... which I dont even know if its true or not...

animetor7
September 24th, 2016, 06:15 AM
Definitely freshly washed after using a "harsh" shampoo. I have both applied on wet/humid hair as well as dry. Apparently it makes no difference in my case but each had its advantages. Applying on wet hair made me use less dye and it was easier not to miss spots as it sort of dripped all over lol. Applying over dry hair was less messy. There wasnt any dye all over the place and it was easier to apply to more specific areas... in any case... it didnt really affect the putcome or staying power. It does take longer to apply to dry hair since you either have to use a hair dryer or wait hours until it does.

Is manic panic conditioning at all? Sorry I'm a noob at vegetable dyeing. I normally apply a heavy coney conditioner after clarifying, would I have to use a cone free one? I need to use something because otherwise detangling is a nightmare!!!

MidnightMoon
September 24th, 2016, 06:26 AM
Yeah, it leaves your hair glossy and while applying youll feel like youre applying a conditioner, dont worry. In my case... the worse part was the combing as I wanted to make sure all my hair is covered in the dye and I never comb wet or humid hair (not even sure if thats the term lol). My hair is so fine it tangles and kinda hairs stick to each other, like spider webs. That meant that no matter how gentle I was, it wasnt exactly 100% damage free thing to do. The dye itself really feels like conditioner though, and theres no harm in using a conditioner after rinsing the dye out anyway.

animetor7
September 24th, 2016, 06:46 AM
Yeah, it leaves your hair glossy and while applying youll feel like youre applying a conditioner, dont worry. In my case... the worse part was the combing as I wanted to make sure all my hair is covered in the dye and I never comb wet or humid hair (not even sure if thats the term lol). My hair is so fine it tangles and kinda hairs stick to each other, like spider webs. That meant that no matter how gentle I was, it wasnt exactly 100% damage free thing to do. The dye itself really feels like conditioner though, and theres no harm in using a conditioner after rinsing the dye out anyway.

Hmm, maybe I just won't detangle before I dye it. I'd like it to sort of fade a bit unevenly towards the bright red anyhow, so it doesn't have to be perfect, just generally concentrated at the ends. Two last questions:

1) How long should I leave it on for before rinsing?

2) Will saponified oil shampoo bars strip the color horribly? I'm hoping not because I really only use the 'poo bars on my scalp and the manic panic will be focused at my ends.

Anje
September 24th, 2016, 07:06 AM
I can't tell very well in the picture (my phone and you're backlit in it). Are you after a bright natural red or an unnatural red? Depending on what you choose, you can get either. My auburn hair is hennaed and quite natural, but I've pushed it to an unnatural and striking red with a slightly pink-based red veggie dye over that. More orange-red dyes look more natural on brownish hair, IMO

MidnightMoon
September 24th, 2016, 07:15 AM
I didnt mean detangling before applying the dye, but in my case it was necessary to comb after I applied it as my hair is wavy and I felt like I was missing pieces. A sort of ombre would be cool but patches would not be. As mentioned, at least 1 and a half hours is good in my opinion. The most Ive left it on would be about 3? Some people go to bed with it but it would be too uncomfortable for me and I dont think it is really necessary. I have no experience with bars, unfortunatelly so I cant help on that :P.

Kajzh
September 24th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Hmm, maybe I just won't detangle before I dye it. I'd like it to sort of fade a bit unevenly towards the bright red anyhow, so it doesn't have to be perfect, just generally concentrated at the ends. Two last questions:

1) How long should I leave it on for before rinsing?

2) Will saponified oil shampoo bars strip the color horribly? I'm hoping not because I really only use the 'poo bars on my scalp and the manic panic will be focused at my ends.

1. I'm not sure, sorry! I've only gone to professionals to have my hair colored, so I'm useless.

2. All saponified oil soaps have pHs between 9-11, which will strip your color far more significantly than using a pH-balanced shampoo. Unlike detergent shampoos, there is no way to lower the pH of soaps after a certain point. Otherwise the acid will make the soap separate.

I'm trying to find a fantastic article I read about the topic, but I can't find it again, ahh! I'll let you know if I come across it again.

animetor7
September 24th, 2016, 01:09 PM
I can't tell very well in the picture (my phone and you're backlit in it). Are you after a bright natural red or an unnatural red? Depending on what you choose, you can get either. My auburn hair is hennaed and quite natural, but I've pushed it to an unnatural and striking red with a slightly pink-based red veggie dye over that. More orange-red dyes look more natural on brownish hair, IMO

I'm hoping for firetruck red at the tips fading into my natural auburn. I'll probably get some orange or something to smooth the transition.

I didnt mean detangling before applying the dye, but in my case it was necessary to comb after I applied it as my hair is wavy and I felt like I was missing pieces. A sort of ombre would be cool but patches would not be. As mentioned, at least 1 and a half hours is good in my opinion. The most Ive left it on would be about 3? Some people go to bed with it but it would be too uncomfortable for me and I dont think it is really necessary. I have no experience with bars, unfortunatelly so I cant help on that :P.

Alright. Sorry I missed that somehow!! 1 1/2 hours to start it is.

1. I'm not sure, sorry! I've only gone to professionals to have my hair colored, so I'm useless.

2. All saponified oil soaps have pHs between 9-11, which will strip your color far more significantly than using a pH-balanced shampoo. Unlike detergent shampoos, there is no way to lower the pH of soaps after a certain point. Otherwise the acid will make the soap separate.

I'm trying to find a fantastic article I read about the topic, but I can't find it again, ahh! I'll let you know if I come across it again.

I'm hoping that the soap will be alright because I only use it on my scalp, the bottom of my hair is either protected with oil or conditioner the whole time I wash it. Maybe I could add some dye into my conditioner to help with the fading.