PDA

View Full Version : The official dreadlocks thread!

lapushka
September 23rd, 2016, 03:41 AM
I thought what better way to start this than with an informative video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAVCrYPjLuU

There wasn't one cohesive official dreadlocks thread yet, so I thought I'd start one.

lithostoic
September 23rd, 2016, 09:21 AM
I used to have dreadlocks before LHC ^-^ Between 2013 and 2015

DarkChocolate
September 23rd, 2016, 09:28 AM
I used to have dreadlocks before LHC ^-^ Between 2013 and 2015

lithostoic, did you brush them out or cut them off?

Do you have pictures?

truepeacenik
September 23rd, 2016, 09:31 AM
I do think the recent thread is a fine reference, so I'm linking it so this becomes the mega lock thread.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139576
We have many other threads on dreadlocks, too, and if folks found one particularly helpful or enlightening, please add it.

Also, if you aren't into dreadlocks, especially if your view is particularly negative, or ethnicity based, realize that posting here isn't all that KNIT in some readers' eyes.

Personally, dreads evoke my young adult years in a good way.
I've seen beautiful dreads on folks of many ethnicities, and with my texture, I appreciate how tough they can be to keep up.
I had a partial set, and man, I wish I wasn't so camera avoidant in those years.
I've joked that should I ever lose my hair from illness, the regrowth would be dreaded. Could my hair be dreaded now? Yeah. I have my job, and I can wear a tam or scrub cap. But I have chosen length now over the texture of dreads.
Plus the adaptation period for my hair was about 30 months. That's a long time to be waiting. Especially given that I've been pursuing knee length for so long, (and I'm so close. Maybe if I hit floor. Losing half the length would still be an impressive length.)

Oh, but the failures I have seen! I felt so bad for theses kids. They were so eager, and took shortcuts that didn't work long term, and eventually many cut off the first set.
No wax! It's evil.

I'd love to understand the appeal of the Beaver Tail single paddle dread.

Hairkay
September 23rd, 2016, 09:39 AM
I thought what better way to start this than with an informative video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAVCrYPjLuU

There wasn't one cohesive official dreadlocks thread yet, so I thought I'd start one.

Thanks Lapushka,

that's a great simple explanation about locs. My sis has them. Mother had hers for 7 years then cut it off last year.

When sis started she used either little braids or two strand twists then let the hair grow out twisting the new growth. It started out looking like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTx4ZgJoyEQ

Here's one person's loc journey starting from twists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMkVTQbJGmo

lithostoic
September 23rd, 2016, 10:46 AM
lithostoic, did you brush them out or cut them off?

Do you have pictures?

I cut off the tips (which blunted themselves naturally) and combed out the rest. I did this strategically over the course of a few months, so I got to play with some cool styles c:

I have pictures, though they looked much better in person. Pics always made them look messier. I'll have to find them, none on this phone.

gthlvrmx
September 23rd, 2016, 06:18 PM
I love locs, I wanted to do it on my hair in my last year of high school out of boredom but I told myself I had 3 choices: 1. Dreadlocks, 2. Individual braids, or 3. Continue with long hair but this time fulfill my childhood dream and grow it out to floor length. I chose option #2 and had a hair disaster afterward but it led me to this website and my hair wisdom has grown ever since :) I also ended up going back to my childhood dream and settling for that, with a little extra goal I learned from LHC called "terminal".

I did actually almost buy dread falls a few years ago. Though that looks like it'll hurt after a few hours.

I wonder if there's anyone on here with dreadlocks at terminal length?

animetor7
September 24th, 2016, 12:19 AM

Dreadlocks at terminal would be crazy long!!! I think if I understand correctly a person with locked hair can grow even longer than a person with loose hair because most if not all of the hair that would normally be shed stays trapped in the dreadlocks allowing length gain and thickness perhaps even after the hairs at the bottom are shed. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just picturing a person with locked hair that looks like rapunzel. :)

calmyogi
September 24th, 2016, 02:01 AM
Dreadlocks at terminal would be crazy long!!! I think if I understand correctly a person with locked hair can grow even longer than a person with loose hair because most if not all of the hair that would normally be shed stays trapped in the dreadlocks allowing length gain and thickness perhaps even after the hairs at the bottom are shed. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just picturing a person with locked hair that looks like rapunzel. :)

I'm no expert, but I have seen quite a few older people, gray hair and all, with dreads and they aren't usually too long. Maybe like knee or classic. I think that they break off after awhile for most people.... But like I said in not an expert on the subject so I might be wrong or, it could have to do with the care.

Hairkay
September 24th, 2016, 05:58 AM

I've seen a few with locs reaching the ground. Sometimes the hair does break off but not strand by strand, a chunk of loc may break off. Mostly they shed hair stays put. The longer the locs the heavier they are so many will cut them.

These people have excessively long locs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjOAv0esEo8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAPM8pzfFh4

Damien Marley pictures, his are near ankle length
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Damien+marley&rlz=1C1CAFA_enGB644GB644&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=662&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj44LPW-KfPAhXFSxoKHfwcBZoQ_AUIBigB

sommer
September 27th, 2016, 05:38 PM
I love locs, I wanted to do it on my hair in my last year of high school out of boredom but I told myself I had 3 choices: 1. Dreadlocks, 2. Individual braids, or 3. Continue with long hair but this time fulfill my childhood dream and grow it out to floor length. I chose option #2 and had a hair disaster afterward but it led me to this website and my hair wisdom has grown ever since :) I also ended up going back to my childhood dream and settling for that, with a little extra goal I learned from LHC called "terminal".

I did actually almost buy dread falls a few years ago. Though that looks like it'll hurt after a few hours.

I have the same dream in fact :D Actually it was one of the reasons why I decided to grow my hair again :rolleyes: As I understood from the articles like this one http://machohairstyles.com/how-to-do-dreads/ making them isn't an easy process... And I'm wondering if it's comfortable to keep the, long on your head? :eek: And also about washing, is it really a problem in case of dreads? :eek:
Anyway I wish I had dreads with the length similiar to this one :o

http://machohairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Waxing-the-Locks.jpg

PixieP
September 27th, 2016, 05:47 PM
Question to our black members here; what do you think of white people with dreads? I've seen a lot of discussion about cultural approriation lately. Personally the only people I know who has dreads are like the hippie/artsy/free-spirit (or crust punk-type people) type of white people who do it as a "cool thing".

Nymphe
September 27th, 2016, 07:59 PM
As for me, right now, I am too old to care...LOL.

When I was younger, I noticed a trend of whites copying some trends I first saw develop in black community. That part never bothered me. What did bother me was not giving credit where credit was due and the copiers not really caring about or truly getting to know us. That would make any group want to insulate themselves a bit and try to keep something unique to their culture away from the main culture.

True that not everyone will know the origins of the new "cool thing" but some things are obvious, thanks to the media, entertainment, and fashion industries. IMO, appropriation is not the problem; appreciation is.

lithostoic
September 28th, 2016, 08:42 AM
I did it to combat my newfound vanity. I was becoming too focused on my appearance, so I gave my hairbrush to my dad and let my hair go wild for two years. It was so freeing! The snide comments and bad experiences helped me develop into who I am today.

Hairkay
September 28th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Question to our black members here; what do you think of white people with dreads? I've seen a lot of discussion about cultural approriation lately. Personally the only people I know who has dreads are like the hippie/artsy/free-spirit (or crust punk-type people) type of white people who do it as a "cool thing".

I'm not bothered since some black people can also choose locs as a cool thing too.

Spinder
September 28th, 2016, 07:33 PM
I haven noticed some people have only a few dreads very thick in diameter, while others have much more numerous thinner ones, is that just natural variation, or can dreads be made thicker or thinner intentionally?

lithostoic
September 28th, 2016, 08:24 PM
I haven noticed some people have only a few dreads very thick in diameter, while others have much more numerous thinner ones, is that just natural variation, or can dreads be made thicker or thinner intentionally?

Both! Depends on the method used to create them and the hair of the person c: As we say here, ymmv, no guarantee that two dreadheads' results will look alike even if they're the same hairtype.

In short, it depends on how you section your hair, or how your hair sections itself naturally. You can choose to keep those sections as they are, or let two or more dreads "congo" or stick together to form one dread. If you want to keep two dreads separate, just grab them and pull them apart c:

lacefrost
September 28th, 2016, 10:34 PM

It troubles me considering the recent legislation that allows employers to fire (black) people for wearing locs. I think, in order for me to feel okay, a white person would need to care for their hair as diligently as a black person with the same style. Regular retwists and styles, very clean, smelling fresh, etc. The U.S. (and other countries) have a history of being discriminatory towards black people because of our hair (amongst other things.) Speaking from personal experience, it would really bother me if a non-black person had locs that were not diligently cared for considering that I have had SO much push back for my hypercurly hair. And for wearing it in twists, which is a style that makes the same amount of sense to me as a ponytail does to looser textures. I would also need a non-black person with that style to be anti-racist, in whatever way was meaningful.

lithostoic
September 29th, 2016, 07:32 AM
Yeah that's the reason I got rid of mine, I was almost 18 and knew I needed to move out and get a job. Of course it wasn't until a year later that a place actually accepted my application, but I know I wouldn't have gotten anywhere with my dreadlocks.

lapushka
September 30th, 2016, 06:16 AM
From the same channel, a *super* informative video on Locs in the military, and their stance on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjM4ShZFd4g

cheeky
October 5th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Anyone use diluted rhassoul clay or thicker rhassoul mask on their locs? I'm curious about it and interested in using as an occasional a cleanser and moisturizer.

akuamoonmaui
October 10th, 2016, 05:50 PM
On Maui dreads are pretty common, and I'd say 90% of people with them are white. Most dreads I've seen have been well taken care of and attractive on the person (male or female).

There's a lady at a health food store who has braided locs down to her calves. I asked her how long she's been growing her hair, she said 27 years (it's probably 30, now). I'd say her braid is 4" across or wider. It's beautiful.

I've considered converting to dreads because people have done them well here, and it's not too big of an employment issue. My biggest fear is I'd want my "regular" hair back, and I'm not about to spend another 8 years regrowing my hair to where it is now.

LongCurlyTress
April 14th, 2019, 09:12 AM
I bumped this older thread in case others might be interested in just letting our hair do it's natural thang... And I love her attitude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE5yXt3GBdU

Bess3714
August 1st, 2019, 12:44 PM
I thought about getting dreads for a while, but then I realized that I love brushing my hair and using foam rollers and trying new braids and buns. I still kind of like the idea, but I know I'll never do it.

PallasAthena
August 9th, 2019, 11:26 AM
I wish I had found this thread a couple months ago! It seems like every early summer I want locks. I freeformed from May to early August and just recently combed them out. I had a few locks formed and I enjoyed them but I realized a full head of locks just wasn't "me."
I am really glad I chose to freeform as it was easier to comb them out and I really got to know my hair texture. I did struggle tryint to figure out a good way to keep my hair moisturized and also encourage tangles without build-up. Now I'm back to conditioners and the wet brush.
I did find a great brand called Locsanity, which is available on Etsy and Amazon. I still use the shampoo, it is great, and independently owned. I also really love the way Dollylocks products smell, will probably keep using their oil and refreshing spray.

lithostoic
August 10th, 2019, 09:15 AM
Sometimes I miss my dreadlocks.

YvetteVarie
August 14th, 2019, 02:43 AM
I did locs once. I did not have the patience to let them mature. My mom, my sister and my sister in law have beautiful locs though. I always get hair envy when I see them

LittleHealthy
August 16th, 2019, 03:34 AM
I had dreadlocks for several years! When I became a mother I cut off half the length of them and slowly started to brush out each dreadlock. They used to take so long to dry after a shower and for them to look the way I wanted them to, I had to always do maintenance to the roots. So I actually find ‘normal’ hair much easier. Since I made mine I actually made a business creating dreadlocks for other people and have done maybe 40-50 sets of new dreadlocks over the past 10yrs, plus maintenance sessions on people, taking up a few days in each week for me. Nowadays I have less clients because my hair isn’t dreadlocked. That’s ok though, sometimes it was awkward having people come to my home, depending on what the client was like, if they were a man or a little bit shy or rude etc.
dreadlocks opened up so many doors for me, and they’re such a fun hairstyle!

YvetteVarie
September 25th, 2020, 01:15 AM
I'm reviving this thread because I loc'ed my hair again. This time it was in a pretty permanent manner (interlocking/latching/crotcheting) so if I want to get rid of them, I will have to shave my head bald.

I loc'ed my hair because I realised I was just tired of caring for my hair. Type 4 hair needs a lot of care, and since I was not willing to put in that level of care, and I also didn't want to go back to unhealthy hair, I decided locs would be a great compromise. I can care for my hair still and keep it healthy, but it doesn't need to take all of my energy and time.

I got loc'ed over 2 days. I started with BSB length loose hair, and ended up with 88 neck length locs. They have shrunk some more, so I am more or less at ear length now. I am supposed to go for my first re-twist in 2 weeks. I currently care for my hair by shampooing it weekly, and use a RO conditioner after, and then airdry. Since it's spring here now, my hair dries fast. I also spray my hair and scalp with water when it feels dry. I still sleep in a satin scarf, as this also helps my locs to lie down in the way I want to style them for the following day. I use bobby pins and headbands to style my locs.

ZoeZ
September 25th, 2020, 06:49 AM
This has been a most interesting and educational thread to read (coming from a pale white woman who had no clue about her own hair until LHC, lol). I was horrified to read that you can be fired in the US for locs! How sad! Thanks for reviving this thread.

I hope you'll keep us apprised on how your locks are coming. It sounds like the best of both worlds with growing hair while minimizing the maintenance.

purple_omelette
September 25th, 2020, 08:59 PM
Agreed, really cool thread! I personally really like the look of dreadlocks, but I'm pretty sure I'd never try them myself. Where I live, hardly anyone has them (except maybe 'white hippie' types. The black community here is predominantly Muslim, so heads are mostly covered, and men mostly have short hair), so I'd stand out too much for my liking!

YvetteVarie
September 28th, 2020, 01:48 AM
Locs are getting to be a mainstream look here. My mum is a judge and she has had her locs way before she was sworn in as a judge. My sister is a lawyer and she has had her locs since she was in uni. At my job, its pretty much a joke now that we will have more dreadlocked people than those who are not, both men and women.

I washed my locs again this weekend. The washing is helping with the loc'ing process as my hair now looks like it has been loc'ed for months instead of a few weeks. I think when I go to get my locs retightened, I may have them styled so I can just wake up, take of my satin scarf and go. And also stop my toddler from pulling my hair as that's his new favourite game

ZoeZ
September 28th, 2020, 04:45 AM
You'd have everyone's dream hair then - waking up and going - wow.