PDA

View Full Version : Is your UP DO hurting?

jaquelines
September 22nd, 2016, 10:54 AM
I have mid length thin hair, not that wild (ponytail circumference about 3 inches) and usually wear my hair up through the day. Which makes my hair (scalp?) hurt a bit, especially after a few hours. I don't do a tight up do, make sure that it's still a bit loose, but after a few hours is just not comfortable anymore. I don't want to do a braid and wear it down to protect my ends. It seems though that whatever goes against the gravity, makes my hair/hair follicles hurt.

Anyone experiencing the same?

animetor7
September 22nd, 2016, 11:04 AM
What are you securing your updo with? Sometimes if I'm securing my updo with something that doesn't distribute the weight well it can hurt. I'd also check that the weight is distributed fairly well on your scalp so no one area bears the brunt of it.

Shiranshoku
September 22nd, 2016, 11:28 AM
I used to have sensitive follicles, too. They did get better, now that I'm used to wearing up my hair.

I'd encourage you to keep trying different buns and updo's. Also, I never keep it up once it starts hurting.

What also helps for me are u-pins instead of bobby pins. Bobbies always hurt me.

jaquelines
September 22nd, 2016, 11:28 AM
Two straight light hairpins.

Anje
September 22nd, 2016, 11:31 AM
What are you securing your updo with? Sometimes if I'm securing my updo with something that doesn't distribute the weight well it can hurt. I'd also check that the weight is distributed fairly well on your scalp so no one area bears the brunt of it.

This. The trick is almost always about securing your updo well. For me, that means absolutely no elastics -- sticks, forks, and clips like ficcares work best for me. Furthermore, I find sticks need to be more or less horizontal, as vertical ones quickly start to pull. Finally, I've found that a snug (not tight and pulling, but not loose) bun usually feels the most comfortable. Loose ones tend to dangle from one small section of hair, whereas snug ones cause many more hairs to take the load. If I have to redo a bun during the day because of discomfort, it's almost always because it's too loose.

animetor7
September 22nd, 2016, 11:32 AM
Two straight light hairpins.

I'd try using 4 dispersed around the bun next time, or a hair fork or stick. Two pins might not be distributing the weight well enough. I know when I secure with two claw clips rather than 4 it hurts. You can also try a different type of updo like a crown braid or milkmaid braids, these might distribute the weight more evenly and help with pain. If that doesn't work you might just have sensitive follicles. Good luck!! :)

Arctic
September 22nd, 2016, 11:35 AM
If you pony circ is 3 inches it's actually not thin at all. :flower:

missrandie
September 22nd, 2016, 11:36 AM
I've been known to use 3 or 4 spin pins at a time just for balanced buns. Load distribution is key!

lapushka
September 22nd, 2016, 11:48 AM
No, I don't really have the same. I just do it between tight (firm) (not facelift firm) and too loose that it's going to bother me and sag. I wear a LWB every day. Towards the end of the week, I feel where the bun has been, but a nice wash alleviates that feeling perfectly.

jaquelines
September 22nd, 2016, 11:48 AM
What also helps for me are u-pins instead of bobby pins. Bobbies always hurt me.

- Will try those u-pins, never had them.

Furthermore, I find sticks need to be more or less horizontal, as vertical ones quickly start to pull.
- Just realized while reading this, that my pins might be to short. Maybe their length adds to the discomfort.

I'd try using 4 dispersed around the bun next time, or a hair fork or stick. Two pins might not be distributing the weight well enough. I know when I secure with two claw clips rather than 4 it hurts. You can also try a different type of updo like a crown braid or milkmaid braids, these might distribute the weight more evenly and help with pain. If that doesn't work you might just have sensitive follicles. Good luck!! :)

- I will try this. At the same time I think there could be something with my follicles, too. Sometimes they really hurt even when my hair was loose, just from switching the side.

If you pony circ is 3 inches it's actually not thin at all. :flower:
- :o well...I used to follow the pony circumference thread and dreaming having 4 inch or more, like some of the ladies there.

I've been known to use 3 or 4 spin pins at a time just for balanced buns. Load distribution is key!
- adding a few pins to my bun.

hobbitlocks
September 22nd, 2016, 12:25 PM
I want to chime with others and say I have a hard time with pinned buns. From APL to waist I used claw clips almost every day -- in part because I hadn't found LHC yet and didn't know how to use sticks and forks, but also because I find it really comfortable. I would also recommend larger u pins over bobby pins -- I still can't get those to work in a way my scalp likes! I can't tell how long your hair is, but you might want to try a small fork and see how that works.

browneyedsusan
September 22nd, 2016, 12:33 PM
Mine used to do that, but I was able to get over it.

After wearing a pixie for years, anything in my hair felt weird at first, and if I didn't take it down, got painful. The first time I pinned my bangs up with a bobbypin, I got a headache after 10 minutes! :justy: Madora gave me this advice: The trick is to go at it slowly: put it up for 10 minutes, then take it down for the rest of the day. The next day, put it up for 15 minutes, then take it down. Keep after it every day, lengthening the time you keep it up by a few minutes. Eventually, you'll be able to leave it up for a couple of hours before you really notice. You can de-sensitize your scalp, but it takes time. :)

Now, I can pretty much wear my hair however I want. Some styles are a little bothersome on the scalp, but nothing really hurts anymore. :)

jaquelines
September 22nd, 2016, 12:48 PM
browneyedsusan, that's a cool try, thank you for this advice. By the way, when I've finished reading your post and saw the picture I was sooo amazed by the growth you've achieved in only 4 years. Congrats!

Frankenstein
September 22nd, 2016, 01:06 PM
I think it's a matter of training your scalp to accept updos if you're not used to them. Mine still hurt sometimes, whether I use a stick or claw clips.

jaquelines
September 22nd, 2016, 01:16 PM
Double post, sorry, have no idea how to completely delete it.:mad:

Deborah
September 22nd, 2016, 02:09 PM
Where you place the bun on your head makes a difference too. If I put mine down low I tend to have a lot more pulling. For me, wearing it up higher is most comfortable; not on top of my head, just high in the back.

Maybe try yours in a slightly different location if pinning it up in different ways does not help enough.

Good luck!

Hurven
September 22nd, 2016, 02:52 PM
When I started using hair sticks instead of elastics, my buns became a lot more comfortable. Also, I absolutely can not wear a high bun, lower buns are more comfortable for me. :)

meteor
September 22nd, 2016, 03:27 PM
Oh, I definitely had this problem when I joined the LHC and started trying to put hair up - it just hurt! But what worked for me was putting it up just until it starts hurting: for example, 5 min, then take it down, then try again - say, 15 min, then 30 min, 1 hour and so on... it gets better over time as the scalp gets used to that particular placement of hair.

Every time I try a new bun, I feel a bit of discomfort, too, and then it goes away with practice.

Try a few different buns and a few different tools tools, e.g. claw-clips around the perimeter of the bun, spin pins, chopsticks, etc... see what works best...

Also, I think some updos just distribute weight better than others: e.g. double/multiple buns, some sectioned buns, Heidi/Milkmaid braids, Crown braids, Horseshoe braids, the Disc bun, Ellingwoman braided bun, Amish braided bun, Interlaced Dutch braids are relatively well distributed, IMHO...

Alternatively, nothing wrong with sticking with braids - they are quite comfortable and protective, too. :)

Hope you'll find something that works for you! :cheer:

goneJackal
September 24th, 2016, 03:52 AM
High buns either hurt me or don't last. I think my hair is too heavy. http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_chorandoNovo.gif

Anje
September 24th, 2016, 07:01 AM
It's worth mentioning, I still have days where updos just hurt. Especially when I'm headache-prone. Those days, I just braid it. Nothing wrong with that.

jaquelines
September 24th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Braiding seems comfortable for me, but I fear my split ends will get hurt in the process. Since my follicles hurt also when having a braid for more than a few hours, I've been starting thinking this is an overall problem with the follicles. No matter how, as long as they stay in the same position (even loose!), when switching the side, they hurt. My hair simply hurts.

Kajzh
September 24th, 2016, 10:24 AM
My hair is monumentally heavy, so usually the best way to wear it up is either in a headwrap (distributes weight most evenly) or in a bun directly on top of my head, which can look goofy with how much extra hair I have!

EdG
September 24th, 2016, 10:34 AM
No matter how, as long as they stay in the same position (even loose!), when switching the side, they hurt. My hair simply hurts.Make sure that your hair is thoroughly untangled.

A strand of hair can support its own weight with no problems, but a tangle or mat can put a lot of weight on a small number of strands. That can be very noticeable.
Ed

Kajzh
September 24th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Make sure that your hair is thoroughly untangled.

A strand of hair can support its own weight with no problems, but a tangle or mat can put a lot of weight on a small number of strands. That can be very noticeable.
Ed

Ooh, yes, so true! I have family members that put their hair up to try to avoid detangling. But that's not always successful for reasons you mention, heh.

LongCurlyTress
September 24th, 2016, 12:09 PM
I think it has to do with the thickness of my hair and consequently, the weight pulling on the strands... I am only able to do a nape length lwb or nautilus these days or it hurts and pulls my scalp hairs. Also, if my hair is damp or wet it also pulls on random hair strands. Two 2 inch claw clips- one on either side of my nape bun helps alot, as does a pinless nautilius ... Good luck... I think this is just how it is... :rolleyes:

animetor7
September 24th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Braiding seems comfortable for me, but I fear my split ends will get hurt in the process. Since my follicles hurt also when having a braid for more than a few hours, I've been starting thinking this is an overall problem with the follicles. No matter how, as long as they stay in the same position (even loose!), when switching the side, they hurt. My hair simply hurts.

You could also try bunning your hair in two sections. Split it in half horizontally like you're about to do a half-up, then bun that part and secure. Next wrap the rest around the first bun you made and secure it. This might distribute the weight of your hair between more pins and help with the scalp pain. I'd also recommend something like a crown braid or milkmaid braids, these are by far the most comfortable hairstyles for me and for many other people because they distribute weight so evenly around your head. Crown braids in particular often require only a few pins to hold, but still distribute weight very well so they can be very comfortable. Good luck!!! :) :flower:

jaquelines
September 29th, 2016, 07:10 AM
I must get my hands on some U Pins, can't find them so easily in stores here in Europe. My hair feel the most comfortable in a braid, though. I will give a try when I have managed to get large U Pins, I have tried some variations based on all your advises, it feels better when I use more pins, but so far I think the fact that my pins are quite small and not covering the entire bun's diameter is at least causing some uncomfy feeling.