PDA

View Full Version : Wurlys and Curlies, What do you do to keep

alinakathryn
October 20th, 2008, 07:17 AM
What do you do to keep your hair looking good for day 2? How do you keep it wavy or curly and not look bad after sleeping?

Thanks
Sarah

hobbitgirl
October 20th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I tend to wear it up a lot now, but if I want to add some curl, I'll comb out my hair and do a water rinse when I shower in the morning. Or, I can do a little water spritz. I'm thinking of having a spray bottle with water and a splash of oil in it to add some conditioning sheen to my hair. I know we curlys tend to have problems with dryness because it's harder for the oils to reach the ends of our hair.

spidermom
October 20th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I do a top of head ponytail, then lightly twist the tail and wrap the length around the base of the ponytail, tucking the ends under the scrunchie. This smoothes my hair out while I sleep, and when I take it down in the morning, it is softly wavy without a cloud of frizz.

Heidi_234
October 20th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Rope braid it for night. Gives you awesome barrel curls.
And works for day 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and... well you got the idea.

alinakathryn
October 20th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Rope braid it for night. Gives you awesome barrel curls.
And works for day 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and... well you got the idea.

Should I do this damp? Mist it or something? I'm not even sure my hair will do a braid its barely chin length.

I might can do the top of the head pony/scruncy bun thing.

Kitara
October 20th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I'll typically rinse it in the shower and pin back the hair with bobby pins while it is still damp. I'll take about 2 inch wide chunks, twist a little, pin it about 2 inches back and do it the whole way around, then tie a scarf around where the pins are. Sorry if that makes no sense...sleep deprivation is setting in ;)
The nice thing about this for me is that if my hair is a bit dirty, you don't notice it. It also looks really cute on chin-shoulder length hair.

Heidi_234
October 20th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Should I do this damp? Mist it or something? I'm not even sure my hair will do a braid its barely chin length.

I might can do the top of the head pony/scruncy bun thing.

Well your hair is indeed very short for a rope braid. You could try and section your hair and do several rope braids. The idea is to twist the hair around and let it dry/stay overnight like this. So if you can do it in a bun with a scrunchy, it might work as well.
I do rope braid after showering, and air dry it in a rope braid, it formats in the curls, and then I just swirls them into rope braid (I personally don't mist it) whenever I don't desire to wear my hair down (like at night time), this maintains the form of the curls.

Amoretti
October 20th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I've given up on having waves on the second day. It's always up anyway so it's not a problem. My hair is too long now to leave it loose. If I want to take a length picture I mist it a bit. :)

Honey39
October 20th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I've found that for me, adding conditioner to the ends and then adding water to the ends really helps. I then kind of scrunch the wet ends up to revitalise the curls, and I've got really really good results that way, that doesn't frizz at all. I've found that spraying my hair to get it damp just makes my hair super frizzy and BIG, whereas wetting the mid-length to ends makes my hair look great. It is a little bit wet, but dries fairly quickly compared to getting the whole head wet at the scalp.

Sam-I-Am
October 20th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I have done the same as Amoretti and just wear it up after the first day. Heck, even on the first day it drives me nuts and usually ends up at some point :)

misstwist
October 20th, 2008, 01:37 PM
When my hair was chin length I just spritzed it in the morning with biolage leave-in conditioner. I used a goodly amount and worked it through with my hands, finger-combing as I went. Then I scrunched to set the waves and ringlets and let it dry without touching it again.

I still do this occasionally at bsl+, but the waves aren't quite as strong as when my hair was shorter and wasn't pulling itself out.

Medvssa
October 20th, 2008, 01:42 PM
A satin pillow case has helped me the most keeping the curls for day 2 or even 3. Misting (with some leave in or oil, otherwise it turns me into a frizzball) also helps the curl form a bit more.

Very loose updos that do not kink the curls help too, I can achieve this with claws or ketylos (they hold better so I do not have to make a tight bun).

I think coarse and fine curls behave very, very differently. Absolutely no brushes or combs for me (unless I want to wear it up or 80's frizzy), nothing short of making my hair completely wet and adding at least some conditioner can take the frizz out of my hair after combing it. Also not the kinks of tight updos, braids, etc.

rhosyn_du
October 20th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I've given up on having nice, clumpy waves past wash day. Everything I've tried gives me "rat's nest" hair. If I'm wearing my hair down on the second or third day, I comb with a wide-toothed comb (this is the only thing that will re-integrate my inevitable finger-in-a-light-socket halo with the rest of my hair), and then smooth a drop of camellia oil over the canopy and through the length (this helps tame the frizz caused by combing). This gives me very loose, non-clumpy, 2a-ish waves.

manderly
October 20th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I spritz with kimberlily's defrizz spray and twist my hair into sausage curls.

RenaissanceHair
October 20th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I mist with a concoction of Shea It Ain't So, lavender oil, and water, and scrunch. If the ends are dry, I go over them after the misting with some Shea It Ain't So or other shea-based concoction and scrunch again if necessary. Works like a charm!

Arctic_Mama
October 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM
A little oil smoothed down for definition if that is what I am looking for, otherwise I spray with a squirt bottle and scrunch. Works like a charm.

Curly Renee
October 21st, 2008, 01:38 AM
I have to either mist my hair and add a little conditioner or get it wet in the shower and add product to have any sort of curl instead of frizz.

shrimp
October 21st, 2008, 05:19 AM
I mist before bed and re-plop my hair as if it was post wash over night. My second day curls are often better than the first even though in between they have been pulled out by my bun. Kind of a shame in a way to ruin them but I cannot cope with my hair down anymore, especially not curly as it just gets too big with the wind and rain.

CurlyNinja
October 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
When my hair was shorter, it was close to impossible. Now, I throw my hair over the back of the pillow and since the curls aren't getting crushed they mostly stay put. In the morning I wet my hands and smooth them over my hair, reordering it. Voila! 2nd day hair.

cocolover
October 23rd, 2008, 09:52 AM
I'm similar to everyone else, I mist the ends and mid with Nightshades's faerie dust and then scrunch. It turns out really nice. Once dry, a very light smoothing of oil over the canopy takes care of frizz. I also mist the top though and pin up to have some height, as I can get really flat on top...that east west thing they talk about in curly girl.

Lady Lilya
October 24th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I tend to wear it down the first day after washing it, and then after that do up-dos that hide most of the mess. I can run damp hands over all the surfaces to tame any frizz, and then start tucking into a bun so the lack of individual curl definition is hidden.

If I want to wear it down again, I wet it again and comb it and let it curl up neatly as it would on the first day. I just stick my head in the sink upside down.

I can't stand the idea of putting anything on my hair. I like it as clean and naked as possible. But when I wash it, I only wash near the scalp. I figure the soapy water running down as I rinse will wash the rest of it well enough.

I also do a rinse with apple cider vinegar, because I think it makes my hair shinier and softer without weighing it down. And it makes my hair less easily tangle-able.

Alizarin Fionn
October 24th, 2008, 12:16 PM
What I do is usually hide it in an updo. My hair gets really dry after a day at work with the air recycling system that they installed. It feels kind of crispy so if I want to have it down two days in a row I have to wet it down and put conditioner in it so that it goes soft again. If dry and crispy I just put it up.

Curlsgirl
October 26th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I also throw my hair as best I can over my pillow and usually do nothing to it in the morning. I guess I'm lucky that way though and I couldn't do that when it was shorter. The longer it gets, the better it does. I think it definitely depends on your hairtype. Misting really doesn't make my hair happy so I don't do that often. Sometimes I do dampen my hands just a bit and run them through my hair to freshen up the curls.