PDA

View Full Version : My Hair Prefers Braids to Buns??!!

kittengirl
September 21st, 2016, 08:15 PM
Lately I have realized that my hair is much softer, smoother, shinier and more tangle-free when I braid it in one or two English braids as opposed to bunning. Does anyone else have this? I know that bunning is better for your hair, and though I do use very hairsafe ties (either silk or cut up tights) I worry about it being down. As it gets longer I will be doing more braided updos but for now I am a bit limited. And now I am remembering that when I had very long hair as a child it liked being braided then best as well. Only thing that keeps the tangles out! So what do you think? Is my hair stubborn? Does anyone else's hair do this? Come winter I will have to wear it up so it fits with scarves and coats without rubbing because it gets below zero Fahrenheit here sometimes. I am also making calorimetries for winter so I can avoid hat tangles. :rolleyes:
I am going to clarify for the first time ever tonight and then deep condition so I may try to ask about my hairtype then. I know it is supposed to be without conditioner but if I did that it would be a solid mass, especially after clarifying. I just let it air-dry without touching it correct?

Hairkay
September 22nd, 2016, 05:28 AM
Lately I have realized that my hair is much softer, smoother, shinier and more tangle-free when I braid it in one or two English braids as opposed to bunning. Does anyone else have this? I know that bunning is better for your hair, and though I do use very hairsafe ties (either silk or cut up tights) I worry about it being down. As it gets longer I will be doing more braided updos but for now I am a bit limited. And now I am remembering that when I had very long hair as a child it liked being braided then best as well. Only thing that keeps the tangles out! So what do you think? Is my hair stubborn? Does anyone else's hair do this? Come winter I will have to wear it up so it fits with scarves and coats without rubbing because it gets below zero Fahrenheit here sometimes. I am also making calorimetries for winter so I can avoid hat tangles. :rolleyes:
I am going to clarify for the first time ever tonight and then deep condition so I may try to ask about my hairtype then. I know it is supposed to be without conditioner but if I did that it would be a solid mass, especially after clarifying. I just let it air-dry without touching it correct?

That works best for me too. It means I can have my hair in manageable sections that can wash and dry easily any time of the year. If I kept to buns all the time my hair would spend too much time being wet. Plus with my thickness most buns are either too difficult or impossible to do. Plaiting/braiding helps reduced single strand knots. Buns for me mean a lot of manipulation to get thick hair to wrap most times I'd have to plait it first anyway or twist it (single strand or two strand). Technically my hair could stay in a bun all week without me touching it but it'd be mostly a wet soggy bun or if I forgo my daily WO washing my scalp and hair would dry out a bit (not good for my problem skin). A large lot of unplaited/unbraided hair is most likely to try to matt. I've heard of those with kinky curly hair trying this for a week and finding the whole thing got matted. For best results I'd have to redo it daily with lots of detangling. Bunning is not best for everyone all the time. Low manipulation works best for me. Plaiting/braiding is only manipulation once a week. That way I don't get broken ends and rarely have split ends anymore.

Kajzh
September 24th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Yessss, I totally agree with Hairkay. I get a ton of matting when I bun for too long. I think it's my hair type, mostly.

sarahthegemini
September 24th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Bunning is only better for your hair if that's what your hair likes. Clearly, yours prefers braids so I'd stick with that and not worry :) As for hair typing - I personally think the old method is not appropriate for hair textures that require moisture to show themselves for what they actually are. If that makes sense? If I just shampooed, my hair wouldn't look as wavey as when it's properly conditioned.
I'd just shampoo, condition, squeeze out excess water else you'll be dripping. Let air dry. Voila.

Kajzh
September 24th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Are you saying that hair typing systems neglect to identify porosity?

kittengirl
September 24th, 2016, 11:28 AM
Thanks for all the feed back!! I've been experimenting more with braided updos, but last night I slept in a topknot instead of a braid and my hair was sooooo soft this morning. Maybe it was my claw clip I always wore for buns that my hair doesn't like. Maybe my hair is confused and doesn't know what it wants lol. It's good to know everyone's different though and you should go by what your hair wants!!

Kajzh
September 24th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Exactly! It just takes time and experimentation. There is no one size that fits all!

PixieP
September 24th, 2016, 11:57 AM
My ends feel more unhappy after buns than braids; I feel like they don't like rubbing up against the rest of the hair. But generally I can do both.

spidermom
September 24th, 2016, 01:06 PM
Best of both worlds - the braided bun.

I know we all do it, but isn't it weird to say things like "my hair prefers this" and "my hair hates that" when it's really our brains making those distinctions. I've noticed around here also that what one person describes as proof that "my hair hates this", another person will use the same description as proof that "my hair loves that". It's all personal preference. Just an observation, an aside if you will.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

animetor7
September 24th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Could you pin your two english braids across your head as milkmaid braids? This way you could, as spidermom said, have the best of both worlds. A hairstyle that works with your hair type and also protection for your ends. :) :flower:

Hairkay
September 24th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Thanks for all the feed back!! I've been experimenting more with braided updos, but last night I slept in a topknot instead of a braid and my hair was sooooo soft this morning. Maybe it was my claw clip I always wore for buns that my hair doesn't like. Maybe my hair is confused and doesn't know what it wants lol. It's good to know everyone's different though and you should go by what your hair wants!!

Exactly! It just takes time and experimentation. There is no one size that fits all!
It's good to find out what works with your own hair. I have had someone try to argue that buns were better than plaits/braids even mentioning traction alopecia as a reason why plaits/braids are not best. It's just that they did not take in to consideration that traction alopecia can happen with all hairstyles that's done too tight, buns and braids included. Buns suited their hair so they expected it to be the same for everyone.

Best of both worlds - the braided bun.

I know we all do it, but isn't it weird to say things like "my hair prefers this" and "my hair hates that" when it's really our brains making those distinctions. I've noticed around here also that what one person describes as proof that "my hair hates this", another person will use the same description as proof that "my hair loves that". It's all personal preference. Just an observation, an aside if you will.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.
I never bother going around saying that my hair likes or dislikes anything. It's not it's own person but part of me. I will say what works for dealing with my hair though.

Oh and I agree on the best of both worlds with the plaited/braided bun. many times I've done the LWB it's been done on plaited/braided hair or twisted hair. It is also possible to get a huge puff bun but even that is best to have the ends plaited/twisted then tucked in order to prevent massive tangles. One day I'll be trying that. I did notice the new braided bun created in a thread, the fishtail braid one. I can't remember what it was called though. It was beautiful. I don't think I could manage one with all my hair in one. I'd had to do two or 3 of them which would work best for my tight curls and thickness.

MidnightMoon
September 25th, 2016, 04:35 AM
Nope. My braids always end up with pieces sticking out which later on tangle. I also fear all that rubbing and constant friction. A well done bun lasts me all day, not all hair is exposed, zero tangles and its just as soft as when I put it up.

kittengirl
September 25th, 2016, 11:06 AM
I bought a Fakare (spelling?) at Sally on Friday and it has made such a difference in my updos! It is wonderful for keeping my hair up. I am honestly starting to think my hair didn't like the plastic giant claw I used to use. It's been interesting reading everyone's opinions, especially about braids. I feel like we talk about updos a ton on here it's nice to know other people braid as well!