PDA

View Full Version : What things do you LOVE that your hair HATES?

Shepherdess
September 21st, 2016, 11:06 AM
Is there anything that you love doing that your hair hates? Have you found any solutions to these?

-I love warm oil treatments on my scalp, since they feel so nice, but I always seem to get a reaction of some sort later on and shedding from too much oil, and it is hard to wash all out. Last night I made some warm tea and mixed aloe Vera in it instead as a sort of replacement, and it felt nice.

-I love my fine tooth wood comb, how it feels on my scalp and how it smooths out my hair and collects lint, though if I am not extremely careful and detangle beforehand, I can easily snap my hairs with it.

-I like how sulfates make my scalp feel, but if they are too strong they cause extreme frizz, brittle strands and some breakage, so I can only use milder or diluted types if I need to clarify.

-I enjoy swimming, but it is hard on my hair, though I have found swimming caps to be helpful.

Do share! :o

I don't know if there are any threads like this already or not, I searched, but couldn't find any, so I hope I didn't miss any.

littlestarface
September 21st, 2016, 11:18 AM
I love wide toothed combs but my hair hates them so much.

That's the only thing I can think of honestly lol

Cg
September 21st, 2016, 11:40 AM
I love to do athletic things, but unless I braid and pin heavily, my hair laughs and comes undone.

HairPlease
September 21st, 2016, 12:04 PM
I love doing things that involve lots of wind, and I don't like putting my hair up. :laugh:

yahirwaO.o
September 21st, 2016, 12:11 PM
1)Sulfates are amazing but my hair is so flyway and frizzy afterwards I feel like cave man! But my oily scalp needs it and diluting worked for a while, still my scalp demands to be cleaned really welll!

2)I honesty love flat ironed-pin straight hair, we know how obviously damges hair but I feel so good when hair looks super and neat and flyway free! My natural hair is pretty straight to beging with but its gets frizzy and if I use oils it usually gets weight down and looks awful .Everything from DYS to deep condtioner in dferent ratios I've tried and the only way my frizz is dramastically reduced while looking nice is straighting! :(

3) I love top knots but my scalp sometimes gets a bit sore from those!

Silverbleed
September 21st, 2016, 12:20 PM
Conditioner. I love the slip, the feel and sometimes the smell. But my hair really doesn't like it.

And brushing. I love the feeling of brushing, and how soft my hair feels afterwards. But that frizz afterwards bruh.

lapushka
September 21st, 2016, 12:21 PM
I've learned one thing after all these years and that is to listen to my hair & scalp! And to listen carefully. I was different when I first got here. I experimented and did what I thought was right. Wrong. My scalp protested like no other. I have SD, and am oily and I have to be careful with oil on my scalp and with conditioner as well.

No, I'm a good listener these days. :lol:

Alissalocks
September 21st, 2016, 12:24 PM
I love curls. My hair laughs in response, and complies begrudgingly for only a few short hours before taking its final revenge.

I love colors like pink and purple, but the bleach damage is never great to deal with, even when minimal.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
September 21st, 2016, 12:44 PM
I love brushing with my bbb it is soooooo relaxing and stimulating and cleansing for my scalp. But not good for curlies

I love scalp oiling it has a calming and soothing effect, but then I have to wash it out as it can cause irritation and shedding.

animetor7
September 21st, 2016, 02:42 PM
I love loose, a little bit carefree hairstyles, even for updos. My fine, straight hair laughs and spits out whatever I've used to try and hold it up a-la gibson girl. I also love the idea of using hair taping to hold up a crown braid with ribbons, so pretty!!! But I need to reinforce with pins otherwise the ribbons just slide and my crown braid slides down my head until it becomes uncomfortable enough that I have to take it down. :(

Stub
September 21st, 2016, 03:02 PM
And brushing. I love the feeling of brushing, and how soft my hair feels afterwards. But that frizz afterwards bruh.

THIS. I can't NOT brush my hair, but my hair hates it. When I try not to, say I put it up without brushing, invariably I have to take it down again just to brush it. Some sort of OCD brushing problem I have. lol. Frizz city!

meteor
September 21st, 2016, 05:35 PM
- Running
- Swimming
- Martial Arts
- Dancing
- Changing hair color on a whim
- Wearing hair down
- Headbanging to make hair dry faster
- Convertibles
- Headrests
- Flannel, wool and all sorts of warm, fleecy materials
- Hot water
- Wind
- Vacuum cleaners
- Shower drains, etc etc ....

- .... the list goes on and on...

:lol: Ugh, this thread kind of makes me realize how many perfectly normal things my hair doesn't like! :lol:

lithostoic
September 21st, 2016, 05:56 PM
Sulfate free shampoos / cleansing conditioners.

czech it out
September 21st, 2016, 06:19 PM
Most conventional hair products fall into this category for me! I would love to include hair serums, leave in conditioners, deep conditioners etc. in my routine, but my hair just wants plain old shampoo and conditioner. And the occasional oil treatment. My solution is just to buy all kinds of frivolous and yummy smelling bath/body products instead!

Nadine <3
September 21st, 2016, 09:26 PM
I love the way my boar bristle brush feels on my scalp, but it rips my poor hair to shreds. I think my hair screams when it sees the brush.

school of fish
September 21st, 2016, 09:55 PM
Clothing with oversized funnel-necks, cowl collars and dramatic hoods... gigantic voluminous bouncy curls... root volume... my pre-LHC favourite Nature's Gate Herbal... dancing with my hair loose and free... pancaked braids... french twists...

Mirabele
September 22nd, 2016, 01:03 AM
Ponytails. High and low ponytails with tight elastics. Wearing ponytail at gym. I loved that. My hair is so delicate it gets damage from the elastics and my ends/ length get imediately dry. My bleached ends are that weak that they get dry even if i *only think* about wearing a ponytail or wear my hair down.

i also miss being blond, or having highlights and that feeling of being able to change and look different/better, also younger.

Sometimes i miss my all pre- LHC thinking; e g not to think THAT much about all the details.

Shiranshoku
September 22nd, 2016, 01:21 AM
Cool idea for a thread!

I love volume and curls, but my hair can't hold a curl for longer than half an hour.

It's not that I want to change my hair permanently, but I'd love to be able to curl it for an evening or so.

*sigh*

Nimia
September 22nd, 2016, 07:28 AM
1. Wearing my hair down all the time. It ends up frizzy and tangled, and it would really rather be put in Dutch braids and then coiled into a bun. I wear it down anyway.

2. Heat tools: curling iron, flattening iron. I don't use them any more, but I miss them. So easy. So evil.

3. Bleach. I only allow myself a few highlights now, but would love all my hair to be a shade or two lighter.

animetor7
September 22nd, 2016, 07:38 AM
I also like fun colors, but I hate using bleach on my already damage-prone hair and because my hair is low-porosity it rejects colors without bleach. No joke, in high school I once tried to dye my hair black. My friend and I used a permanent box dye and it was back to auburn in 2 or 3 washes. My slippery, apparently locked down tightly hair refuses to be anything but auburn without some serious effort on my part. Luckily I'm happy enough with the auburn that I don't mind it just doing what it will. :shrug: :)

Hurven
September 22nd, 2016, 09:11 AM
I love touching my hair and running my hands through it, but when I do, it gets SO greasy and just looks blah... :(

missrandie
September 22nd, 2016, 12:03 PM
Having the window down in the car.
Snuggling my husband.
Naps.
Putting on shirts.
Taking off shirts.
Running. (Just kidding, I hate running as much as my hair does)

mizukitty
September 22nd, 2016, 12:51 PM
I love rinsing my head in hot water. It feels SO amazing and makes my stress melt away. But I can almost *feel* my strands crying in agony about how dry they will be after. And we know dryness eventually leads to damage. So I have to give this up for my hair. I also love my hair flowing and blowing in the wind, but that's just a disaster of tangles waiting to happen :(

Achlys
September 22nd, 2016, 01:19 PM
I love the way my boar bristle brush feels on my scalp, but it rips my poor hair to shreds. I think my hair screams when it sees the brush.

Same!

Also, fine tooth combs.
Looong showers.
Cotton, or even furry pillowcases.
Touching my hair.
Ponytails.

Kajzh
September 24th, 2016, 10:56 AM
I loooove coating my hair with a ton of cones. It protects it so well and gives it incredible shine.

While my hair likes it, my scalp does not!

My scalp is very sensitive to buildup, and I'll get plaque-like dandruff if I add oils or any other water-insoluble products to it. So I rarely cone up anymore because it gives my head super creamy, thick yellow buildup.

yamsha23
September 24th, 2016, 01:44 PM
I love warm oil treatments on my scalp, since they feel so nice, but I always seem to get a reaction of some sort later on and shedding from too much oil, and it is hard to wash all out. Last night I made some warm tea and mixed aloe Vera in it instead as a sort of replacement, and it felt nice.
I've lost SO much hair because of a parachute ayurvedic hair oil... It scared me the first time I did a warm oil treatment with it, the floor was covered with hair, but because I really wanted it to work I did it two more times before I finally stopped it and threw it in the bin.
I think that soft things like aloe vera and tea are far more better on the long term for you scalp and hair that very concentrated magic potions.

Goatcraft
September 24th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Coconut oil. I love coconut oil but I've recently discovered that my hair hates daily use of coconut oil. Actually dries my hair out horribly! I had to cut off a couple of inches and switch over to olive after the damage it caused. But I still use coconut for skin care.

Sparklecake
September 25th, 2016, 04:47 AM
Braids- my fine and thick hair just laughs as it slides out of them.
combs- no matter how gentle I am they just break my hair.
Stretching washes- I loved only washing my hair once a week but now If I don't wash it with a sulphate shampoo every 3 days my scalp breaks out in bumps :confused: :shrug:
Temporary dyes- My blonde hair just wants to hold onto the dye forever.
Spin pins- I love the idea of them but my hair just spits them out faster than anything else.

Mimha
September 25th, 2016, 05:01 AM
I love combing SO MUCH !!... But my hair and scalp get greasy if I do. Plus my hair is quite fine and I don't want to uselessly erode it. :(

By the way, I have bought a thick Chinese WT wooden comb lately, that came with a scalp massage tiny horn comb. And... wow ! :bigeyes: They are great !! :cloud9: I don't use them to really comb my hair (especially the small one which is much too small), but to pass gently on my scalp and remove tensions. It's magical ! It also helps in case of headache and migraine. :wink:

Oops, and I forgot to say : I love going to the beach or to the swimming pool, but all the sand, salt, chlorine, require a lot of extra washing and handling, which my hair doesn't particularly like. Oh well, I don't want to stop enjoying life, sun and sea because of my hair anyway !!

Miata
September 25th, 2016, 07:19 AM
Bleaching in order to dye my hair unnatural colours. My hair actually stands up pretty well to bleach abuse, but obviously it isn't good for anyone's hair really, and I want my hair to be in optimal condition, so I've sworn off lightening it for the foreseeable future.

Flipgirl24
September 25th, 2016, 07:23 AM
Put conditioner on your hair before swimming under the cap. Will help protect your hair. Then use a clarifying shampoo to remove the chlorine.

Flipgirl24
September 25th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Your hair laughs at you too? I thought I was the only one....

Mimha
September 25th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Put conditioner on your hair before swimming under the cap. Will help protect your hair. Then use a clarifying shampoo to remove the chlorine.

Thanks for your advice Flipgirl24. I know all this :) there are plenty of threads about it on LHC. I just don't use conditioners at all and I hate wearing a cap, lol. I also never clarify because normal shampoo is already far too aggressive for my hair. I just rinse thoroughly with fresh water, and up to now it has done the trick.