PDA

View Full Version : Damp updos and scalp issues

florenonite
October 20th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I wash my hair every two to four days, depending on how much it needs it. After washing it, I leave it down for a while, but eventually do need to put it up in some way because it gets in the way so easily. However, when I do this it aggravates my scalp and I get dandruff. What can I do to attempt to prevent this?

burns_erin
October 20th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I am not sure, but if it is only getting "dandruff" and irritated when your scalp is left damp periods of time, it may be a fungus, so maybe try a fungal treatment.

bjt
October 20th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I don't put my hair up when its wet--I always feel like it needs to dry. I wash at night, a couple hours before bed time so that its not dripping wet while I'm sleeping, and then I leave it loose while I sleep (I have it go straight over the back of my pillow and down the back of the bed, trough the headboard slots). Then its dry by morning and I can put it up. Occasionally I have to wash it before going out, in which case I'll braid it loosely. then, the scalp and top part of my hair will still dry pretty quick but the part in the braid will stay wet until I take it out of the braid.

joyfulmom4
October 20th, 2008, 07:30 AM
This happens to me too. I can't stand putting my hair up wet. I'll be interested to read the advice you receive.

florenonite
October 20th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I am not sure, but if it is only getting "dandruff" and irritated when your scalp is left damp periods of time, it may be a fungus, so maybe try a fungal treatment.

I don't know that it's a fungal thing, as it's always there even if my hair hasn't been left damp for too long, and it's made better if I wash my hair more gently. I do use ACV and a TTO shampoo when it bothers me, but I did this last time I washed and then had damp hair for more than a day (damp bunned, then rain when it was in a plait) and my scalp became itchy.

I don't put my hair up when its wet--I always feel like it needs to dry. I wash at night, a couple hours before bed time so that its not dripping wet while I'm sleeping, and then I leave it loose while I sleep (I have it go straight over the back of my pillow and down the back of the bed, trough the headboard slots). Then its dry by morning and I can put it up. Occasionally I have to wash it before going out, in which case I'll braid it loosely. then, the scalp and top part of my hair will still dry pretty quick but the part in the braid will stay wet until I take it out of the braid.

I can't sleep in wet hair if I don't want it to be a rat's nest when I get up. I tend to wash mid-afternoon, but I find that my hair gets in the way when it's loose if I'm doing any work or some such thing. It's thick so it takes quite some time for even the scalp hair to dry. Braiding loosely isn't an option at my length, as it just falls out (again, thick hair that doesn't want to stay in anything).

Periwinkle
October 20th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Could you do more than one braid?

Alternatively, could you tie it back from say shoulder down, leaving your scalp to get some air? I do this for my scalp washes. I gather all the hair in a pony, slide my hands out so that I'm holding the hair at shoulder level, then wrap the length around where I'm holding it and secure with an elastic. This allows for movement of the scalp hair but keeps the rest securely tied.

Otherwise, could you try combing it while it dries? It's a little tricky if you're sleeping, but it really does speed up the drying time.

ChatoyantLocks
October 20th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I tend to wash mid-afternoon, but I find that my hair gets in the way when it's loose if I'm doing any work or some such thing.

You could change your schedule so you wash your hair in the morning, and schedule activities afterwards, such as projects on the computer, that don't care if your hair is loose. That's what I do, anyway.

Zombiekins
October 20th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I know this is generally frowned upon...but how about blow drying? :scared: Yes, yes, they're evil things. But I went two years without using a blow dryer, recently started again (this past winter), and have no new damage. Which leads me to believe their damnation is wildly exaggerated. Since you wash your hair as often as me, how about using a blow dryer after towel-drying hair just until it's about 85% done. I don't have temp settings (unless low and high count), but I do have a cool shot button and an ion switch. Using the cool shot I can get the air to warm temp that isn't hot, but still dries my hair within a reasonable amount of time (five minutes-ish). Plus it really seems to help the oil spread down my length and ends much better than when air drying.

My hair is obnoxious if left down too, so after blow drying to almost dry, then I'll bun it up and the very slight dampness finishes drying within an hour or so and my hair is super soft. Good luck with whatever you decide to try! :)

spidermom
October 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I try to plan washings for when I can be sitting around at home letting it air dry for several hours. If I have to get it dry before bed or going out, I will use the blow dryer on warm to cool. I don't think that it's very harmful. I don't pull and stretch with a brush but use my shower comb to hold out my hair. I keep the heat off the very ends and concentrate on drying the scalp area. My ends dry really fast with that.

florenonite
October 20th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Could you do more than one braid?

Alternatively, could you tie it back from say shoulder down, leaving your scalp to get some air? I do this for my scalp washes. I gather all the hair in a pony, slide my hands out so that I'm holding the hair at shoulder level, then wrap the length around where I'm holding it and secure with an elastic. This allows for movement of the scalp hair but keeps the rest securely tied.

Otherwise, could you try combing it while it dries? It's a little tricky if you're sleeping, but it really does speed up the drying time.

I could try two plaits, but they tend to look daft on me if I don't get them right. Tying it back lower down could work, though, and combing whilst it dries.

You could change your schedule so you wash your hair in the morning, and schedule activities afterwards, such as projects on the computer, that don't care if your hair is loose. That's what I do, anyway.

I have nine o'clock lectures three times a week and a ten o'clock tutorial on another day, and there's no way I'm getting up in time to shower before I go, I have enough difficulty as it is! On weekends I do wash my hair when I get up, but unfortunately my hair cannot go a whole week without being washed. Also, even computer projects require my hair to be out of the way, as I sit with my laptop on my lap and look down at it.

I know this is generally frowned upon...but how about blow drying? :scared: Yes, yes, they're evil things. But I went two years without using a blow dryer, recently started again (this past winter), and have no new damage. Which leads me to believe their damnation is wildly exaggerated. Since you wash your hair as often as me, how about using a blow dryer after towel-drying hair just until it's about 85% done. I don't have temp settings (unless low and high count), but I do have a cool shot button and an ion switch. Using the cool shot I can get the air to warm temp that isn't hot, but still dries my hair within a reasonable amount of time (five minutes-ish). Plus it really seems to help the oil spread down my length and ends much better than when air drying.

My hair is obnoxious if left down too, so after blow drying to almost dry, then I'll bun it up and the very slight dampness finishes drying within an hour or so and my hair is super soft. Good luck with whatever you decide to try! :)

In all honesty, I loathed the blow-dryer even before hearing of the damage. It hurts my arms (I have no muscle and my hair takes ages to dry), and it's too hot, it blows my hair about, I can think of a whole host of reasons. For this reason I actually don't own a hair-dryer, and don't really want to invest in a good quality one, being a student and all.

I try to plan washings for when I can be sitting around at home letting it air dry for several hours. If I have to get it dry before bed or going out, I will use the blow dryer on warm to cool. I don't think that it's very harmful. I don't pull and stretch with a brush but use my shower comb to hold out my hair. I keep the heat off the very ends and concentrate on drying the scalp area. My ends dry really fast with that.

I do generally wash when I'll be sitting around the house; however, sitting around the house generally entails doing something on the computer, homework, or reading, all of which require me to sit with my head bowed, and therefore my hair gets in the way anyway :(

spidermom
October 20th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Upper body strength is essential for a lot of tasks (picking up babies, moving, putting things away on high shelves, raking, mopping, and so forth). May I gently suggest you develop some muscles rather than give up activities that make your arms tired? (blow-dryers are optional, of course)

florenonite
October 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Upper body strength is essential for a lot of tasks (picking up babies, moving, putting things away on high shelves, raking, mopping, and so forth). May I gently suggest you develop some muscles rather than give up activities that make your arms tired? (blow-dryers are optional, of course)

I'm one of those people who just doesn't build muscle easily, and that's made worse by the fact that I haven't the discipline to properly work out. I have picked up archery and mediaeval sword fighting, which are helping (as evidenced by the fact that my right arm is in pain today from fighting yesterday), but it's going to take a long time for me to get any muscle whatsoever, because my body just doesn't like building muscle. I'm frequently envious of my 11yo sister who has the same amount of arm muscle as me with little effort.