PDA

View Full Version : Round brushes!

Spinder
September 21st, 2016, 09:48 AM
I saw this video of an epic round brush disaster and I confess, I was doubled over laughing the whole time. The video is edited in such a way that is meant to be humorous, but at the same time I do feel terrible for this poor girl. I wonder if there was anything she might have been able to do differently that may have saved her hair.

Has anyone here ever had a mishap with a round brush?? It happened to me once when I was younger, but it was only a small section of hair, so I was able to get it free safely. I have never touched any round brushes myself ever since. That is why I always tell everyone I know to avoid round brushes like the plague, unless maybe if they are soft boar bristle! Plastic or metal bristles are too inflexible and the risk of them getting stuck is too great.

Though, round brushes are meant for styling your hair while blow drying, they are !NOT! supposed to be used for detangling, ever, but most folks seem to be quite unaware of this until they find out the hard way (including the unfortunate lady in this video). :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bkVCAS4_FA

sumidha
September 21st, 2016, 09:49 AM
Yes! When I was a small child visiting my grandma I got my hair massively tangled in her round brush. :laugh:

Cg
September 21st, 2016, 11:36 AM
I used a fat round brush only until my hair was longer than the brush circumference -- for that very reason.

Upside Down
September 21st, 2016, 11:37 AM
Happened to me too when I was a kid. Then I had an "aa-haa!" moment when I was at the hair salon and saw how they use them. :lol:

I use a big round brush made of some bristles (synthetic I guess) to heat style.

You just don't wind your hair on it!!!

Cg
September 21st, 2016, 11:58 AM
Even if you don't wind your hair, if there's air moving some hairs can wrap and snag anyway.

HairPlease
September 21st, 2016, 12:06 PM
Those things can be evil. I used a round brush when my hair was super short (shorter than pixie) just because I loved squishing it all over my scalp. I wouldn't use one now, though, and I never ever heat style.

Silverbleed
September 21st, 2016, 12:09 PM
This almost happened to me in a frikkin' salon. I told her to stop asap using that thing and carefully took it out. Took me a while, but I'm glad I stopped her. I don't think these should go near my hair ever again lmao.

About the video, I wonder, would she have been able to safe some of her hair by using tons of conditioner? That's probably what I would try. Though it does look pretty bad xD I feel so bad for her.

CrazyWaves
September 21st, 2016, 12:11 PM
I had a mishap with a curling brush (like a curling iron, but with hard plastic brush bristles around it) when I was around 12. I tried curling the front of my hair and wound it a little to far. Ended up getting it tangled so bad it had to be cut out. I wound up with bangs going half way to the crown of my head and cut just above my eyebrows. Since then I stay far, far away from anything round and bristled.

GrowingOut
September 21st, 2016, 01:08 PM
I know my twin uses one because her hair is a pixie now but I got one stuck in my bangs ONCE as a small child. NEVER AGAIN!!

Pearly~91
September 21st, 2016, 01:10 PM
I think she probably panicked when she realized that her hair was caught and tried to yank the brush out and caused the hair to tighten and get more stuck. Kind of like a Chinese finger trap? My experience with hair is that if there is a knot, or something is stuck, the harder you pull the worse it gets. If she had stopped right when she realized there was a problem and gently pulled small pieces out of the knot she might have saved it.

I'm sure I've had trouble with round brushes before. I owned 1 or 2 growing up. I don't think I ever had to rip/cut out a large section though. We were usually able to save most of it. One of the benefits of super slippery hair!

animetor7
September 21st, 2016, 05:41 PM
Nothing as bad as in the video, but when I was a child my mom tried to use them on my hair and it just was a tangle nightmare!!! She has always kept her hair short and as a former dancer, mine has always been long. I stand by my general rule that round brushes are normally death to long hair, at least long hair that is prone to damage/tangling.

meteor
September 21st, 2016, 06:20 PM
Oh no! :scared: I feel so bad for the girl in the video. :(

I must say, I experienced very bad tangling situations (though not nearly as bad as the video) and had to pull out hair every time I tried a round brush - at a salon and once when I was travelling unprepared and a round brush happened to be the only tool available after I washed my hair :brickwall. These days, I just think of a round brush as a tool for styling short hair only and I don't go near it.

I think she probably panicked when she realized that her hair was caught and tried to yank the brush out and caused the hair to tighten and get more stuck. Kind of like a Chinese finger trap? My experience with hair is that if there is a knot, or something is stuck, the harder you pull the worse it gets. If she had stopped right when she realized there was a problem and gently pulled small pieces out of the knot she might have saved it.

I'm sure I've had trouble with round brushes before. I owned 1 or 2 growing up. I don't think I ever had to rip/cut out a large section though. We were usually able to save most of it. One of the benefits of super slippery hair!

Yes, I'm thinking, there must be some way of troubleshooting these situations LHC-style... :hmm: Maybe using a pointy pin/needle/end of a rattail comb to loosen up some strands around the base? :hmm: It's clearly a nightmare type situation, I really don't know what I'd do now apart from trying to pick at separate strands and try to unravel them one by one, maybe, it would probably take a *very* long time and some hair would still be lost, I would imagine ... :hmm:

vampyyri
September 21st, 2016, 08:17 PM
This hurts to watch... I used to use a round brush near daily back when I was a teen, I'm glad this never happened to me :shudder:

Shorty89
September 21st, 2016, 08:34 PM
Been there done that :eep: I was a kid and tried to "curl" my hair by winding a strand of hair around my mom's round brush. It was about waist length at the time. My mom tried to untangle it, but ended up having to cut the brush out. The chunk of hair wasn't that thick, but I was traumatized.

Nadine <3
September 21st, 2016, 09:23 PM
Yeah, as a kid I got my moms round brush stuck in my hair a few times. I got it stuck in my moms hair once too, idk why she would let her 7 year old "brush" her hair with that thing, but she did and then nevr agian. lol

Frankenstein
September 22nd, 2016, 07:12 AM
That video makes me cringe :eek: I remember using a round brush to comb my hair a few times when I was younger, not knowing any better. My hair got tangled in it one time but it wasn't severe.