PDA

View Full Version : Oil slick scalp, something's gotta give...

vampyyri
September 20th, 2016, 07:06 PM
Hey guys, so I've encountered a really irritating issue as of lately: I can barely go 12-24 hours before the roots of my hair are plastered on my head. Picture someone slicking their hair back while it's still wet or coated in lard. If I wash my hair at night, I will wake up the next morning with grease, clean pillowcase and all. If I wash my hair in the morning, it's fine until I go to bed... same issue the next morning. It's the strangest thing.

Here's a rundown of my routine, in case there's something that may be contributing to it:

WCC (clarifying wash every wash, because...grease. & two cone-free conditioners finger-combed through the lengths only).
LOC (Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, (rarely) aloe gel, Garnier anti-frizz serum), once that's all in my hair, then I squeeze out the excess water/product with my hands.
Then I put my hair up in a turbie twist for 30-45 minutes, then leave it down to air dry. Then I'll braid it or bun it.

I guess a few extra things:

I sleep on a cotton pillowcase, and silk pillowcases/sleep caps further exasperate the problem.
Work has gotten stressful, but that's only recently... this has been going on for quite some time now.
I finger comb, but I always have washed and dried hands before doing so.
I do scalp washes in between the greasy days when I just can't take it.
If it has to do with how I'm sleeping—I sleep with a cocoon of blankets because my husband likes it frigid when he sleeps. I'm not a restless sleeper, but I do sleep on my tummy or my side.

I don't know what's suddenly causing this, but it's getting really irritating having to wash my hair so often. I really don't want to rely on dry shampoo again, because that only helps for a few hours and then it looks even worse! Hopefully you guys might have an answer, because I sure don't :justy:

animetor7
September 20th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Did you have these grease issues before using a clarifying wash with every wash? Sometimes over-drying skin (scalp, face, wherever) can cause an increase in oil production as a reaction. It's not always the case, but if you didn't have these issues before clarifying so often, it'd be a place to start.

Entangled
September 20th, 2016, 07:32 PM
I'm sorry I don't have an answer...I'm in the same boat as you. Do you wash at morning or night? I do find that washing in the morning give me more "functional" time with clean hair. I'll be washing this thread for answers too...

vampyyri
September 20th, 2016, 07:45 PM
Did you have these grease issues before using a clarifying wash with every wash? Sometimes over-drying skin (scalp, face, wherever) can cause an increase in oil production as a reaction. It's not always the case, but if you didn't have these issues before clarifying so often, it'd be a place to start.

I've been clarifying my hair for about six months now and was able to stretch to 3-4 days between full washes. This also happened when I was sulfate free as well, only my hair would get greasy shortly after washing it (8-10 hours) towards the end of my use of it.

I'm sorry I don't have an answer...I'm in the same boat as you. Do you wash at morning or night? I do find that washing in the morning give me more "functional" time with clean hair. I'll be washing this thread for answers too...

I do both depending on when I have time. Morning washes are my good days too, nightly washes just mean a really strict/slicked back bun the next day... I'm doomed for one tomorrow, as I just washed my hair :(

Vanilla
September 20th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Are you sweating at night? I was sweating at night, mostly from my head and had similar issues.

I was extremely vitamin D deficient, and apparently head sweating is a side effect. I've been supplementing recently, and it's been helping.

animetor7
September 20th, 2016, 07:50 PM
I've been clarifying my hair for about six months now and was able to stretch to 3-4 days between full washes. This also happened when I was sulfate free as well, only my hair would get greasy shortly after washing it (8-10 hours) towards the end of my use of it.

Hmm that's interesting. I would check out what Vanilla suggested to see if that could be the problem. If not, I would go see a doctor or dermatologist, it seems something has changed rather quickly in your scalp's sebum production rate. That's odd. Good luck!!!

Rowdy
September 20th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Has there been any recent change in how much your scalp hair gets manipulated? An increase in how much my follicles get moved around (fingers/BBB/combing/changing hairdos frequently/etc) is the only thing I've found that changes my oil production.

vampyyri
September 20th, 2016, 08:00 PM
Are you sweating at night? I was sweating at night, mostly from my head and had similar issues.

I was extremely vitamin D deficient, and apparently head sweating is a side effect. I've been supplementing recently, and it's been helping.

Interesting... I've been taking a multivitamin to help with my iron levels, vitamin D, and B12 (vegetarian). I only started last week so perhaps if that was the issue, it's too soon to tell if it's helping? I do sweat a bit when I sleep, but I do need all of those blankets/heavy PJs as I have a really hard time staying warm (Raynaud's Phenomenon). It's strange that it's so sudden though, this has been happening over the past month.

Hmm that's interesting. I would check out what Vanilla suggested to see if that could be the problem. If not, I would go see a doctor or dermatologist, it seems something has changed rather quickly in your scalp's sebum production rate. That's odd. Good luck!!!

I did recently go to a dermatologist to get a scalp cyst removed, I wonder if this is a really weird side effect of that? :ponder: that was about 2-3 months ago now... strange indeed.

Has there been any recent change in how much your scalp hair gets manipulated? An increase in how much my follicles get moved around (fingers/BBB/combing/changing hairdos frequently/etc) is the only thing I've found that changes my oil production.

Not particularly, other than throwing my hair up in a bun or braiding daily for the past two months. I finger comb and touch my hair with clean hands to cut down on excess oil. Once it's up, I don't touch it until I take it down for my sleep braid.

pailin
September 20th, 2016, 08:23 PM
I wash daily, because of the greasies. I wash at night and it used to be pretty bad by 3pm or so. For me, switching to a lightwwight, harsh, non-moisturizing shampoo helped a lot- now I could probably try stretching washes to every other day if I really wanted to. But if there's a sudden change, maybe something is up, like a vitamin thing. Or something in your diet, or stress?

CarrotTop
September 20th, 2016, 09:21 PM
How do you wrap your hair in the turbie twist? If the ends of your hair are piled close to your scalp, then that might be part of your issue. I feel like when I pile my damp hair on top of my head, the leave-in conditioner and serum transfer to my scalp and make it much greasier. :shrug:

Sarahlabyrinth
September 20th, 2016, 09:26 PM
Do you use diluted shampoo or full strength? Full strength can strip the scalp clean and it then over-compensates by over producing sebum.

vampyyri
September 20th, 2016, 09:40 PM
I wash daily, because of the greasies. I wash at night and it used to be pretty bad by 3pm or so. For me, switching to a lightwwight, harsh, non-moisturizing shampoo helped a lot- now I could probably try stretching washes to every other day if I really wanted to. But if there's a sudden change, maybe something is up, like a vitamin thing. Or something in your diet, or stress?

It very well might be stress the more I think about it... but the stress is really recent so I'm not so sure. It's definitely making it worse. Diet is the same as it's always been, lots of veggies with some carbs and proteins sprinkled in. I need to be more adamant about taking my new multivitamin too, I keep forgetting in the morning :doh: It's so high in B vitamins that if I take it mid-day I'm pretty sure I wouldn't sleep.

How do you wrap your hair in the turbie twist? If the ends of your hair are piled close to your scalp, then that might be part of your issue. I feel like when I pile my damp hair on top of my head, the leave-in conditioner and serum transfer to my scalp and make it much greasier. :shrug:

The turbie twist twists in such a way that the lengths don't touch my roots, they're in their own wrapped towel tube, if you will. I would think it's my pillowcase with my leave-ins, but since I've been using one pillow case twice (one night on each side) and then changing it, I'm really baffled.

Do you use diluted shampoo or full strength? Full strength can strip the scalp clean and it then over-compensates by over producing sebum.

Full strength, Suave Daily clarifying—daily in either a full wash or scalp only wash. I'm not so sure that I can cut back, the amount is truly ridiculous. I could try that next wash to use half the amount I usually do and see if that does anything though.

ETA: I wish there was a simple answer, it's got me as boggled as you guys are :wail:

mizukitty
September 20th, 2016, 09:56 PM
This is me right now. 24 hours after washing, without fail, my roots are insanely greasy. Even after using a clarifying, sulfate shampoo. Most of my washes are CO washes, and sulfate free poo washes. I'm going to just blame it on hormones. My forehead is also really greasy, as well as nose and chin. Most of the time it's fine and under control, but for the past month or so, it's just oil central.

poli
September 20th, 2016, 11:09 PM
Dear vampyyri I'm still new to LHC and still tend to experiment a lot. If I run into some kind of a problem (increased itching, greasiness, shedding) the thing that works best is going back to basics - just a fav shampoo (diluted) and conditioner, no additional oils, leave-ins, rinses etc.

Nadine <3
September 20th, 2016, 11:15 PM
Hormones maybe? They could be slightly imbalanced. I know for me, I turn into a bucket of grease during PMS and during my period.

Obsidian
September 20th, 2016, 11:40 PM
I would try putting in all the leave in's after your hair is partially dry. If it's still wet enough to ring out, I bet they are all migrating to your scalp.

I have something very similar happen whenever I get conditioner, oil, balms, etc near my scalp. It just goes flat and greasy within hours.

If it's be particularly bad, I'll even skip conditioner and just use vinegar.

Shepherdess
September 20th, 2016, 11:58 PM
When you do the WCC and LOC method, do you only apply the conditioners/creams to your length? I find that when I get conditioners and creams a little bit too close to my head (even if it only slightly touches, and even though I rinse it off), sometimes it reacts a bit and my scalp seems to produce more oil than normal afterwards because of that. I usually have to lather my shampoo into my scalp and leave it in while I condition the hair that is a bit closer to my head to prevent a reaction (though I also only use a very mild shampoo, so this is probably why I sometimes have trouble). Though might not be related either. Others have made good suggestions too; it is hard to know always what is the cause. I hope that you are able to figure out what is going on and it becomes more manageable for you! :flower:

Shiranshoku
September 21st, 2016, 01:46 AM
I hope you figure out the cause and solution soon, I can imagine it being quite frustrating!

Myself, I notice a huge increase in oiliness when I wash too often, and a huge decrease when I've done a scalp oiliing.
Which sounds contradictory, but it works for me. :-)

Sapeli
September 21st, 2016, 04:22 AM
I mainly WO and it has helped a great deal with scalp oiliness. My hair is going through phases and it has it's ups and downs, like at the moment it is hard to predict how the hair settles when dry. Sometimes it is wavy, sometimes not that much. Sometimes it may still be a little oily and sometime not. Today hair is clean, but not very wavy, luckily it is still quite nice. I'm not a puritanist as I use hair tonics and leave-in sprays, but I try to stick to WO as much as possible to find out if that is really working (or not).

What I've found working quite well for light morning oiliness/sweatiness is to massage a small amount of herbal tonic (Weleda Rosemary revitalizing hair tonic or Dr Hauschka revitalizing hair&scalp lotion) into the scalp. That might solve the whole thing. These contain alcohol and if that is an issue, then this might not be the right solution for you. Anyway these tonics are not drying.

If the roots are still oily, then I rub a very small amount of Dr Hauschka silk powder into the roots and they stay fresh for about 2 days. I use my finger tips or a big powder brush. That is not a dry shampoo, but more like a body talc without talc, and I'm really fond of it. Been using it for years.

Sorry if this sounds like advertising, but I just wanted to share what has worked for me. Somebody may want to try.

HairPlease
September 21st, 2016, 05:34 AM
It may be product migrating to your scalp while your hair is wet/damp or sweaty. It may also be hormone related. I know my scalp gets way greasier if I put leave-ins on when my hair is wet, so there's some validity to that theory.

Mamabearme
September 21st, 2016, 06:02 AM
This is me right now. 24 hours after washing, without fail, my roots are insanely greasy. Even after using a clarifying, sulfate shampoo. Most of my washes are CO washes, and sulfate free poo washes. I'm going to just blame it on hormones. My forehead is also really greasy, as well as nose and chin. Most of the time it's fine and under control, but for the past month or so, it's just oil central.

For me, every spring and fall I get greasy. Scalp, face, neck and chest. It never manages to reach my hands, they switch to extra dry.

I've recently been able to stretch washes to once a week, and I'm not ready to change that because of a greasy scalp. I'm just hanging in, dealing with it until it lightens up. Once the weather settles down and we have more cold than warm, it'll go away, for me at least.

Vampyyri, I'd think it was the harsh shampoo that would be making things worse for you. Maybe try something different, and try to go with the greasy flow for an extra day as often as you can. Good luck!

lapushka
September 21st, 2016, 06:04 AM
Here's a rundown of my routine, in case there's something that may be contributing to it:

WCC (clarifying wash every wash, because...grease. & two cone-free conditioners finger-combed through the lengths only).
LOC (Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, (rarely) aloe gel, Garnier anti-frizz serum), once that's all in my hair, then I squeeze out the excess water/product with my hands.
Then I put my hair up in a turbie twist for 30-45 minutes, then leave it down to air dry. Then I'll braid it or bun it.

Is this recent? That's odd. How much did you have to wash before? And do you put your LOC products in high up or midway the lengths (like I do). I never let LOC products touch my scalp.

I would just S/C for the next few washes and see what that does.

arr
September 21st, 2016, 06:19 AM
Sounds like it could be hormonal. Sometimes it's just a phase the hormones go through, or it could have something to do with birth control. Did you recently change/get off birth control methods? When I got off the pill several years ago my sebum went into massive overproduction.

JustPam
September 21st, 2016, 06:34 AM
I second that the constant clarifying wont be helping, even if it isn't the cause. Get a shampoo with a medium amount of sulfate, don't go from one extreme to the other. Also maybe try a lighter leave in, heavy product on the lengths can add to the greasy look.

meteor
September 21st, 2016, 07:28 AM
The first thing I'd try in this situation is skip WCC and especially LOC - those are really excellent for dry hair and for curl/wave definition, but I'd try to skip that in an "oil slick" situation and see how the hair reacts to simple clarifying shampoo and a small amount of very light conditioner on ends only.
It's just that product can be easily transferred along the hair shaft (especially from combing/brushing and at night, when hair is sometimes bunched together over a pillow), and that LOC with gel and serum and curling cream would be the first suspect for me, personally.

Also, shampoos with salicylic acid (often marketed for oily scalps, e.g. SheaMoisture Black Soap Deep Cleansing, Neutrogena T/Sal, etc) and with absorbent ingredients like clay, for example (e.g. Garnier Ultra Doux Lemon & Soft Clay, etc) can be pretty good for controlling excessive oil.

Scalp-only washes are also a good step to help wash away excessive oil with diluted shampoo and tide you over between full washes.

lapushka
September 21st, 2016, 07:34 AM
The first thing I'd try in this situation is skip WCC and especially LOC - those are really excellent for dry hair and for curl/wave definition, but I'd try to skip that in an "oil slick" situation and see how the hair reacts to simple clarifying shampoo and a small amount of very light conditioner on ends only.

Err, I have oily hair and do WCC + LOC. And I have no issues with it.

I also weekly clarify, and have no issues with it, JustPam.

But I would recommend a S/C regimen for the time being.

meteor
September 21st, 2016, 08:01 AM
^ We may be referring to somewhat different situations then, lapushka. :) If one can regularly do oil rinses, WCC, LOC and go a whole week without washing scalp without any issues, I just wouldn't call that an "oil slick" hair situation, personally :flower:, especially compared to people who feel the need to use SLS/SLES shampoo daily or else hair looks perpetually "wet". But that could be just a difference in our reference points for oily vs. dry, it's no biggie. :flower:

lapushka
September 21st, 2016, 09:23 AM
^ We may be referring to somewhat different situations then, lapushka. :) If one can regularly do oil rinses, WCC, LOC and go a whole week without washing scalp without any issues, I just wouldn't call that an "oil slick" hair situation, personally :flower:, especially compared to people who feel the need to use SLS/SLES shampoo daily or else hair looks perpetually "wet". But that could be just a difference in our reference points for oily vs. dry, it's no biggie. :flower:

I am oily, though, and have only been able to stretch with added length. Pixie? I need to wash 2/3 x a week, BSL 2x. So my scalp isn't "normal" or "dry".

Just be glad you don't see me at the end of the week. ;) :p

JustPam
September 21st, 2016, 09:41 AM
Well of course everyone is different and with all factors considered YMMV, but generally speaking washing regularly with high sulfate shampoo can cause over production of sebum to compensate. If it was me then lower sulfates and less product would be the first thing I'd try.

vampyyri
September 21st, 2016, 05:34 PM
Is this recent? That's odd. How much did you have to wash before? And do you put your LOC products in high up or midway the lengths (like I do). I never let LOC products touch my scalp.

I would just S/C for the next few washes and see what that does.

It is recent. I've been able to stretch 2-3 days without too much of a problem until suddenly, I'm back at my daily oil slick all of a sudden. My LOC products are from the shoulders down.
I'll try a plain old S/C next time I wash (I was greasy again this morning, so I'm going to stretch until tomorrow morning) to see if it helps any. Perhaps the double C is what could be doing it?

Sounds like it could be hormonal. Sometimes it's just a phase the hormones go through, or it could have something to do with birth control. Did you recently change/get off birth control methods? When I got off the pill several years ago my sebum went into massive overproduction.

I've been on the same BC for the past two and a half years, so that can't be it. I am really stressed out though, and I'm noticing the more stressed I am, the more I break out/get oily on my face, which surely means my scalp too.
I have went from needing four oil blotting sheets a day to a number where I don't even count anymore... with an oil-controlling foundation/primer/setting powder :(

It's just that product can be easily transferred along the hair shaft (especially from combing/brushing and at night, when hair is sometimes bunched together over a pillow), and that LOC with gel and serum and curling cream would be the first suspect for me, personally.

Also, shampoos with salicylic acid (often marketed for oily scalps, e.g. SheaMoisture Black Soap Deep Cleansing, Neutrogena T/Sal, etc) and with absorbent ingredients like clay, for example (e.g. Garnier Ultra Doux Lemon & Soft Clay, etc) can be pretty good for controlling excessive oil.

Scalp-only washes are also a good step to help wash away excessive oil with diluted shampoo and tide you over between full washes.

Oh goodness, I can't imagine skipping out of my LOC. WCC yes, but... LOC is what's making my lengths managable :( I suppose I could try it tomorrow morning.
I do need to go shampoo shopping again, I'll keep an eye out for those types of shampoos, because in a way I'm wondering if my hair is simply "used to" my Suave daily clarifying now. That very well could be it too. It's been a good 6 months, but my shampoo can't get my scalp clean enough with the added stress.

In fact, I'm so stressed out from work today that I literally feel nauseous/have chest pain, and I've been home for at least a half an hour. I guess I will need to change up my routine a bit to combat it... I hope I can go back to my normal routine soon once work calms back down. I'm betting that it is stress at the end of the day... but I'm willing to work with what I have right now to love my hair again.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions/observations, now I have A LOT of things to try that I never would have thought to do... again, MASSIVE thank you!! :flower:

Decoy24601
September 21st, 2016, 05:37 PM
I've been on the same BC for the past two and a half years, so that can't be it. I am really stressed out though, and I'm noticing the more stressed I am, the more I break out/get oily on my face, which surely means my scalp too.
I have went from needing four oil blotting sheets a day to a number where I don't even count anymore :(

I actually agree that it's probably hormonal, and you can still have major hormonal fluctuations while on hormonal birth control pills or any kind hormone therapy, even after having been on it for years and years.

animetor7
September 21st, 2016, 05:38 PM
I'm sorry work is so stressful!!! Maybe take a nice long soak in a tub or read a good book or something too!! :grouphug: :flower:

trolleypup
September 21st, 2016, 06:25 PM
Sounds like your scalp is overproducing due to being stripped frequently. I'd try a heavily diluted shampoo squirted to the roots and scalp, then gentle agitation. It should be dilute enough that your hair should just barely feel slippery and there should be minimal suds/foam. Rinse your scalp thoroughly (I learned that figuring out scalp anger). If there isn't a lot of products on your hair, the rinse from this scalp part of the wash should clean your length fairly well. Even if you do need to wash your length, better to do a lighter wash rather than stripping it.

Hope you can find a routine that gets your scalp in a better place.

lora410
September 21st, 2016, 06:26 PM
Could it be hormonal? Pregnancy,changes in period? Anything you added or took away in your diet? Sorry if someone may have already mentioned these as I didn't read whole thread. :grouphug:

vampyyri
September 21st, 2016, 06:55 PM
Could it be hormonal? Pregnancy,changes in period? Anything you added or took away in your diet? Sorry if someone may have already mentioned these as I didn't read whole thread. :grouphug:

God I hope it's not pregnancy (highly unlikely with my recent habits and not being in the mood and all while being on BC) :shudder: No symptoms at all, just had my monthly gift a week ago. That has been the same since I got accustomed to the pill, barely any period to speak of other than heavy spotting dwindling down to light spotting (haven't bought feminine products in years)
My diet is kind of shifting to more of a macronutrient ratio of 40% carbs, 40% fat and 20% protein (I track on myfitnesspal) I'm vegetarian, so I do need the carbs for energy. But my fat macro has jumped up in the way of comfort foods... aka put cheese on all the things :cheese: not too out of control though. Still in my healthy range of calories and all.

Crystawni
September 21st, 2016, 06:58 PM
vampyyri, I found recently that if I damp bun before bed, or my hair gets damp when bunned (sweat, rain, etc.), I get a greasy under-bun spot that travels over my scalp within hours. I'm guessing a hot head + dampness = humidity and are doing me no favours, so now I refrain from any damp updos. I also find clarifying ups my oil production, so stick to gentle cleansing when needed.

vampyyri
September 21st, 2016, 07:01 PM
Sounds like your scalp is overproducing due to being stripped frequently. I'd try a heavily diluted shampoo squirted to the roots and scalp, then gentle agitation. It should be dilute enough that your hair should just barely feel slippery and there should be minimal suds/foam. Rinse your scalp thoroughly (I learned that figuring out scalp anger). If there isn't a lot of products on your hair, the rinse from this scalp part of the wash should clean your length fairly well. Even if you do need to wash your length, better to do a lighter wash rather than stripping it.

Hope you can find a routine that gets your scalp in a better place.

Thank you, I will try this with a normal S/C tomorrow morning to see if it helps!

vampyyri
September 21st, 2016, 07:03 PM
vampyyri, I found recently that if I damp bun before bed, or my hair gets damp when bunned (sweat, rain, etc.), I get a greasy under-bun spot that travels over my scalp within hours. I'm guessing a hot head + dampness = humidity and are doing me no favours, so now I refrain from any damp updos. I also find clarifying ups my oil production, so stick to gentle cleansing when needed.

:hmm: that could be it too... I've been going to bed with damp hair lately since I haven't had time to wash in the mornings. I get home at 8 instead of my usual 6—when I got home earlier it wasn't an issue... I wonder.

So many variables, what could it beee :justy:

SparrowWings
September 21st, 2016, 08:33 PM
I've been on the same BC for the past two and a half years, so that can't be it.
All the things to try that I might have suggested have already been said, but I just wanted to point out that even the same drug can have different results sometimes. I wouldn't expect it to be as drastic/fast as what you're describing, but it could still be a factor. For my part, I was on the same BC for years, and eventually realized it was probably the cause of the worsening migraines I started having monthly in the last year or so of using it, but when I stopped using it, within two months I wasn't even getting mild monthly headaches anymore. And I know people with mental health issues report their meds needing to change periodically because they just stop working. Though I wouldn't go to the extent of fooling with BC that works for you just to hope it helps with the oil slick, unless you have absolutely no other easier options left to try, so this probably isn't too helpful as a comment!

lapushka
September 22nd, 2016, 04:22 AM
It is recent. I've been able to stretch 2-3 days without too much of a problem until suddenly, I'm back at my daily oil slick all of a sudden. My LOC products are from the shoulders down.
I'll try a plain old S/C next time I wash (I was greasy again this morning, so I'm going to stretch until tomorrow morning) to see if it helps any. Perhaps the double C is what could be doing it?

Could always be. Might be that you can just do with S/C only, and that's fine too. Only one way to find out. My lengths are *dry*, and I mean *really* dry, but my scalp isn't exactly that, and WCC is a good thing for me, but it might be too much for you.

And I agree with the others that it might be hormonal too, but try and at least exclude the obvious things first. ;)

ravenheather
September 22nd, 2016, 04:33 AM
My first thought is try no serum.

PixieP
September 22nd, 2016, 06:00 AM
I feel like my scalp produces less oil if I finish a shower by rinsing my hair and scalp in cold water. I flip my hair upside-down and give my scalp and hair a good cold rinse to get out my conditioner. In winter I usually don't do that because brrrrr, cold, don't want more cold! But I also think that my hair get greasier faster in winter. It doesn't hurt to try; the cold water helps close the hair follicles so it's protective for the hair. And honestly I find the cold rinse of the scalp soothing and relaxing.

lapushka
September 22nd, 2016, 06:40 AM
When I get my hair washed with WCC, it gets sudsed up twice. Sudsed up once then *slightly* rinsed out and sudsed up again with the remaining lather. Works like a charm and it helped me prolong my washes. Maybe try that?

vampyyri
September 22nd, 2016, 08:18 AM
Could always be. Might be that you can just do with S/C only, and that's fine too. Only one way to find out. My lengths are *dry*, and I mean *really* dry, but my scalp isn't exactly that, and WCC is a good thing for me, but it might be too much for you.

And I agree with the others that it might be hormonal too, but try and at least exclude the obvious things first. ;)

It was working so nicely, my lengths were really happy on WCC :(

My first thought is try no serum.

I skipped my LOC entirely today!

I feel like my scalp produces less oil if I finish a shower by rinsing my hair and scalp in cold water. I flip my hair upside-down and give my scalp and hair a good cold rinse to get out my conditioner. In winter I usually don't do that because brrrrr, cold, don't want more cold! But I also think that my hair get greasier faster in winter. It doesn't hurt to try; the cold water helps close the hair follicles so it's protective for the hair. And honestly I find the cold rinse of the scalp soothing and relaxing.

I'm a bit of a woos when it comes to cold water rinses, but it would be something on the list to try for sure!

When I get my hair washed with WCC, it gets sudsed up twice. Sudsed up once then *slightly* rinsed out and sudsed up again with the remaining lather. Works like a charm and it helped me prolong my washes. Maybe try that?

This is along the lines of what I did today actually. My scalp feels super clean because I was able to throughly work the lather through, and lightly scritched with my nails to really get the hard to reach spots (the underside of my hair mainly).

What I did: Shampooed as normal, and really lathered it all the way through my scalp and down to my ends to reset. I skipped my detangling conditioner (V05 Strawberry) and went right for my second/thicker one (Suave Green Apple). I figured I'd use the moisturizing one since I was skipping on my LOC today. If my hair greases up with the Suave, then I will use the V05 next wash instead and see what happens. No LOC, as much as it stinks.

Observations: Strangely enough, my hair still looks "good", albeit a bit dry at the ends. If anything, it feels strangely weightless, and my side swept bangs are straight out of the 80s :rollin:! So much volume!! My hair was resistant to finger combing in some spots, and I missed the slip that I got from my serum.

If this works, then I could try adding things back in one-by-one to really narrow down the culprit. If it doesn't work... who knows :shrug:

I'll report back tomorrow morning to see if this clean and featherlight feeling lasts through sleeping :rolleyes:

lapushka
September 22nd, 2016, 08:25 AM
Sounds promising. :)

meteor
September 22nd, 2016, 09:33 AM
It was working so nicely, my lengths were really happy on WCC :(

I skipped my LOC entirely today!

I'm a bit of a woos when it comes to cold water rinses, but it would be something on the list to try for sure!

This is along the lines of what I did today actually. My scalp feels super clean because I was able to throughly work the lather through, and lightly scritched with my nails to really get the hard to reach spots (the underside of my hair mainly).

What I did: Shampooed as normal, and really lathered it all the way through my scalp and down to my ends to reset. I skipped my detangling conditioner (V05 Strawberry) and went right for my second/thicker one (Suave Green Apple). I figured I'd use the moisturizing one since I was skipping on my LOC today. If my hair greases up with the Suave, then I will use the V05 next wash instead and see what happens. No LOC, as much as it stinks.

Observations: Strangely enough, my hair still looks "good", albeit a bit dry at the ends. If anything, it feels strangely weightless, and my side swept bangs are straight out of the 80s :rollin:! So much volume!! My hair was resistant to finger combing in some spots, and I missed the slip that I got from my serum.

If this works, then I could try adding things back in one-by-one to really narrow down the culprit. If it doesn't work... who knows :shrug:

I'll report back tomorrow morning to see if this clean and featherlight feeling lasts through sleeping :rolleyes:

Sounds great! :thumbsup: I really hope all this reduction in emollient & leave-in type of products and the simplifying of the routine will continue working and will help manage the oiliness a bit! :cheer:

vampyyri
September 22nd, 2016, 09:51 AM
Just saw something interesting online:

Generally, nausea comes from the release of epinephrine, more commonly known as "adrenaline." This disrupts the acids, enzymes, and functions of your stomach and intestine, which leads to nausea-related symptoms. Anxiety can also make it more difficult for your body to process food. That's why many people with anxiety have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), which also causes nausea.Both anxiety and stress also have an effect on hormones, which regulate the acids and enzymes in your stomach and gut. Stress can also cause muscle tension in your abdomen, and that added tension may be squeezing your stomach in a way that leads to anxiety.

Hormone imbalance occurs when you are overly stressed or anxious, and before or during that time of the month. When the level of androgens (hormones) increases, which happens when you’re experiencing a hormone imbalance, this puts your body in a slightly stressed state, making the glands in your scalp produce more oil.

So it very well could be that it's stress triggered. I'm to the point where I'm so nauseated that I didn't eat breakfast or bring a lunch to work today... hopefully things slow down soon, my body can't take this for too much longer. It's caused me to be bloated, I've lost my appetite, I'm not sleeping well... and it seems that oil is another symptom.

meteor
September 22nd, 2016, 10:31 AM
^ Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe I missed it... but have you already seen a doctor about your symptoms and did you get your bloodwork done?
Excessive oiliness could be a symptom of many different issues, so it would be nice to see what's going on... (while still managing excessive oiliness with more cleansing and absorbent and less emollient type of products/routines)

hobbitlocks
September 22nd, 2016, 12:44 PM
I know when I'm stressed my scalp gets oilier quicker than usual (I also get nauseous, etc). For me, it seems to be worse when it's the kind of stressful even that causes me to interact with a lot of people, but it also might be that I only care if I have to interact with people.... others above have given other suggestions you should look into, but if you start to think the culprit is stress I would probably just use some dry shampoo to help ride out this period of stress, then give yourself a good clarify when it's over and hopefully be back to your normal routine. :flower: :grouphug:

mizukitty
September 22nd, 2016, 12:49 PM
Just saw something interesting online:

So it very well could be that it's stress triggered. I'm to the point where I'm so nauseated that I didn't eat breakfast or bring a lunch to work today... hopefully things slow down soon, my body can't take this for too much longer. It's caused me to be bloated, I've lost my appetite, I'm not sleeping well... and it seems that oil is another symptom.

I'm so sorry you're feeling terrible! I hope you get to a better place soon. Have you tried something like guided meditation? Or some exercise? Nice warm bath with some aromatherapy? I still think it's stress related entirely, especially if your face is also showing symptoms of oiliness. Big, warm hugs for you!

lora410
September 22nd, 2016, 02:16 PM
Well I can tell you no period for yrs can't be good. My gyno says not having one after 3 months isn't normal. I can tell you when I start fish oil my face is bit more oily and I have to wash scalp more often also the skin around my nails are no longer dry and peeling. so if you did up your fat intake as of recent that could be it!

vampyyri
September 22nd, 2016, 03:57 PM
Well I can tell you no period for yrs can't be good. My gyno says not having one after 3 months isn't normal. I can tell you when I start fish oil my face is bit more oily and I have to wash scalp more often also the skin around my nails are no longer dry and peeling. so if you did up your fat intake as of recent that could be it!

Well, I do have one... it's just medium/light spotting, only when I use the bathroom (sorry if that's tmi).

I suppose the higher fat could be doing it... but with my recent stress/loss of appetite and not really eating unless my husband makes me, I don't think that would attribute to it. I've done high fat/low carb diets trying to get into ketosis and my scalp never misbehaved like this. :(

ephemeri
September 22nd, 2016, 05:47 PM
Vampyyri, how did your hair/scalp do today without the LOC? I'm reading this thread wondering if you noticed anything different!

I wish I could offer advice but everything I've thought of has been suggested already. :blossom:

vampyyri
September 23rd, 2016, 07:26 AM
Vampyyri, how did your hair/scalp do today without the LOC? I'm reading this thread wondering if you noticed anything different!

I wish I could offer advice but everything I've thought of has been suggested already. :blossom:

My hair was really dry and was really parched when I took it down from my bun to braid it. My scalp seemed fine last night, but it always acts the way it does because products never make it that far up.

Reporting back:
I woke up this morning with an oil slick again. I'm at a loss... that was just regular S/C, it wasn't my WCC or LOC doing it.
It has to be stress, It really couldn't be anything else at this point. I suppose I either have to live with it or rely on dry shampoo or something. This isn't going to get better until I get proper relief—I shouldn't be so wound up that I don't eat unless I'm forced to :(

lapushka
September 23rd, 2016, 07:34 AM
V, getting proper nutrients is key to having healthy hair. Maybe it's your distorted eating pattern that is doing it and bringing with it its own imbalances. :flower: I don't know. Not eating right and overlooking that can lead to all sorts of issues (says someone who bordered on anorexia as a young teen).

vampyyri
September 23rd, 2016, 07:46 AM
V, getting proper nutrients is key to having healthy hair. Maybe it's your distorted eating pattern that is doing it and bringing with it its own imbalances. :flower: I don't know. Not eating right and overlooking that can lead to all sorts of issues (says someone who bordered on anorexia as a young teen).

I would, but I literally can't bring myself to eat. I'm so wound up that I'm teetering between being nauseated if I'm hungry or just losing my appetite altogether. I've tried to take my usual L-Theanine for stress, but apparently I'm so wound up that it isn't helping.

I've been eating at night in the way of a carb-y dinner (last night was some garlic bread), because at least I can get that down. My husband is the reason why I'm eating at all, he won't let me go to bed "hungry" (but I'm not hungry at all).

This whole thing has to be stress, I can feel myself on the verge of tears and screaming underneath the numb feeling. I think the oily scalp is just another thing to stress me out and add to the problem... so perhaps I shouldn't worry about it and just let it do its thing until this whole mess is over.

ETA: By golly this went from Mane Forum material to needing to be in the Mental Health Awareness thread real quick. Sorry guys.

Nimia
September 23rd, 2016, 08:07 AM
Dairy is known to increase sebum production, so perhaps your increase in cheese consumption can take some of the blame. Maybe.

My own hair has been behaving similarly for the past few weeks, which I put down either to seasonal change, or to having spent the end of summer eating way more dairy than usual. Usually, I keep it out of my diet since there's a clear tie for me between cheese and ice cream, and a lumpy bumpy chin. And, apparently, greasy hair. YMMV, though, as they say.

Edited to add: And yes to what others are saying about fats being related to sebum production. "Hyperglycemic carbs" as well. Search on diet and acne on PubMed and you'll get lots of results talking about it; the oiliness related to acne can -- I think -- be extended to talking about an oily scalp.

spidermom
September 23rd, 2016, 08:07 AM
I have noticed in the past that when I eat more fats, my scalp gets more oily. If I restrict fats too much, my sebum gets more tacky. There's definitely an optimum balance to be sought.

When I have a case of the greasies, I will wash my hair from a leaning forward position, hair falling toward my feet. After wetting it, I massage and/or comb conditioner through my length, avoiding my scalp, carefully and thoroughly, then rinse it out. Then I apply diluted shampoo to scalp area with a squirt bottle and comb over my scalp with my wide-tooth shower comb. When I am sure I have combed over the entire scalp, I rinse. Sometimes I will follow this with leave-in conditioner to bottom half of length only, sometimes not.

Oh - another factor I don't see mentioned is cleaning your brush and/or comb after combing through oily hair. Otherwise previous oil is re-deposited into clean hair, which is part of the reason that I comb over my scalp after applying diluted shampoo.

lapushka
September 23rd, 2016, 09:04 AM
I have noticed in the past that when I eat more fats, my scalp gets more oily. If I restrict fats too much, my sebum gets more tacky. There's definitely an optimum balance to be sought.

When I have a case of the greasies, I will wash my hair from a leaning forward position, hair falling toward my feet. After wetting it, I massage and/or comb conditioner through my length, avoiding my scalp, carefully and thoroughly, then rinse it out. Then I apply diluted shampoo to scalp area with a squirt bottle and comb over my scalp with my wide-tooth shower comb. When I am sure I have combed over the entire scalp, I rinse. Sometimes I will follow this with leave-in conditioner to bottom half of length only, sometimes not.

Oh - another factor I don't see mentioned is cleaning your brush and/or comb after combing through oily hair. Otherwise previous oil is re-deposited into clean hair, which is part of the reason that I comb over my scalp after applying diluted shampoo.

I definitely have a different comb to comb out my freshly washed damp hair. I pre-wash comb with either my EIA comb or Hercules Sägemann comb and then my TT. Then after the wash I use my Hairsense WT comb; no more brushes until right before the next wash.

truepeacenik
September 23rd, 2016, 09:15 AM
What's funny, Spidermom, is I was wondering what brush (if Vampyri doesn't use boar bristle) would take that oil slick down to those poor ends.

To the lovely person who mentioned buns making oil spots, THANK YOU.
I just recently started a habit of letting my hair down during my break at work, and the oil spot is much lessened.

Vampyri, my hair will suddenly get oily. I've got years on you, but it started this dance right about your age.
I went to natures gate conditioner, and usually a natures gate shampoo, but that seemed to rotate with prices, but always a "hippie" shampoo (now it's Shikkai, by the gallon, dilute-only way that is affordable). I could go three days, but alternating was better.
My hair was at least MBL and usually waist-ish through those years. I had financial stress, relationship stress, a young kid, jobs and earn the degree stress. I danced those stresses out most weekends at concerts, meaning lots of sweat.
Looking back, sweating then washing was how I could start to stretch washes. Looking back, I wonder if sweat allowed the pores to clean out.

If I was in your shoes today, I would try:
--Wring the water out of the length before adding moisturizing product
--Waiting until my hair was about half dry to add the second conditioner, and only in the last six inches
--Fiddling with the shampoo- no sulfate, different dilutions, scheduling a clarifying wash alternating weeks (given the leave ins)
---clean, unused towel for hair each wash(again, given leave ins)

And that was to start.
I mentioned brushes.
I was given a BBB, likely a cheap one, and I still wouldn't buy one myself, but it was delightful for shine because those bristles pick up sebum where it's heavy and takes it to the, well, not ends for me, but close to waist, in a few strokes.
There are makers producing a plant based bristle to avoid plastic and animal parts.

PixieP
September 23rd, 2016, 12:58 PM
Try the cold rinse hon, you can take your body out of the shower and then just stick your head into the shower to do the cold rinse, and then stuff a towel around it at once so you don't get cold water on your body.

For your currently eating troubles. Can you manage to get some nuts down? Drink fruit juice or smoothies? Every little thing that helps your body get some nutrition! Try to find things that are easy to eat but gives your body important nutrients. A bowl of nuts on your desk so you can take a couple every now and then. Some small tomatoes, or grapes, also next to you so you can take one or two every now and then. A little bit of dark chocolate or some salty crackers can also help!

lora410
September 23rd, 2016, 01:11 PM
Reporting back:
I woke up this morning with an oil slick again. I'm at a loss... that was just regular S/C, it wasn't my WCC or LOC doing it.
It has to be stress, It really couldn't be anything else at this point. I suppose I either have to live with it or rely on dry shampoo or something. This isn't going to get better until I get proper relief—I shouldn't be so wound up that I don't eat unless I'm forced to :([/QUOTE]

I used not not eat as well, I never had an appetite and was 5'8"110lbs and just ick skinny. If your worried about not being hungry and not eating maybe a doctor could prescribe something that will give you an appetite? Is not being hungry a new thing? If so please goto a doc. Not trying to scare you but my gram as well as my father got like that when they had cancer, not saying you do but please goto a doctor :flowers:

lapushka
September 23rd, 2016, 01:36 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that on the eating issue... :( That's truly sad. I hope it resolves itself soon. Is something up besides stress, you think? Might be time to schedule that doctor's visit.

Anya15
September 23rd, 2016, 01:43 PM
I'm sorry you're going through such a hard time :(

:grouphug: I agree, I think you need to schedule a doctor's appointment.

lapushka
September 23rd, 2016, 02:37 PM
Could you be... pregnant? I'm just throwing it out there as the "easiest" explanation for the issues (eating, the hormones, the oil).

vampyyri
September 23rd, 2016, 03:53 PM
Could you be... pregnant? I'm just throwing it out there as the "easiest" explanation for the issues (eating, the hormones, the oil).

Trust me, I'm not... I had my monthly friend last week.

I believe it's stress related, because this reminds me of another tough time in my life. I would start off comfort eating, then just lose my appetite. It was a while ago, back when my hair was always greasy anyway, so I can't recall if it got worse or not.

Frisian
September 23rd, 2016, 04:44 PM
I would, but I literally can't bring myself to eat. I'm so wound up that I'm teetering between being nauseated if I'm hungry or just losing my appetite altogether. I've tried to take my usual L-Theanine for stress, but apparently I'm so wound up that it isn't helping.

I've been eating at night in the way of a carb-y dinner (last night was some garlic bread), because at least I can get that down. My husband is the reason why I'm eating at all, he won't let me go to bed "hungry" (but I'm not hungry at all).

This whole thing has to be stress, I can feel myself on the verge of tears and screaming underneath the numb feeling. I think the oily scalp is just another thing to stress me out and add to the problem... so perhaps I shouldn't worry about it and just let it do its thing until this whole mess is over.

ETA: By golly this went from Mane Forum material to needing to be in the Mental Health Awareness thread real quick. Sorry guys.

Hi Vampyyri,

I'm not very active around here but your story touched me as I've been on the same boat as you last June. As you I eat at first in stress and then just loose my appetite all together. I force myself to eat in these periods even though I get gagg reflux (dunno if it's spelled correctly) because not eating only causes a more stressed and anxious feeling. Also I would really recommend you escalating at ur work because it is very bad for your overall health to be so overly stressed for a long period of time, also keep in mind that when things do calm down at work your calmth will take as long to recover as it took you to 'break it down' (don't get me wrong, I mean that the time to build up this kind of stress level is mostly over a year or more and it will take this time to break it down to normal levels again). I don't know what kind of work you do but sometimes employers see ur effort now and expect you can continue this level if u don't state explicitly that it is too much. I hope you find a solution and don't take it too lightly! (can't do emoticons on my phone but sending digital hugs!)

Another quest regarding BC, are you on a pill or implant thingy? I ask because I've only heard of people with the implant having such minimal blood loss and recently a friend of mine had a lot if trouble with it because eventhough they are supposed to be good for 5yrs she had to have hers replaced after 3. She struggled with the same symptom as you for about 5 month before the doc thought of this. Anyway if ur on a pill this is all irrelevant but maybe someone else who experiences this may be helped with it.

Good luck with ur struggles and keep ur own health (mental and physical) in mind! :)

vampyyri
September 23rd, 2016, 06:21 PM
Hi Vampyyri,

I'm not very active around here but your story touched me as I've been on the same boat as you last June. As you I eat at first in stress and then just loose my appetite all together. I force myself to eat in these periods even though I get gagg reflux (dunno if it's spelled correctly) because not eating only causes a more stressed and anxious feeling. Also I would really recommend you escalating at ur work because it is very bad for your overall health to be so overly stressed for a long period of time, also keep in mind that when things do calm down at work your calmth will take as long to recover as it took you to 'break it down' (don't get me wrong, I mean that the time to build up this kind of stress level is mostly over a year or more and it will take this time to break it down to normal levels again). I don't know what kind of work you do but sometimes employers see ur effort now and expect you can continue this level if u don't state explicitly that it is too much. I hope you find a solution and don't take it too lightly! (can't do emoticons on my phone but sending digital hugs!)

Another quest regarding BC, are you on a pill or implant thingy? I ask because I've only heard of people with the implant having such minimal blood loss and recently a friend of mine had a lot if trouble with it because eventhough they are supposed to be good for 5yrs she had to have hers replaced after 3. She struggled with the same symptom as you for about 5 month before the doc thought of this. Anyway if ur on a pill this is all irrelevant but maybe someone else who experiences this may be helped with it.

Good luck with ur struggles and keep ur own health (mental and physical) in mind! :)

Aww thank you so much :grouphug:!

I'm on the pill, so I don't have that issue. I seriously relate to this, and it's so good to know that I'm not alone/not going crazy!! :lol: I talked to my work about getting either pay or time compensation for being this overworked, and they were willing to tack on extra vacation days so that when this crazy spell is over, I can properly relax. I actually prefer time over money in this case, because money doesn't make my stress go away (okay, some of it but you know what I mean).

Anya15
September 24th, 2016, 12:19 AM

This. Vampyyri, even if you had your monthly friend... Perhaps you should still check. My mom's friend didn't realise she was pregnant until the fourth month because she had a light, weird period for those few months and she just thought it was her period being wonky.

Frisian
September 24th, 2016, 02:24 AM
Aww thank you so much :grouphug:!

I'm on the pill, so I don't have that issue. I seriously relate to this, and it's so good to know that I'm not alone/not going crazy!! :lol: I talked to my work about getting either pay or time compensation for being this overworked, and they were willing to tack on extra vacation days so that when this crazy spell is over, I can properly relax. I actually prefer time over money in this case, because money doesn't make my stress go away (okay, some of it but you know what I mean).

:grouphug: I also got time compensation and it really is great to have 6-8 week back to back holiday! Best way to relax so I agree with you, money is great but time is better. Good to hear you are speaking up for yourself and they are willing to give some as well!

Henni
September 24th, 2016, 03:02 AM
Try the cold rinse hon, you can take your body out of the shower and then just stick your head into the shower to do the cold rinse, and then stuff a towel around it at once so you don't get cold water on your body.

I have raynaud's phenomenon and I can't stand cold at all. I just hate it.

vampyyri
September 24th, 2016, 07:52 AM
This. Vampyyri, even if you had your monthly friend... Perhaps you should still check. My mom's friend didn't realise she was pregnant until the fourth month because she had a light, weird period for those few months and she just thought it was her period being wonky.

Light periods/spotting are the norm for me on this BC pill (it's why I chose it), it's been the same for over two years. I'm 100% sure that I'm not... can everyone please stop mentioning this? It's making me more anxious and I frankly feel more wound up every time this is brought up.

I know you guys mean well, but it's really not what's going on here. Sorry if this is kind of brash, but it's making me uncomfortable at an already uncomfortable time. :(

Vanilla
September 24th, 2016, 08:20 AM
I have one other idea. Are you using any facial oil or a super heavy face moisturizer at night? If I use either, invariably the stuff migrates up towards my scalp and my head is an oil slick the next day.

lapushka
September 24th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Light periods/spotting are the norm for me on this BC pill (it's why I chose it), it's been the same for over two years. I'm 100% sure that I'm not... can everyone please stop mentioning this? It's making me more anxious and I frankly feel more wound up every time this is brought up.

I know you guys mean well, but it's really not what's going on here. Sorry if this is kind of brash, but it's making me uncomfortable at an already uncomfortable time. :(

It's only been mentioned by me and anou so far. Not by "everyone". Let it go if you don't want to think about it. :) :flower: Maybe it's all about the anxiety here right now, and we might be better migrating this discussion elsewhere? What do you think? :) :flower:

vampyyri
September 24th, 2016, 09:21 AM
I have one other idea. Are you using any facial oil or a super heavy face moisturizer at night? If I use either, invariably the stuff migrates up towards my scalp and my head is an oil slick the next day.

Nope, I don't use moisturizer at all. I usually use an acne cleanser at night after removing my makeup.

It's only been mentioned by me and anou so far. Not by "everyone". Let it go if you don't want to think about it. :) :flower: Maybe it's all about the anxiety here right now, and we might be better migrating this discussion elsewhere? What do you think? :) :flower:

I know... I'm just really wound up right now, I'm sorry :( Even my usual calming supplement isn't working, my insides just feel like they're in a giant knot. I don't feel hunger, I don't feel my stomach when I go to eat (been forcing myself to get some food in), it's like my insides have went numb from the stress.
It's overwhelming adding that as a factor for a few personal reasons... I took a test and it came out negative, so my mind is a little more at ease.

It is becoming more of a mental issue than an issue with my scalp unfortunately... I can't believe this amount of overworking is even legal!! I've literally done two months of work in less than two weeks (two clients didn't approve their media schedules until a lot was past-due or due immediately), complete redesigns/rebrandings from scratch, hundreds of advertisements... I pretend it's fine while I'm at work, but it's literally making me ill. I think my boss can see it which is why she's looking to hire someone part time to help me out. This is too much work for a mid-level designer to do. I'm the only one in my department, so she brought in temps to help, but they made it worse and I had to re-do their work anyway...

I've only ever been this tightly wound up once before, but for the life of me I don't remember what I did to relieve it. Perhaps visiting the in-laws tonight into tomorrow will make me feel better or at least take my mind off of everything for a while.

It's like this thread now belongs on the friendship board with a different title like "Severe stress, not feeling right"...

PixieP
September 24th, 2016, 09:23 AM
*hugs* You will get through this hon!

lapushka
September 24th, 2016, 09:34 AM
I know... I'm just really wound up right now, I'm sorry :( Even my usual calming supplement isn't working, my insides just feel like they're in a giant knot. I don't feel hunger, I don't feel my stomach when I go to eat (been forcing myself to get some food in), it's like my insides have went numb from the stress.
It's overwhelming adding that as a factor for a few personal reasons... I took a test and it came out negative, so my mind is a little more at ease.

It is becoming more of a mental issue than an issue with my scalp unfortunately... I can't believe this amount of overworking is even legal!! I've literally done two months of work in less than two weeks (two clients didn't approve their media schedules until a lot was past-due or due immediately), complete redesigns/rebrandings from scratch, hundreds of advertisements... I pretend it's fine while I'm at work, but it's literally making me ill. I think my boss can see it which is why she's looking to hire someone part time to help me out. This is too much work for a mid-level designer to do. I'm the only one in my department, so she brought in temps to help, but they made it worse and I had to re-do their work anyway...

I've only ever been this tightly wound up once before, but for the life of me I don't remember what I did to relieve it. Perhaps visiting the in-laws tonight into tomorrow will make me feel better or at least take my mind off of everything for a while.

It's like this thread now belongs on the friendship board with a different title like "Severe stress, not feeling right"...

I'm so sorry, V! My mom at one point ran a whole maritime dept. by herself (normally the job of 4 people). She was there until 10-12 at night sometimes, usually until 10, and took work home with her. She had a household to run and a kid to look after at the same time. It's not easy. My mom probably knows that better than I do. :)

Vanilla
September 24th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Sending warm hugs your way.

sarahthegemini
September 24th, 2016, 10:36 AM
I don't have any advice that hasn't already been said but I just wanted to say I hope things settle. Stress does terrible things so it's probably a major contributer. Will your work load be settling down any time soon?

lora410
September 24th, 2016, 11:18 AM
You know what you need? a hairtoy buying binge!! that will cheer you up :) p.s just said that to make you chuckle a little :) anywho just try and relax when you can. maybe a hot bath and quiet time if you can squeeze any in :grouphug: sometimes the advice cqn be more overwhelming nthen the issue but just know a lot of people care :flowers:

Wavykate
September 24th, 2016, 11:40 AM
I haven't read through this entire thread so very sorry if this has already been mentioned! I noticed that you were using the WCC method, and then using Shea moisture and serum on top of that. When I used Shea moisture products in the past gave me similar issues but on my skin, full blown acne all over the sides of my face where my hair touched it and just couldn't get rid of the grease. I probably got away with my hair not being so greasy because it is curly and naturally very dry, but loading up on so much heavy product when you maybe don't necessarily need it! If you air dry your hair you shouldn't need so much moisture, or if you do look at finding some other products that don't contain those heavy butters and oils.

Something that helped me balance my skin/hair/scalp is to use a diluted ACV rinse after shampooing, and just a touch of conditioner on the ends, one out of my 3 washes a week. Leave it in for a few mins then rinse it all out in luke warm water.

I don't know if this will help but I thought it wouldn't hurt to mention :)

Also i would look into mindfulness practices and maybe a gentle yoga practice if you haven't already, to take a short time to quiet the mind during times of great stress can really help!

X

catasa
September 24th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Just wanted to send lots of hugs your way :grouphug: I am sorry you are having such a hard time at work. Itīs good that your boss can see that you need someone to help you, and that you can get some extra vacation time hopefully soon. Please, please be careful with yourself as much as possible, prolonged stress and the effects it has on the body is really not something to be trifled with, I know from experience (though in my case from a longer period of stress it sounds like, and from other parts of life as well as work). ETA: Please donīt take this the wrong way, I know statements like this can feel even more stressful, and that the stressful situation is often not something that one feels one can control or really change by oneself. And it sounds like you have already taken what steps you can in talking with your boss etc. But I still felt that I would like to just say something, because your story touched me. (Sorry for rambling... )
I hope both your stressful situation, and your hair oiliness, get better soon! :blossom:

animetor7
September 24th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Do you wake up with your face greasy and oily too? You mentioned that you don't use a moisturizer at night, when I don't use a moisturizer my skin overproduces oil like crazy which can sometimes get into my roots. If I use a gel-like moisturizer it helps cut down a lot on oil production. I like to use CeraVe Pm as my main moisturizer because it's gel-like, not too heavy, and contains niacinamides which help with acne and clearing up acne scars.

One other thought to deal with the grease you have. Do you have a BBB? Could you maybe use a few less serums on your length and try to spread your sebum down the length instead using NW/SO techniques and then only use oil or serums at the very ends? This, in addition to dry shampoo, might help your length look nicer for longer.

As for the stress, I know what helps me when my anxiety acts up is a calming routine before bed. What I like best is using a fairly long Korean-inspired skincare routine with a sheet mask and everything. But I think anything that takes at least half an hour and is ritualistic, soothing, and something that you enjoy doing would work. It doesn't have to be skin care or hair care, but I do think the element of self-care is particularly helpful with this as is the facial massaging that is part of the routine.

The best of luck to you, as others have said you'll get through this, and then deserve a nice long vacation!! :flower: :) :grouphug:

lapushka
September 24th, 2016, 01:45 PM
A good long soak in an Epsom salt bath might help, together with what animetor mentioned (a nice mask), maybe a nice manicure... Just take some me-time.

vampyyri
September 24th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Just wanted to send lots of hugs your way :grouphug: I am sorry you are having such a hard time at work. Itīs good that your boss can see that you need someone to help you, and that you can get some extra vacation time hopefully soon. Please, please be careful with yourself as much as possible, prolonged stress and the effects it has on the body is really not something to be trifled with, I know from experience (though in my case from a longer period of stress it sounds like, and from other parts of life as well as work). ETA: Please donīt take this the wrong way, I know statements like this can feel even more stressful, and that the stressful situation is often not something that one feels one can control or really change by oneself. And it sounds like you have already taken what steps you can in talking with your boss etc. But I still felt that I would like to just say something, because your story touched me. (Sorry for rambling... )
I hope both your stressful situation, and your hair oiliness, get better soon! :blossom:

Thank you for your encouragement, and I appreciate your rambling!! :grouphug: I just need to find the time to calm down, I'm really bad today while I'm supposed to be relaxing, all of that stress is catching up with me all at once. I'm trying my best to calm down by taking L-Theanine when I feel a panic attack coming on. It's my go-to and has helped immensely in the past, and it's taking the edge off now as well.

Do you wake up with your face greasy and oily too? You mentioned that you don't use a moisturizer at night, when I don't use a moisturizer my skin overproduces oil like crazy which can sometimes get into my roots. If I use a gel-like moisturizer it helps cut down a lot on oil production. I like to use CeraVe Pm as my main moisturizer because it's gel-like, not too heavy, and contains niacinamides which help with acne and clearing up acne scars.

One other thought to deal with the grease you have. Do you have a BBB? Could you maybe use a few less serums on your length and try to spread your sebum down the length instead using NW/SO techniques and then only use oil or serums at the very ends? This, in addition to dry shampoo, might help your length look nicer for longer.

As for the stress, I know what helps me when my anxiety acts up is a calming routine before bed. What I like best is using a fairly long Korean-inspired skincare routine with a sheet mask and everything. But I think anything that takes at least half an hour and is ritualistic, soothing, and something that you enjoy doing would work. It doesn't have to be skin care or hair care, but I do think the element of self-care is particularly helpful with this as is the facial massaging that is part of the routine.

The best of luck to you, as others have said you'll get through this, and then deserve a nice long vacation!! :flower: :) :grouphug:

I have used a moisturizer before as a part of the acne.org regimen, but it just weirdly added to the problem. Perhaps I need to look into something even lighter than that one.

I would use a BBB but... my hair hates them and I exclusively finger comb with washed hands. :lol: I do scritch and preen as best as I can, too! As for less serum, I did my usual WCC and LOC but with half the amount of serum and my hair is looking much better than it did on S/C only.

As for the nightime routine, I do have one actually! I like to read for a half an hour right before bed to put my mind at ease. & thanks, hopefully that vacation can happen real soon, I need some actual time off!!

A good long soak in an Epsom salt bath might help, together with what animetor mentioned (a nice mask), maybe a nice manicure... Just take some me-time.

Oh that sounds heavenly... perhaps I can look into getting a proper mani/pedi to treat myself for once.

Anya15
September 25th, 2016, 12:03 AM

My apologies :flower: did not mean to make it worse for you :)

lapushka
September 25th, 2016, 03:07 AM
My apologies :flower: did not mean to make it worse for you :)

Nor did I. Sorry. :flower:

vampyyri
September 29th, 2016, 11:51 AM
I am happy to report that my oiliness and stress has finally dissipated! They were linked in the end, thank goodness. :joy:

My stress-inducing extra hard work made it so that everything is back at a normal pace. My scalp has been thanking me as well, I can wake up in the morning and not have the greasies! :happydance:

The mystery is solved! :eye: Thank you all so much for your overwhelming support and advice, you guys are the best :flowers:

animetor7
September 29th, 2016, 04:13 PM
I am happy to report that my oiliness and stress has finally dissipated! They were linked in the end, thank goodness. :joy:

My stress-inducing extra hard work made it so that everything is back at a normal pace. My scalp has been thanking me as well, I can wake up in the morning and not have the greasies! :happydance:

The mystery is solved! :eye: Thank you all so much for your overwhelming support and advice, you guys are the best :flowers:

Yay!!! I'm so glad your stress and scalp are doing better!! I'm glad we were able to help, even if it was just a situational oil slick issue!! :flower: :)