PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with colour mixing and info on bleach bath

Derv999
September 17th, 2016, 01:03 PM
Hi. I posted a question a couple of days ago about the fact that I had twice used 'Colour B4' to lift dark dyes from my hair. I am left with a pale gingery yellow on top going down into very dark copper at the base. I got some very helpful information and have a greater understanding of where I stand. I pretty much know that I have to avoid permanents for quite a while which is fine. I don't mind using semi's and I have three here. Purple, Turquoise and very dark blue. Now I'm guessing that with the colours that are in my hair, probably the best cover up would be something in the red/coppery spectrum except that I just hate red in my hair. The problem is that I can't quite figure out what is going to happen when I mix any of these colours that I already have into my hair. I know, as an artist, that yellowy colours mixed with blue will result in some kind of green which I am not too keen on. So, would that rule out the all the colours I have as they all have some element of blue in them? I was going to go purple but am now leaning towards the turquoise because if it is going to go green, well if it retained any of the turquoise that would be ok? Any suggestions??
Second question, could anybody explain to me what a 'bleach bath' is and how you apply it. Don't panic, I have no immediate plans but am interested perhaps for the future. Thanks a million.

Miata
September 17th, 2016, 01:21 PM
A bleach bath is where you dilute the bleach powder and developer with shampoo. It can be less damaging than bleaching in the usual way, but it does still do some damage (obviously!). I think you're being smart giving your hair a rest for a while before you think about doing that.

I'd be a little concerned that putting turquoise over very dark copper would just turn out muddy rather than green to be honest. Depends how dark the orangey parts actually are, but as you used copper to describe them I'm guessing it might be a bit risky layering something in the blue-green area of the spectrum over it right away. Of the colours you have, I'd probably go to purple first because it has red tones in there already, and then as that fades out--depending on the resulting faded colour--layer the dark blue over that, and then finally go to turquoise after the blue fades. Of course, this all depends on how the colours take and fade from your hair, and without seeing it it's hard to say definitively, but in general it's a good idea to work your way through the colour spectrum in stages towards to colour you want when you're trying to go for an almost diametrically opposed colour to that which you're starting with.

Any chance you could snap a picture of the copper so we can see the depth of colour? And which purple dye do you have?

Miata
September 17th, 2016, 01:27 PM
How do you feel about pink, like a cerise kind of deep, almost purple pink rather than a true pink, if you see what I mean? It isn't red, but it's closer to your current colour than the purple, so it would probably be about the least risky option outside of red-orange, then you could transition from that to purple, etc? You'd have to buy a dye of course (and like cerise, obviously! :p)

animetor7
September 17th, 2016, 01:32 PM
How do you feel about pink, like a cerise kind of deep, almost purple pink rather than a true pink, if you see what I mean? It isn't red, but it's closer to your current colour than the purple, so it would probably be about the least risky option outside of red-orange, then you could transition from that to purple, etc? You'd have to buy a dye of course (and like cerise, obviously! :p)

You could also try a warmer purple rather than a cool toned one. Although my suspicion is that even a cool toned dye is going to end up warmer on top of what you already have.

Robot Ninja
September 17th, 2016, 01:41 PM
A few people here have successfully dyed reddish hair with purple semis. If the red is darker you'll end up with a purplish black, like in my avatar, but on a lighter red you'll get purple. Just make sure the purple is pink-based, not blue-based, and sufficiently pigmented to give good coverage on unbleached hair; it might be helpful to know what brand you're using.

ETA: Bleach bath tutorial. (http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php?topic=995.0) Also, this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125938) might be relevant to your interests.

Derv999
September 17th, 2016, 02:00 PM
A bleach bath is where you dilute the bleach powder and developer with shampoo. It can be less damaging than bleaching in the usual way, but it does still do some damage (obviously!). I think you're being smart giving your hair a rest for a while before you think about doing that.

I'd be a little concerned that putting turquoise over very dark copper would just turn out muddy rather than green to be honest. Depends how dark the orangey parts actually are, but as you used copper to describe them I'm guessing it might be a bit risky layering something in the blue-green area of the spectrum over it right away. Of the colours you have, I'd probably go to purple first because it has red tones in there already, and then as that fades out--depending on the resulting faded colour--layer the dark blue over that, and then finally go to turquoise after the blue fades. Of course, this all depends on how the colours take and fade from your hair, and without seeing it it's hard to say definitively, but in general it's a good idea to work your way through the colour spectrum in stages towards to colour you want when you're trying to go for an almost diametrically opposed colour to that which you're starting with.

Any chance you could snap a picture of the copper so we can see the depth of colour? And which purple dye do you have?

Really sorry, the only way I could find to reply to you was by including a complete quotation. I find this site really hard to figure out. But anyway, thank you so much for your help. It makes lots of sense. The permanents that I had been using in my hair were off-the-shelf Schwartzkopf permanents. My ultimate aim is that my hair will be light enough to use Schwartzkopf Electric Blue although I know I will never get a true result without ridding my hair of the colour that is stuck in it. This is the reason why I am talking about the bleach bath but I am in no real hurry to do that if I can work out something with the semi's that is acceptable. The Turquoise one I have is Revlon Professional Fondant Color, Nutri Color Creme 009 Turquoise. The purple is 'Revolution' by Aliparf, Rich Purple and the Dark Blue is La Riche. I don't have a clue how to upload a snap. I might be too much of a 'newbie' to enjoy such a pleasure haha Thanks again :-)

Derv999
September 17th, 2016, 02:05 PM
A few people here have successfully dyed reddish hair with purple semis.

ETA: Bleach bath tutorial. (http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php?topic=995.0) Also, this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125938) might be relevant to your interests.
Thanks so much. Can't believe how helpful everyone is. I have been educated so much in the last couple of days. Really appreciate it.

Derv999
September 17th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Very good idea. I could live with pink - just not red. lol I'll get a pink on Monday. Hopefully they will have the shade you are talking about in stock :-)

Miata
September 17th, 2016, 02:14 PM
The purple is 'Revolution' by Aliparf, Rich Purple

I just searched this with Google but can't seem to get a hit to have a look at a shade swatch but, as Robot Ninja said, if it's a more red-based purple rather than blue-based it might well do the trick.

Good luck, Derv999! :pray:

Derv999
September 17th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Thanks, maybe by the time I have it done I will have figured out how to post a pic or if I have to complete some kind of probation period before I can. Anyway, Hopefully I will be able to show you the results!!!

Miata
September 17th, 2016, 02:23 PM
If you click the little icon on the bar above the box you type your posts into that looks like a picture frame with a tree in it, it opens a pop up where you can paste in the web address of an image if you upload your photo to a photo hosting website. Don't know if that's any help to you?

Robot Ninja
September 17th, 2016, 02:23 PM
The purple is 'Revolution' by Aliparf, Rich Purple and the Dark Blue is La Riche. I don't have a clue how to upload a snap. I might be too much of a 'newbie' to enjoy such a pleasure haha Thanks again :-)

That definitely looks like a pink-based purple. I've never heard of the brand before so I don't know how highly pigmented it is, but the worst that will happen is you'll end up with brown.

If you want to post a picture, you'll have to upload it to an image-hosting site like Imgur or Photobucket, then use the little icon that looks like a tree at the top of the post editing box. To reply to multiple people at once, use the multiquote button next to "Reply with quote." Then you can delete the parts of the quoted text that aren't relevant to your reply.

Derv999
September 17th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Thank you Miata but no such icon appears on my screen. I have gone searching and it seems like I have to accumulate 25 posts in order to enjoy full privilages. Oh well, I will just have to wait!

Robot Ninja
September 17th, 2016, 03:18 PM
If you're using Imgur, you can also copy the text where it says "BBcode" and paste it directly into your post. Other image hosting sites might have a similar function. Or just type [paste your image url here], which is what that tree icon thingy does for you.