PDA

View Full Version : Ugh, flaky, dry scalp. Need a new shampoo!

RebekahE
September 13th, 2016, 10:33 AM
I have determined that my scalp doesn't like sulfate's (yet my hair does). Every time I use a sulfate shampoo my scalp get's flaky, itchy and dry.
I really like sulfate's because they clean well, lather (making it easier to work into my thick hair). I only ever put shampoo on my scalp unless I am doing a clarifying wash.
Before I went back to a SLS shampoo I was using a Jason Long and Strong shampoo, it had sodium coco sulfate and it never seemed to bother my scalp. However, I really liked it but recently it has been leaving my hair feeling weird and not as soft so I stopped using it. (I did a clarifying and it still did not feel good)
I tried RenPure Originals Argan Shampoo and it did not lather at all and did not clean, my scalp hair felt nasty and greasy after one day. I bought some Not Your Mother's Way To Grow Long and Strong and it is slightly better, but it does not clean very well either (not to mention it does not lather, seriously, there are no suds at all). So, I used an ACV rinse after shampooing and worked that in and it helped, but I'm still not happy, I don't feel like my scalp was as clean.
What should I do? Anyone have any recommendations for a good sulfate-free shampoo that cleans well and lathers decently?

Obsidian
September 13th, 2016, 10:42 AM
I've not used it personally but kirkland shampoo is sulfate free and supposed to be very good. I'm getting a bottle of the moisture shampoo next time someone goes to costco. If you don't have access to costco, you can get it on amazon but its super expensive. I only pay $7 for a 33 oz bottle at costco, that along with a few other things I like to get in bulk (coconut and avocado oil to name a few), makes the $55 yearly membership worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Professional-Formula-Moisture/dp/B004W3GKU0

Chromis
September 13th, 2016, 10:57 AM
You don't need a lot of lather for cleaning. It sounds like you have very hard water if you are having trouble working up suds though and the minerals can certainly leave your hair feeling weird.

If you want more lather, try doing a second scalp wash. I know with shampoo bars, I don't get any lather at all on the first place when I use those in hard water, and then they lather up fine the second pass. If it is hard water, I found I needed an ACV/citric acid rinse even with sulphates to get a good result otherwise my hair got coated feeling after a few washes and my scalp was angry too. While I am always happy to do shampoo bar enabling, the best of the actual shampoos I have tried was Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat.

lapushka
September 13th, 2016, 11:01 AM
I hear and see (YT) that the Shea Moisture line suds up *really* well, not even for a sulfate shampoo, but just all in all, and they do a clarifying one as well. Maybe try that one.

RebekahE
September 13th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Obsidian, I'll look into it. I know for a fact we don't have any Costco's within two hours (which sucks).
Thanks! Chromis, our water is well water so it is hard, but we do have a water softener. I may have to try a shampoo bar. I just have to decide which one.
Lapushka, thanks! I may give it a go, I have often thought of it but I shy away at the price. I guess quality is better than quantity, though.

Chromis
September 13th, 2016, 11:28 AM
Chagrin Valley has some super ones according to my picky scalp! My personal favourites are Nettle, Olive Barbassu, Herb Garden, and Cafe Moreno.

If price is an issue, the Giovanni is quite spendy! Jason was a little cheaper and almost as good, but all of the hippie shampoos are on the spendy side. Shampoo bars are a bargain compared to them.

animetor7
September 13th, 2016, 11:58 AM
If you have hard water even a water softener might not be taking care of all the minerals, so you could have mineral build-up. You could try a chelating shampoo which might help things return to normal. Although I'm also always in support of converting more people to shampoo bars. :) We have similar hair types, so you might like the same ones I've liked. From Chagrin valley I like lavender spice, the coconut milk, the extra honey beer, and rosemary lavender. Good luck!!

Shorty89
September 13th, 2016, 12:10 PM
I know you are asking for shampoo suggestions, but have you tried CO? It's helped control my dry, flaky scalp.

lapushka
September 13th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Lapushka, thanks! I may give it a go, I have often thought of it but I shy away at the price. I guess quality is better than quantity, though.

I think they often do BOGO deals on the SM products! Wait for a sale like that to try it.

RebekahE
September 13th, 2016, 01:31 PM
I know you are asking for shampoo suggestions, but have you tried CO? It's helped control my dry, flaky scalp.

I haven't. Maybe I should. I'm just worried it won't clean my scalp enough because I tend to get really oily scalp. I just thought of a question: Can I use a coney conditioner? My hair thrives on cones, if I don't use cones it is next to impossible to get a comb through it. I am currently using HE conditioner's (Honey I'm strong, Long term relationship, Hello Hydration and Hydralicious & De-damage, to use them up)

I think they often do BOGO deals on the SM products! Wait for a sale like that to try it.

I will keep my eyes peeled! Thanks!

lapushka
September 13th, 2016, 03:07 PM
I haven't. Maybe I should. I'm just worried it won't clean my scalp enough because I tend to get really oily scalp. I just thought of a question: Can I use a coney conditioner? My hair thrives on cones, if I don't use cones it is next to impossible to get a comb through it. I am currently using HE conditioner's (Honey I'm strong, Long term relationship, Hello Hydration and Hydralicious & De-damage, to use them up)

I will keep my eyes peeled! Thanks!

As long as you use a sulfate shampoo once in a while (like every month or so), it should be fine. And you can use the sulfate shampoo on the lengths and the sulfate-free on the scalp only if you're worried about flakes. If you don't let the cones touch the scalp, then it's just fine as far as clarifying goes!

ArtificiallyRed
September 14th, 2016, 06:36 AM
Yeah, clarifying really helps sometimes just to help keep excess build up, especially important if you're using gentle shampoos most of the time.

Also, I just had a flare of Seborrhoeic Dermatitis on my scalp, and after snooping around on old threads here I read that calendula can help with skin issues. So I went down to my local Boots and found the Weleda 'Calendula Baby Shampoo and Wash' that is super gentle and sulphate free. If you rinse & repeat it gets your hair feeling clean without overly stripping it. I can't usually do 2 latherings because my scalp flares up in seb derm again and gets VERY oily, as well as the massive crusty yellow/white flakes appearing again. I've only used it a few times but it seems to do the trick. With my scalp I can tell pretty quickly if I can continue using shampoo or not so it's looking good. So maybe it might be worth a try if your problem continues? It helps keep my scalp in balance rather than making it super dry which in turn means that my scalp doesn't get as crazy oily!

I hope that helped a bit!

RebekahE
September 14th, 2016, 07:53 AM
Hey, thanks everyone for the wonderful replies! I am going to give a shampoo bar a go and then I am going to try CO. Hopefully one will work well for me.

Maelyssa
September 15th, 2016, 05:24 AM
I've found great success with the sulfate free Max Green Alchemy shampoo and conditioner. They're designed for scalp issues. It's definitely my staple.