PDA

View Full Version : disgustingly dry, ratted hair... Please help

Katem
September 11th, 2016, 12:43 PM
recently my hair has been so gross and matted and it looks so awful... it was so silky and then all the sudden it became like this. my hair care routine hasn't changed at all but I am so disgusting with my hair. today i took it out of the nightly braid and I wanted to cry because it just looked so awful. I put tons of almond oil on it and it still feels like I haven't conditioned it in a year (and looks like it too, even though every strand is coated in oil). I put it up in a bun for now, but when I get home I will upload photos to show all of you, hopefully it will help figure out what's wrong with it. it seriously seems like over night it went from good and silky to looking like a literal birds nest and feeling like hay

Sarahlabyrinth
September 11th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Have you tried clarifying your hair?

parkmikii
September 11th, 2016, 12:48 PM
Have you tried clarifying your hair?

This. Have you tried clarifying and deep conditioning? Sometimes that's all it takes :)

animetor7
September 11th, 2016, 12:50 PM
You might be experiencing a protein overload or build-up. This can make healthy hair feel dry and damaged. You could try treating it with a clarifying wash followed by a moisturizing treatment such as an SMT: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

I would try this first and see how your hair feels, and if it still feels bad then see if you can see splits or obvious damage or if it just feels dry. I hope your hair feels better soon!! Good luck! :grouphug:

EDIT: oops it seems while I was typing others said the same thing, good luck anyways!!

Anje
September 11th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Oil doesn't always condition very well.

Detangle it as best you can. Then clarify it by washing root to tip with a harsh sulfate shampoo. Twice is probably better. Follow it up with conditioner (good chance to detangle more, while hair is full of conditioner).

Hopefully, that's enough to fix it. If not, I'm also leaning toward suggesting an SMT, because it might have protein overload if it's dry-rough-snappy-ultra tangly. I've got a link to the SMT thread and recipe in my signature.

trolleypup
September 11th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Oil doesn't always condition very well.

Detangle it as best you can. Then clarify it by washing root to tip with a harsh sulfate shampoo. Twice is probably better. Follow it up with conditioner (good chance to detangle more, while hair is full of conditioner).

Hopefully, that's enough to fix it. If not, I'm also leaning toward suggesting an SMT, because it might have protein overload if it's dry-rough-snappy-ultra tangly. I've got a link to the SMT thread and recipe in my signature.
Oil, products, add some dust and wow tangles and all!

A cheap and easily available clarifier is Dawn dishwashing liquid...will take everything out right up to tree sap! Good luck.

papayatree
September 11th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Oil, products, add some dust and wow tangles and all!

A cheap and easily available clarifier is Dawn dishwashing liquid...will take everything out right up to tree sap! Good luck.

Does it have any Harsh Chemicals in its ingredients?

lapushka
September 11th, 2016, 02:37 PM

Yeah, that's the point of clarifying. ;)

papayatree
September 11th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Yeah, that's the point of clarifying. ;)

Thanks lapushka. I have never had to clarify my hair before so I didn't know what it meant.

lapushka
September 11th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Thanks lapushka. I have never had to clarify my hair before so I didn't know what it meant.

Oh that's okay. I would try a regular sulfate shampoo over dish liquid first though, and if that doesn't work, there's always that.

animetor7
September 11th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Oh that's okay. I would try a regular sulfate shampoo over dish liquid first though, and if that doesn't work, there's always that.

Yup, any sulfate shampoo should work. I like Suave shampoos for clarifying because they're cheap and they get the job done.

trolleypup
September 11th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Npn-soap based surfactants...like the active ingredients in shampoos, assume a sulfate since those are strong and cheap, a little bit of color and fragrance. Obviously, it has a lot of detergent action, so rinse thoroughly and/or dilute for easier application.

spidermom
September 11th, 2016, 06:35 PM
I agree with clarifying if you haven't done that. Weirdly enough, sometimes it's the buildup that is all dried out and gross while the hair itself is still silky and nice.

Katem
September 11th, 2016, 07:25 PM
okay I used a shampoo that I think was clarifying, it's called matrix biolage clean reset. just put the SMT in and my hair already feels better, in the past I would put on so much conditoner and it still felt rough and dry. took a picture of my hair and I'll take one after to show how much it's helped:)

Katem
September 12th, 2016, 04:13 PM
okay done! amazing results.

before
http://i68.tinypic.com/eriydv.jpg

after while drying: (idk why its sideways)
http://i64.tinypic.com/2mrfvvr.jpg

totally dry, sorry for blur:
http://i68.tinypic.com/e99hmx.png

amazing difference. my hair is so soft right now. i can't believe it had gotten so bad. how can i prevent product build up in the future? and thank you for your help!!!

vampyyri
September 12th, 2016, 04:17 PM

before

amazing difference. my hair is so soft right now. i can't believe it had gotten so bad. how can i prevent product build up in the future? and thank you for your help!!!

Holy moley those are some dramatic results!! :shocked:

Just make it a point to clarify at least once a month to prevent build-up, then you should be in the clear! :thumbsup:

animetor7
September 12th, 2016, 04:48 PM

before

What amazing results!!! As for preventing build-up, just clarify more frequently and remember to use a chelating shampoo if you live in an area with hard water. I know that I need clarifying if detangling becomes more difficult or my hair seems to get greasy faster than usual. But if you'd rather just clarify on a schedule that works too! You shouldn't hurt your hair as long as you follow up with a moisturizing treatment like an SMT. I'm glad this was a simple fix, good luck figuring out how often you need to clarify!! :)

Anje
September 12th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Wow, what a difference!

All you need to do is clarify every now and then. Some people do it on a schedule, some on impulse, some do it when the hair starts feeling "off" somehow. I try to be in the third category, but I'm usually in the second, clarifying every now and then because I happened to decide it might not hurt.

spidermom
September 12th, 2016, 08:28 PM
My hair tends to be limp and dull looking when it needs to be clarified - I'd say about every 6 weeks to 3 months depending on how much styling product I've been using.

lapushka
September 13th, 2016, 08:00 AM
I didn't expect that to show at all, looks like it's just not been combed in the first picture. But wow, that it should be build up? First time I see it manifests itself like that.

Katem
September 13th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I had combed it before I put it in a bun on the back of my head. once I took the bun out, I attempted to brush through it but it hurt so much and I only got some of it done. once brushed, it got tangled within minutes and very frizzy. so happy the clarifying has helped so much, I can run my fingers through my hair again!

Decoy24601
September 13th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Whoa, those are drastic results! Out of curiosity, what was your hair care routine like? Did you use shampoo and conditioner? Which ones did you use? I don't think I've ever had buildup that bad in my life.

Katem
September 13th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Whoa, those are drastic results! Out of curiosity, what was your hair care routine like? Did you use shampoo and conditioner? Which ones did you use? I don't think I've ever had buildup that bad in my life.

I switched it up a lot, but what I think really did it was this mango conditioner (which I'm forgetting the name of right now). I have been using shampoo much, which would also play a bit part since I forgot to clarify. my hair, even after drenching it in conditioner and washing it out, was so tangled it hurt too much to comb through all the way, so I targeted big tangles and threw the rest up in a bun. I continued to ignore the problem and just assume my hair was dry, instead of clarifying, so I think the tangles just built up more and more until I had this big, ratted dry mess. I've never had this much build up either, so that's probably why I freaked out and lathered on more oils & put it in a bun daily

Decoy24601
September 13th, 2016, 01:23 PM
I switched it up a lot, but what I think really did it was this mango conditioner (which I'm forgetting the name of right now). I have been using shampoo much, which would also play a bit part since I forgot to clarify. my hair, even after drenching it in conditioner and washing it out, was so tangled it hurt too much to comb through all the way, so I targeted big tangles and threw the rest up in a bun. I continued to ignore the problem and just assume my hair was dry, instead of clarifying, so I think the tangles just built up more and more until I had this big, ratted dry mess. I've never had this much build up either, so that's probably why I freaked out and lathered on more oils & put it in a bun daily

Oh, that explains it. If you're having problems with buildup oil is going to make it worse too :). Certain oils have a worse effect than others.

Katem
September 13th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Oh, that explains it. If you're having problems with buildup oil is going to make it worse too :). Certain oils have a worse effect than others.

that makes sense haha, I was so confused because even my favorite conditioner wasn't doing any good. but after clarifying, I used it in the smt and now my hair smells good and it feels how the conditioner usually makes it feel

spidermom
September 13th, 2016, 05:00 PM
A funny story for you: back when I was fairly new to LHC, my hair got to a point where it was hard to untangle and looked awful. I was contemplating a major haircut. Then one day I was handling my big Burmese python and made him mad, so he sprayed me with snake-musk. Peeeeeeeeeee-Yuuuuuuuuu that stuff is awful. It got all over my clothes and in my hair. I had to wash my hair 2-4 times (I can't remember anymore) from scalp to tips to get the terrible smell out of it. Afterwards my hair was so soft and easy to comb through that I had to conclude one of 2 things: 1) snake musk is a good deep treatment for hair, or 2) it was past time to clarify.

animetor7
September 13th, 2016, 05:12 PM
A funny story for you: back when I was fairly new to LHC, my hair got to a point where it was hard to untangle and looked awful. I was contemplating a major haircut. Then one day I was handling my big Burmese python and made him mad, so he sprayed me with snake-musk. Peeeeeeeeeee-Yuuuuuuuuu that stuff is awful. It got all over my clothes and in my hair. I had to wash my hair 2-4 times (I can't remember anymore) from scalp to tips to get the terrible smell out of it. Afterwards my hair was so soft and easy to comb through that I had to conclude one of 2 things: 1) snake musk is a good deep treatment for hair, or 2) it was past time to clarify.

That's a hilarious story. Although you never know...maybe snake musk is the way of the future. ;) Just kidding I'll stick with regular clarifying I think.

Katem
September 15th, 2016, 01:36 PM

hahaha I agree with animetor7 I'll stick with clarifying!

DarkChocolate
September 15th, 2016, 01:52 PM
I am amazed at the results! The before and after look like two different heads of hair.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
September 16th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Glad to see that your hair is happy again. Sssh I feel your hair pain. What a tangle our hair weaves some times.

Katem
September 21st, 2016, 12:51 PM
It's been about two weeks since I did the clarifying but hair already seems as ratted as it was in the first picture.. Do I need to clarify again or is my hair just damaged from all the bleach I put it through?

GrowingOut
September 21st, 2016, 01:06 PM
I'd say try another clarify, if it feels the same as the first picture, and maybe it just needs more moisture treatments after?

animetor7
September 21st, 2016, 01:41 PM
Did you chelate when you last clarified? If you didn't, you could still have mineral build-up on your hair that can cause dryness, you'll have to get a shampoo either designed specifically for hard water or one for after swimming. I'd also do a simple SMT after clarifying/chelating to restore some moisture to your hair. Badly damaged and/or bleached hair will also need some protein, so you can try a protein pack added into the SMT. I also know that if you bleached your hair regularly, you might get straw-like hair more often than someone with virgin hair. Good luck!!!

Alissalocks
September 21st, 2016, 09:05 PM
For real though, if this was an ad for some product I would totally never believe that was the same head of hair, before and after. Wow! I don't clarify, but maybe I do? My regular routine of Pantene Repair has some sulfates listed in the ingredients, so maybe that's clarifying every wash and I only *think* I'm not clarifying bc I haven't gone out to get a specific, clarifying product. :shrug:

But I've never had quite that same problem you experienced, so maybe I'm over thinking this hair thing (like usual)? In any case, great overall results story. Hope the experts here can help it improve again.

Katem
September 21st, 2016, 09:16 PM
Did you chelate when you last clarified? If you didn't, you could still have mineral build-up on your hair that can cause dryness, you'll have to get a shampoo either designed specifically for hard water or one for after swimming. I'd also do a simple SMT after clarifying/chelating to restore some moisture to your hair. Badly damaged and/or bleached hair will also need some protein, so you can try a protein pack added into the SMT. I also know that if you bleached your hair regularly, you might get straw-like hair more often than someone with virgin hair. Good luck!!!

my house uses soft water. what is chelate? never heard of it haha, I'm a noob.

animetor7
September 21st, 2016, 09:26 PM
my house uses soft water. what is chelate? never heard of it haha, I'm a noob.

You generally only need to chelate if you have hard water, it removes mineral build-up that not any sulfate can remove. It might still help though because soft water can still cause mineral build-up just not as much as hard water tends to. Your hair may also just be damaged from bleach. This can result in crunchy ends no matter what you do, depending on the damage. This doesn't necessarily mean that you have to chop all the bleach out, you will need to eventually. But if it is severe bleach damage, I would suggest babying the ends as much as possible and microtrimming to get rid of the damage slowly. I find it hard to believe that it's build-up again after only two weeks, but maybe you didn't quite get it all the last time you clarified, just enough that it felt better. So what I would do is clarify again, but this time include a chelating component, swimmer's shampoos often contain them. Here's a good article describing chelating vs clarifying: https://nadiasnotes.com/tag/chelating-agents/If this doesn't work it's likely just damage and you'll need to baby your ends and microtrim until the bleach is cut out.

The best of luck!! :) :flower:

Katem
September 22nd, 2016, 06:12 PM
You generally only need to chelate if you have hard water, it removes mineral build-up that not any sulfate can remove. It might still help though because soft water can still cause mineral build-up just not as much as hard water tends to. Your hair may also just be damaged from bleach. This can result in crunchy ends no matter what you do, depending on the damage. This doesn't necessarily mean that you have to chop all the bleach out, you will need to eventually. But if it is severe bleach damage, I would suggest babying the ends as much as possible and microtrimming to get rid of the damage slowly. I find it hard to believe that it's build-up again after only two weeks, but maybe you didn't quite get it all the last time you clarified, just enough that it felt better. So what I would do is clarify again, but this time include a chelating component, swimmer's shampoos often contain them. Here's a good article describing chelating vs clarifying: https://nadiasnotes.com/tag/chelating-agents/If this doesn't work it's likely just damage and you'll need to baby your ends and microtrim until the bleach is cut out.

The best of luck!! :) :flower:

thanks! I'm gonna try clarifying again in a few minutes. the weird thing is the very tips of my ends are very soft and don't show this build up nearly as much. It's actually the length of the hair that is so ratted and stuff

EDIT: hair is back to being soft. why is this build up happening so fast??

Katem
September 25th, 2016, 12:37 PM
the weird thing to me is i clarified, and then washed once more and my hair seemed okay. then shortly before i clarified again, it was getting that buildup feeling! so i washed sunday, and by friday (without any use of products) there was buildup.

animetor7
September 25th, 2016, 12:55 PM
the weird thing to me is i clarified, and then washed once more and my hair seemed okay. then shortly before i clarified again, it was getting that buildup feeling! so i washed sunday, and by friday (without any use of products) there was buildup.

That sounds like something else is building up on your hair. I'd try chelating even though you have soft water. It could still be mineral build-up. Good luck!! :)

Kat-Rinnč Naido
September 25th, 2016, 01:35 PM
What products are you using on your hair,Katem

lapushka
September 25th, 2016, 01:43 PM

Maybe it just needs a regular clarify, and that's it. Could be.

I agree with Kat-Rinnč Naido, what are your products?

Flipgirl24
September 25th, 2016, 04:47 PM

Has anything changed in your diet? Hormones? Environment?

animetor7
September 25th, 2016, 05:06 PM
If it's going back to being soft, does it also feel mushy or stretchy? It might need another protein treatment rather than more clarifying.

Katem
September 26th, 2016, 07:13 PM
What products are you using on your hair,Katem

i dont shampoo too often, but when i do i use a shea moisture product. then to condition i use calia naturals, which has never given me trouble before. i cant remember the name of the clarifier, i'll have to check

Katem
September 26th, 2016, 07:31 PM
If it's going back to being soft, does it also feel mushy or stretchy? It might need another protein treatment rather than more clarifying.

nope it feels rather normal. i will try the protein though :)

Katem
September 26th, 2016, 07:32 PM
Has anything changed in your diet? Hormones? Environment?

no, everything been the same. i mean it might be getting a bit drier here as winter approaches, but I'm not sure

animetor7
September 26th, 2016, 10:01 PM
Does your hair feel just limp after washing? If so that might not be build up. It could be that the Shea moisture shampoo doesn't have enough cleansing power for your hair. I've used it before and it's not enough for my weekly wash, just for scalp washes in between full washes. If your shampoo doesn't have enough cleansing power for your hair type or what you use on it, the hair can feel limp and lifeless even without needing clarifying yet. If that's the case is look for a more cleansing rather than moisturizing shampoo. If you're worried about it being too harsh or drying, you can always dilute it with water.

lapushka
September 27th, 2016, 03:13 AM
Might be hormonal as well though. Katem is still a teen, I have gathered from a different thread, so that can cause a whole slew of issues with hair going strange, or oilier all of a sudden, things like that.

Jadestorm
September 27th, 2016, 03:18 AM
Wow, that's a huuuuge difference! I'm glad it helped!

Katem
September 29th, 2016, 07:13 PM
no ive actually almost found the shea moisture too strong lol, I don't think it's that. besides I've clarified again and my hair still feels awful.

lapushka, you're totally right it could be. I'm going to try chelating, deep conditioning, and sitting it out for a bit. if nothing works, I might just have to assume it's damage and cut some of it away. but it really doesn't seem like damage because it's not just at the ends, even the very roots (undyed) feel awful too

lapushka
September 30th, 2016, 03:27 AM
lapushka, you're totally right it could be. I'm going to try chelating, deep conditioning, and sitting it out for a bit. if nothing works, I might just have to assume it's damage and cut some of it away. but it really doesn't seem like damage because it's not just at the ends, even the very roots (undyed) feel awful too

Oh gosh, girl, I was all over the place with my hair in my teens! :lol: I *know* what it's like. But if you can help "cure" the issue with changing around some products, definitely it's worth it!

If you clarify/chelate once and it doesn't do too too much, keep at it. Don't quicken up your next wash, just when you next wash, try it again until the issue is totally resolved. It might just work well.

Good luck!