PDA

View Full Version : Toddler hair type

Shiranshoku
September 10th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Hi! Sorry if this belongs in 'Parental Pow wow'! But I was hoping to get some advice on my daughter's hair.

https://i.imgur.com/ReXcKS2.jpg

Her hair is wurly.

- will this texture last? Everyone seems convinced that it'll magically become straight if we cut it. And some even feel we should cut it for that reason! But I rather like it.
- any tips for her haircare? I wash it once a week with baby shampoo but I think it's too drying, her hair is very fine but feels very dry to me. My hair is stick straight, so I havent the faintest idea on how to care for curly hair.
- how do I brush it?

Thx!

lapushka
September 10th, 2016, 11:08 AM
Only comb/brush it when it's wet and full of conditioner. The curly girl method might be helpful to you:
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

littlestarface
September 10th, 2016, 11:10 AM
I can't see any picture but don't brush her hair. Comb before washing like with a tangle teezer please, if she she has silky wurly hair i'm guessing it'll break easy. My hair was wurly when I was a baby and it's wavy now so it'll last long time it'll probably straighten out abit as it grows but it'll be wavy and not straight like a 1. If you can use conditioner on her hair not shampoo so that her hair doesn't get stripped all the time. Also a leave in will be nice for her after when it's wet.

Shiranshoku
September 10th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Only comb/brush it when it's wet and full of conditioner. The curly girl method might be helpful to you:
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

I'll look into it, thanks!

I can't see any picture but don't brush her hair. Comb before washing like with a tangle teezer please, if she she has silky wurly hair i'm guessing it'll break easy. My hair was wurly when I was a baby and it's wavy now so it'll last long time it'll probably straighten out abit as it grows but it'll be wavy and not straight like a 1.

I'll try to fix the picture later, I can't see it either. And YES on the breakage. I didn't get that ay first, I figured since her hair is so young (she was practically bald her first year) it would be strong but it's not. It's very fragile.

littlestarface
September 10th, 2016, 11:19 AM
I'll look into it, thanks!

I'll try to fix the picture later, I can't see it either. And YES on the breakage. I didn't get that ay first, I figured since her hair is so young (she was practically bald her first year) it would be strong but it's not. It's very fragile.

Yea it'll be fine texture hair especially at this age. Also don't ring it to get water out. It's good to like squeeze it out, like put her hair in your palm and push it up and squeeze, that's what I do for my hair it gets the water out.

sumidha
September 10th, 2016, 12:08 PM
My little guy has curly/wurly hair, and unless I see visible dirt on his scalp I just use conditioner on his hair. If I'm really going all out to make his hair nice I'll do conditioner, brush out the tangles with a TT, rinse out some of the conditioner and then use a pea sized amount of Kinky Curly Knot Today and let it dry without manipulation (no toweling it dry). This gives him gorgeous ringlets for about ten minutes until he smears yogurt into his hair or something similar. :laugh:

I agree with everyone else about using a Tangle Teaser on wet hair that's been saturated with conditioner. As for breakage, there's only so much you can do, I mean, their hair is so fine when they're little...

Curly276mom
September 10th, 2016, 01:58 PM
Toddler hair can change drastically as it grows in and thickens up. The earliest hair is the longest, and if you look closely at the scalp you will see a "second wave" of growth that is about a year behind the "first wave" (with my kids the second wave started when teething was done). Once you cut off the last of the baby hair and the two "waves" are the same length you will have a lot better idea of what the long term pattern will be.

If you don't put any product with cones in toddler hair, you can keep the wash routine really minimal. I dunk the kids in the bath or shower most every day and give them a scritch but I only shampoo if something gets in it that I can't get out (like spray on color at wacky hair day or a coney sunscreen), and I co wash once a week or less. I find toddler hair is easier to manage if I leave it be. One tip tho, boar bristle brushes result in way less fighting and complaining than wooden combs or other brushes. So if I need to detangle, that is my go to.

Pearly~91
September 10th, 2016, 02:50 PM
My little sister had really fine curly hair as a toddler. Our method was to detangle with a simple wide toothed comb and kids' detangling spray (something like this (http://www.suave.com/product/detail/671057/splashing-apple-toss)). I'm pretty sure when we washed her hair we used a children's shampoo and lots of conditioner, combing through with the conditioner.

I would definitely not use a brush. I also wouldn't use a tangle teaser on super fine toddler hair, but that's just my preference.

Also, don't rub her hair with a towel to dry. That causes HUGE knots. You can gently squeeze the extra water out with an old T-shirt or microfibre cloth.

I don't think it will magically become straight when you cut it. If her father's hair is wavy or curly then she may keep the wurls, or her hair might straighten out with time. I have seen both happen, it just depends on the genetics.

Hope that helps!

ETA: Also, it's good to have a detangling routine so she gets used to it! Do the same thing every day and it gets easier. Maybe have a special toy that she gets to play with so she holds still.

Shiranshoku
September 10th, 2016, 03:27 PM
@sumidha Thanks for the tips! Curly boys are soooo cute!

@curly276mom I have a bbb that makes my hair very static-y, but I'll look into one, thanks!

@pearly~91 I use a tshirt when drying her hair, daddy doesn't. He's stubborn :p. His hair has some body, but no curl. His brother has curls, though. And my mom's wavey. So there's some genetic hope, I guess!

I managed to fix the picture. I was stretching some strands to show my mom how long it's gotten. And because I love how it springs back :p

spidermom
September 10th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Toddler hair type usually doesn't last so enjoy it now. If you can wash it without getting it into toddler's eyes, switch to a moisturizing shampoo. Baby shampoo is designed not to burn eyes, but it's pretty harsh on hair.

Shiranshoku
September 10th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Toddler hair type usually doesn't last so enjoy it now. If you can wash it without getting it into toddler's eyes, switch to a moisturizing shampoo. Baby shampoo is designed not to burn eyes, but it's pretty harsh on hair.

I really hope they last, her unruly hair really suits her temperament! I'll probably pick up a different shampoo next week, she's usually cooperative when washing her hair.

sumidha
September 10th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Aww, I can see the picture now and her curls are super cute. My guy has a similar wave pattern and I love it. The only thing I can't figure out is how to keep the top part curly, the back will be ringlets but the hair around his face and on the top of his head will straighten out eventually.

lithostoic
September 10th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Mine was straight up curly and now it's just straight.

Shiranshoku
September 11th, 2016, 01:41 PM
I've done her first ever co wash today, curious to see if it brings out the curl more. It looks very shiny!

lapushka
September 11th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Remember, if she starts to shed more on CO, ditch it immediately. :) If her hair is as fine as it is, then it's a risk as some people lose hair because of CO washing or even going sulfate free.

I linked the CG method, but that doesn't mean you need to ditch the sulfates. ;)