PDA

View Full Version : How to jump start hair growth?

adasteph
September 9th, 2016, 06:46 PM
I have had no hair growth in the last month and a half other than a fraction of an inch. I have not been dying my hair and have not been doing trims other than split ends as needed. I am frustrated since i switched to washing every three days and deep conditioning once a week with either coconut oil blend or egg white blend.
Does any one have any helpful info or tips?

Rowdy
September 9th, 2016, 06:48 PM
I would do things that increase circulation to the scalp. For me that means regular exercise, keeping my head warm and head massages.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 9th, 2016, 06:53 PM
What are your diet and exercise routines like?

Tosca
September 9th, 2016, 07:06 PM
Was your hair growing before this? Sometimes hair just stops growing, and then starts up again later.

Xavien_Grey
September 9th, 2016, 07:09 PM
I second Sarah, my fastest growth has always been when im training for races; even though i put it through its paces. Id look at your diet and treat your hair from the inside out. Hydration, nutrition, and physical activity

Alissalocks
September 9th, 2016, 10:31 PM
I've heard of using Monistat on the scalp but have no experience with it myself. There are threads here that mention it though if you search. Exercise, hydration and nutrition win out over short term fixes though, I think.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
September 10th, 2016, 03:17 AM
There is a thread "Essential Oils for Hair Loss and Shedding" have a look at it and see if this is for you. I have not tried it but found it interesting to read.

sarahthegemini
September 10th, 2016, 04:34 AM
I would try doing a scalp massage every night before bed (without oil) Sometimes though your hair stalls a little, I wouldn't worry about it. Try not checking growth for a few months. May I ask, why are you putting egg whites on your head?

lapushka
September 10th, 2016, 05:26 AM
What are your diet and exercise routines like?

This. Do you eat well? How is the rest of your routine? What's your hair texture. Sometimes growth is harder to monitor (on curly hair for instance).

Curly Hermione
September 10th, 2016, 06:21 AM
sarahthegemini I can't speak for adasteph but I believe egg whites are used as a protein treatment, at least that is what I have used them for on my hair in the past. :flower:
adasteph this could as the others have said be a temporary stall, but I know it must be frustrating. I can only second diet and exercise, and also maybe consider whether you've been under a great deal of stress recently? This can effect hair growth. This must be so irritating for you, sending hugs :grouphug:

Temme
September 10th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Well a rough average hair growth is 1/2 an inch per month, so in a month and a half, a fraction of an inch would be expected. Also like others have said, hair speeds up sometimes and slows down sometimes, so it might be completely normal.

Llama
September 10th, 2016, 06:40 PM
Castor oil and scalp massage maybe? These are both supposed to help with hair growth.
I mix castor oil with coconut oil and massage it into my scalp before washing it.

Horrorpops
September 10th, 2016, 08:25 PM
Definitely maximising circulation to your scalp (via exercise, inversions and massage) and ensuring your body is nourished well (through a varied diet) are the two things I would think would give you the most chance of hair growth.

Unless you've recently suffered a big physical or psychological stress (e.g crash diets or life stress)... Then it could be more of a matter of care and time. :) Hope this was remotely helpful!

Kajzh
September 10th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Everyone made very good suggestions, so definitely try all of them. Also check into your medications to see if any of them are known to cause hair issues.

animetor7
September 10th, 2016, 08:45 PM
If you're in a growth stall you could try wearing your hair up all the time for a while. It might not speed up your growth, but it could take your mind off of it, and will protect your ends from breakage. There's even a thread for it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=102 It's a monster thread, but you certainly don't have to read all of it, just join in if you feel so inclined. In the meantime take good care of yourself, eating well, sleeping enough, and baby your hair. I hope your stall stops soon!! :grouphug:

paulownia
September 12th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Nettle infusion is promoting hair growth- one cup a day, I usually drink nettle for one to three months then I take a break.
Also drinking yeast ( baker yeast dissolved in hot water, I blend in some milk for better taste) hair can grow even 2 cm in a month.

adasteph
September 14th, 2016, 04:43 PM
No scheduled regular exercise but I am on my feet all day at work and get well over the 10 thousand steps a day. Then I come home and chase after my niece and nephew.
My diet is typically pretty good, usually eggs/omelette for breakfast salads or sandwiches for lunch then lean meats, veggies and usually some starch for dinner. I could increase water in take. I usually drink coffee and tea during the day.

adasteph
September 14th, 2016, 04:51 PM
Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I will definitely try these out and maybe get more regimented on the oil treatments and massage. I had bronchitis and pneumonia going on two months so that might have something to do with it.
I also probably need to be more patient;)

adasteph
September 14th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Yes, that is why the egg whites, for the protein. It feels disgusting but it seemed to make a difference.
I have had some stress lately with myself and my family being ill a lot and I recently lost my mom to cancer.
For the texture of my hair, it is fine and straight. I have hypothyroidism and I know if that is not controlled it can lead to hair loss and thinning of hair.
I am looking forward to trying suggestions. All of you have such beautiful hair. I will post a picture of mine once I have those permissions.