PDA

View Full Version : Heavily oiled hair photos

Namratha
September 8th, 2016, 04:48 AM
Hello long haired angels,
As you know, I am obsessed with heavily oiling my hair. We all have different understand of 'heavy oiling' and I wanted to create this thread to show how heavily we oil our hair.

I hope that all of us who does heavy oiling will share the photos of their heavy oiling or their heavily oiled hair.

Here is mine:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/namratha1604/2016-04-12%207_zpsl9gcpvmv.jpg

Looking forward to see your heavily oiled hair photos and would be good to see who oils the 'heaviest' as well ;)

Cheers to you all and happy oiling
Nam

Sarahlabyrinth
September 8th, 2016, 04:56 AM
Gosh that is a lot of oil, but very pretty hair. What kind of oil do you use and how long do you leave it on for? How do you wash it out? I oil my hair but mostly fairly lightly, as my hair is fine and doesn't like an oil overload. A heavy oiling for me would make my hair barely look damp.

lapushka
September 8th, 2016, 04:58 AM
I don't know about heavy oiling. Back when I tried it, I oiled lightly, the lighter the better (you still have to be able to wash it out)!

Namratha
September 8th, 2016, 05:01 AM
Hi Sarahlabyrinth and thank you for your reply. Yes, I do admit that I tend to use really lots lots of oil. I like to saturate my hair with coconut oil. I try to do heavy oiling as often as possible. Being Indian, I have always been brought up to give maximum care to my hair. And of course, for us Indians, we swear by hair oiling. As I told you, my favorite oil is coconut oil. I leave it overnight or for the whole day. In fact, my hair always has oil - as much as I can heavily oiled. I wash it out using soap and I don't really wash it all off. So after drying, my hair will still be a little oily - I can afford that as I am a housewife :rolleyes:

Yes, lots of people do not like this much oil, but I have been doing it over the years and I can say it has always been beneficial to my hair. My mom always said that just like a plant needs water, the hair needs oil.

Take care,
Nam

ETA:

Hi Lapushka, I believe it depends on your hair type. For me, the heavier, the better my hair looks afterwards. If you read about Indian hair care, you cannot go without oil :)
Take care
Nam

pailin
September 8th, 2016, 05:12 AM
Hi Sarahlabyrinth and thank you for your reply. Yes, I do admit that I tend to use really lots lots of oil. I like to saturate my hair with coconut oil. I try to do heavy oiling as often as possible. Being Indian, I have always been brought up to give maximum care to my hair. And of course, for us Indians, we swear by hair oiling. As I told you, my favorite oil is coconut oil. I leave it overnight or for the whole day. In fact, my hair always has oil - as much as I can heavily oiled. I wash it out using soap and I don't really wash it all off. So after drying, my hair will still be a little oily - I can afford that as I am a housewife :rolleyes:

Yes, lots of people do not like this much oil, but I have been doing it over the years and I can say it has always been beneficial to my hair. My mom always said that just like a plant needs water, the hair needs oil.

Take care,
Nam

I like your mom's quote!

Namratha
September 8th, 2016, 05:15 AM
Thank you Pailin... My mom would do anything so that we sit still and allow her to oil our hair so heavily! Good all times :)

Mirabele
September 8th, 2016, 05:16 AM
That was a lot of oil! Your hair is very beautiful so it must work good for you. I like oiling my hair, i enoy it a lot but my hair is fine and thin so i use much less oil even for what i call heavy oiling. I use few drops every day otherwise. I wasnt taught anything about haircare when i grew up so i had no idea hoe to care for my hair for decades, luckily i know more now and my hair is in much better shape than it ever was. I have read about indian hair care and how much coconut oil is used, it must really be good because so many indian women have amazing hair. I think it is so good that things like that are taugth and one learns to care and respect own hair.

Namratha
September 8th, 2016, 05:37 AM
Hi Mirabele, thank you for your comment. Yes, it is actually how I do heavy oiling. I understand that if you hair is fine and thin, you might use less oil. From all the comments, I believe I am the only one using so much oil. I also believe one of the main reasons why Indian women have nice long and black hair is due to their oiling routines. But I am sure you will find the best routine for you and your hair will simply love it too!
Nam

Llama
September 8th, 2016, 06:09 AM
I completely soak my hair in coconut oil if I'm doing a deep treatment type of thing. So you are not alone in your heavy oilings 😊

TatsuOni
September 8th, 2016, 06:11 AM
I do heavy oiling during winters and that is about how much oil I use. I leave it in over night or for one to two days. I sometimes have to oil it some more the day after I first oil it, because my hair sucks in so much of the oil.

Namratha
September 8th, 2016, 06:18 AM
Hi Llama, thanks for your reply. Glad to hear that you like coconut oil as much as I do :) Hope you will also share your heavy oiling / heavily oiled hair photos dear
Take care
Nam

TatsuOni
September 8th, 2016, 06:19 AM
Oh I should also mention that I too use coconut oil.

Namratha
September 8th, 2016, 06:20 AM
Hi TatsuOni, thanks for your reply. Yes, oiling is specially important during winter where the hair tends to become dryer. I also top-up every now and then after doing heavy oiling. Very often, I leave the oil overnight and then add more oil the next morning and oil in the afternoon. My hair are always so thirsty for coconut oil :)
Hope to see your heavily oiled hair photos too dear,
Take care
Nam

TatsuOni
September 8th, 2016, 06:22 AM
Hi TatsuOni, thanks for your reply. Yes, oiling is specially important during winter where the hair tends to become dryer. I also top-up every now and then after doing heavy oiling. Very often, I leave the oil overnight and then add more oil the next morning and oil in the afternoon. My hair are always so thirsty for coconut oil :)
Hope to see your heavily oiled hair photos too dear,
Take care
Nam

It's autumn here so it's soon time to start oiling again:) I will be sure to share a photo when the time comes:)

lapushka
September 8th, 2016, 06:38 AM
Hi Lapushka, I believe it depends on your hair type. For me, the heavier, the better my hair looks afterwards. If you read about Indian hair care, you cannot go without oil :)

All good and well, but I can't let oil touch my scalp due to seborrheic dermatitis (SD), so it varies for people what you can and can't use. There's no one "right" method out there. :)

Oiling the length is fine, that is why I love the rinse-out oil method (see signature, which can also be used on the scalp, but not by everyone).

Namratha
September 8th, 2016, 06:39 AM
Thank you TatsuOni... Looking forward to that :)
Cheers
Nam

Kaya
September 8th, 2016, 06:48 AM
Interesting thread idea! :) I'm another heavy oiler; it's nice to see I've got company. Hullo from a fellow Indian longhair as well!

I haven't actually ever taken a photo of my oiled hair down. Generally, it looks rather piece-y and compacts down quite a bit. I wear it up 99% of the time, for protective reasons. It's nice to think that while my hair is up, it's soaking in oil heaven! :D

I heavy oil pretty much every day, depending on how my hair feels. Sometimes I have to go a bit lighter or a bit heavier, but my hair always ends up looking and feeling oily.

But for me, I use extra virgin olive oil. I used to use coconut oil, but then it started making my hair crunchy, so I switched to EVOO. It's been wonderful! It leaves my hair so soft and manageable. Plus it's cheap as anything to get a giant container and just refill my smaller bottle. (And not worrying about melting it in colder weather!) I've struggled with hard water since living in England, losing some inches and suffering from thinning ends as a result. I like to think that daily heavy oiling in conjunction with a shower filter and regular chelating are helping to balance that out and regain length.

Occasionally, I'll use camellia oil if I feel like a lighter oil or don't feel like a super heavy oiling, but for the most part it's EVOO 7 days a week. Being a bit house-bound at this point in life (not working), it's easy for me to apply to dry hair in the morning and then wash out that night with CO-washing. I can't stand the idea of sleeping with oiled hair. (Plus it would wreak my skin, being acne-prone.)

I generally use a few palm fulls of oil, doing my length and scalp.

I took some photos this morning to show off a hair stick and this one in direct sunlight shows how ridiculously shiny oil makes my hair. :o (And this one in particular seems to really reflect my natural reddish tones for some reason.)

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t548/tanookitail/Hair%20Toys/DSC_0193_zpsovjb03zl.jpg

This isn't actually a heavy EVOO oil day; this is with a lighter, camellia oiling. A heavy oiling makes my hair even sleeker.

Anya15
September 8th, 2016, 06:49 AM
Wow beautiful hair! I am also Indian and I swear by a heavy coconut oil before a wash... I usually leave it overnight. On regular days I use less oil though.

I'll be doing some oiling tonight so will put up a photo then!

triumphator!
September 8th, 2016, 07:29 AM
I like to totally saturate my hair with avocado oil once per week. I'll be sure to get a photo next time, but I know I can't compare with all you Indian beauties :flower:

lithostoic
September 8th, 2016, 08:13 AM
I heavily oil with coconut oil overnight, once a month c: It's hard to wash out, I usually shampoo twice but I leave the hair from the neck down alone. The next few washes it'll come out c: While there is still oil in my hair I like to wear braids and smooth buns like cinnabuns to disguise the oil especially near the roots.

I have medium thickness, medium density hair so I can get away with more oil than say someone with fine thin hair. But my hair is also light in color, so it makes my hair look very dark until it's all washed out! And having straight hair also makes it more obvious.

I will take a photo next time I do it!

Kajzh
September 8th, 2016, 08:58 AM
I am a heavy oiler. After I shampoo and condition my hair, I slather jojoba, argan, and silicone on my hair, then flat twist it so it can stretch my curls while drying. After a day or two, I take the flat twist out, then heat press my hair. The result is shiny, flat hair that is resistant to humidity.

I don't do this to my locks though. Just the bangs. But before I had locks, I would do it to my whole head. :)

DarkChocolate
September 8th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Here is mine. I heavily oil with coconut oil on dry hair. If I put it on wet hair there are little white chucks that form. I saw someone put oil on dry hair in a hair care video and it worked for me. I wash my hair once a week and apply oil the next day and leave it in.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22348&d=1459968909

LadyCelestina
September 8th, 2016, 09:48 AM
I don't really use so much oil as a lighter oiling does the same job for me and is easier to wash out. So I just go with how my hair feels and stop when it feels evenly coated and this might change a bit according to how dry my hair is at the time, if it's really dry it takes more oil to make it feel oily :).

littlestarface
September 8th, 2016, 10:41 AM
I'm a heavy oiler probably add more oil to my hair then you do lol. I'll take a pic next time I do it which will probably be next week before I wash my hair.

DarkChocolate
September 8th, 2016, 10:45 AM
As you know, I am obsessed with heavily oiling my hair. We all have different understand of 'heavy oiling' and I wanted to create this thread to show how heavily we oil our hair.

I hope that all of us who does heavy oiling will share the photos of their heavy oiling or their heavily oiled hair.

Here is mine:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/namratha1604/2016-04-12%207_zpsl9gcpvmv.jpg

Looking forward to see your heavily oiled hair photos and would be good to see who oils the 'heaviest' as well ;)

Nam

I love your hair!

mizukitty
September 8th, 2016, 11:30 AM
The amount of oil I use varies on the type of oil and how oily my scalp already is to begin with. I tend to be pretty heavy handed from the middle to the ends. As an aside, Nam, your hair looks identical to your avatar. *jealous* :)

sumidha
September 8th, 2016, 12:10 PM
I use heavy oil pretty frequently but I don't have any pictures... My hair can definitely soak up a fair amount before looking obviously oiled, maybe a couple tablespoons of coconut oil, or a good tablespoon of olive? But if I'm doing a heavy oiling it's probably closer to a 1/4 or 1/3 of a cup.

enting
September 8th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Sometimes I heavy oil. At those times I use enough to make my hair look actually wet, not just damp, and I leave it in until the next time I wash my hair. There's usually enough to still feel a bit oily even after one shampoo. I don't always heavy oil though.

Namratha
September 8th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Yes Lapushka, I fully agree with you. Each one has her own 'right' way... mine is definitely coating my whole head and length with lots of coconut oil :)
Nam
________

Hello Kaya and thanks for your comment! Nice meeting you too and happy to hear that you are a heavy oiler like me :)

Even I wear my hair up mostly after oiling heavily... my hair remains in a bun most of the time. I cannot braid or tie a pony because otherwise my clothes will get spoilt with the oil from my hair. I took this photo after oiling and before putting my hair in a bun.

I also oil very heavily almost everyday - if not very heavily it will be heavy for sure... so there is always a good amount of oil in my hair. I know coconut oil is a real problem in winter when it solidifies. I see you live in England and I believe Olive oil is good too. But for me, coconut oil remains my favorite oil.

I am also a housewife so I can allow myself to be with very heavily oiled hair during the day and even during the night. But I cannot sleep without oiling my hair and making a braid.

As for my oiling, I tend to pour the oil directly from the bottle on my head and length. So I don't really count how many times I pour, but I just make sure that the whole head and length are saturated with oil - and that somtimes leaves me with oil dripping hair :)

I love your photo and your hair seems to be very healthy and good too. By the way, do you use henna also? The sunlight makes your hair shine so nicely.

I am so looking forward to see your very heavily oiled hair photos dear,

Take care,
Nam
________

Hello Anou, nice meeting you and thanks for your comment. I guess all Indian ladies swear by heavy coconut oiling :) Hoping to see your very heavily oiled hair soon then.
Nam
________

Hello Triumphator (I love your name by the way) :)

Thank you for taking photos of your heavily oiled hair for us ladies... but I am sure that you must be having very nice hair too! This place is of rich of experiences, tips and guidance!
Nam

Kat-Rinnè Naido
September 8th, 2016, 01:14 PM
My heavy oiled hair is 2 teaspoons of an oil mixture of any choice I may have for that moment as a DT. Which takes me almost an hour to try to get as much as I can off my hair and body in the shower; and my hair is still oily for a whole week after oiling.

I never used to oil my hair previously. Since my friends mentioned that they use coconut oil and have always been doing it and they have beautiful hair. I decided to do so. Over zealously I oiled with coconut oil and could not sleep that night. At 3 in the morning I was tempted to go and shower. As my scalp itched so badly I could not sleep. My scalp itched for weeks after that.

I apply a drop or two regularly on my ends and in my conditioner. But I cannot oil heavily using a quarter cup. It is absolutely lovely that some can do so. I love the shiny hair pictures they are beautiful. Thank you for sharing

Namratha
September 8th, 2016, 01:16 PM
I agree with you Lithostoic that washing heavily oiled hair might be tedious. But I don't try to wash out all the oil - but this might not be practical for working ladies. But when you shampoo twice, this might also wash away the natural oils produced by the scalp. I believe you routine is really good - oiled hair looks the best in buns and braids :)
Hope to see your heavily oiled hair photo soon
Take care
Nam

littlestarface
September 8th, 2016, 01:16 PM
My heavy oiled hair is 2 teaspoons of an oil mixture of any choice I may have for that moment as a DT. Which takes me almost an hour to try to get as much as I can off my hair and body in the shower; and my hair is still oily for a whole week after oiling.

I never used to oil my hair previously. Since my friends mentioned that they use coconut oil and have always been doing it and they have beautiful hair. I decided to do so. Over zealously I oiled with coconut oil and could not sleep that night. At 3 in the morning I was tempted to go and shower. As my scalp itched so badly I could not sleep. My scalp itched for weeks after that.

I apply a drop or two regularly on my ends and in my conditioner. But I cannot oil heavily using a quarter cup. It is absolutely lovely that some can do so. I love the shiny hair pictures they are beautiful. Thank you for sharing

I wonder why it made you itch? That's a shame really, for me oil stops the itching, anytime I have a itchy scalp a heavy oiling of vatika hair oil fixes it right up.

I also cannot measure the amount I use I usually just pour it on my scalp and hair from the bottle.

Namratha
September 8th, 2016, 01:17 PM
Hi Kajzh, thanks for your contribution dear. I heard that curly hair is even more fragile than straight hair... but I believe that all types of hair require the same care :)
________

Hello DarkChocolate, thanks for your contribution and photo. Your hair looks very nice too. Some people told me they prefer oiling on wet hair, others dry hair. I guess both ways are good as long as your hair is happy :)
Is this photo showing your heavily oiled hair or is it a normal oiling?
Thanks dear,
Nam
________

Hello LadyCelestina, yes different types of hair requires different amount of oil. I guess most thin hair will not like heavy oiling. But I am glad to see that hair oil is very common amongst us ladies.
Thanks
Nam
________

Hello Littlestarface, thanks for your reply and happy to hear that you are a heavy oiler too. Do you also use coconut oil? Looking forward to see your 'very' heavy oiling photos dear. Sometimes even I tend to oil more but then end up with oil dripping hair :)
Nam
________

The amount of oil I use varies on the type of oil and how oily my scalp already is to begin with. I tend to be pretty heavy handed from the middle to the ends. As an aside, Nam, your hair looks identical to your avatar. *jealous* :)

Thank you Mizukitty... I think my hair is far from being as nice as Pocahontas :) but I am aiming to have as thick and black hair as her lol
Hope you will be sharing your heavily oiled hair photos too
Nam
________

I use heavy oil pretty frequently but I don't have any pictures... My hair can definitely soak up a fair amount before looking obviously oiled, maybe a couple tablespoons of coconut oil, or a good tablespoon of olive? But if I'm doing a heavy oiling it's probably closer to a 1/4 or 1/3 of a cup.

Hello Sumidha, thanks for joining in. I know what you mean by that... sometimes I poured a good amount of oil but still it doesn't look that much oily/wet. As I pour directly from the bottle, hard to know how much I am using :)
Please share your heavily oiled hair photos too
Nam
________

Sometimes I heavy oil. At those times I use enough to make my hair look actually wet, not just damp, and I leave it in until the next time I wash my hair. There's usually enough to still feel a bit oily even after one shampoo. I don't always heavy oil though.

Hello Enting, thanks for your reply. Would you say that a heavy oiling is as I showed in the photo? Or would you be using less / more oil? I hope that next time you plan a heavy oiling, you take some photos for us.
Thanks dear,
Nam
________

Hello Kat-Rinne Naido, thanks for sharing with us. Sad to hear that you cannot do heavy oiling. It might be that the oil did not go with you, maybe some allergies. But in these cases, better play safe as you are doing.
Take care,
Nam

littlestarface
September 8th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Hello Littlestarface, thanks for your reply and happy to hear that you are a heavy oiler too. Do you also use coconut oil? Looking forward to see your 'very' heavy oiling photos dear. Sometimes even I tend to oil more but then end up with oil dripping hair :)
Nam

I use the vatika coconut oil before every wash so much so that it is dripping from my braid lol.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
I wonder why it made you itch? That's a shame really, for me oil stops the itching, anytime I have a itchy scalp a heavy oiling of vatika hair oil fixes it right up.

I also cannot measure the amount I use I usually just pour it on my scalp and hair from the bottle.

littlestarface I think maybe I am allergic to coconut. As I do have a sensitivity to peanut and coconut. I am still learning about my hair. For now coconut on it's own make my ends crunchy but if I mix it with other oils my end are fine. It is only 2 months since I have begun to oil my hair and scalp previous to this my routine was just shampoo and condition. And my hair is looking and feeling much better. I am eager to learn.as I know like the seasons my hair needs change.

Have you always been oiling your hair. And how did you know which oils was the one your hair needed.

Namratha

Agree with littlestarface... If I don't oil, I will end up itching or having a headache! So I always need to have a substantial amount of coconut oil on my hair. I use Parachute coconut oil... this blue bottle has accompanied me from my childhood! I am so hoping to see your heavily oiled hair photos Littlestarface.
Nam

Namratha
September 8th, 2016, 01:35 PM
littlestarface I think maybe I am allergic to coconut. As I do have a sensitivity to peanut and coconut. I am still learning about my hair. For now coconut on it's own make my ends crunchy but if I mix it with other oils my end are fine. It is only 2 months since I have begun to oil my hair and scalp previous to this my routine was just shampoo and condition. And my hair is looking and feeling much better. I am eager to learn.as I know like the seasons my hair needs change.

Have you always been oiling your hair. And how did you know which oils was the one your hair needed.

You might be allergic to nuts dear... and many oils have nuts as base!

littlestarface
September 8th, 2016, 01:39 PM

Yea I always oiled my hair, for which oils I pick the ones that's the best and purest. I just tried a bunch of them one at a time and stick with what helps the most. If it's making you itch or lose hair better not to do again.

Agree with littlestarface... If I don't oil, I will end up itching or having a headache! So I always need to have a substantial amount of coconut oil on my hair. I use Parachute coconut oil... this blue bottle has accompanied me from my childhood! I am so hoping to see your heavily oiled hair photos Littlestarface.
Nam

Very soon, I always live with oil in my hair, since I'm like you and just stay home.

animetor7
September 8th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Shoot! I just washed out my heavy oiling from last night :-( Anyway I do a heavy oiling the night before every wash, so twice a week in the Summer and once a week the rest of the year. I don't use as much oil as Namratha does, but I also have finer hair. What I do is focus on the ends and let my sebum take care of my scalp. Maybe a bit gross, but it works for me. :shrug: I'll take a picture on Saturday night after I do my heavy oiling. As far as type of oil, I prefer coconut oil, but I've been trying to use up some mineral oil I got so I'm currently using that mixed with some coconut oil for my heavy oilings and just coconut oil for every day oiling. What an interesting idea for a thread! I like it! :D

Kat-Rinnè Naido
September 8th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Hello Kat-Rinne Naido, thanks for sharing with us. Sad to hear that you cannot do heavy oiling. It might be that the oil did not go with you, maybe some allergies. But in these cases, better play safe as you are doing.
Take care,
Nam

Thank you Nam for now I am sticking with what works. Although I do use other oils on my scalp and do not get that "itchiness". It's my skin which does not like oils. But for now I am enduring the slight irritations from contact with oil. As I want healthy hair, but not at the expense of my skin.

enting
September 8th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Hello Enting, thanks for your reply. Would you say that a heavy oiling is as I showed in the photo? Or would you be using less / more oil? I hope that next time you plan a heavy oiling, you take some photos for us.
Thanks dear,
Nam

I think I usually use less oil, but I usually put the oil in my hands and then smooth it into my hair. I don't think it has a chance to look quite as slick as your heavy oiling when applied that way. It's hard for me to say, I haven't looked at the back of my head after heavy oiling before :P

Kat-Rinnè Naido
September 8th, 2016, 01:52 PM
You might be allergic to nuts dear... and many oils have nuts as base!

Nam you are a genius. Thank you for your insight

animetor7
September 8th, 2016, 01:58 PM
If you're allergic to nuts you might try jojoba (seed rather than nut), olive oil, and argan oil (I think this is also a seed). I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Good luck!!

Kat-Rinnè Naido
September 8th, 2016, 02:37 PM
If you're allergic to nuts you might try jojoba (seed rather than nut), olive oil, and argan oil (I think this is also a seed). I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Good luck!!

Thank you animetor you are so helpful. I know I am sensitive to edible peanut and coconut. I did not think this would have a negative effect when used externally. But now I am aware. I do have olive oil extra virgin, grape seed oil and hemp oil. My hair loves olive oil and grape seed oil. I have not tried it on my scalp as a DT yet. I shall try it tomorrow evening. Thank you for helping.

lapushka
September 8th, 2016, 02:42 PM
What about grapeseed oil? Would that be a good one? I have no idea, just throwing it out there.

Nadine <3
September 8th, 2016, 02:42 PM
I sometimes heavily oil my length, but never my scalp...and I still don't use nearly this much! To me it just feels like I'm washing it all off and I'm wasting a bunch. I prefer a drop or two each night before I go to bed. By the time wash day comes around, my ends are pretty coated in oil. It is much easier to wash out this way too.

animetor7
September 8th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Thank you animetor you are so helpful. I know I am sensitive to edible peanut and coconut. I did not think this would have a negative effect when used externally. But now I am aware. I do have olive oil extra virgin, grape seed oil and hemp oil. My hair loves olive oil and grape seed oil. I have not tried it on my scalp as a DT yet. I shall try it tomorrow evening. Thank you for helping.

No problem! I'd forgotten about grapeseed and hemp oil. I hope you find something that works!!! If not I know that some people use aloe vera oil or juice as a scalp treatment that might be better if you can't find an oil that works. I hope you find something that works!! :)

DarkChocolate
September 8th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Hi Nam, My picture is heavy oiling on my fine hair:)

Adorkable One
September 8th, 2016, 04:21 PM
I wish I was raised with these practices. I don't oil as much as I used to, but I do use a tiny amount to smooth down my flyaways. My goal is to never use hairspray again. Lol.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
September 8th, 2016, 10:46 PM
Thank you Lapushka as always I appreciate your going the extra to help.
Thank youanimetor you have been very helpful.
I slept on it and decided I am not yet ready to scalp oil but shall stick to my routine of applying a drop or two on my strands every other night or every night, for now, just as Nadine is applying. I use either evoo or grape seed oil

Namratha
September 9th, 2016, 12:18 AM
I use the vatika coconut oil before every wash so much so that it is dripping from my braid lol.

Hello dear, that's really nice to hear... hoping that you will update us soon with your heavily oiled hair photos :)
Nam

Shoot! I just washed out my heavy oiling from last night :-( Anyway I do a heavy oiling the night before every wash, so twice a week in the Summer and once a week the rest of the year. I don't use as much oil as Namratha does, but I also have finer hair. What I do is focus on the ends and let my sebum take care of my scalp. Maybe a bit gross, but it works for me. :shrug: I'll take a picture on Saturday night after I do my heavy oiling. As far as type of oil, I prefer coconut oil, but I've been trying to use up some mineral oil I got so I'm currently using that mixed with some coconut oil for my heavy oilings and just coconut oil for every day oiling. What an interesting idea for a thread! I like it! :D

Hello Animetor7, thanks for your post. Thanks for your sharing your routine too. The ends are the most fragile and exposed part of the hair and that's why it is important to focus on them while oiling. When the hair is put up, the ends are also more protected I feel. Looking forward to your photo on Saturday. I don't actually like mineral oil because I feel they are not natural. Other oils have nuts as base and thus they are natural and better for me. Thanks for your nice comment dear. The thread is interesting thanks to all of you for your contributions.
Nam

I think I usually use less oil, but I usually put the oil in my hands and then smooth it into my hair. I don't think it has a chance to look quite as slick as your heavy oiling when applied that way. It's hard for me to say, I haven't looked at the back of my head after heavy oiling before :P

Hi Enting, thanks for your participation too. We all have our ways of oiling but I am quite lazy to pour oil in my hands first and then massage. As I do heavy oiling, it would require so much effort and thus find it easier to pour the oil directly from the bottle :)

Nam you are a genius. Thank you for your insight

Lol... far from being a genius dear but I know lots of people have allergies to nuts... others to henna... so we need to be careful with what we use as well. As you said, you cannot take the risk of having such a reaction as well.
All the best dear

If I can just add something dear... whatever you are trying, play safe! Use a very little amount to see the reaction first. If that goes fine with you, then you can consider increasing the amount gradually.
Cheers
Nam

I sometimes heavily oil my length, but never my scalp...and I still don't use nearly this much! To me it just feels like I'm washing it all off and I'm wasting a bunch. I prefer a drop or two each night before I go to bed. By the time wash day comes around, my ends are pretty coated in oil. It is much easier to wash out this way too.

Hello Nadine, thanks for sharing your routine. I follow the same routine but it's just that I use much more oil than you do. Washing is always difficult when heavily oiled. In India, we use Shikakai which is perfect for washing heavily oiled hair and removing the oil. But if used on dry hair, the result will end up with very dry hair.

I wash my hair twice a week... once by Wednesday and the other on Sunday. On Wednesday, I will wash with soap only and I will make sure not to remove all the oil from my hair. On Sunday, I will use shampoo but still I will make sure not to remove all the oil from the hair. I use only one application of soap or shampoo.

Hi Nam, My picture is heavy oiling on my fine hair:)

Very nice dear... I guess since you have fine hair, even if you apply a lot of oil it does not look heavily oiled as mine does. But as long as your hair is happy, then good :)

I wish I was raised with these practices. I don't oil as much as I used to, but I do use a tiny amount to smooth down my flyaways. My goal is to never use hairspray again. Lol.

That's a very noble goal dear... Even I try not to use any chemicals at all... that's why I swear by coconut oil :D

littlestarface
September 9th, 2016, 01:36 AM
It's really easy for me to remove my oil from hair, like seriously it takes no effort or multiple shampoos. I usually leave my oil on for days if i'm being even more lazy a week. When I do finally wash I always first use conditioner first to soak in, then I jump in the shower and use only shampoo just to clean my scalp and the rest of my hair is so bouncy and clean, not stripped at all. I have to use oil first, without it my hair feels dry and rough.

It's really a shame so many people have difficulty with cleaning the hair with this, it's really very easy for me anyway.

Namratha
September 9th, 2016, 02:33 AM
It's really easy for me to remove my oil from hair, like seriously it takes no effort or multiple shampoos. I usually leave my oil on for days if i'm being even more lazy a week. When I do finally wash I always first use conditioner first to soak in, then I jump in the shower and use only shampoo just to clean my scalp and the rest of my hair is so bouncy and clean, not stripped at all. I have to use oil first, without it my hair feels dry and rough.

It's really a shame so many people have difficulty with cleaning the hair with this, it's really very easy for me anyway.

Hello Littlestarface, thanks for sharing this tip with us. I will try it next time. I had read before that applying shampoo to oil hair directly without wetting it with water is also a good means of removing oil. But I prefer your way of applying hair conditioner first and then wash it off with shampoo.
Nam

Kaya
September 9th, 2016, 03:38 AM
Hello Littlestarface, thanks for sharing this tip with us. I will try it next time. I had read before that applying shampoo to oil hair directly without wetting it with water is also a good means of removing oil. But I prefer your way of applying hair conditioner first and then wash it off with shampoo.
Nam

I don't even use shampoo. :) Once I take my hair down for the day, I apply a generous amount of conditioner to the oiled hair (no shower water first), clip it up and let it sit while I take care of my teeth. Once I'm in the shower, I save the rinsing until last, so the conditioner can sit for as long as possible. Even my heaviest oiling comes out, leaving my hair soft and manageable.

(Mind, I don't think I'll come close to the amount of oil you can get from pouring it directly from the bottle! :D I'd drip all over the place and we rent!) But it might be worth a shot to try just conditioner-only washing. The only time I actually shampoo my hair is to chelate it, and that is usually about once a month...

Namratha
September 9th, 2016, 04:21 AM
I don't even use shampoo. :) Once I take my hair down for the day, I apply a generous amount of conditioner to the oiled hair (no shower water first), clip it up and let it sit while I take care of my teeth. Once I'm in the shower, I save the rinsing until last, so the conditioner can sit for as long as possible. Even my heaviest oiling comes out, leaving my hair soft and manageable.

(Mind, I don't think I'll come close to the amount of oil you can get from pouring it directly from the bottle! :D I'd drip all over the place and we rent!) But it might be worth a shot to try just conditioner-only washing. The only time I actually shampoo my hair is to chelate it, and that is usually about once a month...

Hi Kaya, thanks for your reply too. I will definitely have to try this. I will be washing my hair on Sunday. For now, my hair is fully saturated with coconut oil. I try to do very heavy oiling during the weekends. The same will apply for my daughters too :)
Nam

Mamabearme
September 9th, 2016, 09:20 AM
I started doing a heavy oiling on my hair a couple months ago. This allowed me to stretch my washes to once a week. Before all the oil I was washing my hair because the ends felt so dry.

I read something in the lock thread about water not oil that keeps the hair from feeling so dry. So this week, before I oiled, I wet my hands several times and ran them through my length to get my hair damp. (I don't have a spray bottle) Then I added my normal amount of coconut oil. The difference is amazing!! My hair feels so good, I can't stop touching it!

I don't know if it's the water/coconut oil combo or the fact that I clarified Sunday and switched up the conditioner/leave-in mix. Long hair care is a lot like cooking for me. When I cook, I'm always winging it - a little of this, a little of that...... It'll turn out great, but who knows what the combo was that made it so good. I can't ever seem to make the same thing twice.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
September 9th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Thank you Nam
I love this thread. It is very informative as well as contains a lot of diversified information. Thank you.

littlestarface
September 9th, 2016, 10:46 AM
Nam

You should definitely try it it works for me every time and conditioner is much more gentler on our hairs then a harsh shampoo and I never have any dull dry hair after. I also use heat on my head with the conditioner on for 30mins or longer if I'm lazy which helps get moisture in my hair.

Anje
September 9th, 2016, 10:56 AM
I started doing a heavy oiling on my hair a couple months ago. This allowed me to stretch my washes to once a week. Before all the oil I was washing my hair because the ends felt so dry.

I read something in the lock thread about water not oil that keeps the hair from feeling so dry. So this week, before I oiled, I wet my hands several times and ran them through my length to get my hair damp. (I don't have a spray bottle) Then I added my normal amount of coconut oil. The difference is amazing!! My hair feels so good, I can't stop touching it!

I don't know if it's the water/coconut oil combo or the fact that I clarified Sunday and switched up the conditioner/leave-in mix. Long hair care is a lot like cooking for me. When I cook, I'm always winging it - a little of this, a little of that...... It'll turn out great, but who knows what the combo was that made it so good. I can't ever seem to make the same thing twice.

I like lightly oiling my hair when it's still damp or right after it's dried following washing, so the oil helps keep the moisture in the hair. Definitely seems to make a difference, though it's a bit difficult to know how much you're applying when hair already looks wet. :) Heavier oiling never seemed to add a whole lot of benefit for me personally, so I don't do it often.

TatsuOni
September 9th, 2016, 11:14 AM
I should mention that I CO-wash my hair and I can get the oil out quite easily, though I'm often lazy and leave some in my lenghts until next my next wash... I wash my hair every other week.

Heavy oiling my scalp makes my hair stay clean longer. If I don't oil it during winters my scalp gets dry and produces more, sebium thus giving me a dry scalp, oily hair and dry ends. So whenever my scalp is dry during winters I heavy oil my scalp and hair and then it's fine for a couple of weeks before I have to do it again. In between I oil my light oil my lenghts a few times a week. During summer my hair doesn't need it. Winters here can be really dry and cold. Last winter we had everything between +10 C and -25 to -30 C.

animetor7
September 9th, 2016, 11:16 AM

I think it depends on what oil you're using as to whether it can lock in moisture or not. Some oils are too big to penetrate the hair shaft therefore they sit on top, which won't do much on it's own, but can help lock in moisture when applied to damp hair (cones will do the same thing, but can be harder to wash off). Other types of oils will penetrate the hair shaft and can moisturize and smooth hair like a conditioner and water, but won't lock in moisture if applied to damp hair. Which type of oil will have which effect depends on your hair type. So for me, olive oil doesn't do anything but sit on top, it's too big and heavy to penetrate my hair, I could probably use a small amount to lock in moisture after showering, but I use a coney serum for that instead. Coconut oil however, absorbs nicely for me moisturizing my hair in between washing. Others have hair that can absorb evoo or can't absorb coconut oil and so on. Like anything else with long hair care, it just takes some experimentation. :)

TatsuOni
September 9th, 2016, 11:19 AM
I think it depends on what oil you're using as to whether it can lock in moisture or not. Some oils are too big to penetrate the hair shaft therefore they sit on top, which won't do much on it's own, but can help lock in moisture when applied to damp hair (cones will do the same thing, but can be harder to wash off). Other types of oils will penetrate the hair shaft and can moisturize and smooth hair like a conditioner and water, but won't lock in moisture if applied to damp hair. Which type of oil will have which effect depends on your hair type. So for me, olive oil doesn't do anything but sit on top, it's too big and heavy to penetrate my hair, I could probably use a small amount to lock in moisture after showering, but I use a coney serum for that instead. Coconut oil however, absorbs nicely for me moisturizing my hair in between washing. Others have hair that can absorb evoo or can't absorb coconut oil and so on. Like anything else with long hair care, it just takes some experimentation. :)

I second this:) My hair sucks up anything. Olive oil and shea oil is no problem for my hair to drink, while my mother who has similar hair can't get any oil at all to penetrate her hair. I does nothing but looking greasy for her.

animetor7
September 9th, 2016, 11:21 AM
I second this:) My hair sucks up anything. Olive oil and shea oil is no problem for my hair to drink, while my mother who has similar hair can't get any oil at all to penetrate her hair. I does nothing but looking greasy for her.

Has she tried almond, argan, or jojoba oil? If not, these are lighter and more likely to absorb. :) The best of luck to both of you!

TatsuOni
September 9th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Has she tried almond, argan, or jojoba oil? If not, these are lighter and more likely to absorb. :) The best of luck to both of you!

She has tried almond oil among other oils and they just doesn't work for her. It's the same with her skin. It can't absorb oils while mine drinks everything. So oil isn't for her, but she tries other stuff and really like CO since I got her to try it:)

September 9th, 2016, 11:34 AM

Here is mine:

Nam

Beautiful! Finally someone understands me! That's exactly how I used to oil my hair! When i washed them out with shampoo then they looked like from commercial! Now I don't use as much oil because I'm able to make them super-sebumy with horn comb and I only have to oil ends. I like grapeseed. I don't have good photos, but my profile pic is with oiled and buned hair. I loved what oiling did to my hair, but I got oil everywhere... On clothing, jewelry, pillows.... I don't have that problem with sebum so I prefer that. Tell me, how do you prevent oil from getting everywhere? And if it does, how do you clean it off from stuff? Right now, with sebumy hair, I gain thickness! My baby hair turned into teen and adult xD. AND I have even more baby hair as well. I rarely wash it off with egg yolk. Most the time I rinse WO and leave them oily to protect them. When I wash them too much they get damaged and tangly. I know I'm gross but that way I have less headaches, it's easier to detangle and gain thickness. And it looks really good on me in bun xD.

animetor7
September 9th, 2016, 11:35 AM
She has tried almond oil among other oils and they just doesn't work for her. It's the same with her skin. It can't absorb oils while mine drinks everything. So oil isn't for her, but she tries other stuff and really like CO since I got her to try it:)

Too bad, oiling can make long hair care easier. But as long as she's happy with what she's doing. :) She could try an SMT rather than oiling if she wants a deep treatment for her hair. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

TatsuOni
September 9th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Too bad, oiling can make long hair care easier. But as long as she's happy with what she's doing. :) She could try an SMT rather than oiling if she wants a deep treatment for her hair. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Honey doesn't work for her either, but I'm not sure if she's tried aloevera. I think that she's experimenting with flaxseed gel for the moment...:)

animetor7
September 9th, 2016, 11:46 AM
You can do SMTs without honey if that would be better, but I've also heard good things about flaxseed gel. The best of luck to her on her long hair care journey!!

RebekahE
September 9th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Sometimes in fits of rage I saturate my hair in oil because I get sick of braid shred and all those annoying terrible flyaways. My hair is lower porosity (It takes a bit for it to be completely soaked when I step in the shower) so I use lighter oils. I was using almond and coconut but I just got some Jojoba oil, I put a few drops in my SMT last night. This evening or tomorrow I will put some on my fingers before I finger comb my hair to distribute it through. But next time I have a temper tantrum with my hair and soak it in oil I'll try to remember to take a picture.

Rowdy
September 9th, 2016, 07:32 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24563&d=1473470780

The heavily oiled ponytail! With coconut oil. My hair is so well behaved when it is drowning in oil :laugh:

(Sorry the picture is huge, the resizing thing wasn't happening)

Anya15
September 10th, 2016, 12:07 AM
I forgot to take a photo of my hair the other day, now y'all will have to wait for my next wash :P

My hair sucks up the oil overnight, though.

September 10th, 2016, 07:54 AM
Yesterday, right after horn comb action - sebumy hair:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24579&d=1473514080
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24581&d=1473514112
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24580&d=1473514099
That's around the house. When going out I prefer combed back hair or side part because middle part gives me that annoying section in the front that separates from rest of the hair, eeew, lol. But I'm trying to change parts around so I'm wearing middle part now to let my hair rest.

Today morning after sleeping:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24582&d=1473514128
Sorry for the floor, as you can see I'm not a housewife, hahah... no like seriously, I should learn how to clean, so embarrassing. -____-

I work (in business) and I have moments when I spend whole day home checking emails and phone (heh) and moments when I'm always out on meetings. It can be easily incorporated into busy lifestyle, you just have to bun them...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24575&d=1473513751
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24577&d=1473513783
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24576&d=1473513762

As you can see, sebumy hair isn't the same as oiled hair (it's a little bit frizzier and not as shiny) but right now I prefer it because sebum doesn't stay on clothing, etc. It's a bit weird because when I'm doing low bun or braid they appear oiled, but when I do top bun it actually looks like this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24573&d=1473513724
Weird, eh?

They also sometimes puff out from me moving while I'm sleeping, heh, that would never happen with oiled hair, oiled hair would stay sleek.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24578&d=1473513799

Sebumy and combed with head down:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24574&d=1473513738

When I used to oil heavily (now I just spread sebum and add grapeseed oil on ends) it looked like on your picture. I used to pour oil on head straight from the bottle. I prefer oiled look to sebumy look because oiled is more protective and shinier, but I hate leaving oil marks everywhere so sebum it is for me now... I still can't remove oil splatter from my favourite clip on earrings.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. *facepalm*

missrandie
September 10th, 2016, 08:17 AM
I inadvertently had to heavy oil the other day.. I used coconut oil on my ends after becoming entangled in fly paper. Then I just kept working more coconut oil in! By the time I was done, I had otter hair and didn't care.

Woke up and clarified to be sure I was rid of the sticky parts from the fly paper. The oiling was glorious, though. I've missed it.

spidermom
September 10th, 2016, 09:27 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/4379fa43-e505-4f2e-89c7-43da9fce173c_zpse8xn2gtq.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/4379fa43-e505-4f2e-89c7-43da9fce173c_zpse8xn2gtq.jpg.html)
I had no idea my hair looked so good with a lot of oil in it. Those short pieces at the top of my head are growing-out bangs.

My method is to wait until the hair at my scalp gets oily from natural sebum. I oil with coconut oil that I rub between my hands and massage down the length several times, then braid for sleeping.

To get it out, I wet my hair, then massage conditioner over the oil and clip it up while I enjoy a sudsy scrub-down in the shower. Then I rinse out the conditioner, wash my scalp with diluted shampoo, rinse, then condition the length again, rinse while combing with the shower comb; done. This almost always removes the oil. I remember a few very hot days when the oil didn't wash out; I don't know why.

My hair is porous and seems to absorb oil easily. It always feels so strong and looks so glossy when I remember to oil before washing. I do not oil my hair after washing it. Sometimes I use a spray-on hair treatment that contains silicones, and I almost always use aloe vera gel between washings as a styling aid. It tames most of my little frizzies.

triumphator!
September 10th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Ta da! Here is my little contribution, as promised.

http://i65.tinypic.com/33mr8tj.jpg
http://i65.tinypic.com/152md7o.jpg

I wrapped it in saran wrap and put a hat on so my body heat will warm it up.

H o n є y ❤
September 10th, 2016, 04:45 PM

I didn't know you had such beautiful hair.😍😍😍

triumphator!
September 10th, 2016, 05:42 PM
I didn't know you had such beautiful hair.������

Oh good gracious, are you really talking to me? :p You are too kind. Frankly, I'm shocked anyone looked at those pictures and had that reaction! It's woefully short to me!

czech it out
September 10th, 2016, 08:05 PM
I love this thread! Here's my contribution - today's deep oiling with sweet almond oil (infused with rosemary and mustard seed).

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24586&d=1473559206

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24585&d=1473559203

Flash was on for maximum shine!

animetor7
September 10th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Not quite as heavy an oiling as some of you other ladies have shown, but here's my typical pre-wash oiling. First I coat my hair in coconut oil then use mineral oil as an occlusive to seal everything in for the night so it can really soak in. :)

Loose:
https://gm1.ggpht.com/y1c3dXy11twdccbI6fBWHJCvxoK1zQzANqM74Ehlon2ny522zi-w3jxC-BBmmCIWq1nBzj_ljsZcv8CESe-EgnxT79fBuMxb92VcUBmk5tgxyZtjMKkzovG0YxHXw6-ocAVK6cmjp3cMnD2QBO4VjQs6JIzDQNUDcw_62gTMMhRUIb3-D-MBipVMbYHvU7LGAUIaC2x-swvfxOm-EL4E7-hgxuvw3MX2HfEM0RIdDmP715lrVaiuEJWQ543i4RkwVLTBQ_Mr s2jW-jqs1aLbEOC-XUX1pmmfI_bm1O39MVBr-wg3J1gVX_P36QH_IwLvBEGzu68vLBbSoo9X-LlEzH1l8z9KEEPm8npvY2Ayt5q_TyGsxrfpbAfdwWo5S4xDL5J JcwpqvW1sSZoZQBq2AYf-lnr36vb2OmCwRDJzD1t2CapoFZh3MUbn2R-N-v4jPchTMomOxDVda-JPwNvs9VL3Jup8PMW1nOrn9wGOqjbAqdT73urne5jZlUqrBDsM hEJ9C-ju4xhvzP4A1i0INBr7SqKx06zShP0NO9sXS6vrC0ChHHVFLf3b-QqNGT-nbP2U4LhEVKO-QoRrDlGWx2-r-o-zeWRWyP5VWyyRBlqZq-jggL1AyUMXQdW1CqX64SUIieKAnFDyoyjmib0ZQEqZkxzpV8VT HJbg_GFInWBH_Z_9aClXtXUYgz8fRbibr6ycxI1DjfM5=w1366-h681-l75-ft

Wrapped into a loose bun for sleep:
https://gm1.ggpht.com/xFVZBS_NqJnzkZi6I8xvHat4Nsa7XJezIz2St5l-4JEpSzeCM3e7ZAEdVZaeraZWAGxJcN9qvUZ-0KvN_Yy1Jg1iDsGSWNLuOLwtun_umWIhS0DzqsJq0wttxMnpSr LnrTr6F9R9WdyMRFz_yp-W1QahqJ6l5Rs0wc7YwMkI2VXNicIBC-zPqPuEtfUP7wmXKoDJjH6xd5vXdT8d9rV6aSnDphyCVN1QV1Y1 56vYeqWpxVdUJZ-3frH5eWVUFR7uT-tvd2JOmRnT-rjqtTx89ZfAh0-kUpzP9GdTAe896NzHLif2wQnczieTr7R_jyQGtqhKI44TdszYY Of3PaYbJsWGs2dgeVtbJaBHWygd3wNyDoXLNSE4kaR8dw5sGBk GtEPEGAmcPWeVJ_vTXZwWumdWVEOgbtC48YjY8qSKLYS66U4UC rAUWdrR47sSRXGUxMwWabB88ldAlpBXymMsF_mfYyhlRgmucyw bN7BIV-QcAxZM_eyVJV_IYQyO3eNJK2cH5a5H6r-Id9ZlJ0wbazhtjUSkRIJ-XzqbrEzZbhlXisEdU2iWlQ5lxa_RiYbi60hzd0_1Z0IePM5JNN EZYM0w0917rTi0c-xnNDO2W5CKEZS8_ADSNjvkK_0S1sX3zwiGOuFONtyhPzaAfe8u C7cifk0rsarSyNSZU3PL9LQ7Zpl5A5K05T72Lp4WmitweOgmVj sykFvdqoJJ=w1366-h681-l75-ft

I think it's interesting how much darker oil makes my hair!! It's usually a fairly bright auburn at the end of the Summer, but here it looks more brown like my mid-winter color. Does anyone else see this effect when oiling their hair?

EDIT: Sorry for the bad lighting, I live in a basement apartment, so there's only so much that can be done in the evenings for good light!

Namratha
September 11th, 2016, 12:57 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24563&d=1473470780

The heavily oiled ponytail! With coconut oil. My hair is so well behaved when it is drowning in oil :laugh:

(Sorry the picture is huge, the resizing thing wasn't happening)

Hello Rowdy, thanks a lot for sharing your heavily oiled hair photo! Indeed, when heavily oiled, the hair behaves nicely... all hair in place and I find it so nice and tidy.
Take care
Nam

September 11th, 2016, 04:43 AM
Triumphator, pretty! Czech, nice!

animetor, yup, oily hair look dark brown and normally I'm blondette (ashy/grayish/lighter brown/golden). With oil they're almost-almost black/dark brown. Oil is darker than sebum.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
September 11th, 2016, 07:30 AM
Thank you for sharing @ spidermom, Triumphator, Czech, Rowdy & animetor. You all have beautiful hair.

Namratha
September 11th, 2016, 10:00 AM
I love this thread! Here's my contribution - today's deep oiling with sweet almond oil (infused with rosemary and mustard seed).

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24586&d=1473559206

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24585&d=1473559203

Flash was on for maximum shine!

Hello Czech it out, thanks a lot for your contribution. Beautiful long hair and nicely oiled
Hope to see more photos coming
Take care
Nam

Hi Triumphator, thanks for your photos! Indeed, they are very lovely and you did a heavy oiling too. Your hair is very beautiful :)
Nam

Not quite as heavy an oiling as some of you other ladies have shown, but here's my typical pre-wash oiling. First I coat my hair in coconut oil then use mineral oil as an occlusive to seal everything in for the night so it can really soak in. :)

Loose:
https://gm1.ggpht.com/y1c3dXy11twdccbI6fBWHJCvxoK1zQzANqM74Ehlon2ny522zi-w3jxC-BBmmCIWq1nBzj_ljsZcv8CESe-EgnxT79fBuMxb92VcUBmk5tgxyZtjMKkzovG0YxHXw6-ocAVK6cmjp3cMnD2QBO4VjQs6JIzDQNUDcw_62gTMMhRUIb3-D-MBipVMbYHvU7LGAUIaC2x-swvfxOm-EL4E7-hgxuvw3MX2HfEM0RIdDmP715lrVaiuEJWQ543i4RkwVLTBQ_Mr s2jW-jqs1aLbEOC-XUX1pmmfI_bm1O39MVBr-wg3J1gVX_P36QH_IwLvBEGzu68vLBbSoo9X-LlEzH1l8z9KEEPm8npvY2Ayt5q_TyGsxrfpbAfdwWo5S4xDL5J JcwpqvW1sSZoZQBq2AYf-lnr36vb2OmCwRDJzD1t2CapoFZh3MUbn2R-N-v4jPchTMomOxDVda-JPwNvs9VL3Jup8PMW1nOrn9wGOqjbAqdT73urne5jZlUqrBDsM hEJ9C-ju4xhvzP4A1i0INBr7SqKx06zShP0NO9sXS6vrC0ChHHVFLf3b-QqNGT-nbP2U4LhEVKO-QoRrDlGWx2-r-o-zeWRWyP5VWyyRBlqZq-jggL1AyUMXQdW1CqX64SUIieKAnFDyoyjmib0ZQEqZkxzpV8VT HJbg_GFInWBH_Z_9aClXtXUYgz8fRbibr6ycxI1DjfM5=w1366-h681-l75-ft

Wrapped into a loose bun for sleep:
https://gm1.ggpht.com/xFVZBS_NqJnzkZi6I8xvHat4Nsa7XJezIz2St5l-4JEpSzeCM3e7ZAEdVZaeraZWAGxJcN9qvUZ-0KvN_Yy1Jg1iDsGSWNLuOLwtun_umWIhS0DzqsJq0wttxMnpSr LnrTr6F9R9WdyMRFz_yp-W1QahqJ6l5Rs0wc7YwMkI2VXNicIBC-zPqPuEtfUP7wmXKoDJjH6xd5vXdT8d9rV6aSnDphyCVN1QV1Y1 56vYeqWpxVdUJZ-3frH5eWVUFR7uT-tvd2JOmRnT-rjqtTx89ZfAh0-kUpzP9GdTAe896NzHLif2wQnczieTr7R_jyQGtqhKI44TdszYY Of3PaYbJsWGs2dgeVtbJaBHWygd3wNyDoXLNSE4kaR8dw5sGBk GtEPEGAmcPWeVJ_vTXZwWumdWVEOgbtC48YjY8qSKLYS66U4UC rAUWdrR47sSRXGUxMwWabB88ldAlpBXymMsF_mfYyhlRgmucyw bN7BIV-QcAxZM_eyVJV_IYQyO3eNJK2cH5a5H6r-Id9ZlJ0wbazhtjUSkRIJ-XzqbrEzZbhlXisEdU2iWlQ5lxa_RiYbi60hzd0_1Z0IePM5JNN EZYM0w0917rTi0c-xnNDO2W5CKEZS8_ADSNjvkK_0S1sX3zwiGOuFONtyhPzaAfe8u C7cifk0rsarSyNSZU3PL9LQ7Zpl5A5K05T72Lp4WmitweOgmVj sykFvdqoJJ=w1366-h681-l75-ft

I think it's interesting how much darker oil makes my hair!! It's usually a fairly bright auburn at the end of the Summer, but here it looks more brown like my mid-winter color. Does anyone else see this effect when oiling their hair?

EDIT: Sorry for the bad lighting, I live in a basement apartment, so there's only so much that can be done in the evenings for good light!

Animetor, unfortunately I cannot see your photos :( I don't know why but it seems that others are seeing it. Bad luck!
Oiling definitely makes the hair darker - I mean when the oil is applied. But in India, a lot of people were using Amla oil which is said to keep the hair dark and slow greying.
Hope to see your photos too
Cheers,
Nam

I inadvertently had to heavy oil the other day.. I used coconut oil on my ends after becoming entangled in fly paper. Then I just kept working more coconut oil in! By the time I was done, I had otter hair and didn't care.

Woke up and clarified to be sure I was rid of the sticky parts from the fly paper. The oiling was glorious, though. I've missed it.

Hello Missrandie, do share your photos with us on your next heavy oiling :)
Nam

Hello 01 and thanks for your photos. The difference between oil and sebumy is obvious. I also prefer oil for the shine and wetlook it gives to the hair. I find it so easy to comb and style heavily oiled hair. But as long as your hair is happy with the sebumy, then it's fine.
Next time that you try a heavy oiling, do remember to click photos for us
Take care
Nam

animetor7
September 11th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Let's try uploading these pictures again, I've heard some people can't see them.

Loose
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f310/animetor77/IMG_2022_zpswcingikd.jpg

In a bun for sleeping
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f310/animetor77/IMG_2026_zps8fzylihi.jpg

Sorry for how big they are and that the first is flipped the wrong way, when trying to re-upload, the sizing and formatting was lost. Nam, that's interesting about the Amla oil. Is it more fashionable in India to have dark hair? I know where I live many bleach their hair or dye it red. Interesting. :)

Namratha
September 12th, 2016, 04:38 AM
Let's try uploading these pictures again, I've heard some people can't see them.

Loose
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f310/animetor77/IMG_2022_zpswcingikd.jpg

In a bun for sleeping
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f310/animetor77/IMG_2026_zps8fzylihi.jpg

Sorry for how big they are and that the first is flipped the wrong way, when trying to re-upload, the sizing and formatting was lost. Nam, that's interesting about the Amla oil. Is it more fashionable in India to have dark hair? I know where I live many bleach their hair or dye it red. Interesting. :)

Hello Animetor, thanks a lot for posting the photos again. Your hair is so nice dear. I love the bun photo... it is just so shiny!! That's the effect of oil and I just love :)
Yes, actually Indian people originally have jet black hair. But as you say, nowadays most people follow fashion and color their hair. The problem is that these colors have a lot of chemical. I remember when I was a child, practically all ladies (young and older) had long black hair. But nowadays, long hair is so rare! But yes, amla is well know to prevent greying.

I will be washing my hair later today... it has been fully drenched in coconut since Friday :)

Take care
Nam

animetor7
September 12th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Hello Animetor, thanks a lot for posting the photos again. Your hair is so nice dear. I love the bun photo... it is just so shiny!! That's the effect of oil and I just love :)
Yes, actually Indian people originally have jet black hair. But as you say, nowadays most people follow fashion and color their hair. The problem is that these colors have a lot of chemical. I remember when I was a child, practically all ladies (young and older) had long black hair. But nowadays, long hair is so rare! But yes, amla is well know to prevent greying.

I will be washing my hair later today... it has been fully drenched in coconut since Friday :)

Take care
Nam

Thanks Nam!! That's one nice thing about having fine hair, it tends towards being shiny a lot of the time, a less nice thing is that it has a tendency to slip out of any updo I try to put it in and spit out the hair toys holding it up. :) Is your scalp bothered by having oil on it for a few days? That's one reason that I never oil my scalp, it doesn't break out with sebum, but coconut scalp oiling means scalp itchies within a few hours and breakouts in a day or so.

lucy.kate1994
September 12th, 2016, 10:27 PM

Here is mine:

Nam

I love your hair and I love this thread! Now I can't wait to finish work and go oil my hair, will post pics later

Namratha
September 12th, 2016, 10:50 PM
I love your hair and I love this thread! Now I can't wait to finish work and go oil my hair, will post pics later

Hello Lucy Kate, thank you for your message and welcome to this thread. We are all eagerly waiting to see your heavily oiled hair photos too :)
Take care
Nam

Thanks Nam!! That's one nice thing about having fine hair, it tends towards being shiny a lot of the time, a less nice thing is that it has a tendency to slip out of any updo I try to put it in and spit out the hair toys holding it up. :) Is your scalp bothered by having oil on it for a few days? That's one reason that I never oil my scalp, it doesn't break out with sebum, but coconut scalp oiling means scalp itchies within a few hours and breakouts in a day or so.

Hello Animetor, yes I believe your hair becomes so silky after washing and sometimes it is hard getting a clip or band to hold well.
Actually, I don't find any problems keeping my hair heavily oiled for days. I think I am used to it since childhood. I rather feel odd if I haven't oiled my hair. I highly believe there is a genetic factor as well so for me keeping both my hair and scalp heavily oiled is not a problem at all.
Take care
Nam

littlestarface
September 13th, 2016, 02:22 PM
I used vatika on the scalp and olive on the length and skin.

https://i.imgur.com/Kq0hQ0f.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NcqWvCg.jpg
My sons room
https://i.imgur.com/WjLHlUv.jpg

lucy.kate1994
September 13th, 2016, 05:10 PM
This is my hair oiled at work today. This is about half of what I use for a deep treatment but I have a long day at work and don't want to be worried about getting oil on my clothes so I will add more tonight when I am home

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah320/lucy_kate1994/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsjjlyekq8.jpeg (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/lucy_kate1994/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsjjlyekq8.jpeg.html)

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah320/lucy_kate1994/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsso4dxyeu.jpeg (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/lucy_kate1994/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsso4dxyeu.jpeg.html)

animetor7
September 13th, 2016, 05:15 PM

http://i.imgur.com/Kq0hQ0f.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NcqWvCg.jpg
My sons room
http://i.imgur.com/WjLHlUv.jpg

What beautiful long dark hair you have!!! It reminds me of Tolkien's description of the Elf Princess Tinuviel!! I wish my hair could take olive oil, but it's too heavy for me and just makes my hair feel crunchy, oh well.

This is my hair oiled at work today. This is about half of what I use for a deep treatment but I have a long day at work and don't want to be worried about getting oil on my clothes so I will add more tonight when I am home

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah320/lucy_kate1994/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsjjlyekq8.jpeg (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/lucy_kate1994/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsjjlyekq8.jpeg.html)

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah320/lucy_kate1994/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsso4dxyeu.jpeg (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/lucy_kate1994/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsso4dxyeu.jpeg.html)

I love how oil makes braids look, all shiny and neat! I also like the variation in color in your hair with both blond and brown bits thrown into the mix. :)

littlestarface
September 13th, 2016, 05:36 PM
What beautiful long dark hair you have!!! It reminds me of Tolkien's description of the Elf Princess Tinuviel!! I wish my hair could take olive oil, but

Wow that's the best compliment I ever got thank you! ^_^ <3

animetor7
September 13th, 2016, 06:02 PM

You're welcome! The darkness, length and light curls of your hair just made me think of her dancing in the moonlight. I'm glad you knew who I was talking about. I'm so far down the Tolkien rabbit hole that I never know whether the reference I'm about to make is common knowledge or if only other fellow Tolkien obsessives will get it. :)

littlestarface
September 13th, 2016, 06:13 PM
You're welcome! The darkness, length and light curls of your hair just made me think of her dancing in the moonlight. I'm glad you knew who I was talking about. I'm so far down the Tolkien rabbit hole that I never know whether the reference I'm about to make is common knowledge or if only other fellow Tolkien obsessives will get it. :)

Lol she's like the most beautiful ever with her night dark hair, I love you for this <3

animetor7
September 13th, 2016, 06:17 PM
Lol she's like the most beautiful ever with her night dark hair, I love you for this <3

XD I'm glad it made you happy. :)

DarkChocolate
September 13th, 2016, 06:42 PM
Does anyone ever feel the need to clarify after multiple heavy oil treatments?

littlestarface
September 13th, 2016, 06:58 PM
Does anyone ever feel the need to clarify after multiple heavy oil treatments?
No, I only feel like that after I use something with cones in it.

XD I'm glad it made you happy. :)

Just my lucky day ^_^

Namratha
September 13th, 2016, 10:57 PM

Hi Lucy Kate, thank you for sharing your photos. So this is not the heaviest oiling that you do then. I hope you will post photos of your heaviest oiling too.
But your hair is very nice and your braid is just so thick :) Great hair dear!
Cheers
Nam

Hi Littlestarface, thank you so much for sharing your photos. Indeed, that's a nice heavy oiling. You have oiled both scalp and length nicely. In my photo, my length didn't seem that much oiled but actually I also coat the length too with lots of oil, and very often it drips a little from the ends. For me, drenching my hair in oil is the best thing I can do for them. Your hair is really so long, nice and black! And I love the photo from your son's room. The sunlight makes your hair so glistening! Lovely!
Don't hesitate to share more photos when you are doing heavy oiling :)
Cheers
Nam

TatsuOni
September 14th, 2016, 01:07 AM
I oiled my hair with coconut oil yesterday and will wash it tomorrow.

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/1_57d8f0f6ddf2b3060d64705d.jpg
I wear my boyfriends old T-shirt for oiling:p

https://cdn1.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/2_57d8f121ddf2b30621eeda81.jpg
I then french braided the hair and covered it with another of BF's old T-shirts. It's my lighter roots that looks lika bald patches...

Namratha
September 14th, 2016, 01:18 AM
I oiled my hair with coconut oil yesterday and will wash it tomorrow.

I wear my boyfriends old T-shirt for oiling:p

I then french braided the hair and covered it with another of BF's old T-shirts. It's my lighter roots that looks lika bald patches...

Hello TatsuOni,

Thank you so much for your nice photos! Your black hair is so shiny when heavily oiled, very nice hair :)

When I oil heavily, I also have those 'bald patches' but I guess it's due to the heavy amount of oil which makes the strands stick together. We are far from going bald :D

I am very happy to see that heavy oiling is a must for all of us who care for our hair!

Thanks again
Nam

TatsuOni
September 14th, 2016, 01:24 AM
Hello TatsuOni,

Thank you so much for your nice photos! Your black hair is so shiny when heavily oiled, very nice hair :)

When I oil heavily, I also have those 'bald patches' but I guess it's due to the heavy amount of oil which makes the strands stick together. We are far from going bald :D

I am very happy to see that heavy oiling is a must for all of us who care for our hair!

Thanks again
Nam

Thank you!

I have natural light brown hair, with natural dark blond highlights so with one month of growth I get this patches:p I hendigo my hair in two steps to get it black:)

Namratha
September 14th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Thank you!

I have natural light brown hair, with natural dark blond highlights so with one month of growth I get this patches:p I hendigo my hair in two steps to get it black:)

That's very nice TatsuOni... I find black hair looks the most shiny when heavily oiled. I also use henna, but I apply it on heavily oiled hair itself so that it does not stain. I use it for conditioning rather.
Nam

Deborah
September 14th, 2016, 12:38 PM
"I am very happy to see that heavy oiling is a must for all of us who care for our hair!"

I do not agree with this statement. Many of us do not oil our hair at all, but take very good care of it in other ways. We mostly just don't comment on threads by those who like to use oil, but I felt I should mention that there are other ways to take very good care of our hair that do not involve adding oil. In certain cultures hair oiling is considered necessary, but others of us find it useless and a waste of time and money. It depends on each person's individual hair I suppose. Mine does not absorb oil and shows no benefit from the use of oil.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. Enjoy using oil and talk about it all you want, but do realize that it is not essential or even beneficial for "all of us who care for our hair."

animetor7
September 14th, 2016, 06:29 PM
I'm putting a bit of coconut oil in before bed to help protect my lengths and ends as they have been fairly exposed in braids for the last two day. And Nam I use Henna for conditioning too, I do it in a conditioner gloss though so it does stain some, but since I'm an auburn-head it doesn't really matter too much as there's no noticeable line at my roots. Besides, I like bringing out my highlights! :)

Good luck everyone!! I'm still impressed with all of you who can manage a scalp oiling with no trouble! Maybe some day. :)

Namratha
September 15th, 2016, 06:56 AM
"I am very happy to see that heavy oiling is a must for all of us who care for our hair!"

I do not agree with this statement. Many of us do not oil our hair at all, but take very good care of it in other ways. We mostly just don't comment on threads by those who like to use oil, but I felt I should mention that there are other ways to take very good care of our hair that do not involve adding oil. In certain cultures hair oiling is considered necessary, but others of us find it useless and a waste of time and money. It depends on each person's individual hair I suppose. Mine does not absorb oil and shows no benefit from the use of oil.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. Enjoy using oil and talk about it all you want, but do realize that it is not essential or even beneficial for "all of us who care for our hair."

Hello Deborah, thanks for your input as well. I stated what you quoted for people who believe that hair oiling is very important. But of course, each one has their own opinion, likes and dislikes. I agree 100% there are many different ways of taking care of the hair, and all these are very subjective. As you rightly pointed out, in depends on the culture and even on genes I believe. So, every one takes care of their hair as per their own believes :)
All the best
Nam

I'm putting a bit of coconut oil in before bed to help protect my lengths and ends as they have been fairly exposed in braids for the last two day. And Nam I use Henna for conditioning too, I do it in a conditioner gloss though so it does stain some, but since I'm an auburn-head it doesn't really matter too much as there's no noticeable line at my roots. Besides, I like bringing out my highlights! :)

Good luck everyone!! I'm still impressed with all of you who can manage a scalp oiling with no trouble! Maybe some day. :)

Hi Animetor, thanks for sharing. Yesterday night I was talking to TatsuOni and she was planning to add more oil to her hair and that encouraged me to add more to my hair as well. You've joined the club of topping up :)
As for henna, since my hair is naturally black, I prefer keeping the natural color. But since your hair is already auburn, the henna color might match for you.
Let's hope some days you will post photos of your heavily oiled hair - both scalp and length ;)
Cheers
Nam

Shiranshoku
September 17th, 2016, 04:17 PM
This thread makes me feel better about how much oil I put in my hair, lol. My SO tends to think I overdo it.

By the way, am I the only one whose hair gets greasy way less quickly after an overnight oiling?

http://i.imgur.com/GKuttla.jpg

animetor7
September 17th, 2016, 04:39 PM
This thread makes me feel better about how much oil I put in my hair, lol. My SO tends to think I overdo it.

By the way, am I the only one whose hair gets greasy way less quickly after an overnight oiling?

Very pretty! I love your natural color, and the twin buns!! I can never get mine even, so I'm impressed. I love how well braids "hide" heavy oiling. Sometimes I'll oil fairly heavily and then put it up in a crown braid for a day or two for a long conditioning/moisturizing treatment, and no one ever knows how stringy and oily my hair is down because the braiding makes a heavy oiling just look shiny and beautiful.

The Ubiquitous
September 17th, 2016, 05:03 PM
My hair loves coconut oil. I regularly do heavy oiling. In my case it does seem the more oil the better. I use it for conditioning, scalp massage, like a serum, pre wash, in my henna... and that's just using it on my hair, never mind everything else I use coconut oil for.
I oil like your pics. I find it relaxing to massage it in and comb it down.
My 5 year old daughter also loves having her hair oiled. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to do a great deal for her hair other than help me pull out her tangles. I'm still trying to figure out what her hair loves - it's so different to mine!

blondecat
September 17th, 2016, 10:53 PM
Gorgeous. Just Stunning <3

TatsuOni
September 18th, 2016, 03:32 AM

My hair gets less greasy for quite some time after a heavy oiling. For me it's because my scalp is less dry after an oiling and therefore produces less sebum.

Shiranshoku
September 18th, 2016, 06:56 AM
Very pretty! I love your natural color, and the twin buns!! I can never get mine even, so I'm impressed. I love how well braids "hide" heavy oiling. Sometimes I'll oil fairly heavily and then put it up in a crown braid for a day or two for a long conditioning/moisturizing treatment, and no one ever knows how stringy and oily my hair is down because the braiding makes a heavy oiling just look shiny and beautiful.

Thanks! I also love the look of oiled braids, they look so shiny. And way less flyaways!

My hair gets less greasy for quite some time after a heavy oiling. For me it's because my scalp is less dry after an oiling and therefore produces less sebum.

That makes sense, it's probably the same thing with my hair.

Namratha
September 19th, 2016, 12:13 AM

Hi Shiranshoku, thanks for your post and lovely photos. Your hair looks so shiny with the oil, very nice. I cannot say that the hair gets greasy less quickly as I tend to oil my hair again after washing. But yes, if the hair is fully nourished, for sure it will look very healthy :)
Thanks
Nam

My hair loves coconut oil. I regularly do heavy oiling. In my case it does seem the more oil the better. I use it for conditioning, scalp massage, like a serum, pre wash, in my henna... and that's just using it on my hair, never mind everything else I use coconut oil for.
I oil like your pics. I find it relaxing to massage it in and comb it down.
My 5 year old daughter also loves having her hair oiled. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to do a great deal for her hair other than help me pull out her tangles. I'm still trying to figure out what her hair loves - it's so different to mine!

Hi Ubiquitous, thanks for your contribution too. Glad to note that you regularly do heavy oiling as well. I totally agree with you that the more oil, the better it is! Yes, hair massaging is just blissful. I always look forward for my mother in law to oil my hair and give me a nice massage. She tends to oil very much (more than what I do) but her massage is just lovely. Every time she massages my hair, I feel so sleepy and it is so nice to have someone do that job for you :)
As for your daughter, I would encourage you to continue oiling her hair too. The effects might not appear right away but in the long run, her hair will be nourished and healthy as well. This is a long process and requires patience and care. I am just sharing my opinion here again and I don't want to generalize, but I believe chemical products can make our hair look nice for some time, but the negative impacts are much more on the long run. While natural products like oil might not show their effects right away, but in the long run it will definitely be beneficial to the hair.
Wish you all the best dear and hope you will also share your heavy oiling photos soon,
Take care
Nam

littlestarface
September 19th, 2016, 02:15 AM
Oiled lots again tonight, had to get tangles out but this time I twin french braided them as i've been practicing and am finally getting okay at it lol
https://i.imgur.com/lvvVogB.jpg https://i.imgur.com/LhJQoO5.jpg

Namratha
September 19th, 2016, 07:22 AM
Oiled lots again tonight, had to get tangles out but this time I twin french braided them as i've been practicing and am finally getting okay at it lol
http://i.imgur.com/lvvVogB.jpg http://i.imgur.com/LhJQoO5.jpg

Hello Littlestarface, hope you are doing. Thanks for your photos again. They are great and the twin braids are so nice. Practice makes perfect. Your hair seems to be less heavily oiled this time dear, did you oil less?
I will try to share one more photo of my heavily oiled hair tomorrow, maybe in a bun or braid. I will see which style I feel to do tomorrow :)
Take care
Nam

littlestarface
September 19th, 2016, 11:28 AM
Hello Littlestarface, hope you are doing. Thanks for your photos again. They are great and the twin braids are so nice. Practice makes perfect. Your hair seems to be less heavily oiled this time dear, did you oil less?
I will try to share one more photo of my heavily oiled hair tomorrow, maybe in a bun or braid. I will see which style I feel to do tomorrow :)
Take care
Nam

It's same oil as before and I added more just last night as well lol.

Namratha
September 19th, 2016, 10:55 PM
It's same oil as before and I added more just last night as well lol.

Hi Littlestarface, yes I think topping up is something quite normal for us ladies who loves hair oiling. As for the photos, I think last time the angle or light made your hair look shinier and that's why I was thinking you had oiled less this time. But nice to hear that you did a heavy oiling as usual. I will try to post other photos of my oiled hair soon.
Take care
Nam

Namratha
September 20th, 2016, 04:37 AM
Hello oil lovers,
I hope you are doing fine. As promised, I am sharing my oiled hair photos but this time in a braid. I find that it is so easy to style the hair when heavily oiled: bun, braid, french braid, twin braid... all made easy with oil :)
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/namratha1604/unnamed%201_zpscxiftzwo.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/namratha1604/unnamed_zpsduhrwvi1.jpg

I hope to see some nice hairstyles with heavily oiled hair from you too :)

Cheers,
Nam

Shiranshoku
September 20th, 2016, 04:49 AM
I'm hesitant to do a french/dutch braid when my hair is oiled. It's quite wet, and I'm afraid to damage it. So I usually stick to twin braids.

ETA: your hair looks lovely, Namratha!

Namratha
September 20th, 2016, 04:52 AM
I'm hesitant to do a french/dutch braid when my hair is oiled. It's quite wet, and I'm afraid to damage it. So I usually stick to twin braids.

ETA: your hair looks lovely, Namratha!

Thank you so much Shiranshoku. I actually find it easier to do a french braid when the hair is heavily oiled. All the hair will stay in place and no hair/strands will be sticking out of place.
Nam

littlestarface
September 20th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Thank you so much Shiranshoku. I actually find it easier to do a french braid when the hair is heavily oiled. All the hair will stay in place and no hair/strands will be sticking out of place.
Nam

Me too I actually find it 10 times easier to do my braids or buns when I have heavy oiled hair, makes it look very sleek and shiny. If my hair was dry those braids would look so bad lol.

Shiranshoku
September 20th, 2016, 03:38 PM
I'll have to try next time. :-)

I tried using the my conditioner this weekend to remove the oil, that did *not* work :D

No harm, no foul though. I'll wash it out tomorrow. I've actually gotten a few compliments on my shiny braids! ;-)

Shepherdess
September 20th, 2016, 11:33 PM
Oh, I love this thread idea! I need to look through the whole thread at all the pictures now! :D

Here is mine today! :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24692&d=1474435897

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24691&d=1474435896

H o n є y ❤
September 21st, 2016, 12:13 AM
Oh, I love this thread idea! I need to look through the whole thread at all the pictures now! :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24692&d=1474435897

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24691&d=1474435896
Wooow, that is some beautiful hair!

TatsuOni
September 21st, 2016, 01:19 AM
If you have problem with removing the oil, you should try putting conditioner in the hair 10-20 minutes before wetting it. I works great that way according to most people and it works for me too.

ETA:

Beautiful!

Is that a horsebrush? I have one that looks similar for my hair that is for horses... Sorry if I'm the only one who's crazy:p

Shepherdess
September 21st, 2016, 08:29 AM
Wooow, that is some beautiful hair!
Aw, thank you! :o

If you have problem with removing the oil, you should try putting conditioner in the hair 10-20 minutes before wetting it. I works great that way according to most people and it works for me too.

ETA:

Beautiful!

Is that a horsebrush? I have one that looks similar for my hair that is for horses... Sorry if I'm the only one who's crazy:p
That is a good idea with the conditioner! I do this sometimes too! :)

Thank you! Yes, that is a horse brush made of goats hair! I really love it because it is so soft and feels nice on the skin!! You are not the only one who is crazy!!! Haha!! I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this too!! :o

Pamberpestana
September 21st, 2016, 01:06 PM
This is a great idea for a thread! I actually thought that when putting oil on hair, alot of oil was needed! Everytime i put oil on my hair and scalp, I use TONS!! My hair really likes when I do this, so I'll most likely continue, and I'll post a photo the next time I oil!

Namratha
September 22nd, 2016, 12:06 AM

Hello Shepherdess, thanks for your contribution and photos. Your hair look so 'golden' and shiny when oiled. Do you do heavy oiling as well? I am sure your hair would be so glistening when heavily oiled... just like gold :)
Take care
Nam

This is a great idea for a thread! I actually thought that when putting oil on hair, alot of oil was needed! Everytime i put oil on my hair and scalp, I use TONS!! My hair really likes when I do this, so I'll most likely continue, and I'll post a photo the next time I oil!

Hello Pamberpestant, thank you for your post. I am sure your hair must be loving loads of oil, just like mine :) We should pamper them so much. Hoping to see your heavily oiled hair photos soon too.
Take care
Nam

Namratha
October 3rd, 2016, 05:39 AM
No more posts from you ladies?
Nam

DarkChocolate
October 3rd, 2016, 08:10 AM
Here is my hair from yesterday.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24827&d=1475503669

XiaoBaiTu
October 3rd, 2016, 11:38 AM
It wasn't particularly heavily oiled, but more than I would usually use if leaving it down. My hair likes oil, but it doesn't absorb it very well so I do have to be careful how much I use if I want to wear it down. If I'm putting it in a braid or bun then no problem, I oil heavily and leave for a whole day or until the oil has soaked in.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24171&d=1470096759

Namratha
October 3rd, 2016, 11:39 AM
Here is my hair from yesterday.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24827&d=1475503669

Hello DarkChocolate, that's such a nice close-up of heavily oiled hair! So shiny and I love your hair.
Which oil did you use? Do you have henna as well? I can see some auburn color.
Thanks for sharing and take care
Nam

Namratha
October 3rd, 2016, 11:41 AM
It wasn't particularly heavily oiled, but more than I would usually use if leaving it down. My hair likes oil, but it doesn't absorb it very well so I do have to be careful how much I use if I want to wear it down. If I'm putting it in a braid or bun then no problem, I oil heavily and leave for a whole day or until the oil has soaked in.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24171&d=1470096759

Hello XiaoBaiTu, thanks a lot for sharing your photo too. Nice, black curly hair by the way. Yes, if your hair does not absorb oil a lot, then better go easy with it. But as long as they are being nourished, they will be happy!
Cheers
Nam

DarkChocolate
October 3rd, 2016, 02:13 PM
I use coconut oil. Yes, I use henna on my dark chocolate hair.

Namratha
October 3rd, 2016, 10:30 PM
I use coconut oil. Yes, I use henna on my dark chocolate hair.

Hello dear, thanks for your reply. Very nice indeed :)

Anya15
October 6th, 2016, 12:23 PM
I oiled and put my hair into two very messy braids :lol: Ignore the layers trying to escape please :p

http://i.imgur.com/T5Gdjdk.jpg

Namratha
October 6th, 2016, 04:18 PM
I oiled and put my hair into two very messy braids :lol: Ignore the layers trying to escape please :p

http://i.imgur.com/T5Gdjdk.jpg

Hello Anou and welcome to this thread. Thank you so much for sharing your photo. Very nice hair, jet black :)
Hope you will be posting more photos of your heavily oiled hair
Thanks
Nam

Kat-Rinnè Naido
October 24th, 2016, 02:46 AM
Aw, thank you! :o

That is a good idea with the conditioner! I do this sometimes too! :)

Thank you! Yes, that is a horse brush made of goats hair! I really love it because it is so soft and feels nice on the skin!! You are not the only one who is crazy!!! Haha!! I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this too!! :o

Shepherdess I was admiring your brush.
Is it much softer to use and better than a bbb
How frequently do you use it.
I'm thinking I got to get one of those

Kat-Rinnè Naido
October 24th, 2016, 04:00 AM
I still enjoy this thread and it is rather tempting. However I know my skin. Maybe next winter

Of the Fae
October 30th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Hm this sounds interesting! I have used oil masks in the past to condition or pull out some old dyes, but I'm not really experienced in this field apart from that and using oil in my ends.
I found that coconut oil makes my hair crunchy, but mineral oil did very well. I'll try jojoba for heavy oil soon. Any tips on how much to use? And how long does one leave it in? How will it not collect dust and get everywhere?

Angye
October 30th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Hi!
I heavily oiled my hair 2 hours ago and actually had to put some oil back in. My hair absorbs really quickly the oil.
http://i64.tinypic.com/15po96w.jpg

littlestarface
October 30th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Hm this sounds interesting! I have used oil masks in the past to condition or pull out some old dyes, but I'm not really experienced in this field apart from that and using oil in my ends.
I found that coconut oil makes my hair crunchy, but mineral oil did very well. I'll try jojoba for heavy oil soon. Any tips on how much to use? And how long does one leave it in? How will it not collect dust and get everywhere?

I usually just put puddles of it in my hand and slather it on and my skin too. I leave it in til I feel like washing my hair which will be anywhere from a day to a week if i'm particularly lazy. I leave mine in braids and buns and it's not too bad with lint but I do comb it with my tangle teezer before I wash my hair to get all the sheds and lint off.

Of the Fae
October 30th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the tip :) I'm going to try!

littlestarface
October 30th, 2016, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the tip :) I'm going to try!

Hope you like it!

TatsuOni
October 31st, 2016, 04:41 AM

I braid my hair and put and old t-shirt over to not get oil on my pillowcase. I leave my oil in for a day or three.

MoniLein
November 6th, 2016, 12:51 PM
my oiled lengths in an english braid, afterwards I oiled my scalp before washing:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y370/istris83/Frisuren/2016/2016-11/20161105_oiled%20hair_zpsuvttdut3.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/istris83/media/Frisuren/2016/2016-11/20161105_oiled%20hair_zpsuvttdut3.jpg.html)

Kirby-oh
November 12th, 2016, 05:40 PM
https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5646/30945376875_40f4eb3ff1_b.jpg

Not enough light hair in this thread.

Eastbound&Down
November 12th, 2016, 05:55 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25247&d=1478998440

Namratha
November 15th, 2016, 12:20 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25247&d=1478998440

Thanks to all of you for your recent contributions... I am so happy to see that this thread is still on. Let's see more of these heavily oiled hair in here :)
Cheers
Nam

TatsuOni
November 16th, 2016, 03:52 AM
I think that it's time for me to oil my hair again, but I'm out of coconut oil, so I have to order it today and wait for it to arrive:p

LadyCelestina
November 16th, 2016, 05:11 AM
my oiled lengths in an english braid, afterwards I oiled my scalp before washing:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y370/istris83/Frisuren/2016/2016-11/20161105_oiled%20hair_zpsuvttdut3.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/istris83/media/Frisuren/2016/2016-11/20161105_oiled%20hair_zpsuvttdut3.jpg.html)

The oil makes your braid look really nice!

I just did an overnight oiling with EVOO after watching a video by some LHC member where she talked about her oiling routine. My hair is very happy today!

littlestarface
November 16th, 2016, 10:28 PM
I was oiling it heavily while I was crown braiding as i'm not leaving my hair down no more. I have habbatul baraka oil on scalp and coconut oil drenched in hair.
https://i.imgur.com/cO1RreV.jpg

Eastbound&Down
November 17th, 2016, 09:02 AM
I was oiling it heavily while I was crown braiding as i'm not leaving my hair down no more. I have habbatul baraka oil on scalp and coconut oil drenched in hair.
http://i.imgur.com/cO1RreV.jpg

Very pretty! I love your hair color! It reminds my of my sister's hair, natural black and pin straight (she got all the native American genes).

Kat-Rinnè Naido
November 18th, 2016, 10:50 PM
Wow MoniLein your hair looks golden when oiled.

I am seeing gorgeous oiled hair here thank you everyone for sharing.

Littlestarface your crown braid is beautiful.

Dessi
November 20th, 2016, 10:31 PM
The last time (and first I believe) I used olive oil.. left it for a few hours, then washed my hair as well as I could and I went to bed. That's how my hair looked the next morning:
Took me about 2 weeks to fully get it out of my hair. Needless to say, I've never used it since.
https://s17.postimg.org/70mfeu7fz/etotova.jpg

TatsuOni
November 21st, 2016, 10:08 AM
https://cdn1.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/1_583329739606ee6f5bcd9ecb.jpg

I'll probably wash it out on wednesday. My scalp is dry and will probably need more oil tomorrow. I don't think that I'll need to put more oil in the lenghts, but we will se...

Edit: So I put around one tablespone on just the scalp yesterday (and more in the hair). After one hour it was gone so I had to add more oil. Today there's no trace of oil in my scalp or roots, so I will continue to oil it until my scalp is "satisfied". I don't have to wash my hands after oiling either. They are dry by them self in around a minute anyway.

OiledHairHero
November 25th, 2016, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=TatsuOni;3327889]https://cdn1.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/1_583329739606ee6f5bcd9ecb.jpg

I'll probably wash it out on wednesday. My scalp is dry and will probably need more oil tomorrow. I don't think that I'll need to put more oil in the lenghts, but we will se...

Edit: So I put around one tablespone on just the scalp yesterday (and more in the hair). After one hour it was gone so I had to add more oil. Today there's no trace of oil in my scalp or roots, so I will continue to oil it until my scalp is "satisfied". I don't have to wash my hands after oiling either. They are dry by them self in around a minute anyway.[/QUOTE

Nice hair and hairdo.

TatsuOni
November 26th, 2016, 04:35 AM
Nice hair and hairdo.

Thank you! :blossom:

littlestarface
November 27th, 2016, 03:31 PM
I went overboard today with oils oops. I have a heat cap on now to absorb it all lol
http://i.imgur.com/66dTgtc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PmUlFzY.jpg

Very pretty! I love your hair color! It reminds my of my sister's hair, natural black and pin straight (she got all the native American genes).

Wow MoniLein your hair looks golden when oiled.

I am seeing gorgeous oiled hair here thank you everyone for sharing.

Littlestarface your crown braid is beautiful.

Oops thanks guys!!!:o It would be in a crown again but I had to do heat cap this time too cold now.

Complexity
November 27th, 2016, 05:22 PM
I need to get a heat cap someday. Right now I'm making do with a scarf + wool hat. I also need to get a camera; my hair today is definitely something for this thread!

Ellethwyn
November 27th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Lol I came across this tthread just after i oiled my hair this evening!

Tonight is my weekly oiling night. I used coconut oil and am letting it stay in my hair a few hours before i take a shower.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5561/31142929242_b322e67b9b_c.jpg

Lizzie.torp
November 27th, 2016, 09:31 PM
I wish I could oil my hair overnight but my cat is always a greaseball in the morning. ;)

Namratha
November 29th, 2016, 12:56 AM
Hello oil lovers, thanks a lot for your contributions. Oiled hair looks so beautiful and so shiny. Ellethwyn, your hair looks so glistening after oiling, just like gold!

Littlestarface, I am sure your hair must be loving all the oil you applied... they will soak in everything :)

Seeing your posts reminds me of oiling my hair too. As usual, it will be a very heavy oiling for me. I just love coconut oil and so does my hair. They are always thirsty :D

Cheers,
Nam

Tonight is my weekly oiling night. I used coconut oil and am letting it stay in my hair a few hours before i take a shower.

I went overboard today with oils oops. I have a heat cap on now to absorb it all lol
http://i.imgur.com/66dTgtc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PmUlFzY.jpg

Oops thanks guys!!!:o It would be in a crown again but I had to do heat cap this time too cold now.

turtlelover
November 29th, 2016, 01:00 AM
Mine just looks stringy, thin, and nasty with lots of oil in it, so thanks but no thanks on the photo thing! LOL

vampyyri
November 29th, 2016, 09:04 AM
I could totally post a picture here right now, my hair is so greasy right now (dang hormones, weather changes...) that it looks like some of the hair in here :lol: :wail:

Long_hair_monk
January 4th, 2017, 06:35 AM
Wonderful pictures

Erinliz
January 4th, 2017, 06:34 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25783&d=1483578173

My hair is so dry I don't even think it looks that oiled even though it has tons of avocado oil from this morning and coconut oil from this evening.:eek:

Long_hair_monk
January 5th, 2017, 05:23 AM
Hi! I liked your oiled hair and topknot. Its indeed looking nice

Mimha
January 5th, 2017, 05:59 AM

Wow, beautiful picture, Ellethwyn ! Your hair color is so richly enhanced by the oil !

I love deep oiling but I'm still adjusting to find the exact amount my hair likes without making it dry like hell when I wash it off. It really bothers me because coconut oil seems to combine so well with my sebum that if I'm not extremely soft when I wash, my hair ends up a dry strawy mess (like if the oil has helped my sebum to dilute away in it, if I may say), and if I don't wash enough it gets awfully gummy. Grrrr !! :mad: :(

Still experimenting because I LOVE massaging my scalp with oil so much ! This bun was my last trial during the Christmas holidays : I scalp massaged coconut oil in it, bunned it and let it stay for a couple of hours. But then, I had to wash my hair 3 times to get rid of the oil !! shudder: and I was afraid my scalp would react like crazy... but it didn't ! :bigeyes: On the contrary, these 3 washings have had a wonderful clarifying effect and my hair is just incredibly clean looking, soft and flowing, after almost a week !... :confused::confused: Lol. I will keep on trying ! ^^

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag408/Mimha/My%20hair/Deep%20coconut%20oiling_bun_zpsgvite7m6.jpg (http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/Mimha/media/My%20hair/Deep%20coconut%20oiling_bun_zpsgvite7m6.jpg.html)

lapushka
January 5th, 2017, 06:24 AM
If you have to wash 3x, Mimha, use *far* less oil. The key is to use just enough oil that one wash will get most of it out, but not quite all of it, so that you are left with soft, and not clarified hair. ;)

Mimha
January 5th, 2017, 06:29 AM
If you have to wash 3x, Mimha, use *far* less oil. The key is to use just enough oil that one wash will get most of it out, but not quite all of it, so that you are left with soft, and not clarified hair. ;)

Yes, you are sure right lapushka ! :D I have to adjust.^^ But... you know... the feeling of totally soaked hair !... :cloud9: Lol. When I first tried, it was after I watched videos of indian heavy oiling : these ladies use up to a ful cup of oil and it's looking so pleasant !.... :p

Anshul585
January 5th, 2017, 06:53 AM
Everyone here has very nice hair. All these pics are awesome even after heavy oiling your hairs look good. Mind get stringy, they look like someone poured a sticky gel on 'em.
See my avatar, my hair was damp and heavily oiled(braided) when I clicked that picture.

Long_hair_monk
January 5th, 2017, 11:01 PM

I liked your long oiled hair. Look simply beautiful.
I would like to make friendship with you

Namratha
January 5th, 2017, 11:34 PM
Everyone here has very nice hair. All these pics are awesome even after heavy oiling your hairs look good. Mind get stringy, they look like someone poured a sticky gel on 'em.
See my avatar, my hair was damp and heavily oiled(braided) when I clicked that picture.

Hello Anshul and all the contributors... Happy New Year 2017 to all of you and thanks for your posts. I am so happy to see this thread still up.

I will encourage all of you to share your heavily oiled hair photos on this thread even for 2017. Whenever you are oiling heavily, just take a pic and put it here :)

Anshul, unfortunately we cannot see your avatar clearly. It would be great if you can post your heavily oiled hair photos directly on the thread dear.

Wish all of you the very best for this new year,

Take care
Nam

Sarahlabyrinth
January 6th, 2017, 01:37 AM
Here's mine, using sweet almond oil. I don't do heavy oiling very often. I usually prefer just a smidgen of oil, but today I'm doing a heavy overnight pre-poo oiling.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF1019.jpg

wispe
January 6th, 2017, 11:34 AM
Yesterday under the scarf: freshly oiled, two dutch braids with the tails pinned up. And today, unbraided before my shower. My hair absorbed a decent amount of it, but not enough I'd have worn it out, or without a scarf on top. But I have a low tolerance for going out oily anyway - it shows up too well on my light strands.
https://i.imgur.com/6nkm45O.jpg?1 https://i.imgur.com/g4uUqPC.jpg?1

pili
January 6th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Apparently I don't use enough oil of my hair really sucks it up. My hair never looks as wet as the pictures here when I heavy oil...or I thought I was heavy oiling...

Lisa Long4Life
May 1st, 2017, 11:45 AM
Joining in, had this bottle of oil for ages (Vatika) but hardly used it because I haven't found the time to sit with it on before washing out. I don't think I could go out with oiled hair (my fringe for starters looks a mess).

https://scontent.flhr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18194083_10154595720713435_4181514338740849581_n.j pg?oh=6b4332ced7fa67e313a97e22972b5083&oe=5990C927

littlestarface
May 1st, 2017, 12:13 PM
I liked your long oiled hair. Look simply beautiful.
I would like to make friendship with you

Oh thank you so much! :smooch:

Namratha
May 2nd, 2017, 08:28 AM
Joining in, had this bottle of oil for ages (Vatika) but hardly used it because I haven't found the time to sit with it on before washing out. I don't think I could go out with oiled hair (my fringe for starters looks a mess).

https://scontent.flhr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18194083_10154595720713435_4181514338740849581_n.j pg?oh=6b4332ced7fa67e313a97e22972b5083&oe=5990C927

Hello Lisa,
Thanks for sharing your photo with us. I am really glad that you brought back life to this thread.

I hope others will contribute as well and we keep this thread alive by sharing our heavily oiled hair whenever we are oiling.

Thanks to all
Nam

Aredhel
May 2nd, 2017, 08:34 AM
Beautifully oiled hair, ladies! :blossom: I don't know if this is just me, but I actually love the look of oiled hair. Not unwashed and dirty-oily, but deliberately oiled and slick, if that makes sense. :p

megthehennahead
May 2nd, 2017, 10:35 PM
I just put Jamaican black castor oil on my roots for the first time (we'll see how it goes) and coconut oil on the lengths. My hair loves coconut oil and I'm hoping the castor will help with thickening.

http://i.imgur.com/uu5Mqo3.jpg

Sarahlabyrinth
May 2nd, 2017, 10:39 PM
This is such a cool thread!

Namratha
May 3rd, 2017, 11:29 AM
I just put Jamaican black castor oil on my roots for the first time (we'll see how it goes) and coconut oil on the lengths. My hair loves coconut oil and I'm hoping the castor will help with thickening.

http://i.imgur.com/uu5Mqo3.jpg

Thanks for your contribution Megthehennahead! Lovely hair and nicely oiled :)
Nam

Namratha
May 3rd, 2017, 11:30 AM
Beautifully oiled hair, ladies! :blossom: I don't know if this is just me, but I actually love the look of oiled hair. Not unwashed and dirty-oily, but deliberately oiled and slick, if that makes sense. :p

100% agree with you Aredhel... the sleek shiny look we get from oil is just awesome! And on top, it is nourishing the hair too :)
Nam

daisy rei
April 26th, 2019, 03:59 PM
I love this thread!

Here is my hair completely soaked in coconut oil:

https://images2.imgbox.com/b6/5b/ICruhQC4_o.jpg

It takes several tablespoons to get it that coated. Afterwards, I twist it up into a teeny weeny bun like this:

https://images2.imgbox.com/bc/d1/Yf3qyckf_o.jpg

Then leave it for 24 hours before washing it out (usually with conditioner only) and voilà! Shiny shiny hair. :D

I prefer doing a heavy oiling once a week instead of oiling on a daily basis. Oh, and I love oiling my scalp. It feels amazing and I don't notice a drastic increase in shedding. I seem to be suffering from a dry scalp and over-moisturized hair lately. :doh:

CosmoCat
May 25th, 2019, 09:14 PM
What about thin hair, is it still helpful to oil ends the night before washing? Are there any better oils for fragile hair? My ends often feel dry and sometimes even brittle. My scalp gets oily easy, after just a couple or so days without shampoo. I’m trying to avoid it on the length now and sometimes only use conditioner. It helps...but curious about piling. Thank you.

CosmoCat
May 25th, 2019, 10:02 PM
(I have trichorrhexis nodosa and hard water.)

Caribbean_girl
June 8th, 2019, 06:22 PM

Here is mine:

Nam

Hello! How often do you oil your hair Namratha? I’m really curious, you have gorgeous hair! 😊❤️

Caribbean_girl
June 8th, 2019, 06:23 PM
Hello! How often do you oil your hair Namratha? I’m really curious, you have gorgeous hair! 😊❤️

Can you oil your scalp everyday?

hollygolightly
June 8th, 2019, 08:49 PM
oil has been sitting on my hair for 10 hours

https://i.imgur.com/4BHp5BF.jpg

Caribbean_girl
June 8th, 2019, 10:03 PM
Does anybody oil their hair everyday? I oil my hair twice a week with amla & Vaadi Herbs Amla Cool Oil. Should I oil regularly/everyday to see faster results?

hollygolightly
June 8th, 2019, 11:51 PM
Caribbean_girl Oiling your hair everyday won't do any harm, it will keep it moisturized and protected. However I wouldn't be so sure about oiling your scalp everyday. It depends if your scalp can handle it, i've read about people in here that have a really dry scalp an oiling on a daily basis or regularly helps them keep their scalp moisturized. Personally, if my scalp starts to itch i'll immediately wash it out, but you have to test and see

Death-Within-Me
March 3rd, 2022, 10:32 AM
(Old thread so I'm not sure if I should reply???)

Either way, I wish I discovered this thread sooner. Ever since learning about South Asian hair culture, I have been obsessed with oils and collecting them. It was actually my Bangladeshi friend that initially kicked my butt to start oiling when I was having hair issues.

I LOVE drenching my hair with oil from scalp to ends and then doing a short massage. It's like giving yourself a mini spa treatment.

My hair pretty much does well with any oils, but I personally like the classic stable: coconut oil.

Also adore almond and avocado oil. I have a bottle of Dabur Amla oil in my shelf and it's just okay, but I still use it.

I want to try sesame and Vatika oil soon.

I'll post a picture when I do another heavy oiling (before washing) on Sunday. :)

clandestine
March 3rd, 2022, 12:43 PM
I want to try sesame and Vatika oil soon.

I've tried the black seed Vatika oil and liked it. The scent is nice and it absorbs well into my hair. I'm sure the other Vatika varieties would be nice as well.

Death-Within-Me
March 3rd, 2022, 12:59 PM
I've tried the black seed Vatika oil and liked it. The scent is nice and it absorbs well into my hair. I'm sure the other Vatika varieties would be nice as well.

Oh that's good to know!

I'll probably try that; thank you~

MusicalSpoons
March 4th, 2022, 06:04 PM
Oh great thread! I've read the beginning and end posts and will have to catch up with the middle 60% when I have more time :D

I fairly heavily oil (although a little less heavy now than I used to) a couple of days before doing a full wash, then use conditioner to get it out - I dampen my hair then apply conditioner an hour or two before washing. I've not long washed though, so it'll be a week and a half to two weeks before I do it again. I use a mix of oils but the base is always babassu, which I think of as 'coconut lite' because it penetrates well and without the crunchiness or high melting point of coconut oil :lol: I do have to warm it up a little most of the year, but it's nowhere near as solid as coconut oil usually is.

Bat
March 5th, 2022, 07:33 PM
I've tried using conditioner to remove oil but it never works, I have to use shampoo. I haven't done a hot oil treatment in so long. But then again I don't have much hair

Death-Within-Me
March 24th, 2022, 03:48 PM
https://64.media.tumblr.com/67a9051d4575c7efef622841cf4b4cb8/eeda32a1e77b1b93-6b/s1280x1920/ec775d990cb42e30c9289b07eee5135edd045c8d.jpg

Here is me right now. I saturated my scalp and hair with black-castor oil, rosemary & peppermint essential oils and olive oil.
It's a spa day lol.