PDA

View Full Version : Do I NEED a trim???

FallingDarkness
September 6th, 2016, 11:41 PM
Don't get me wrong I do not want a trim. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24517&d=1473226560

That is my lovely hair, as of now. My ends are thinning. It seems pretty clear. I'm afraid that it looks bad and is unhealthy, and if that is the case, then I should get something off. I really like my length tho, as I am creeping towards BCL stretched, and don't want to lose any of it. Sigh. Please advise, thank you.

Tosca
September 6th, 2016, 11:54 PM
Your ends starting to thin by about bcl is pretty normal. Are they velcroey, snaggy, ragged, rough? Unless my ends are any of those, I don't trim. You could grow to solid bcl and maintain there for a while, to let the thickness travel down. That's what I'm doing when I hit classic, though I did trim about 0.5cm off to even up my racer hairs last week.

lithostoic
September 7th, 2016, 12:18 AM
Do a microtrim and see how you feel. Yes they do look thinner than the rest of your hair, but they don't look awful. Try protective updos until the thinness grows past BCL then chop them off c: Or maintain at BCL for a while.

restless
September 7th, 2016, 01:05 AM
No, I dont think you need a trim, I think it looks lovely just the way it is :)

Elly May
September 7th, 2016, 03:47 AM
I think it looks great--I wouldn't trim unless there are splits/white dots/snaggy damage. Lovely hair!

HairPlease
September 7th, 2016, 06:12 AM
I say do some micro trims, you can still gain length if you want, or maintain with bigger or more frequent microtrims, if you don't like your ends. I don't see a problem with them, there's no rush to get rid of them. They look pretty to me.

Arctic
September 7th, 2016, 06:34 AM
Do you have braid waves? I notice your ends are straight while the rest of the length is wavy. This might be contributing to your perception of thinner ends. Apparently parandas allow one to braid all the way to the tippy tips, so the waves don't just stop abruptly; maybe that's something you could look into.

As for should you trim? I think you answer this yourself, it doesn't sound like you want to trim.

lapushka
September 7th, 2016, 07:09 AM
Why would you *need* a trim? I see a pretty even hem, besides... is it damaged? If no, then don't cut it.

Anje
September 7th, 2016, 07:53 AM
Ends thin. It's what they do, at least for almost everyone. If you want them thick and blunt, you can trim, but it varies a lot individually whether you'll be able to achieve a given longer length without some thinning, even with regular trims. (My ends are thin at tailbone. 5 years of maintaining at tailbone did not change that completely.)

Or you can let it grow as is. It'll taper and fairytale eventually, but that's OK if you like that aesthetic.

browneyedsusan
September 7th, 2016, 07:57 AM
If you don't have many split ends, I'd leave it alone. :)

sarahthegemini
September 7th, 2016, 09:58 AM
My hair is shorter than yours and my ends are a lot thinner. I wouldn't worry, yours looks lovely.

LongCurlyTress
September 7th, 2016, 10:22 AM
I only trim when my hair starts to tangle alot with alot of shedding during detangling... this means maybe an inch or so every 3 months... I have very curly 3b thick iii hair and those runners/arrow shaped groups of hair seem to velcro around each other. Consequently, I have been maintaining at 35-37 inches (@tbl) since last winter and this did help to thicken out my hemline and it feels great now. I had planned on maintaining and doing this once I reached classic, but I let my hair tell me when to trim. Listen to your hair. Someone else said, unless your hair is tangling/shedding excessively, just leave it and wear it up so you don't think about it or play with it. I always find angel knots when my hair is down since I tend to run my fingers through it. ;( Just listen to your own hair and you will know when/what to do. A tiny microtrim is a great idea to start with at first. You would be surprised just how a tiny trim will help your hemline to feel so much thicker. Remember to evoo your ends if you trim!! :blossom:

Rowdy
September 7th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Do you have braid waves? I notice your ends are straight while the rest of the length is wavy. This might be contributing to your perception of thinner ends. Apparently parandas allow one to braid all the way to the tippy tips, so the waves don't just stop abruptly; maybe that's something you could look into.

As for should you trim? I think you answer this yourself, it doesn't sound like you want to trim.

I second this. The ends don't look thin to me they just look straight while the rest of the hair is wavy.

Complexity
September 7th, 2016, 11:42 AM
I think it looks fine (and agree with Arctic and Rowdy). Really though, it's all about how you feel.

If you don't want to trim, don't! You'll know when it's time :)

trolleypup
September 7th, 2016, 07:36 PM
At a glance? No.

As others have commented, if they aren't extra tangly or show visible damage, then don't trim. If they ARE tangly, an S&D may help...at this length the ends aren't all going to go full length, and damage may not be at the very tips.

YMMV, I prefer softer or fairytale hemlines.

Deborah
September 7th, 2016, 08:09 PM
I agree with those who have said that your ends look straighter than the rest of your hair. That's all. Trim if the ends feel damaged or seem ragged to you. They look fine to me. If you just feel that they need trimming, then just trim a little off, maybe an inch at the most. Maybe that would make you feel better.

Lullilt
September 7th, 2016, 08:17 PM
If you're able to abstain from trimming, I would certainly do so. Obviously do so S&D is needed, but otherwise, unless you really feel you should, I would leave well enough alone. :)

FallingDarkness
September 7th, 2016, 08:25 PM
Thank you all! I'll leave my hair as is for now, then. I was planning on doing some maintaining when I hit BCL/TBL (they are only an inch apart), but did not want to start that just yet because I feel like I'm so close!

Dark40
September 16th, 2016, 08:04 PM
No, I don't think you need a trim either.

yahirwaO.o
September 16th, 2016, 08:06 PM
I would just because I love full ends... but it is completly ok to leave it as it because your hair is gorgeous!!! :o

Sarahlabyrinth
September 16th, 2016, 08:27 PM
I certainly don't think you NEED a trim. Enjoy your hair just the way it is!

animetor7
September 16th, 2016, 08:36 PM
As others have said, your hair certainly seems healthy, and if you're concerned about thin ends, you can microtrim or maintain for a bit and see if they thicken up. If you're concerned about hair health, an S&D session might be helpful. Good luck!!! :)

coco mane
September 16th, 2016, 10:40 PM
If there's no damage to the ends, no need to trim.