PDA

View Full Version : Does picking up your hair make more of it fall out?

janjan831
September 6th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Hello,

So I have pretty thin hair, but I've noticed it's had an increase in thickness in the past year, not by much but just a bit. I've noticed when I pick up my hair everyday, and then hair washing day comes around, a lot of hair falls out. Does this happen to anyone else with thin, straight hair? I'm conflicted as to whether it might be that or the shampoo and conditioner I'm using. I started using an organic brand about 2 weeks ago, but I had used many organic ones before. I switched to a salon brand before using the one I'm using now.

lapushka
September 6th, 2016, 03:56 PM
You really need to measure your ponytail circumference. Keep an eye on that a few times a year. It's perfectly normal to lose more hair during the washing process. How was this before now? Didn't you ever notice? :)

Maybe, if the shampoo bothers you, try switching back to what you were using before... which was... what (brand)?

janjan831
September 6th, 2016, 04:47 PM
How do I measure my ponytail circumference? Also, before now, I was loosing very few hairs, but around 2 months ago, I started washing my hair less and less, which means I was having to pick up my hair more often, and that's when I noticed more started falling out when I washed it. I was using two different shampoos, a clarifying one and a moisturizing one. I would use either one of them depending on how my hair was feeling.

Obsidian
September 6th, 2016, 05:32 PM
What do you mean by pick up your hair? Not familiar with that term. I know the longer I go between washing or the less I comb, the more falls when I do wash.

Anje
September 6th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Just wrap a measuring tape (the flexible fabric kind) around your ponytail, right below the elastic, and pull it snug so you measure hair and not air. It's a good way to monitor your thickness if you suspect your hair might be thinning.

I don't think I shed more when I wear my hair up, but I do that almost always. I do think that the hairs that are shed stay in an updo instead of falling to the ground, though, so I get them next time I comb or wash my hair. Of course, if a hair style pulls uncomfortably, it might be pulling hairs out or encouraging them to shed faster, so it's important that updos always feel comfortable.

If you think you're shedding more since you switched to a new product or started going longer between washes, it's definitely worth going back to what you did before. Not all products and not all routines work for any given person, and it's useless to try to make something work when it doesn't. Some scalps like to be clean and shed hair if they aren't kept that way. That's perfectly acceptable.