PDA

View Full Version : I can successfully use hair fork! Share my excitement!

sarahthegemini
September 5th, 2016, 02:37 PM
Hair is BSL-ish, super fine and irritatingly slippy. Elastics slide out, bobby pins last about 2 and a half minutes, spin pins don't hold, neither do U-shaped pins. Until now, only claw clips would hold but only if I twisted and folded my hair up. Otherwise that'd slide out in minutes. Beak clips work okay and have been my go-to tool of choice. But it has to be positioned a certain way and I'd often get hairs trapped in the hinge.

However, I tried a 2-pronged fork (that I was generously gifted by a member here a couple of years ago). IT FINALLY HOLDS! I am flabbergasted. Occasionally I would try new tools and they'd work as a fluke as a one off and then never again.
But I have bunned my hair everyday this week and secured it with said fork. :happydance:

I have been waiting for the day since I joined here lol. I might even be able to try different buns too!

ETA: Ha, just realised I said 'all this week' and it's only Monday. I meant since last Thursday :)

Cg
September 5th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Hair is BSL-ish, super fine and irritatingly slippy. Elastics slide out, bobby pins last about 2 and a half minutes, spin pins don't hold, neither do U-shaped pins. Until now, only claw clips would hold but only if I twisted and folded my hair up. Otherwise that'd slide out in minutes. Beak clips work okay and have been my go-to tool of choice. But it has to be positioned a certain way and I'd often get hairs trapped in the hinge.

However, I tried a 2-pronged fork (that I was generously gifted by a member here a couple of years ago). IT FINALLY HOLDS! I am flabbergasted. Occasionally I would try new tools and they'd work as a fluke as a one off and then never again.
But I have bunned my hair everyday this week and secured it with said fork. :happydance:

I have been waiting for the day since I joined here lol. I might even be able to try different buns too!

I remember when I too could finally fork my fine, slippery hair instead of using elastics and pins, I think just past BSL. CONGRATULATIONS and enjoy! It's a wonderful feeling and you deserve to revel in your milestone!

vampyyri
September 5th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Woo! Congrats! :applause:

sarahthegemini
September 5th, 2016, 02:45 PM
This is an exciting time for me lol :cheese:

Elly May
September 5th, 2016, 02:48 PM
That's great! It opens up a whole new world..... Thanks for sharing. :)

Hurven
September 5th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Congratulations! :)

lapushka
September 5th, 2016, 03:30 PM

Sticks don't work for me either. However, a 2-prong fork does! And more prongs don't work either. It's odd.

I'm glad you've found something that works well! :) Yay!

EdG
September 5th, 2016, 08:29 PM
Hi five, sarahthegemini! :hifive:
Ed

papayatree
September 5th, 2016, 08:36 PM
Congrats on the big accomplishment!

DweamGoiL
September 5th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Niiiiiiiiiiccccccceeee!!!! Congrats on the new milestone!!! :applause

Kajzh
September 5th, 2016, 09:43 PM
Ooh awesome! I hope to find a fork that works for me. :D

sarahthegemini
September 6th, 2016, 05:30 AM
Thanks everyone :D To think I was planning on chopping my hair off shudder:

Anje
September 6th, 2016, 12:50 PM
Congratulations! I'm glad you found something that works!

(I tend to have good luck with wood 2-prong forks too. Not sure what it is, but they are nice. More prongs means I have to adjust snugness on the updo, which can get tricky to gauge.)

meteor
September 6th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Yay! Congratulationss!! :joy: Sounds amazing! :D I think it will probably hold even better and better as the hair grows longer! :cheer: At least, that has been my experience. :)

sarahthegemini
September 6th, 2016, 04:33 PM
I've already favourite-ed a few forks on etsy. This is a whole new chapter for me. And what's even better is my bun with fork feels a million times more stable than it did with a beak clip. Plus, I don't have to worry about leaning back on the sofa and having a bulky clip dig into my head. Woo!

yogagirl
September 6th, 2016, 05:14 PM
Yay!!! so awesome! Took me until WL too to get forks and sticks to hold reliably.

Have fun with all the new possibilities :)

Kimberly
September 6th, 2016, 05:19 PM
This is forking awesome news! :-)

Complexity
September 6th, 2016, 06:55 PM
This is forking awesome news! :-)

She beat me to it.

Congrats!:happydance:

Saige
September 6th, 2016, 08:03 PM
Congrats! That's a great milestone! Have fun trying new styles :D

sarahthegemini
September 8th, 2016, 12:03 PM
A very great milestone indeed :D

irishsapphire
September 10th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Yay! Love that feeling when we reach an new milestone! Enjoy the wide (and wallet hating) world of forks!