PDA

View Full Version : Postpartum thickness

BonnieU
September 5th, 2016, 12:36 PM
I had my twins 8 months ago and have been shedding ever since :justy: I know the postpartum shed is normal, but I feel like I've lost so much thickness :( My hair had decent thickness to begin with, so I'm only mildly panicking, but will it ever come back?? And is the shedding over with? I also just weaned completely from breastfeeding, does this play a role in that?

Curly276mom
September 5th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Post partum sheds are intense and can last quite a while (but some are fast).

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/hairloss/

It does grow back. I literally have 3x as much hair above my ears as below it, and I had a long shed after each kid, lasting about a year. If you are worried you can get blood tests to make sure all you levels are good, pp thyroiditis is common, as is low iron.

BonnieU
September 5th, 2016, 12:50 PM
Well that makes me feel better! I'll check out the link, thank you!

Adiro
September 5th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Congratulations on having the twins! they are your little miracles and worth all the shedding!
i had my kids back to back ( 1.5 yr apart) and i breastfeed both simultaneously for a very long time.... my shedding was stupendous after the second pregancy, and it lasted about 1.5 yr... mind you I was breastfeeding two kids continuously... eventually shedding slowed down, and new growth slowly happened... i did take biotin and silica for a while, not sure if that helped or not... my hair never reached that thick luxurious feeling that it was while i was pregnant... but i'm not bald or anything... it's normal, pregancy makes for great hair due to all the growth hormones, and then we forget we weren't that well endowed before...

also fr what is worth it, it's good to take the prenatal vitamins for a while longer postpartum, if not continously...i think those help

BonnieU
September 5th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Thank you!! And you are right, it's worth every shed hair for sure :) I'm glad to know it's probably just time that is needed to see improvement.

sumidha
September 5th, 2016, 06:43 PM
There's a postpartum shed support thread around here somewhere, if you can find it...

I think I lost a little less than half an inch of circumference but it is growing back now, at least some of it. I have a lovely halo of regrowth that's around ear length now, and I'm pregnant again, so there's going to be some pretty spectacular accidental layers in my hair over the next couple years. :P

Tosca
September 5th, 2016, 07:18 PM
The thread is probably in the parents forum.

sumidha
September 5th, 2016, 07:41 PM
This is the one I was thinking of: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=127624&page=7

Adiro
September 6th, 2016, 08:17 AM
i loved my hair when i was pregnant, it was the only thing looking better than before...

WillOTree
November 8th, 2016, 02:32 PM
I am finally able to pull my pp shed regrowth up in a ponytail :joy:!!! My hair is finally starting to feel somewhat normal now! I just have this weird thick, to suddenly pretty thin thing going on in my length because of it. Owell, now to kill the time while it grows out.:knit: