PDA

View Full Version : question about sleeping with hair in a bun

Stub
September 5th, 2016, 08:47 AM
So last night I put my hair into a bun on the top of my head to try sleeping in it. Held with 2 claw clips. First of all, it felt like it was pulling when I laid down so I had to adjust the claws several times until they felt OK. They'd be fine when I was standing up but feel like they were pulling when I laid down. I slept well with my hair like that, didn't notice the clips at all in the night. But when I woke up and took the bun down this morning, my scalp felt REALLY weird for several minutes. I am guessing I had the bun too tight and it pulled all night. So my question is, how do you do this sleeping with your hair in a bun thing? If the bun is tight enough to stay bunned through tossing and turning (which I do a lot of) then how do I make it not also pull on my scalp? I normally sleep with my hair in a loose braid but it's getting long enough to strangle me now yet not quite long enough to stay over the pillow if I toss it upward when I first go to sleep, so I am looking for a new way to wear it at night. A sleep cap is not an option, because I can't stand things on my head while sleeping!

PixieP
September 5th, 2016, 09:16 AM
For most it'll take the scalp some time to get used to having an updo for that long, especially if it's very high on your head and you aren't used to high buns. I've sleep with a high smooshed cinnabun/bantu knot held with a satin scrunchie for 3 years or so now, and for the first couple of months my scalp would be tingly and over-sensitive in the morning when taking it down. But by now my scalp is used to having a high bun for hours at a time.

I have tried securing it with other things, like spin pins and claw clips, and the satin scrunchie wins for me every time. When I make the bun I wrap the ends around the base like you do with an LWB and other center-held buns, I can actually make this bun with greasy hair and it holds up for a while without anything securing it. The scrunchie helps keep it in place and I also like to think that it helps protect the hair somewhat, the scrunchie covers almost the entire bun so it doesn't rub around on the sheets.

Stub
September 5th, 2016, 09:21 AM
So it won't damage the hair roots or make it fall out to be a little tight all night and feel tingly in the morning? That's great news! It's what I worried about when it felt funny this morning. Thank you PixieP!
p.s. - I like the satin scrunchie idea!

PixieP
September 5th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Well mine hasn't fallen out yet, so I think you're safe XD it's just your hair roots are not used to being pulled that way. It's kinda the same as when in winter you haven't shaved your legs in a few weeks, and then wear stockings, and when you take them off in the evening the skin feels weird because the leg hair has been pulled upwards all day :P

vampyyri
September 5th, 2016, 09:53 AM
I usually either use a claw clip or spin pins... Spin pins are the most comfortable if you do a cinnabun on top and secure it with a few pins, it also makes for some really nice bun waves the next morning!

Cg
September 5th, 2016, 10:29 AM
I make a braided topknot nautilus with short fat stick. Fat sticks keep the bun tight enough without pulling and stay in despite tossing and turning. It does take a few tries to figure out the right tension and position. You'll get there in no time.

Upside Down
September 5th, 2016, 10:36 AM
If I wear a braid during the day, I sleep in a high lwb held by anything on the shirt side I have handy.
It feels good to change the direction hai is pulling on the roots...

sumidha
September 5th, 2016, 10:40 AM
What about a pony tail with a scrunchie on the top of your head? I do my sleep buns super loose so they don't pull on my scalp or anything, but I'm not sure if BSL is long enough for a loose bun to stay put all night yet.

spidermom
September 5th, 2016, 10:41 AM
I'm a top of head ponytail kind of sleeper. Sometimes I braid the ponytail for added containment.

enting
September 5th, 2016, 11:19 AM
I'm with PixieP, it probably feels weird from the hairs being positioned in a way that they're not used to. As long as you're not bunning too tightly, there shouldn't be a concern of making hair fall out.

When I bun my hair for sleep I do a somewhat loose cinnabun topknot with either spin pins or several hairpins. When I use hairpins, at least one pin usually manages to work its way out by morning, but it does keep my hair contained all night anyway. I know what you mean about it feeling fine when standing but then it pulls when lying down. When that happens, I redo the pin that is pulling while lying down, or I move it to a different spot on my head, or sometimes I just get rid of that pin altogether and rely on the other pins to keep everything together. A scrunchie sounds like a really comfortable idea if it will hold. It definitely sounds worth trying out.

Would you be interested in a satin bun cover? It wouldn't cover your whole head, but it might help keep the bun together and help protect it from tossing and turning. I toss and turn a lot and at some point discovered that if I'm not careful, my topknot rubs a lot against my headboard!

Stub
September 5th, 2016, 11:57 AM
I usually either use a claw clip or spin pins... Spin pins are the most comfortable if you do a cinnabun on top and secure it with a few pins, it also makes for some really nice bun waves the next morning!
I forgot about spin pins! They are pretty comfortable, maybe I'll try that tonight. :)

What about a pony tail with a scrunchie on the top of your head? I do my sleep buns super loose so they don't pull on my scalp or anything, but I'm not sure if BSL is long enough for a loose bun to stay put all night yet.
I'm pretty sure a loose bun would not stay all night. Soon though! :) I've tried the scrunchie ponytail before, either I have to make the scrunchie loose enough that it does not hold (I get migraines from ponytails) or, I get a headache. :(

I'm with PixieP, it probably feels weird from the hairs being positioned in a way that they're not used to. As long as you're not bunning too tightly, there shouldn't be a concern of making hair fall out.

Would you be interested in a satin bun cover? It wouldn't cover your whole head, but it might help keep the bun together and help protect it from tossing and turning. I toss and turn a lot and at some point discovered that if I'm not careful, my topknot rubs a lot against my headboard!
Satin bun cover I could probably stand! It's just things covering my whole head I can't sleep in. :)

Thanks everyone!!

restless
September 6th, 2016, 02:27 AM
Ive tried making top knots with spin pins as well as claw clips in the past, but I never managed to make them work. The bun felt heavy and it pulled and was uncomfortable. Nowadays I usually make a lazy wrap bun held with a thin fork (Ive got a basic Quattro two prong) and make sure the fork grabs some scalp hair when I insert it. That way it doesnt pull when I lay my head down.

Kimberly
September 6th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Ive tried making top knots with spin pins as well as claw clips in the past, but I never managed to make them work. The bun felt heavy and it pulled and was uncomfortable. Nowadays I usually make a lazy wrap bun held with a thin fork (Ive got a basic Quattro two prong) and make sure the fork grabs some scalp hair when I insert it. That way it doesnt pull when I lay my head down.

I sometimes do the same with the same sort of fork. I tend to make the LWB topknot from a low, loose braid, though -- the braid seems to preserve my curls.

lapushka
September 6th, 2016, 02:15 PM
So my question is, how do you do this sleeping with your hair in a bun thing? If the bun is tight enough to stay bunned through tossing and turning (which I do a lot of) then how do I make it not also pull on my scalp? I normally sleep with my hair in a loose braid but it's getting long enough to strangle me now yet not quite long enough to stay over the pillow if I toss it upward when I first go to sleep, so I am looking for a new way to wear it at night. A sleep cap is not an option, because I can't stand things on my head while sleeping!

It's kind of normal that it pulls as the tighter bunning will pull as you move your head on the pillow. You need to *really* loosely ponytail (only one go around of the elastic) or braid or loosely bun for this to work out properly. I think a braid might actually be better (if not started tightly to the nape).

PixieP
September 6th, 2016, 02:53 PM
My hair doesn't pull at night, and I'm a restless rotating sleeper (I sleep equally in my side, back and stomach, constantly shifting throughout the night)

meteor
September 6th, 2016, 03:48 PM
I just take out my stick/fork from my daily braided bun and sleep with that (covered with a silky scarf). Of course, the bun tends to fall apart overnight, but since it's braided, the hair remains pretty contained.
I find that using anything to hold the bun together does create that tension in some areas of the scalp, so I just avoid leaving any tools in my hair overnight.

maco
September 16th, 2016, 02:36 PM
I put the bun on the back of my head (using Amish hair pins, not a clip) and use one of those ergonomic pillows that's thinner at the back of the head and thicker at the neck. I'd be comfortable without any pillow at all, just the bun for a pillow, except I need something under my neck.

Llama
September 16th, 2016, 11:13 PM
The type of claw clip you are using makes a BIG difference as far as how much discomfort and pulling you have. I have found these Goody ones to be the most comfortable for my sleep bun: https://www.walmart.com/ip/10319874?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222228008992377&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=56732806112&wl4=pla-57784396786&wl5=9014916&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=10319874&wl13=&veh=sem

I just use one at the front of my bun and it is comfortable all night and when I wake up in the morning. No pulling.
I have also had good luck with amish hair pins.
If your topknot is pulling or painful it is a good idea not to continue with it in my opinion.

Teazel
September 17th, 2016, 05:48 AM
I do a loose nautilus bun on top of my head, and secure it with a velvet scrunchie. Before putting the scrunchie on I lift the bun up a few inches so that it's not pulling anywhere, then it just sort of rests on my pillow whichever way I lie. It's loose enough that I don't get that awful roots tenderness when I let my hair down in the morning.

Belle Paix
September 17th, 2016, 08:43 AM
I have BSL hair, and have worn my hair in a high bun for months. I use a couple Quattro pins (love!!) to secure it, and have not once woken up with it fallen out. I'll also use a ficcare in a pinch, but don't recommend it :D

Stub
September 17th, 2016, 12:50 PM
I appreciate everyone's answers!!

I've been experimenting with topknots for sleeping and have discovered the single claw clip (like Llama) is the most comfortable for me. Also, sleeping in a topknot is WAY better than the braid for me, because more of my wispy bits are contained so there is no giant halo from tossing and turning in a loose braid all night. I've got Amish hair pins in my cart on Amazon, as soon as I place an order I'll be experimenting with those too. :)