PDA

View Full Version : LHC Secret Hand Signal???

Temme
September 5th, 2016, 07:07 AM
A few days ago at school I noticed a hair stick in a girl's hair. I looked a little closer and saw she was wearing a thick, neat, braided bun. I was thinking, there's nowhere she could have learned that except LHC!!! I didn't want to bother her because she was on her phone, and I didn't want to call her out in the middle of the hallway, but...

I don't have any authority on here, but I've read a lot more than I've posted, and I remember a few years ago some talk about an LHC hand signal, but it was just throwing jokes around like "yell cheese and run away!" Could we actually have a hand signal maybe? Like something subtle? Obviously you don't have to participate if uncomfortable, but it would literally probably make my month to signal to someone and actually get a response back.

lapushka
September 5th, 2016, 07:25 AM
I think it would be easier to just talk to someone. Just imagine she doesn't know LHC, and then there you are with your weird hand signal. :lol: I mean... it would be funny. Woopsie.

parkmikii
September 5th, 2016, 08:37 AM
I think the German LHN had something like this:

The german equivalent of this community (Long Hair Network) (http://www.langhaarnetzwerk.de) actually has a spy movie like recognition call.

You call out: "Helmut!" (this is a rare german first name for men, pronounced 'helmoot'), or if the person is close by you can just ask: "Do you know Helmut?"
And if the target :eyebrows: is from LHN they will answer: "The nights are cold in Moscow."

I like this one, because you can call really loudly and if people react confused you can just pretend that you saw someone you knew.

Found that here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=98138&p=3201855&viewfull=1#post3201855)

lithostoic
September 5th, 2016, 08:48 AM
I feel like that's more awkward than just asking.

-Fern
September 5th, 2016, 08:53 AM
I agree that asking is probably the least awkward, haha. Worst case scenario:

"Hey, I really like how you have your hair! By any chance are you a member at LHC?"

"What's LHC?"

[Insert mini-spiel]

If they aren't already a member, maybe we can recruit 'em. Resistance is Futile. :rolling:

vampyyri
September 5th, 2016, 09:23 AM
I would imagine it would look something like this:

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac27/Nyssa_Gomez/LHC_Handshake_zps4gbxmkfg.jpg
(I think I have abused my photoshop wizardry for the sake of LHC)

DarleneH
September 5th, 2016, 09:57 AM
I may start walking up to fellow long-hairs and say "LHC?" and see their reaction. If they post on here, they should figure that out immediately!

two_wheels
September 5th, 2016, 10:00 AM
I would imagine it would look something like this:

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac27/Nyssa_Gomez/LHC_Handshake_zps4gbxmkfg.jpg
(I think I have abused my photoshop wizardry for the sake of LHC)

:spitting: yes

hayheadsbird
September 5th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Some of the wrap/sling groups on Facebook have something similar. If you see a Tula 'in the wild' (it's a soft structured carrier for baby wearing), you 'caw-caw' and if they answer you know they also frequent the same groups. Personally I just go up and say something about the sling/carrier, and point them towards our local group if they don't already know about it. Few weeks ago a girl walked in to my work wearing her baby, and was delighted when I recognised her sling by name - most folk would just think it was a big strip of material!

I'd love a secret signal for LCH though!

papayatree
September 5th, 2016, 10:19 AM
We need to have a secret signal!

I think a simple phrase would do the trick like, I haven't dyed in a year or I spent my money on sticks.

We need this to have spontaneous meetings

EdG
September 5th, 2016, 10:32 AM
We do have a secret greeting, which is modeled after the greetings used by secret agents to identify each other in classic 1960s television shows. It goes like:

LHCer #1: "There certainly is long hair in this community!"
LHCer #2: "Yes, it's thudworthy. Please pass the cheese." :cheese:

To my knowledge, it hasn't actually been necessary to use this greeting because when one encounters another LHC'er, one just knows. ;)

ETA: We did have a real-life episode last year in which one LHC'er found another LHC'er who had been missing for some time, at a bridge in a foreign country, identified by her hair stick. This was a feat that the CIA, MI5, and Kremlin combined could not have accomplished. ;)

Ed

Stormynights
September 5th, 2016, 10:35 AM
You could just carry a hair toy in your bag and wave it to someone that you don't want to interrupt. If they are a member they would get the message and if not they would know you were referring to their hair toy in some way. If they are curious they will approach you and if not then you will know that they are too busy or not interested in talking to you.

Cg
September 5th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Just talking is probably best. Cultural differences mean a hand signal in your area might be offensive elsewhere.

HairPlease
September 5th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Maybe we could carry a plastic dancing cheese figure around with us, and if we see a suspected longhair, we make the cheese wave at them. :cheese:

BlondeBeauty
September 5th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Or maybe we could just ask one another lol. If they happen to not be apart of LHC, we could introduce them to it!

Hurven
September 5th, 2016, 02:27 PM
I really like the idea of a hand signal, but I think it would be more awkward than just asking someone. :)

browneyedsusan
September 5th, 2016, 06:07 PM
We do have a secret greeting, which is modeled after the greetings used by secret agents to identify each other in classic 1960s television shows. It goes like:

To my knowledge, it hasn't actually been necessary to use this greeting because when one encounters another LHC'er, one just knows. ;)

ETA: We did have a real-life episode last year in which one LHC'er found another LHC'er who had been missing for some time, at a bridge in a foreign country, identified by her hair stick. This was a feat that the CIA, MI5, and Kremlin combined could not have accomplished. ;)

Ed

I didn't know we had a semi-secret greeting?! I am putting that one in my back pocket and hauling out when necessary.

And I totally remember that bridge incident! It was the coolest thing!

papayatree
September 5th, 2016, 06:19 PM
I didn't know we had a semi-secret greeting?! I am putting that one in my back pocket and hauling out when necessary.

And I totally remember that bridge incident! It was the coolest thing!

I wasn't here for that, can somebody link me that scenario?

EdG
September 5th, 2016, 07:18 PM
I wasn't here for that, can somebody link me that scenario?
Majorane Where is that girl? [Epic thread, and she's back!]
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=130297

The Sisterhood of the Travelling Hairtoy
(http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?t=129877&p=3016988)http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?t=129877&p=3016988

This was an adventure worthy of James Bond. ;)
Ed

papayatree
September 5th, 2016, 07:34 PM
Thanks Ed!

vampyyri
September 5th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Majorane Where is that girl? [Epic thread, and she's back!]
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=130297

The Sisterhood of the Travelling Hairtoy
(http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?t=129877&p=3016988)http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?t=129877&p=3016988

This was an adventure worthy of James Bond. ;)
Ed

Oh my god, that's amazing!!! :bigeyes: very heartwarming for sure!

mz_butterfly
September 5th, 2016, 08:34 PM
I was thinking that a good signal would be making the scissor cutting motion at your hair, frowning, shaking your head no and then a throat cutting motion (index finger across the throat) lol

LongCurlyTress
September 5th, 2016, 08:38 PM
I was thinking that a good signal would be making the scissor cutting motion at your hair, frowning, shaking your head no and then a throat cutting motion (index finger across the throat) lol

LOL!! Too funny!! Actually, this sounds pretty good!! :hifive:

Stormynights
September 5th, 2016, 08:54 PM
I still miss that girl. We found her but she didn't stay. She was so much fun here.

Temme
September 6th, 2016, 06:34 AM
You guys are funny. Yes, I suppose being social is another option...:coolblue:

Ed

I love the secret greeting! I think I might try it if I see that girl around again. I would have tried to dig this stuff up, but that's a lot of digging, so thanks everyone.

Alissalocks
September 6th, 2016, 07:22 AM
If I was out in public and someone randomly made scissor motions with their fingers and then threatened to kill me with the slice across the neck motion, I think I'd poop my pants and run away. Just sayin. :run:

I like the thud worthy cheese though.

lapushka
September 6th, 2016, 07:33 AM
If I was out in public and someone randomly made scissor motions with their fingers and then threatened to kill me with the slice across the neck motion, I think I'd poop my pants and run away. Just sayin. :run:

I agree. That might be interpreted pretty badly according to where you live, and if said person turns out *not* to be an LHC member? Ouch. What did you just say? Slicing fingers followed by a motion across the neck - not a good idea!

truepeacenik
September 6th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Certain members have calling cards for the forum. Printed via vistaprint. I recognized the stock design.

irodaryne
September 6th, 2016, 09:59 AM
I mean it's not a secret handshake but I do hand out business cards for the forum.

HairPlease
September 6th, 2016, 11:18 AM
I agree. That might be interpreted pretty badly according to where you live, and if said person turns out *not* to be an LHC member? Ouch. What did you just say? Slicing fingers followed by a motion across the neck - not a good idea!

Yeah. I agree. It comes across as a threat. If I saw someone give me that gesture, I'd run faster than I've ever ran before in my life. Funny idea, though. :rollin:

vampyyri
September 6th, 2016, 11:32 AM

LHC we kill people... with kindness.

lapushka
September 6th, 2016, 02:45 PM
LHC we kill people... with kindness.

Bwahahaha! If we're being KNIT, right? :p Our mods need to keep us in check. ;) How does that translate into a handshake. Oooh difficult one! :lol:

Kimberly
September 6th, 2016, 04:55 PM
We could have special signals like ... I see a longhair across a crowded big box store, so I signal. First I hold up two fingers, then one, then one, then three. This means the longhair I have spotted has a hairtype of 2a F iii. Then he or she signals back 3, 1, 1, 2, acknowledging my hair type.

I also think we need a special hat, like a fez with antlers on top and an opening in the back for a bun, and also a handshake that involves swishing hair around or fist-bumping with braids. ;-)

mz_butterfly
September 6th, 2016, 06:30 PM

I just cracked up at that comment! :D :D :D

Kat-Rinnč Naido
September 6th, 2016, 09:32 PM

Yep! I agree too. A personal approach with genuine conversation works all the time.

Xavien_Grey
September 8th, 2016, 10:07 PM
Can I vote for the tried and true lapel pin...? or is that too old fashioned..? There could be a thread for noobs too about recognizing members by Having the pin design somewhere about themselves...

GoddesJourney
September 8th, 2016, 10:22 PM
Wow, I've been off the grid for a while and I come back to coded greetings...?

This is AWESOME! :)

Temme
September 9th, 2016, 01:09 PM

This is AWESOME! :)

Welcome back GoddesJourney!

Xavien_Grey
September 9th, 2016, 05:14 PM
I second, welcome back!! >.> do you know the password..? :puppy::puppy::puppy:

EdG
September 9th, 2016, 07:32 PM

This is AWESOME! :)I jokingly refer to the LHC as a secret Internet society of longhairs. :lol:
Ed

truepeacenik
September 9th, 2016, 08:13 PM
Jokingly?

That was the joke, right?

EdG
September 9th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Jokingly?

That was the joke, right?Yes, the joke was the paradox of keeping anything secret on the Internet. ;)
Ed

Alissalocks
September 9th, 2016, 10:24 PM
...with Google searches that point right to it. :cheese:

EdG
September 11th, 2016, 07:36 AM
...with Google searches that point right to it. :cheese:... on the first page of a search for "long hair" even. :cheese:
Ed