PDA

View Full Version : Starting over after a long time

Michelle Ravel
September 4th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Hello everyone. I joined this forum ten years ago and was active for awhile. My hair did get longer, curlier, and I was quite happy with it but then life happened. I got married, I had a son, etc.

I still retain many of the lessons I learned ten years ago about treating my hair gently and putting it up, but I let a lot of things slide. I went back to the regular shampoo/conditioner routine to save time. I wore it down more; I washed more. I am known for doing elaborate updos and have a performing career where I can show them off. I rarely use heat but did start to tease my hair (terrible). Four years ago, a great deal of my hair fell out all at once, as happens to so many women after they give birth. I still have a lot of "pieces" from that time that are shorter.

In any case, all that added up over the years and my hair is now in bad condition. It's not as curly. It's always been sort of thin but now looks scraggly. It is very brittle and dry. While I had gotten it to almost waist length a decade ago, it's now at "can I call this BSL?". I just cut off about an inch and a half of damage yesterday and I am resigned to starting over.

So, any advice? Trends are a little different than they were ten years ago. Back then, almost everyone was CO-washing and avoiding cones and now that's not as much of a thing anymore. I'd post a picture of my hair today but I can't figure out how...

DweamGoiL
September 4th, 2016, 06:26 PM
Hi Michelle Ravel - Welcome back! I just wanted to say that I had a similar journey to yours. I joined LHC in 2003, took a 10 year or so hiatus during the time I had a baby, damaged my hair and began dyeing it. When I came back to LHC, it looked dry and was really damaged. That was about 4-5 years ago. My hair has lost some of its thickness because of my genetic makeup, but it's back to a place where I like having it long and it's healthy. You can come back from this. Just be patient and simply work on getting your hair healthy and strong again.

Being a creature of habit, I still use no cones and use shampoo without sulfates, but the current feeling seems to be whatever works is what is best for your hair!

Obsidian
September 4th, 2016, 06:29 PM
Welcome back! I've been here a little over a year, I started growing after I had to chop all my hair back to 1" to get rid of severe damage. I have learned so much here, my hair has never been healthier or looked better.
There is still many members who CO but there are just as many who use sulfates and cones. Personally, I have to use a good clarifying shampoo and a good moisturizing conditioner.
Sounds like you might need a protein treatment followed up by a deep conditioning.

spidermom
September 4th, 2016, 07:05 PM
I noticed early in my membership that the longest and most beautiful hair around here was the product of simple shampoo and condition routines.

Michelle Ravel
September 4th, 2016, 07:14 PM
I will say that I liked the convenience of shampooing. I'd shampoo and then just condition the ends. I think it worked well for quite a long time but over time, my hair got quite dry.

Good idea about the protein treatment! I'll try that soon.

Alissalocks
September 4th, 2016, 08:41 PM
Hopefully it will be easier since you've already learned a lot of good habits and such previously, and with lots of support you can return to what you once grew? I lost a lot of hair after childbirth too, I understand. Hoping it returns nicely.

Arctic
September 4th, 2016, 11:31 PM
Welcome back! I have also been away long periods in between, but it's always been nice to come back. Yes the forum trends have changed a lot. Including hair accessories, if you are into those. :)

Kat-Rinnč Naido
September 4th, 2016, 11:47 PM
Welcome back. I am new. I did experience a major shed due to poor health. But I am now experiencing new growth. I am not rushing to try things out. As there are lots of varying ideas. My hair loves proteins but I just bought a moisturising conditioner which I shall alternate use of. My advice is work slowly and know your hair; like what makes your hair feel good and stick with those. Try not to add to many changes and not to use everything just because it worked for some. Start slowly.

lapushka
September 5th, 2016, 03:43 AM
Welcome back. Yes, viewpoints have changed. IMMHO for the better. I like the variety of washing methods, and we can all choose what works for us best, they peacefully all coexist, I like that. It's less "judgemental" on others that can't go all natural or can't CO-wash for whatever reason. So... yeah.

I hope you find the culprit to the dryness. Otherwise maybe shampoo + condition twice after washing (WCC, yes it is a method). It might help, if you're set on shampooing.

Michelle Ravel
September 5th, 2016, 07:20 AM
Welcome back! I have also been away long periods in between, but it's always been nice to come back. Yes the forum trends have changed a lot. Including hair accessories, if you are into those. :)

Yes, I have noticed this! Ten years ago, it was all Ficcare, all the time, basically. I have some Ficcares from then and I love them. I hear they are not as good anymore?

In any case, my hair is thinner and it feels like a drag to use my large, heavy, Ficcares for my new smaller bun. I'm thinking hair forks are going to be a new thing!

PixieP
September 5th, 2016, 09:19 AM
CWC might work for you (conditioner - shampoo - conditoner), maybe not every time you wash, but every once in a while to help combat dryness.