PDA

View Full Version : Tresemme naturals wrecked my hair??

miss_donya
September 4th, 2016, 02:04 AM
Hello.

I was using tresemme naturals moisture conditioner ( the one with aloe) regularly to CO-wash my hair. After about a month of use and almost finishing the bottle I noticed my hair had gotten ridiculously frizzy, tangly dry and stringy after I apply oil. My hair had never been that bad, at least not for a long time, it’s weird because my hair was now becoming so soft and silky smooth thanks to my new hair regimen from LHC :applause. I suspected that it was neglect since I started a new job, so I did SMTs and clarified my hair. Didn’t work.
I rinsed with AVC. Didn’t work. Until i finally decided to wash my hair without TN (Tresemme naturals) conditioner and then do a deep conditioning treatment, my hair was somewhat better. It has a weird texture when its when gummy tangly sticking to its self so I’m suspecting that it might need protein? it’s better that it was when I was using the TN conditioner but its still frizzy despite all the moisture:(
I have two products that contain protein: Shea moisture super fruit complex 10 mask and the Giovani smooth as silk conditioner (not extreme)
would those be sufficient enough to help my hair? the protein in them is low down the list.

does anyone have any idea what this could be happening from? Tresemme’s Alcohol laced conditioner? weather? ( air conditioner, walking into hot and humid weather and walking back into a cold air conditioned place?)

Tosca
September 4th, 2016, 02:33 AM
I don't think this product is 'alcohol laced'. Yes, it has an ingredient with alcohol in the name, but there are two types of alcohol, normal and fatty. Cetearyl alcohol is a fatty alcohol, it's a waxy solid by itself.

While certainly not an expert on protein treatments (I don't need them) common recommendations on LHC are a gelatine treatment, or using the aphogee 2 step protein treatment or the joico k-pack reconstruct treatment.

lapushka
September 4th, 2016, 05:00 AM
Maybe you need a few more clarify washes after such a long time of CO-washing, then add the Shea Moisture mask. And try this for a few weeks.

That's what I would do, anyway. :)

spidermom
September 4th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Your problem sounds most like buildup to me, and as lapushka said, it can take more than one clarifying wash to remove it. I like the Joico KPak treatment for my hair. I do it about once every 10 days.

Nadine <3
September 4th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Sounds like build up and moisture overload to me. Yes, you can overload on to much moisture! I would use a really cleansing shampoo for a few washes and do the protein treatment that was already suggested.

Johannah
September 4th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Yup, I feel ya. Looks like you over moisturized your hair. I had this problem as well 2 years ago and had the same results as you are having right now. I'd clarify again and do a gelatin (or other protein) treatment.

HairPlease
September 4th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Yep. Clarify a few more times, and clarify really well. Then apply a good protein treatment. That should clear you right up.

littlestarface
September 4th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Tresemme naturals was my god send holy grail conditioner, the only one that ever worked for me like magic. Sounds like what you experienced wasn't cuz the conditioner but more of having to wash your hair to be a clean state once in a while. No matter what the conditioner and how good it is, we all need to have a nice clarifying wash so it can work like magic again.

Anje
September 4th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Evoking others, sounds like you got buildup and over moisturized. Hardly ruined your hair, but it isn't the best conditioner for you. Clarify and try something else, maybe with a little protein in it. Mane n Tail seems like a popular confined among people who benefit from some protein, but probably many products promising strong hair or for damaged hair will provide some. Look for keratin, collagen, and various hydrolyzed whatever proteins on the ingredients list.

young&reckless
September 4th, 2016, 09:59 PM
I second the Joico KPak treatment for buildup, it really removed the gunk that other methods leave behind so you can strait fresh.

miss_donya
September 10th, 2016, 04:20 AM
My hair is feeling better now after I followed the recommendations on this thread. I used SM’s super fruit complex mask and left it for longer than usual to get the protein benefit and giovanni’s Smooth as silk conditioner. ( those are the only proteiney - silicone free conditioners I currently own) My hair seemed to be better before it dried the first time but became a rat’s nest after it dried( I applied my usual organ oil) the second time I used a very small amount of oil because I was suspecting that the oil had something to do with what happened to it and it turned out to be better. My hair isn’t as silky smooth as it was before and I’m not sure why, Im planning on getting a heavier protein treatment and then follow it with an SMT. My question is, is it possible for hair to suddenly decide it doesn’t like an oil? my hair seemed to LOVE Argan oil but I’m suspecting it doesn’t like it anymore. has this happened to anyone before?

eadwine
September 10th, 2016, 06:11 AM
You're 20 now.. who knows what you changed from your teen years into adulthood, but yes, hair can suddenly not like something anymore. You'll figure it out, just go to a very basic routine to begin with, nothing fancy, and see what your hair responds well to, and you can go from there. I would cut the oil altogether if you find that that is causing issues. Just don't overdo things by swinging drastically from one side to the other, by either overoiling, or overmoisturizing.

Good luck!

Silverbrumby
September 10th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Clarify then clarify again. Use basic conditioner. No protein poo, no oil. If your hair was silky before this build up adding protein is only going to complicate issues.

miss_donya
September 11th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Clarify then clarify again. Use basic conditioner. No protein poo, no oil. If your hair was silky before this build up adding protein is only going to complicate issues. I did, maybe the products I’m using are too heavy for my hair. I was using the Shea moisture-moisture retention shampoo and alternating heavy conditioners.
the oiling my hair with Argan oil. one of the conditioners already has that as an ingredient.

You're 20 now.. who knows what you changed from your teen years into adulthood, but yes, hair can suddenly not like something anymore. You'll figure it out, just go to a very basic routine to begin with, nothing fancy, and see what your hair responds well to, and you can go from there. I would cut the oil altogether if you find that that is causing issues. Just don't overdo things by swinging drastically from one side to the other, by either overoiling, or overmoisturizing.

Good luck!

I agree with what you’re saying, however, I just started the oiling thing a few months ago and my hair was so soft and silky I couldn’t believe it. I did notice one thing though,when I use Argan oil on my hair after second or third day of washing it gets a weird texture almost crunchy dry and it doesn’t seem to help with tangles that I get after the second day.So could it be the oil?

animetor7
September 11th, 2016, 01:02 PM
It sounds like what you're experiencing now in terms of crunchiness and dryness might be build-up (yes still! It can take a lot to really get rid of everything!!) and/or protein overload. You might also be experiencing buildup from hard water, which can't be solved with a regular clarifying wash. You're going to need a chelating shampoo to get rid of hard water buildup. I'd say try clarifying again with a chelating shampoo and then use a very simple conditioner possibly an SMT and see how things feel. Good luck!! :)

Ambystoma
September 11th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Yep, I'm going to chime in with the K-pak chelating clarifying shampoo love - we have hard water so I use it once a month (I shampoo every wash so I'm only really dealing with hard water build up, not so much conditioner/product) and it keeps things softer. I thought I was going to have to cut a few inches after a few months of CO washing but that shampoo made everything feel great again :)

I tried out the Tresemme naturals conditioner for CO washing my toddler's ultra fine hair and after just 2 washes he had build up, so we clarified with some diluted K-pak and used a different conditioner and it went back to normal.