PDA

View Full Version : Sad and depressed, damaged hair :(

Alethia97
September 3rd, 2016, 05:19 PM
I am relatively new. Ive always had good hair, and relatively virgin (no dyes or processing, minus a few experiments when younger). So last year I took my daughter to get a color correction, and I ended up making an appt to get my hair hightlighted...id seen this girls work before and she had a way of doing super natural looking highlights. I loved it.....but within that very month, my hair began breaking. I do apply a little heat to it most days, because I work for a Dairy in coolers, very early mornings and wanted my semi-thick hair to be dry....but in the past when I did that, my hair was decently healthy-in face people would comment how healthy it was for long hair; I had always been able to "get away with" a little heat because otherwise my hair was untouched. When I told my stylist of the damaged feel to my hair and the breakage, she had me go in for a Olaplex treatment. Ive since done a few more, but the hair is still breaking and getting shorter. Ive probably lost about 3 inches in a year....like new hair is growing, but its breaking off more rapidly than it can grow. I tried coconut oil, and I realize now I applied too much as it was very greasy and weighed down...I guess you shoudl only use a few drops....my hair is medium volume and medium thickness for a caucasian woman, with natural waves, curls, and straight pieces all mixed....that being said, it can get weighed down easily, and look limp if too much conditioner. Im sure as far as conditioning, im doing something wrong to make it weighed down...like too much oil, etc.

So, my questions: 1. was my hair overprocessed? I see women get their hair colored all the time....then they apply heat etc....and their hair doesnt seem to have broken like my somehwat virgin hair. UGH, it makes me mad! I am wondering if my experience to have reasonably healthy hair damaged so easily means it was an "oops" moment by my stylist, or is this just what coloring does to hair? I mean who could live with breaking hair from one coloring, that they would continue color???(My hair is dark blone with natural golden blond hihglights when it is sunned....I had her add more golden highlights as I hadnt been in sun at all for a few years and it got dark). 2. There is likely another 2 inches that could be cut off to reduce the split, breaking ends....but then I think that will not cut off everything that was highlighted anyway, thus I will probably be just waiting for more of the ends to need cutting, until all of this highlighted hair grows out.......Ive never had short or medium length hair and the thought makes me crazy. How should I handle this/suggestions? Besides a serious lesson learned????

vampyyri
September 3rd, 2016, 05:56 PM
Have you tried using protein treatments and moisturizing treatments to restore your hair?

What does your current hair care routine look like?

Also I would suggest lowering the amount of heat styling, if not eliminating it entirely... if it's too hot for your skin, imagine how it would burn the hair!

meteor
September 3rd, 2016, 06:41 PM
I'd try a strong protein treatment: e.g. Aphogee 2-step, Joico K-Pak Reconstruct, Redken Extreme Strength Plus or DIY gelatin mask (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html).

Also, processed hair tends to do well with penetrating oils (e.g. coconut), ceramides and 18-MEA.

Since damage cannot be reversed and is cumulative, it's important to avoid additional damage, so I'd completely cut out heat-styling, if at all possible. :flower: Using wide-tooth combs and/or fingers only is often preferred to brushing on processed hair, and I'd be especially careful to avoid any wet brushing. To limit friction and mechanical damage, I'd try wearing hair up in low-manipulation updos as much as possible and sleeping with hair contained (braided, bunned, wrapped, etc) and on silky smooth materials (pillowcases, bonnets...). And if possible, it would be good to limit chlorine and sun exposure, since they also add up...

Also, I'd recommend checking out this article by Nightshade on rehabilitating damage: http://web.archive.org/web/20120125071723/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79 and this article on Science-y Hair Blog on managing elasticity and porosity (highlighted hair is more porous than virgin hair): http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/03/managing-elasticity-and-porosity-in-hair.html

lapushka
September 4th, 2016, 07:03 AM
So, my questions: 1. was my hair overprocessed? I see women get their hair colored all the time....then they apply heat etc....and their hair doesnt seem to have broken like my somehwat virgin hair. UGH, it makes me mad! I am wondering if my experience to have reasonably healthy hair damaged so easily means it was an "oops" moment by my stylist, or is this just what coloring does to hair? I mean who could live with breaking hair from one coloring, that they would continue color???(My hair is dark blone with natural golden blond hihglights when it is sunned....I had her add more golden highlights as I hadnt been in sun at all for a few years and it got dark). 2. There is likely another 2 inches that could be cut off to reduce the split, breaking ends....but then I think that will not cut off everything that was highlighted anyway, thus I will probably be just waiting for more of the ends to need cutting, until all of this highlighted hair grows out.......Ive never had short or medium length hair and the thought makes me crazy. How should I handle this/suggestions? Besides a serious lesson learned????

Yes, I would say it is definitely overprocessed if it starts breaking off. I would give up on the highlighting if you want to save your growth. That *and* heat is just not a good combination. Never mind what *other* women can and can't do. This is *your* hair, and obviously it can't handle this much processing and heat on top of it.

I would start doing full-on protein treatments. meteor has given you some tips on that, I'm sure!

I would cut a few inches off, if it's breaking off, that's the best you can do for it. Just go slow, and microtrim as we call it here (snip a tiny bit off monthly).

Nini
September 4th, 2016, 07:14 AM
Hair, as everything else, is very individual. So what works for "everyone" else might not do the trick for you.

I have fine hair, and I don't really oil as even a tiny bit make it look stringy.

Good luck trying to find a routine that works for you, and remember, don't try everything all at once! :)

Mirabele
September 4th, 2016, 08:05 AM
I doesn't have to be that your hair is overprocessed, but you can not treat virgin hair and higlihhted hair in the same way. Also, everybodys hair is different, some may tolerate more and some will not. I kind of think hair tolerates either heat or bleach but not both. If you had highlights your hair is already weakened and may not tolerate heat in the same way as before. You may consider some moisturising masks or oils and air drying.

My hair doesn't tolerate any bleach. It would never grow more than apl, then thin and break off. My sister has bleached hair at waist ( she doesn't use any heat though).

Johannah
September 4th, 2016, 11:10 AM
I'd try a strong protein treatment: e.g. Aphogee 2-step, Joico K-Pak Reconstruct, Redken Extreme Strength Plus or DIY gelatin mask (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html).

Also, processed hair tends to do well with penetrating oils (e.g. coconut), ceramides and 18-MEA.

Since damage cannot be reversed and is cumulative, it's important to avoid additional damage, so I'd completely cut out heat-styling, if at all possible. :flower: Using wide-tooth combs and/or fingers only is often preferred to brushing on processed hair, and I'd be especially careful to avoid any wet brushing. To limit friction and mechanical damage, I'd try wearing hair up in low-manipulation updos as much as possible and sleeping with hair contained (braided, bunned, wrapped, etc) and on silky smooth materials (pillowcases, bonnets...). And if possible, it would be good to limit chlorine and sun exposure, since they also add up...

Also, I'd recommend checking out this article by Nightshade on rehabilitating damage: http://web.archive.org/web/20120125071723/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79 and this article on Science-y Hair Blog on managing elasticity and porosity (highlighted hair is more porous than virgin hair): http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/03/managing-elasticity-and-porosity-in-hair.html

Exactly this! I don't think you can get better advise than this :) I'd also cut off the last couple of inches as prevention. If they are breaking off already, you're better safe than sorry. Otherwise the damage will creep up anyway.

Good luck :flower:

Arctic
September 4th, 2016, 12:05 PM
You've gotten great advice already. I just wanted to point out that you could continue blowdrying (I assume that is the source of heat you refer to) but only use cool to warm air and not the highest speed. These settings are pretty hair friendly. Skip any agressive brushing also that itself is damaging, and don't let your lengths whip in the air flow - keep them controlled with your other hand. If you search the forums you will find people, me for example, describe in detail how they use the blowdryer without damage to hair.

Don't use any heat styling tools that come in direct contact with your hair for now, those tend to be very damaging almost universally (of course there are always those few people who seem to be able to iron their hair daily for years without a hint of damage :laugh:).

Alethia97
September 4th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Yes, I would say it is definitely overprocessed if it starts breaking off. I would give up on the highlighting if you want to save your growth. That *and* heat is just not a good combination. Never mind what *other* women can and can't do. This is *your* hair, and obviously it can't handle this much processing and heat on top of it.

I would start doing full-on protein treatments. meteor has given you some tips on that, I'm sure!

I would cut a few inches off, if it's breaking off, that's the best you can do for it. Just go slow, and microtrim as we call it here (snip a tiny bit off monthly).

OK, that is what I'm doing, like a half inch per month, but it keeps getting shorter. I guess I used a little heat when my hair was virgin, but with this highlighting, my hair reacts too badly to the combination. Ty for your reply.

spidermom
September 4th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Some hair can take a lot of abuse and still look great. Other hair cannot. My hair is in the cannot category. I once had highlights, and the hair that was bleached fluffed up and kind of floated above the hair that was not bleached. It was NOT a good look.

lapushka
September 4th, 2016, 12:33 PM
OK, that is what I'm doing, like a half inch per month, but it keeps getting shorter. I guess I used a little heat when my hair was virgin, but with this highlighting, my hair reacts too badly to the combination. Ty for your reply.

I almost don't dare mention it, but that might be a sign that you need to cut more off than just half an inch. I'd do at least 1-2 inches initially; see what that does. It's no use if it keeps breaking off, you want to keep ahead of the damage.