PDA

View Full Version : Oily scalp and fine hair

Pink_Tea
September 3rd, 2016, 04:01 PM
I have very fine hair, and my scalp area gets a bit oily on the second day after a wash. I want to avoid washing it as much. I use dry shampoo and brush it out with a Mason Pearson Boar Bristle Brush but it doesn't seem to help the appearance much. Has anybody got any tips?

Thanks.:)

Phoe
September 3rd, 2016, 04:07 PM
I've personally given up, haha.

The best alternative I've found is to cowash with suave coconut conditioner. Since I still need to wash every day to avoid the greasies, at least by washing with conditioner it's alot gentler than shampooing everyday.

I have had an on and off relationship with dry shampoo and have decided I just don't want to use it anymore. Not fond of having it all in my scalp.

I'll still use shampoo probably twice a week, but using conditioner on the in between days has really helped with my hair's health.

lapushka
September 3rd, 2016, 04:18 PM
I have oily hair as well. Used to need to wash it 2/3 x a week, especially when it was short. Now it's classic length and I have managed (over time) to stretch to a weekly wash. So there is hope, though not everyone can stretch their washes, and I do have to be careful because I also have SD (seborrheic dermatitis).

Try a shampoo that is specifically harsh enough for oily hair, like the Pantene Aqua Light, or the Pantene volumizing shampoo or even the Pantene clarifying shampoo. Those are all great options. If there is a shampoo especially geared towards oily hair, get that. But these are great options as well!

I personally don't use a brush on my scalp, it makes the oil pop up easier for me, plus it disturbs my wave pattern, so I weekly detangle and for the rest of the week, I finger detangle.

Deborah
September 3rd, 2016, 04:21 PM
Do you use conditioner after washing? Maybe you don't need it. Conditioner can weigh down fine hair and make it limp. Some folks use a dilute vinegar rinse or citric acid rinse after washing instead. This might allow you to wash less frequently. It depends on your particular hair.

Good luck!

lapushka
September 3rd, 2016, 04:28 PM
Yes, definitely don't let oil or conditioner (if you use them) touch your scalp!

school of fish
September 3rd, 2016, 04:38 PM
I have the same - fine hair and abundant oil production - and I just don't fight it ;) I wash it every day :D

In my case stretching washes is actually detrimental to the condition of my hair. My sebum is waxy and sticky, and no amount of preening/boar bristle brushing/scritching/what have you is enough to clear the build up - it builds up FAST. 24hr kind of fast. Because it's waxy and sticky, it makes my strands stick together and tangle, and my strands are just too delicate to withstand the manipulation of that detangling. I'm FAR better to just strip everything off regularly :)

I'm a daily washer - it's seriously what my hair likes best :) My compromise toward keeping the washing from being too stripping is to S&C on Tues & Fri, and to CO all the other days of the week. In truth, I could probably S&C daily with no problems (I did it for decades without incident) but this way I go through less product :) My shampoo has sulphates and my conditioner has a light silicone. Those build up less on me than sulphate- and cone- free, and they keep my hair happy :)

It's a very individual thing! My routine is for *my* hair and scalp - others might find it detrimental to their hair. I'm just outlining my routine as an example of someone whose routine and care runs a bit opposite to the concept of wash-stretching and updos ;)

For reference my length is TBL and I wear my hair down every day :)