PDA

View Full Version : Bendy, breaking ends

nijimei
September 2nd, 2016, 07:20 PM
So I don't like to sit idly when watching TV/youtube and I often use that time to search and destroy (because I also HATE splits and love getting rid of them) More recently I feel like I've noticed that I'm getting several of the splits that happen where kinks form in my hair from tangles/knots. I sleep on a satin pillowcase and have my hair up pretty much all of the time, but my hair is the kind that likes sticking to itself so occasional tangles are a fact of life. However if I keep getting these splits and having to trim them off to prevent more damage it's going to take forever to grow my hair to where I want it (It's slightly below waist right now, I would love to get it to at least TBL)

Any tips? I've seen some things about protein treatments, is that something that would help? What specific ones (homemade recipes or store bought) do people recommend?

Salty Sloth
September 2nd, 2016, 07:26 PM
How does your hair react to using oils on it? Applying a little bit of coconut oil on JUST my ends seems to have helped with that tremendously to keep it moisturized and thus less likely to get kinks in it.

vampyyri
September 2nd, 2016, 07:55 PM
I would try things in this order:

Clarify from root to tip
Light protein treatment on the lower half of the hair
Generous moisture treatment (SMT or otherwise)

ETA: As for protein treatments, you could try gelatin (if you're not vegetarian/vegan) or simply a conditioner that has proteins higher up in the ingredients list... I can't give specific suggestions as I myself am a vegetarian... but I do use Suave Coconut conditioner every now and again for a bit of protein.

nijimei
September 2nd, 2016, 07:59 PM
According to internet hair science* my hair is low porosity so coconut just likes to sit on top and make it greasy (which I have observed) Just last week I recently bought a hair oil blend that is made with jojoba which supposedly is an oil that is good for my hair? I only put a little on after my full wash, and my ends did feel very nice throughout the day. How often do you oil? only after washing or also on non-wash days?

*I am mildly skeptical of the "drop your hair in water and see if it sinks/floats" porosity test because while it seems to come up a lot I haven't seen anyone showing side by side comparisons of low, high and medium porosity hair doing their respective things in water, and the hair Youtubers that mention it don't actually talk about doing the test themselves! So while it theoretically makes sense I haven't seen any data besides my own.

lapushka
September 3rd, 2016, 04:17 AM
Any tips? I've seen some things about protein treatments, is that something that would help? What specific ones (homemade recipes or store bought) do people recommend?

I think moisture is key to prevent splits. If your hair isn't stretchy when wet, it doesn't need protein. Virgin hair rarely needs a full boost (special separate treatment) of protein. The occasional conditioner has a nice mixture of protein and moisture, which should keeps things well-balanced.

Maybe look into rinse-out oil and the LOC treatment for styling (both links are in my signature).

Johannah
September 3rd, 2016, 07:34 AM
What is your hair care routine at this moment? It's hard to give advice without this information.

Anje
September 3rd, 2016, 10:03 AM
Protein treatments can be hit and miss. Clarify first, and it you want to try protein, be prepared to do a moisture treatment after in case your hair comes out super stiff or tangly. But ends typically are the part of hair that's likely to have lost protein, so it's worth a try.

But clarify first, shampooing the length and ends directly. Often that's all it takes, and it's an easy fix.

Arctic
September 3rd, 2016, 10:12 AM
According to internet hair science* my hair is low porosity so coconut just likes to sit on top and make it greasy (which I have observed) Just last week I recently bought a hair oil blend that is made with jojoba which supposedly is an oil that is good for my hair? I only put a little on after my full wash, and my ends did feel very nice throughout the day. How often do you oil? only after washing or also on non-wash days?

*I am mildly skeptical of the "drop your hair in water and see if it sinks/floats" porosity test because while it seems to come up a lot I haven't seen anyone showing side by side comparisons of low, high and medium porosity hair doing their respective things in water, and the hair Youtubers that mention it don't actually talk about doing the test themselves! So while it theoretically makes sense I haven't seen any data besides my own.

You are correct in suspecting the float test. It's not an accurate way of measuring hair's porosity for various reasons (google or search this forum for me, it's been brought up at least weekly). Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any reliable DIY tests. Most people seem to go by comparing the characteristics of their own hair to porosity indicators they have read.

Cheniaa
September 3rd, 2016, 10:47 AM
...Protein might be right for you tbh. I know what you mean about the bendy, breaking ends. Keeping up with protein treatments has probably cut my breakage by at least half. look For the word "hydrolyzed" in front of a protein ingredient ( that means it been made small enough to penetrate the hair shaft)and make sure the protein is within the first seven ingredients or so... Komaza hair care makes a really good one, so the internet tells me , it's called "protein strengthening conditioner." Make sure you follow up with a really deep hydrating conditioning session afterwards, as protein can be drying.

Yes, protein isn't right for every hair type but for breaking, weak ends it can be just the thing you need.

nijimei
September 3rd, 2016, 12:40 PM
Johannah CWC once a week--I currently use the HE Hello Hydration for shampoo and a Pantene moisturizing conditioner dupe. (I just started CWC like two weeks ago though) After wash and towel dry I put the Macademia leave-in cream on the lengths, and a little bit of jojoba based oil on the ends (again today was only the second time that I've done the jojoba) I detangle and remove shed hair in the morning and at night with a plastic wide-tooth comb, moving from ends to roots. I almost never wear my hair down, it's either in a cinnabun with a claw clip or a simple hair stick bun pretty much from when I get up to before I braid it to sleep. The products listed above are pretty much the only things that go in my hair

lapushka
September 3rd, 2016, 03:40 PM
Johannah CWC once a week--I currently use the HE Hello Hydration for shampoo and a Pantene moisturizing conditioner dupe. (I just started CWC like two weeks ago though) After wash and towel dry I put the Macademia leave-in cream on the lengths, and a little bit of jojoba based oil on the ends (again today was only the second time that I've done the jojoba) I detangle and remove shed hair in the morning and at night with a plastic wide-tooth comb, moving from ends to roots. I almost never wear my hair down, it's either in a cinnabun with a claw clip or a simple hair stick bun pretty much from when I get up to before I braid it to sleep. The products listed above are pretty much the only things that go in my hair

I see nothing wrong with your routine TBH. But to eliminate the fact that it maybe is one of the products, do clarify-wash. Use a different shampoo for that definitely. The HE HH shampoo is a moisturizing one typically for dry hair. If you have oily hair, this is the wrong shampoo to use.

Maybe try the Pantene clarifying shampoo, the Pantene Aqua Light or the Pantene volumizing shampoo. All 3 are great. Use it to clarify, then follow up with a nice deep conditioner / mask. Repeat next wash if it's not enough.

nijimei
September 3rd, 2016, 09:52 PM
Lapushka thank you for the shampoo recommendations! It definitely seems that there is a consensus to try a clarifying shampoo. I'll definitely check that out! I do not have oily hair--in fact I have severe eczema so my scalp is extremely dry. I wish there were a way to moisturize that too without literally putting lotion in my hair!

lapushka
September 4th, 2016, 07:14 AM
Lapushka thank you for the shampoo recommendations! It definitely seems that there is a consensus to try a clarifying shampoo. I'll definitely check that out! I do not have oily hair--in fact I have severe eczema so my scalp is extremely dry. I wish there were a way to moisturize that too without literally putting lotion in my hair!

In that case try the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration shampoo. It is for dry hair, and might hydrate better. Forget that I mentioned the harsher shampoos, you'll be better off with one for dry hair.