PDA

View Full Version : Air drying question

dansyl
September 2nd, 2016, 06:39 PM
I'm trying really hard to air dry my hair when I wash instead of straightening. I love to damp bun but I don't get nice bun waves... I get gross kinks. If I let is dry without bunning it's frizzy. I can use cream and gel and it looks good and not frizzy... but i'd love to be able to just let it dry. I'm not a huge fan of the feeling of product in my hair.

lunasea
September 2nd, 2016, 06:53 PM
I air dry and that night I wrap my hair around my head and cover it tightly with a silk scarf. That straightens it and minimizes frizz. I NEVER get completely rid of the frizz. Something like this. I don't have to wet it at all. I keep it in place with duck bill clips until I get the scarf on and then open them and slide them out. Takes me about 2 minutes but I've gotten a lot of practice over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEM9DLk8Zuk

dansyl
September 2nd, 2016, 07:25 PM
ohhhhh thanks! i may try this tomorrow! I'll keep you posted.

lunasea
September 2nd, 2016, 07:32 PM
I pull down on the tail of the scarf in the back to make it even snugger. And, sometimes I use a Wrapunzel essential (http://www.wrapunzel.com/product/no-slip-headband/) to keep the scarf in place overnight. I just put it on before I slip the clips out. Good Luck!

Johannah
September 3rd, 2016, 07:49 AM
Let me know the results, dansyl. I'm curious. :o

Anje
September 3rd, 2016, 09:53 AM
Moisture, leave-ins, and less handling can keep the frizz down, but I can relate to just wanting to let it be. I don't like product either. (I do hope you're not straightening it wet; that can be hugely damaging and might contribute to your frizz. You'd probably be better off blow drying it warm and then straightening it when totally dry if you want it flat ironed.)

You might try a different bun for damp binning. I get odd kinks from cinnamon buns, but fewer from beebutt buns or twisted lazy wrap buns, probably because they don't have a sharp twisted turn right next to the scalp. Untwisted buns give me cool waves too, but of a different sort.

dansyl
September 3rd, 2016, 10:14 AM
I would never straighten wet lol. If I straighten I wait for it to be completely dry. I sometimes blow dry on warm before. I've tried different buns. Maybe I should try a damp braid??

Anje
September 3rd, 2016, 11:34 AM
Damp braids are pretty common for me, as they dry fairly quickly while buns take forever. Different kind of waves, but they're cool. I wrap my asking ends around my finger and smooth them for a while, which can get them to curl if I stick to it a bit.

Edit: Drying in a braid now, actually, because I had to go out. Here's an end curl from wrapping around my finger.
http://i.imgur.com/dLAn0mB.jpg

Anya15
September 3rd, 2016, 12:48 PM
Going to watch this thread because I have the same problem. Terrible frizz from air drying and damp braiding/bunning just increases drying time (it already takes forever to dry when loose...)

JustPam
September 3rd, 2016, 01:16 PM
My hair doesn't lose the frizz until the next day, whether I air dry or blow dry, only difference is blow drying makes my baby hairs crazy. Once it's dry I'll spritz it a bit with watered down AVG and put it up, and that'll usually set it. Damp braiding/bunning does me no favours either.