PDA

View Full Version : Heat protectant

Ponymad21
August 30th, 2016, 07:53 AM
What is the best heat protectant? And should I use it over or under the oils that I use?

Nique1202
August 30th, 2016, 08:20 AM
The best heat protectant is having 100% bone-dry hair before you start pulling a straightener through it or using a curling iron. That means no oils and minimal conditioner (like, no leave-ins) before styling. Spray-in heat protectants will add water to the hair which the hair is going to soak up pretty quickly, and if you put a straightener or a curling iron on the hair when it's got water in it that tiny droplet of water can instantly boil and explode, causing extreme damage to the hair in that spot on its way out. Any oil in the hair will essentially deep fry it.

If you're just blow-drying your hair, keep the temperature low enough that your hand can stay in the air stream and you don't need any kind of protectant. Otherwise, save the product for after you style it.

The Ubiquitous
August 30th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Interesting about the oil. I rarely straughten my lengths but when i do that's what I use because without anything my hair gets damaged.

Johannah
August 30th, 2016, 08:36 AM
I'd suggest serums with *a lot* of silicons... Or just no heat at all :lol:

lapushka
August 30th, 2016, 09:21 AM
Interesting about the oil. I rarely straughten my lengths but when i do that's what I use because without anything my hair gets damaged.

Try and check if your hair has any "white dots" along the strands. That *is* damage. You're lucky if you don't have that!

ETA:
There is no such thing as the best or a good heat protectant; it's all in how you handle the hair. If you set your straightener or curling iron on the hottest setting, or it is one without heat settings, well... it's only a matter of time, even with heat protectant.

vampyyri
August 30th, 2016, 09:34 AM
The best heat protectant is not using heat :lol:

You gotta think, if it burns your skin, what do you think it's doing to your hair? But I digress, just use the lowest setting on your hot tool, and I personally used to use the Tresemme one.

The Ubiquitous
August 30th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Try and check if your hair has any "white dots" along the strands. That *is* damage. You're lucky if you don't have that!

Sometimes but not very often tbh. I haven't had a cut for about 5 months now and I don't s&d so over the last few weeks I've started noticing my ends getting a bit course which is a sign that I'll start getting split ends if I don't get a trim soon.

CarrotTop
August 30th, 2016, 04:30 PM
When I do curl my hair with heat, I like the Silk Elements spray heat protectant. It's mostly silicones, with very little water, and it seems to do a good job of protecting my hair. However, I still try to minimize my heat use– I use heat once every three months, if that, and even then, I only curl a few sections of my hair instead of adding curls all over.