PDA

View Full Version : Practicing Hair Awareness & Gratitude

Alissalocks
August 29th, 2016, 07:52 AM
I'm now practicing "Hair awareness", this is what I said to my husband. I think LHCers know what I'm getting at, that hyper aware sense of what is happening to your hair (is it being pulled unnecessarily, am I leaning/sitting on it, is it going to be protected from this activity/current environment) and the desire to protect it.

Got to thinking about how awareness and gratitude are often linked together in spiritual matters, and how both help one's attitude towards their hair and its own unique traits and challenges. I am grateful to find a better acceptance of my own hair after reading lots here at LHC -- when I gave up perms in the early 90s I had this kinda moment, when I truly vowed never to perm again, and that having stick straight hair was what I needed to accept. I dreamed of perfect, ringlet curls. But alas, such would never be the case. (Thankfully straight hair became more mainstream (90s and beyond) and we quit pushing for "more volume, more curl" in every product and every style).

Acceptance can be such a huge part of cultivating gratitude. The commercial industry does not like self acceptance, and markets accordingly. How liberating to find this forum and see my fine hair as "gossamer" and my uneven ends as "fairy tale." What a lovely way to accept what I am given, thank you all! How important to strive for *health*, not an unachievable goal that goes against my genetics, but simply...healthy hair!

What at are you hair-aware of? What are you hair-grateful for?

browneyedsusan
August 29th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Great idea for a thread!

I'm aware of keeping my hair away from the seat belt and purse strap. I wear it up or tie it back for work, because my job is physical. :) I'm also aware that there pros and cons to everything. More length means more awareness is necessary. More length sets us apart from our peers, but it gets harder to wear the hair down. It's all a trade-off.

I'm SO grateful that it looks as good as it does. Ya, it's not Spidermom's hair -- my first hair idol, and I'm still captivated by her texture and thickness -- , but it's what I've got, and I keep it as awesome as I can. So what if it's super-slippery? Cinnabuns and rope braids are impossible, but the slip keeps it from tangling, so I can wear it down if I want, and there are other styles I can do.

I'm also grateful for this community that taught me that long growth IS possible -- my glass ceiling was CBL. It hadn't been below my shoulders since I was 8 -- and it's okay to keep it long, hennaed, and put some Manic Panic in, even if I'm 50. :lala: I do what I want!

Horrorpops
August 29th, 2016, 08:25 AM
I like this idea OP!

As an aside I think in many ways more hair types are celebrated these days in media and magazines. There is a lot more variety than the 80's perm or 90's straight/grunge style and I wonder if that helps people at all. Or if it just makes everyone want to have a different hair type - the grass is always greener on the other side and all that.

I am (trying to be) hair aware of wearing it up and away from potential tangles and damage.
I am hair-grateful for its thickness and resilience given the amount of damage it sustained I am grateful my scalp is still growing hair :laugh:

Johannah
August 29th, 2016, 08:34 AM
I love this thread already. Such a nice way to turn things hard to accept into something positive!

I've always been aware of my hair color and my thin ends. I used to hate my hair color because it wasn't light enough (I really like light blonde), but then people on tLHC started to comment on how lovely and 'golden' it looks. I loved the word golden so much. Since then I've been thinking about my hair as 'golden blonde' and that definitely helped to accept it. Now I'm in love with my hair color. I wouldn't change it for anything. My thin ends are getting better since microtrimming, but still LHC members helped me as well. Sometimes you just see things in a really bad way and others can help you to take a step back and think about your hair in a less emotional way. And then you notice the situation isn't as bad as you thought...

Sapeli
August 29th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Good points to think!

To me to handle hair naturally is the biggest thing. I can't avoid most of the chemical burden in my environment, but I can surely make my own decisions on what I put on to my hair and skin. So I try to make ecologial choices, like not colouring my hair. And now my next level is WO and airdrying. I try to treat my hair with kindness to get it longer and maybe get it blossom like I have never seen before.

I'm trying to be thankful for what I have, even if it is still sometimese difficult with all magnificent hairs around. I like my hair little more every day as I get to know it better as there has been quite a change in my hair after starting WO. Patience is not my strongest side and that my hair can also teach me. :o

I appreciate the supportiveness, positiveness and acceptance in this forum. Thank you for welcoming me! It is so nice to make a daily visit in this forum. ;)

HairPlease
August 29th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Lovely thread idea.
I'm trying to be more aware of my hair rubbing against fabric, in seat-backs, pillows, sofas, and other like things. That is a big cause of breakage and tangles for me. I'm also trying to raise my self-acceptance of my natural color. I've forgotten what it even is by now.

lithostoic
August 29th, 2016, 09:05 AM
That's what I'm in the process of doing. Trying to accept my fickle texture, straight one wash, messy the next. And my hair color that can't seem to decide if it's blonde(ish) or brown(ish). And the fine hair at the front of my head that separates from the rest, puzzling hairdressers and frustratingly, making my hair look oily.

Cg
August 29th, 2016, 09:18 AM
This is a great, positive thread! It's wonderful to see such optimism and enjoyment of what nature gave us, all different, and all beautiful in its own unique way.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
August 29th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Awesome! What a wonderful idea.

Before relaxers and hair-irons my ancestors would whirl curly hair for the straight effect. Apartheid brought with it a divide and a need to have that which we did not; the desire that having straight hair meant a person could be accepted.

We are still overcoming these human instilled inadequacies.
I am hair-aware that I have curly hair and I love it.
I am grateful that without heat or chemical processing I can have both curly or straight hair.
I am grateful for those who walked the path before me, to encourage and share their knowledge and wisdom on hair care.
I am grateful for the joy of growth and life - ever growing my hair

vampyyri
August 29th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Awareness:
Protective styles daily, always up in a bun or braided.
I stopped treating my hair like it was straight—I was taking advice from my sister who is a 1a/F/ii and it wasn't working. I found a routine that works for me.

Gratefulness:
Boost in self confidence now that I'm taking care of it instead of chopping it all of like I used to.
I'm really over the moon grateful to everyone that I've encountered on here, I love this community so much!

Anya15
August 29th, 2016, 09:38 PM
This is such a great thread!

While I never chemically treated or colored my hair, I never really liked it growing up...it was wavy and I combed/brushed the hell out of it and I got poof :lol:

I have always wanted curls, real curls but now I have come to like my hair the way it is...it's so versatile, I can wear it wavy-curly one day and straight-ish the next. I also never have to worry about getting perfect "beachy" waves - that's third-day hair for me! XD

I have always had a hang-up over my hair color though...always wished it was lighter. But the folks here at LHC tell me that it's beautiful, which makes me feel better :D

Alissalocks
August 30th, 2016, 06:24 PM

Before relaxers and hair-irons my ancestors would whirl curly hair for the straight effect. Apartheid brought with it a divide and a need to have that which we did not; the desire that having straight hair meant a person could be accepted.

I think what you shared here really made me realize how much nationality and politics can play into this same question, thank you so much for writing this.

I really love reading everyone's responses in this thread, it is very uplifting to shift focus to what is good, when so often we can get our emotions wrapped into the problematic issues with our hair. Hope more will continue to share. :)

Tassledown
August 31st, 2016, 12:59 AM
I love how much simply being aware of what my hair is like has helped me to realize I CAN maintain very long hair at all. I love how knowing my hair and finally figuring out what style I truly want has done so much for me learning what my style is overall.

So I suppose you could say I'm "hair-aware" that I must treat my hair the way it needs, and not the way everyone might tell me it needs.
I'm "hair-aware" that as long as I do not expect my hair to be something it is not, I am capable of doing everything it needs to thrive.

I'm "hair-grateful" that this learning process has taught me so much about myself overall and how I need to approach other parts of my life (no, really, it has.)
I'm "hair-grateful" that loving my hair properly makes it gorgeous and lets me do so many things that feel perfect for the style I want to have.

Thank you very much for this thread!

ravenheather
August 31st, 2016, 06:37 AM
LHC has definitely taught me acceptance of my color and texture. I never appreciated how silky my fine hair is. Or that my tapered ends could be considered ethereal. I spent many years cutting, dying and perming my hair but not any more. I want my hair to be it's natural best now.

Although lhc has also made me greedy for longer hair. Knee length hair was never even on my radar before. I will be patient and see what good care and my genetics allows:meditate:

Rhoward
September 2nd, 2016, 01:45 AM
Wonderful idea for a thread,
Awareness
Protective styles
satin pillowcases and loose braids
Not washing more than twice a week even when I work out, water rinse works fine
Treating it gently, long trashed hair is never as pretty as short healthy hair.

Gratitude
I am so grateful for this site and for finally (after 4 years of stupidity) listening to the wonderful ladies here and taking responsibility for the state my hair was in and really starting to care of my hair instead of trying to change it all the time! Thank you all so much
Henndigo
My $6 generic creaclip
How much my hair has improved in only a few short months

lapushka
September 2nd, 2016, 03:06 AM
I have always wanted curls, real curls but now I have come to like my hair the way it is...it's so versatile, I can wear it wavy-curly one day and straight-ish the next. I also never have to worry about getting perfect "beachy" waves - that's third-day hair for me! XD

Same here. We always want what we haven't got eh? :lol:

I had my share of perms while on here too. They weren't bad, but did leave me with a lot of damage.

I think the curl enhancing smoothie by Shea Moisture is about as close as I'm going to get. That product is awesome. It puts me on the brink of curls, having a number more ringlets.

Anya15
September 3rd, 2016, 12:58 PM
Same here. We always want what we haven't got eh? :lol:

I had my share of perms while on here too. They weren't bad, but did leave me with a lot of damage.

I think the curl enhancing smoothie by Shea Moisture is about as close as I'm going to get. That product is awesome. It puts me on the brink of curls, having a number more ringlets.

I've been wanting to buy this but it's too expensive. And I want to figure out what my hair wants lol. My conditioner has humectants and it's very humid already so my hair is feeling meh. Thinking of trying cones for a bit.

Daylilly
September 3rd, 2016, 01:29 PM
I never use heat anymore, I oil my hair, I never comb my hair wet. Now after almost two years my thin dishwater blonde hair is shiny and healthy and I love it.

TheCurlyMermaid
November 27th, 2017, 05:13 PM

I am grateful that without heat or chemical processing I can have both curly or straight hair.
I am grateful for those who walked the path before me, to encourage and share their knowledge and wisdom on hair care.
I am grateful for the joy of growth and life - ever growing my hair

I love this!
I've always been aware of laying on my hair or getting it caught up under my purse strap.
I personally am becoming more aware of my hair just rubbing on clothing. I've been putting it up more often to prevent the constant friction of it being down and on my clothes.
I've also become more aware of the breakage caused by brushes and combs and have now moved to finger combing which is a more connecting experience anyway. I am more aware of what I'm doing. I am consciously removing knots- not just mindlessly raking a comb through my hair.

I am grateful for many of the same things as Kat-Rinné, especially that I can choose my texture without the use of heat (especially since I've sworn off heat for the next 36 months).
I am grateful for the lessons my hair journal is teaching me: ie. self-care, patience, gentleness, strength (to not bleach, cut or use heat), and loving myself in my natural form! :blossom:

GalaMoon
November 28th, 2017, 12:02 AM
Such a positive thread!
I'm aware that I have fine, fragile hair and I treat it as such, down to the smallest details. It makes me cringe when I remember how I used to treat my hair, feels like a horror movie I want to forget. Now, whenever something comes near my hair, the first thing on my mind is: will it cause damage?
I'm grateful that I finally made peace with my hair, I used to hate everything about it: it's natural color, the texture, the messy look. Now I've learned to accept it and to love it. Took me a long time and this place has helped me a great deal, so I'm gratefull I found you, people of LHC

leayellena
November 28th, 2017, 12:03 AM
awareness:
washing when needed. it's usually every week or twice a week.
my hair has lost the unnatural pumped-up volume and I love it.
I stopped scratching my scalp like a maniac and honestly it feel better.
I am aware that my hair will never be squicky clean and natural oils can now do what they're supposed to do.
I am aware that my hair may look "weighted down" (now I know it means unmpumped volume or sticking up cowlicks) because of buns and sheer weight and length of my hair (loving it).
I am aware that my hair is quite on the straighter side of wavy and it can get frizzy and dry.
I am aware that I can tuck ALL of my strands in a braid or an updo. the flyaways are enough for a face framing or a messy look (when they happen to stick out).

gratitude:
I don't go bald if I let my hair grow (stupid people believing such idiocy because they're plain lazy to check their health with a doctor)
I learn how to treat my hair and no, my hair is not supposed to be curly. the curls were there because of layers (still having them, planning to get rid of them when I reach class with trims)
I look better with my hair long but even better with a put together updo.
I look sleak, put together, professional, clean... everything classic with an updo.
I wash my hair when I feel like it and not to tame the cowlicks.
no more cowlicks and bad hair days.
braiding my sleep bun is my go to bun.
when back pains in summer, the nautilus is my go to bun or the braided bun or the braided nautilus.
my hair is my fitness: 20 seconds to 10 mins. are enough of working my back muscles. more than that would bring me unibearable pains.
no more messy look! :heartbeat
co-washed, weighted down, oily or simply straight hair problems. people won't care.
being able to focus on my daily tasks without my hair on the way or feeling like a gif image always checking out how my layers frame my face or how my cowlick makes me look bald.
no more paying hairdressers who don't know the difference between straight and curly unless you pin the hairs in their eyes.
saving the money from hairdressing to buy: conditioner, hair toys and oils.
saving time (micro) trimming at home.
not being upset because the hairdresser has chopped my hair instead of trimming it.
not needing to heat style my hair (hah!).
least but not last: my beanies stay put on my head. I have short neck and the whole mess(y) of the hair(s) were moving the beanie so much I had to stop every 10 min. to tuck the beanie on my head.
and finally: no more breakage and friction with: pillows, beanies, shirts, pullovers, wind.

browneyedsusan
December 2nd, 2017, 09:22 AM
It does grow.

I've broken through my glass ceiling of APL, and am beginning to realize that I do have long hair? It still feels so surreal sometimes.

I know how to take care of my hair now.

I'm aware that I need to protect it when I sleep, or on windy days. :)

_fred_
December 3rd, 2017, 04:26 AM
I love this thread :heart:

Awareness:

Longer hair suits me better. Shorter hair is harder for me to control and needs a lot of styling. Although short hair really suits me when the stylist does it, it only suits me when the stylist does it - with my hair texture it can turn into a haystack when short. I can get the same face-flattering effect as short hair with long hair tied back, and it's so much quicker, kinder and easier.

S&D is a necessary part of life! And way more effective than regular trimming.

My hair is wavy. This is why it's always been an uncontrollable mess. It's not a moral failing (something I've had to learn and re-learn ad infinitum) that my hair doesn't look tidy when it's down. It just plain doesn't, and there's no amount of brushing that will help (regardless what other people think), and there's nothing I can do to make it sit tidily when it's down without paying someone to use heat on it. but I can make it look neat, tidy and well put together with a simple up-do.

I'm more aware now of what my hair's doing, what it's touching, and what's happening to it.

I can't wear my hair down in the wind, even at the midpoint between SL and APL this is a recipe for tangles.

I'm more aware now of the effects of different shampoos - for example I was using Lush Montelbano to force fade some temporary colour recently, and wow it works beautifully for that, but it makes my roots so dry - which has the benefit of meaning I can stretch washes a little further, but the issue of dryness everywhere. Swapping back to Lush Honey shampoo bar (because I'm no longer encouraging a fade) and it doesn't strip out the oils anywhere near as thoroughly, so my hair's more moisturised after. It does mean I need to wash slightly more often, but with CWC this is having a really good effect on my hair.

I'm beginning to notice my hair getting long enough to get caught under bag straps, bra straps etc. if it's down. And I'm beginning to wonder if I ought to try tying it back at night. I'm not sure I can sleep with it up, and I don't fancy wearing a sleeping cap, but maybe a braid might work.

It's now long enough that I can dye the ends and hide them away when I want to. This did get me accused of having very restrained hair on Friday, until I took it down to show the purple.

Gratitude:

My texture lets me put my hair up and it stays where I've put it. Mostly!

I can get a mix of ringlets and softer curls if I airdry without interference. I can get smooth, manageable tangle-free hair if I tie it up in specific ways to air dry, with gentle intervention (from wide toothed coming, and hand manipulation). And if I use my curlformers, I can get a head of amazing ringlets, and they stay in place.

It's thick enough that it looks like there's tons of it when I wear it down.

When I get home from work and take my hair down for a while, it feels like it's getting long again!

It's odd, but going back to long hair feels right. I've had shorter hair for years now, and it was fun, but it's time to have long hair again, and I'm very grateful that I can. How long, who knows, but it's a good journey finding out.